Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,260 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:28 AM

FLAT 5 By Winifred Oti - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / FLAT 5 By Winifred Oti (702 Views)

OFFICE PALAVA, Episode 1, With Chinyere Winifred / The Misunderstood Woman By Winifred Oti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

FLAT 5 By Winifred Oti by Bettyfair09(f): 10:56am On Jul 04, 2018
Hi everyone,

I’m starting a story series titled FLAT 5.

Copyright © Winifred Oti, 2018.

Email: bettyfair09@gmail.com
Facebook: https://web./385741451890918/?
Blog: www.mystorybook.com.ng

Everyone is invited. Thanks.

FLAT 5 - EPISODE 1

As a new corper that was posted to PH city, there was no accommodation for corpers as we expected.

And before our last day in the NYSC camp, we have heard stories of how expensive PH city can be.

We got to know about such from our fellow corp members that were staying in Ph city and worked their way to serve in the same city.

That’s when you know the importance of having a Godfather.

We Igbo babes, call it IM (Ima mmadu).

So as I was luckily posted to town, to a private school at RUMUOKOROCHI.

There was no accommodation for me as a corper.

And if you see the attitude they give to corpers in PH City, you will just fasten your belt before they replace you with another willing corper.

They all feel as if they are doing you a favor by accepting you, talk more about giving you an accommodation.

That one is asking for too much.

But in my case, that wasn’t the biggest problem I had.

One of my problems was that PH City was a new environment for me.

That was actually the first time I got to know the city.

With that, it was really difficult to find my way around as it pertained to finding a place.

But it was a little easy as I met a fellow corp member that was in the same shoes with me.

Her name is Juliet!

So Juliet and I joined hands together in search of a place.

We didn’t mind staying together because we were both posted at same school.

But we equally needed a place that will be close to our PPA (place of primary assignment).

At a point in our search, we found out that we couldn’t handle it alone.

So we had to implore the services of house agents.

They showed us many places, but the problem we had with most of the houses was that they were far from our PPA.

We almost gave up on the search, until one of the agents called us that fateful Sunday evening to show us a place.

We were excited as we saw the place because it was very close to our PPA.

“I just wonder where we kept our eyes all these while that we didn’t see here,” Juliet said to me.

It was a two-storey building with two rooms’ apartment and one room self-contained.

Although the house-rent was on a high side, we gladly took it.

We were on the second floor, Flat 4.

It was the segment of the one-room self-contained.

We were so excited that we parked in the next day.

That was the most stressful day of our lives.

We spent the whole day in the market and supermarkets.

Buying the necessary things to put in the house.

“Chai! ADANNA, we have finished our whole ‘alawee’ for this house oo. The eleven months allowance don finish.”

“Hmm…Juliet, you still get mouth to talk, thank God for the kind of parents we both have. They are more concerned about our comfort, If not; na for that general NFCS lodge we both for the stay.”

“Well, you are right Ada.”

“Are we going to sleep here tonight?”

“Why not? Are you still asking? We have all we need for now.”

“So tomorrow we will go and carry our bags from that general lodge bah?”

“Yes oo Ada. I’m very happy.”

As we were still trying to get the whole place in order so that we can move around and find something to eat, we got a knock on our door.

“Hmm! Who is that biko (Please)? Abi compound levy don start already?” I asked as I walked to get the door.

It was a young girl in her early twenties.

“Good evening corper!”

“Same to you dear.”

“I came to welcome you people to our compound. Can I come in?”

“Sure!” I replied as I paved the way for her to enter.

She walked straight into our room because the sitting room was still empty with no seats.

“Good evening second corper!” she greeted Juliet.

“Same to you dear, you are welcome,” Juliet replied.

I was still expectant as my look gave me away.

“First corper (she said pointing at me), what’s your name?”

At that point, I was already getting irritated with the nosiness, as I wanted to give her a stupid answer.

“At least I know I should be older than her.”

But I guess, Juliet read my mind and interrupted my rude response with her reply.

“Her name is ADANNA!”

“Hmm! I bu onye Igbo (You are an Igbo girl).”

“Yes! I’m from Anambra,” I replied as the spirit of rudeness left me.

“Chi..ne..ke..(OMG!) no wonder.”

“No wonder what?” I inquisitively asked.

“No wonder I just liked you at first sight. Chai! You are my village girl.”

Immediately, Juliet burst into a loud laugh.

“Yes oo, she is your village girl,” Juliet sarcastically added.

I was already losing it with her.

“Yes oo, we are from the same village. You (pointing at Juliet what’s your name?”

“I’m Juliet.”

“Chai! Nice name. You people are welcome”.

“Thank you. But you haven’t told us your name oo.”

“Sorry. My name is CHIDINMA.”

“Your name is sweet too,” I said.

“Thank You corper Ada.”

“See, I brought food, pepper soup and some drink for you people. My mother is the owner of that restaurant across the road, so she said I should bring all these to welcome you corpers.”

“OMG! Thank you, dear, help us thank your mother. We appreciate,” I said in excitement.

“Chai! Chidinma, you are automatically our friend now oo. Which flat are you people staying?”

“Flat 3. First floor.”

“It’s alright. We will come and thank your mother later…okay!” Juliet said in appreciation.

“It’s alright, let me get back to the restaurant.”

“Alright, Bye,” I said as I walked her to the door and locked the door after her.

“Hmmm…God hears prayers oo. See plenty enjoyment, Ada!”

“My dear, this is actually the first gift in PH city.”

As we were still talking about Chidinma’s mother’s gesture, we heard very loud music from downstairs.

It was so loud that it drew our attention to the balcony.

It was a Toyota Highlander SUV, with three guys and two posh looking girls.

They made a loud noise with the music from their car.

And it didn’t stop there oo.

They carried the girls to sit on the boot of the car and started showing them affection publicly.

“Hmm! ADA are these crazy guys staying here?”

As I was about responding to Juliet’s question, Chidinma was passing and saw us peeping from upstairs.

I gave her the 'come' signal with my hands, and she climbed up.

I opened the door to ask her if those guys or girls stay here.

“Please are those guys staying here?” Juliet and I asked coincidentally.

“Yes oo. They are your next door neighbors.”

“They stay in Flat 5.”

Click here http://mystorybook.com.ng/flat-5-episode-2/ to read the next episode.

(1) (Reply)

The Flower Girl Episode 5 / How To Use This Exclamation To Instantly Improve Your Relationship With Someone / I Have Found My Cue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.