Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,230 members, 7,807,765 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:46 PM

Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright (54125 Views)

Mr Eazi Has Apologized To Me Over Copyright Infringement – Zaaki Azzay / Specdo Calls Out Davido Over Copyright Infringement / "One Corner" Dance At Yomi Casual's Wedding (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Empiree: 1:11pm On Jul 07, 2018

Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by BluntBoy(m): 1:11pm On Jul 07, 2018
aribisala0:

This is part of the distortion of international trade.

Copyights are not necessarily accepted across borders and smart countries play hardball on this issue

You say you are "sure" Britain has such relations. You are assuming or guessing . You are very far from sure

Is it a wrong thing to assume when one is not sure

The world is a global village and even if copyrights can't be enforced globally, certain measures are still put in place by countries to protect the copyrights of foreigners whose countries have copyright relations with them.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by kunlesehan(m): 1:11pm On Jul 07, 2018
Jeezuzpick:

Research without acknowledgment is still plagiarism.

True talk
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 07, 2018
DCTrendy:
Copy right of 22nd June, 2018. WHo is copying who among una??

UK registered trade mark? Lets assume Yomi copied them, is this actually a crime in Nigeria??

enlightened folks educate me please.
Thanks.

I think the complainant had to get the trademark done to protect the interest of his brand. It must have existed before Yomi's.

Perhaps on citing yomi using the same concept as his brand he quickly got the trademark done before he went for yomi casual, he wouldn't have made any sense telling yomi to stop using that name without tendering a valide trademark.

It's not a crime in Nigeria, the trademark is valid worldwide and cannot be used anywhere for commercial products.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by maxtreme: 1:13pm On Jul 07, 2018
potbelly:
Choplifegang is different from choplife

The end...
Abi o foolish folks.
Their's is CHOPLIFE! , That is different from CHOPLIFEGANG, Even different from CHOPLIFE Without the ! exclamation mark.

Let them go to court the fools cannot win.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by BluntBoy(m): 1:15pm On Jul 07, 2018
Sanchez01:
This could be the handiwork of saboteurs. A trademark registered in less than a week.

Well, there is a huge difference between 'CHOPLIFE' and 'CHOP LIFE GANG'. Yomi Casual would need to emphasize the 'gang' in his to tell the world they are not the same.

Oh shocked I just saw the letter now.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by PropertyDeals(f): 1:22pm On Jul 07, 2018
Proprietary issues.

And you should check my signature.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by aribisala0(m): 1:24pm On Jul 07, 2018
BluntBoy:

Is it a wrong thing to assume when one is not sure

The world is a global village and even if copyrights can't be enforced globally, certain measures are still put in place by countries to protect the copyrights of foreigners whose countries have copyright relations with them.

I do not accept that any such relationship exists between Nigeria and Britain.

Ei incumbio probatio qui dicit non qui negat

It is incumbent on he who declares a thing to prove it and not on he who denies it to disprove the claim

The reason copyrights are not enforceable globally is that countres will always act first in their own interest and so you MUST register your copyrght in each country.

The internet is a different space and legislation lags behind technology

The current state of play is each country or bloc(like the EU) has control within its own space and extension of this to other jurisdictions is NOT automatic.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 07, 2018
DCTrendy:
Copy right of 22nd June, 2018. WHo is copying who among una??

UK registered trade mark? Lets assume Yomi copied them, is this actually a crime in Nigeria??

enlightened folks educate me please.
Thanks.
@ BluntBoy^^^^ the bolded... Chop life is a #9j thing and this was done on the 22nd of June...my point exactly. Whether it's in design or concept, the UK version may just be an harbinger of some sort. Again, Chop life UK my black ass.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Nonymillz: 1:25pm On Jul 07, 2018
Naijal:
He might not be aware such a sentence existed as a trademarked company elsewhere.

chop life sounds to me like the normal wey we say enjoy life in pidgin.
Don't mind them... Na regular lyrics we dey use for here
E.g "See,...my guy don choplife oo ''
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by aribisala0(m): 1:29pm On Jul 07, 2018
The fact of the matter is that Chop life can never be granted a patent in Nigeria any more than the phrase
"Na Wa O" or

Khaki no be leather

Such things are part of common heritage and ordinarily would not be given trademark just like similar common phrases in the UK

Imagine someone goes to the UK to get a patent for moinmoin in the UK and it is granted out of Ignorance. Would Nigeria accept that?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 07, 2018
choplife! chop life gang. not the same
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 07, 2018
That's why I don't like telling people my ideas. They will just steal them. angry angry angry
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by TellMeNothing: 1:42pm On Jul 07, 2018
CANDYDADDY:
shocked

what wrong with these shitty uk, us and their meaningless accusations

Na so upcoming 'The weekend' accused Wizkid of using 'starboy' as his record's name

The Weekend Upcoming? Don't let his over 100 million fans catch you
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by imperiouxx(m): 2:03pm On Jul 07, 2018
OboOlora:

Na ‘the weeknd’ u call upcoming? Even wizkid knows he can’t be compared to The Weeknd’s choreographer not to talk of The Weeknd himself
Please stop mixing refnol with ur Candy, Daddy

Maybe he was drunk when typing that garbage. Wizkid that's not even on the same level with the most hated Tekashi 6ix9ine, let alone The Weekend.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by paulynpen(m): 2:16pm On Jul 07, 2018
Administration1:
When we were in Secondary School, we called it copy copy.

Click like, if you did it

These white guys are more fraudulent than we think. If you observe, that copyright was done just two weeks ago. Probably they observe this guy's creation is going to sell and they know that Nigerians does not register their properties, they went ahead to do so just to arm twist him. It keep happening to us indie publishers and designers, you write a book or design clothes selling on amazon or merch after sometimes some bigger firm will come to claim your sweat. And it baffles me when I see nigerians commenting on issues they knew little or nothing about, when you comment about issue you are privy to, you have a greater chance of fooling yourself thinking that you are smart. White guys are also fraudulent, in this case I smell fraud.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by safarigirl(f): 2:28pm On Jul 07, 2018
Sanchez01:

Yes, it is a crime. You don't mess with a trademark, particularly when you've not been given the permission to do so. The trademark here is most likely global since the name 'Chop Life' is pidgin and Nigeria is one of the most prominent Pidgin language speakers in the world. These guys would have moved to make the patent global, meaning it can't be used anywhere else in the world.

Western countries patent names and ideas a whole lot compared to us. If this was our thing, you won't be seeing cases of striking resemblance in, say, domain names.
the Chop Life people are the real criminals here. They just happen to be smart about their criminality

Yomi Casual, Alexx Ekubo and IK Ogbonna have been calling themselves the CHOP LIFE GANG for at least two years now. That UK criminal just went to patent it in the UK after stealing the idea.

They should take their documents and shove it up their asses. Anybody that wants to use Chop Life Gang in Nigeria can damn well use it if they please and like someone said Chop Life Gang is different from Chop Life. They should save their legal jargons for the UK

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by safarigirl(f): 2:32pm On Jul 07, 2018
Naijal:

I think the complainant had to get the trademark done to protect the interest of his brand. It must have existed before Yomi's.

Perhaps on citing yomi using the same concept as his brand he quickly got the trademark done before he went for yomi casual, he wouldn't have made any sense telling yomi to stop using that name without tendering a valide trademark.

It's not a crime in Nigeria, the trademark is valid worldwide and cannot be used anywhere for commercial products.
he is a thief.

He did not come up with anything. He probably stole it after seeing it all I've the internet. This is a phrase Alexx Ekubo uses regularly

This is just a case of a sharp guy doing sharp guy things. Yomi did not steal jack from anybody
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Holorunloseyi(m): 3:11pm On Jul 07, 2018
Where d copy dey,na d choplife or d font am confuse abeg
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by BluntBoy(m): 3:30pm On Jul 07, 2018
BlaqCoffee109:
@ BluntBoy^^^^ the bolded... Chop life is a #9j thing and this was done on the 22nd of June...my point exactly. Whether it's in design or concept, the UK version may just be an harbinger of some sort. Again, Chop life UK my black ass.

I don't understand the highlighted.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 07, 2018
BluntBoy:

I don't understand the highlighted.
they knew about the campaign...what better way to fight it? Get Chop life copyrighted; see the date?
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Sanchez01: 4:16pm On Jul 07, 2018
safarigirl:
the Chop Life people are the real criminals here. They just happen to be smart about their criminality

Yomi Casual, Alexx Ekubo and IK Ogbonna have been calling themselves the CHOP LIFE GANG for at least two years now. That UK criminal just went to patent it in the UK after stealing the idea.

They should take their documents and shove it up their asses. Anybody that wants to use Chop Life Gang in Nigeria can damn well use it if they please and like someone said Chop Life Gang is different from Chop Life. They should save their legal jargons for the UK
I referred to those guys in the UK as saboteurs on several occasions. I think word got out that Yomi was planning on making a brand out of their campaign name and someone thought to play a fast one on them.

Yomi Casual would know better to emphasize 'Gang' since some individuals are out to look for trouble.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Sanchez01: 4:17pm On Jul 07, 2018
Naijal:

I doubt this.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Sanchez01: 4:20pm On Jul 07, 2018
aribisala0:
Not if it is not registered in Nigeria.

Trademarks are a way of government making money from tax. You cannot register a trademark in UK and expect to enforce it across the planet.

It is a very interesting area on which more than one PhD has been written. Generally countries will not enforce trademarks unless they are weak or you pay for it with an annual fee.
What is accepted in one country ma be rejected in another

One thing that happens when you register a trademark is that the public are registered to raise objections.

If I sought to trademark the name Aribisala in Iceland or the UK it may pass without any objection.

Can I then seek to extend that to the whole world?
This makes sense but the PhD analogy is quite off. You might get away if you are not known. Reverse would be the case if you are famous. It applies here as well.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by aribisala0(m): 4:49pm On Jul 07, 2018
Sanchez01:

This makes sense but the PhD analogy is quite off. You might get away if you are not known. Reverse would be the case if you are famous. It applies here as well.
We are not communicating.

There was no "analogy" . It was "information". The rest is unintelligible to me
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by BluntBoy(m): 6:00pm On Jul 07, 2018
BlaqCoffee109:
they knew about the campaign...what better way to fight it? Get Chop life copyrighted; see the date?

You are right. I wonder why anyone would copyright a popular Nigerian phrase like "Chop Life".
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jul 07, 2018
BluntBoy:

You are right. I wonder why anyone would copyright a popular Nigerian phrase like "Chop Life".
in Falzs' voice "this is Nigeria" smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by correctguy101(m): 8:36pm On Jul 07, 2018
Suulola:
That's why I don't like telling people my ideas. They will just steal them. angry angry angry

Instead, once you have any idea you plan doing something or maybe even nothing with, patent and copyright protect it, then pray for an idea thief with very deep pockets.

Its a fun biz on its own believe me.... wink

1 Like

Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Nobody: 1:14am On Jul 08, 2018
correctguy101:

Instead, once you have any idea you plan doing something or maybe even nothing with, patent and copyright protect it, then pray for an idea thief with very deep pockets.

Its a fun biz on its own believe me.... wink
How do I patent and copyright it? Tell me, pls.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by correctguy101(m): 11:56am On Jul 08, 2018
Suulola:
How do I patent and copyright it? Tell me, pls.

I won't pretend like I know how that's done.

But I feel there are lawyers who could get it done for a fee.
Gurus in the house please come to our aid on this.

PS: You could purposely set it up so idea thieves with deep pockets fall in the trap and you use them to get a few millions of dollars and dash them the idea. At least, your brain that thought up the first can think of another. I believe idea guys are full of ideas, never a scarcity of it. The next idea would ride on your fame as the guy who had his idea stolen. wink

1 Like

Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 08, 2018
correctguy101:

I won't pretend like I know how that's done.

But I feel there are lawyers who could get it done for a fee.
Gurus in the house please come to our aid on this.

PS: You could purposely set it up so idea thieves with deep pockets fall in the trap and you use them to get a few millions of dollars and dash them the idea. At least, your brain that thought up the first can think of another. I believe idea guys are full of ideas, never a scarcity of it. The next idea would ride on your fame as the guy who had his idea stolen. wink
Thank you very much for the reply. God bless you.
Re: Chop Life: Yomi Casual Warned By Damille Clothing Over Copyright by rafcrown(m): 5:25pm On Jul 08, 2018
USE YOUR BRAIN-THATS ORIGINALITY.
CANDYDADDY:
shocked

what wrong with these shitty uk, us and their meaningless accusations

Na so upcoming 'The weekend' accused Wizkid of using 'starboy' as his record's name

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

T-Rex, Terry G's Son Resumes School In UK (Photo) / Tonto Dikeh Slams Prince Ifeanyi Dike, Actors Guild Chairman / Cynthia Morgan Reacts To Jude Okoye's Interview, Clarifies Contract, Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.