Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,472 members, 7,781,375 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:24 PM

The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo (14022 Views)

The Impact Of Benny Hinn’s Rejection Of The Prosperity Gospel In Africa / What Are The Things You Will Like Your Church To Change? / Living Faith Church To Construct Four Lane Express From Lafenwa To Ayobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Joyfulguy: 7:14am On Jul 08, 2018
Let us take a little time to consider the impact of the church to the growth of the economy and its role in the reduction of unemployment in the Nigerian society. Most people may never have anything good to write about the modern Nigerian church because of the way it has presented itself overtime, but still we have to consider some of its advantageous input to the growth of the economy.

A young man who dedicated time to serving in the local church as a member of the technical unit without any idea of it, is now operating a Light and sound company by himself and has been able to employ several others to work for him. He installs lighting systems and also sets sound systems for big churches, event halls, open air programs, school occasions and other areas where these services are needed. He earns more than a bank manager and his staffs earn more than bank workers. Remember! He joined the church technical unit with zero idea about sound and lighting.

It is not out place to see big musical artiste who are doing well and in the society all having a similar testimony of starting from the church choir and then picking up a career in music and instrumentation, and now they are forces to reckon with because they have been able to establish themselves and be a blessing to others. Considering the amount of youths that are being paid by music in the society, we see that it has reduced unemployment within the range of 20%, and these people owe their gratitude to the local church where they started from. It wasn't just about them being in the local church choir, we have also seen how churches invest so much time and resources in training and grooming music ministers, making sure musicals equipment are available, organizing seminars and inviting music tutors to lecture choristers, even go as far as sending some to music schools for proper training. Most of these choristers have gone commercial, some are having bands, record labels, music studios and also run programs to raise income and job creation for others.

I have seen great public and motivational speakers who are where they are today because of the platform they got from the church. From reciting Bible verses to doing special presentations during church programs, they were able to conquer stage fright and have built on how to familiarize with crowd and seize the moment. Also look at great movie actors who started in the church Drama unit and dancers who were diligent and committed to presenting something during special church programs. With these, you will see reason to agree with me that the church if not more than any other agency have been able to FREELY bring up youths to an employable and independent state in the society.
Looking away from the training, grooming and creating development opportunity aspect of it; let me begin to conclude with "The church as an Employer ". I won't write much on this but will try to create a picture of it in our minds, and by this, we can help to contribute to this post through the comment box.

However, it is a noticeable thing that local churches have been able to employ the use of paid staffs, ranging from the music directors, instrumentalist, sound engineers to church accountants, secretaries, receptionist, office assistants, to cleaners, drivers, security officers, janitors, system operators and so many others... Just think about it! The church has also created massive employment by building schools and other industries. I can boldly say that the church owns more than 50% of the schools in Nigeria (primary, secondary and tertiary).
Now we haven't even talked about its unbeatable patronage to the Printing Press, media houses and ICT companies (bulk sms, websites, apps and more). From a plain and unbiased mind. We see the economy owes the church so much appreciation for its massive effort in improving the Nigerian economy and reducing employment at all levels.

Sourced from: http://www.talking-christianity.com/2018/07/the-impact-of-church-to-economy-daniel.html

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Nackzy: 7:15am On Jul 08, 2018
Church is business in Nigeria, it pays more than yahoo

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:18am On Jul 08, 2018
Jesus is Lord

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Nobody: 7:56am On Jul 08, 2018
Good work. This aspect are what media house don't carry because many of them are biased.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by hopefulLandlord: 7:57am On Jul 08, 2018
Listen to the guy below me

Government to Business organisation: Good day management, you had a revenue of xxxxxNaira and profit of xxxxNaira this closing year, kindly pay your tax as agreed

Thanks FG

Business Organization to government: Enclosed is a cheque made to the government for the amount requested as payment for our taxes. we look forward to a profitable next year and an even bigger tax

What tax do churches pay? NONE! ZERO!! NADA!!! ZILCH!!! SHINGBAI!!!
What impact is it giving the economy?

Mr Titus, an electrician, comes to my house to repair and maintain my electrical and electronic devices. When through I pay him money, he thanks me and goes about his other duties. Good impact

Mr Philemon, an electrician, goes to a church to repair and maintain their electrical and electronic devices. When through the pastor prays for him and tell him his reward is in heaven or god would reward him.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by CAPSLOCKED: 9:25am On Jul 08, 2018

THE IMPACT OF CHURCHES VS THE IMPACT OF FOOTBALL VIEWING CENTERS TO THE ECONOMY.

- CHURCH PROVIDES EMPLOYMENT. VERY GOOD. VIEWING CENTER EMPLOY PEOPLE AS WELL. (BOARD MAN, CLEANERS, ELECTRICIANS, SECURITY, ETC).

- CHURCH GIVES AND TAKES.
CHURCH GIVES YOU THE "ABSOLUTE TRUTH" OF YOUR FAVORITE DEITY, AND TAKES YOUR TIME, ENERGY, TITHES, OFFERING, DONATIONS, EMOTIONS, ETC.
VIEWING CENTER GIVES YOU THE MATCH YOU WANT TO WATCH AND TAKES ONLY 50 - 100 NAIRA FROM YOU, DEPENDING ON YOUR LOCATION.

- YOU MIGHT WANT TO ARGUE THAT CHURCH HELPS TO BUILD PEOPLE SPIRITUALLY, AND ENSURE TO LEAD THEM TO HEAVEN. THIS IS COMPLETE NONSENSE AS WITH JUST A SINGLE DOSE OF COMMON SENSE IT BECOMES EASY TO REALIZE THAT CHURCH IS NOTHING BUT A BUSINESS CENTER WHICH THRIVES ON THE FEAR, EMOTIONS, AND GULLIBILITY OF HUMANS. SELLS THEM FAKE TALES FROM THE ANCIENT AGE ABOUT HELL AND HEAVEN, AND TAKES AWAY THEIR MONEY AND FREEDOM.
VIEWING CENTER WINS IT ON THIS ONE BECAUSE YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY ON SOMETHING REALISTIC - A FOOTBALL OR WRESTLING MATCH AND YOU LEAVE WHENEVER YOU WANT.. NO THREATS OR ANY FORM OF GUILT TRAPPING.

- PRAYING IN A CHURCH AND PRAYING IN A VIEWING CENTER IS THE SAME THING.
THIS IS NOT BECAUSE YOUR PREFERRED DEITY IS OMNIPRESENT. EVIDENCE COLLECTED FROM EVERY PART OF THE EARTH SHOWS THAT MEGATONS OF PRAYERS ARE INCAPABLE OF DOING NOTHING. SO PRAYING TO JESUS IN A CHAPEL OR PRAYING TO KHRISNA IN A TEMPLE, OR PRAYING TO HULK HOGAN IN A VIEWING CENTER WILL CERTAINLY GUARANTEE THE SAME RESULT. NO TWO WAYS ABOUT IT.

THE IMPORTANCE OF CHURCH TO THE ECONOMY WOULD BE OUTWEIGHED TEN TIMES IF WE DARE COMPARE TO A BEER PARLOR OR A BROTHEL. SO THIS THREAD HAS NO PURPOSE.

38 Likes 9 Shares

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by ziggyzee: 10:55am On Jul 08, 2018
The Church may be a catalyst for developing talents in the absence of opportunities for vocational training. However, considering the possibility of positively impacting the economy, the church is, in fact, a leakage to the economy in terms of lost productive time, non-remuneration for services rendered and pressure on infrastructure.

The Church does not pay for services rendered by the young men and women who dedicate their time and effort to achieving the operational objectives that make worshipping possible. Countless hours are volunteered by the army of workers without economic benefit to the nation whereas, these skills and time can be better accounted for in terms of contributing to national income. This affects the "CONSUMPTION" in the national income calculation as the propensity to earn is decreased.

Also, the Church puts a lot of pressure on infrastructure such as roads, thereby causing road users delays in reaching their destinations that will generate economic activities. This affects the "INVESTMENT" in the national income calculation as depreciation of infrastructure is increased and productivity is lost due to commuting.

Finally, the Church deprives the economy of approximately six hours weekly from the productive lives of able-bodied men and women who spend their time asking for help from God in the form of miracles rather than positioning themselves by taking baby steps towards future economic independence. More productive time is allocated as the year comes to an end and the Church is engulfed in a series of activities.

In summary, moderation is required in everything we do.

Thank you.

27 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Nobody: 10:56am On Jul 08, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by ajizz2020(m): 10:57am On Jul 08, 2018
them try ...

3 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by LazyNairalander(m): 10:57am On Jul 08, 2018
The impact of the church on the nation's economy can not be overemphasized but many over looks it.

check my SIGNATURE

1 Like

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by rexbuton: 11:00am On Jul 08, 2018
To the lengthy poster above, your inadvertent use of double negation in your statement about prayer proved once again that Jesus is Lord over all

2 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by mickeyenglish(m): 11:02am On Jul 08, 2018
Maybe when churches and Mosques start paying taxes, then we may then conclude that it indeed has impact in the economy of Nigeria. As for now, a common civil servant or kiosk owner on the street still has more input and impact on our economy than the church because he/she pays his/her tax to the government. That's what we call civic responsibility.

Of course, i don't expect anybody to understand this since we're all creatures of different schools of thought hence, our diverse thinking when it comes to matters of Religion and the State.

Post No Bill

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Nobody: 11:02am On Jul 08, 2018
This is a wrong topic pushed to FP.

The impact of terrorism to the economy of Nigeria...is a better topic to research and write on, OP.

2 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by tlops(m): 11:03am On Jul 08, 2018
The OP is right. We seem to forget that these religious organizations are legal entities and function with different professional units. Apart from seeing them as a money collection outlets we should not forget that the churches have expenses as well.
I will share my experience and how God blessed through the church.
I joined the fellowship in school 2001 and sometimes attended church service off campus on Sundays. Before I gained admission to the uni I learnt desktop publishing (for those that grew up between 1998 and 2005, the course was popular). In my second year I joined the church's publication unit, this unit is responsible for printing flyers, bulletin, IV cards and so on. I was working under a full time staff (he was a corper) and I learnt a lot from him, from the design perspective (corel draw, adode) and the business perspective (negotiating with the press/printers). I was studying computer science at the time so working in the church gave me access to a PC which most of my classmate did not have. At the end of my second year the brother that was heading the unit got a job a the bank and I took over the unit on a part time basis. Luckily the Pastor there was a nice man, so I was paid 3k monthly at that time for working Friday evening through sunday evening. The money was ok at that time for a student and I had the time practice programming, while doing the church's work as well.
When I graduated, I continued working in the church in the same unit + administration and got paid 8k a month plus free accommodation. We (church staff) were sent on training twice within the one year I worked as a full time staff (once in Benin and the other time Lagos). these were not entirely religious training but on being effective with people, time and resources (The church paid for that).
At that time were were 3 full time staff (I was the youngest and had not served) and 3 corpers. it was a small church. Working there was not easy as you have to keep to high level of spirituality, excellence and professionalism. But it was worth it. I learnt alot there and now when I look at those brothers and sisters that I worked with now, though working outside the church now they are doing well and still members of the church.
While there I got my first work experience, which as included in my cv at that time. I got a chance to lead a voluntary organization (with people of different ages and background) at a young age, it was not easy but it gave me that avenue to be able to approach people and deal with situation. These experience helped me get my next job and the rest is history. upward and forward.The church is an organization have have her own paid work force. while some of my mates (art that time) were waiting for call up, I got the chance to help other people while discovering myself. I am one of the few people who could say that I had a part time job while studying at a university in Nigeria. I don't know if that has changed.
Though I understand the problems faced by the society and the modern day church, my response is to the the issue raised by the OP and my experience as a teenager to early 20s of the Church.

7 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 08, 2018
The real impact of the church on our economy is evident in the increase of lazy people in Nigeria. People have now accepted the lies sold to them by hope peddlers that - this world is not their home. Therefore it's OK to be lazy, poor, docile and become dream killers.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by massive1019(m): 11:05am On Jul 08, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

THE IMPACT OF CHURCHES VS THE IMPACT OF FOOTBALL VIEWING CENTERS TO THE ECONOMY.

- CHURCH PROVIDES EMPLOYMENT. VERY GOOD. VIEWING CENTER EMPLOY PEOPLE AS WELL. (BOARD MAN, CLEANERS, ELECTRICIANS, SECURITY, ETC).

CHURCH GIVES YOU THE "ABSOLUTE TRUTH" OF YOUR FAVORITE DEITY, AND TAKES YOUR TIME, ENERGY, TITHES, OFFERING, DONATIONS, EMOTIONS, ETC.
VIEWING CENTER GIVES YOU THE MATCH YOU WANT TO WATCH AND TAKES ONLY 50 - 100 NAIRA FROM YOU, DEPENDING ON YOUR LOCATION.

- YOU MIGHT WANT TO ARGUE THAT CHURCH HELPS TO BUILD PEOPLE SPIRITUALLY, AND ENSURE TO LEAD THEM TO HEAVEN. THIS IS COMPLETE NONSENSE AS WITH JUST A SINGLE DOSE OF COMMON SENSE IT BECOMES EASY TO REALIZE THAT CHURCH IS NOTHING BUT A BUSINESS CENTER WHICH THRIVES ON THE FEAR, EMOTIONS, AND GULLIBILITY OF HUMANS. SELLS THEM FAKE TALES FROM THE ANCIENT AGE ABOUT HELL AND HEAVEN, AND TAKES AWAY THEIR MONEY AND FREEDOM.
VIEWING CENTER WINS IT ON THIS ONE BECAUSE YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY ON SOMETHING REALISTIC - A FOOTBALL OR WRESTLING MATCH AND YOU LEAVE WHENEVER YOU WANT.. NO THREATS OR ANY FORM OF GUILT TRAPPING.

THIS IS NOT BECAUSE YOUR PREFERRED DEITY IS OMNIPRESENT. EVIDENCE COLLECTED FROM EVERY PART OF THE EARTH SHOWS THAT MEGATONS OF PRAYERS ARE INCAPABLE OF DOING NOTHING. SO PRAYING TO JESUS IN A CHAPEL OR PRAYING TO KHRISNA IN A TEMPLE, OR PRAYING TO HULK HOGAN IN A VIEWING CENTER WILL CERTAINLY GUARANTEE THE SAME RESULT. NO TWO WAYS ABOUT IT.

THE IMPORTANCE OF CHURCH TO THE ECONOMY WOULD BE OUTWEIGHED TEN TIMES IF WE DARE COMPARE TO A BEER PARLOR OR A BROTHEL. SO THIS THREAD HAS NO PURPOSE.
you are what you read, write and listen to. keep it up brother. your eyes will be opened one day...it may be in life or in death.

3 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by goldmatrix(m): 11:07am On Jul 08, 2018
Same as mosques are able to produce and employ new bombers daily. That's the advantages of mosques.

2 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by AcMilano1(m): 11:09am On Jul 08, 2018
Nairalander today is my birthday show me love cos this forum is my second home I am proud to be here

5 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by adeoba2008(m): 11:09am On Jul 08, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

Your brain need factory reset.

3 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by Quality20(m): 11:09am On Jul 08, 2018
its really negative o. u want to buy anything but d IBO guys r in church
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by 1stola: 11:10am On Jul 08, 2018
Religion is our biggest problem in this country.

90 percent of Nigerians are religious wicked evil people.

Just yesterday again, I saw another two preachers (Christians) fighting over who should preach on a bus.
It was a serious and irritating drama.
Useless people

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by bropeee(m): 11:11am On Jul 08, 2018
What a good write up. I think this is the best write up I have read about 'church' for a long time

3 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by MDVCONSULTANTS: 11:12am On Jul 08, 2018
Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by maximunimpact(m): 11:14am On Jul 08, 2018
Church business have no impact on the economy because they don't pay tax, even some of their workers are not paid salaries but are told to get their reward in heaven.

5 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by lakesider(m): 11:15am On Jul 08, 2018
very good defence .. but how come we have churches on every street and the economy is still bad ?

2 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by happy200(m): 11:17am On Jul 08, 2018
Listen we know all these. what we are complaining is how they 've brain washed the masses to unredeemeable stage, they are milking them to perminent povert stage.

2 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by AntiGod: 11:19am On Jul 08, 2018
[s]
Joyfulguy:
Let us take a little time to consider the impact of the church to the growth of the economy and its role in the reduction of unemployment in the Nigerian society. Most people may never have anything good to write about the modern Nigerian church because of the way it has presented itself overtime, but still we have to consider some of its advantageous input to the growth of the economy.

A young man who dedicated time to serving in the local church as a member of the technical unit without any idea of it, is now operating a Light and sound company by himself and has been able to employ several others to work for him. He installs lighting systems and also sets sound systems for big churches, event halls, open air programs, school occasions and other areas where these services are needed. He earns more than a bank manager and his staffs earn more than bank workers. Remember! He joined the church technical unit with zero idea about sound and lighting.

It is not out place to see big musical artiste who are doing well and in the society all having a similar testimony of starting from the church choir and then picking up a career in music and instrumentation, and now they are forces to reckon with because they have been able to establish themselves and be a blessing to others. Considering the amount of youths that are being paid by music in the society, we see that it has reduced unemployment within the range of 20%, and these people owe their gratitude to the local church where they started from. It wasn't just about them being in the local church choir, we have also seen how churches invest so much time and resources in training and grooming music ministers, making sure musicals equipment are available, organizing seminars and inviting music tutors to lecture choristers, even go as far as sending some to music schools for proper training. Most of these choristers have gone commercial, some are having bands, record labels, music studios and also run programs to raise income and job creation for others.

I have seen great public and motivational speakers who are where they are today because of the platform they got from the church. From reciting Bible verses to doing special presentations during church programs, they were able to conquer stage fright and have built on how to familiarize with crowd and seize the moment. Also look at great movie actors who started in the church Drama unit and dancers who were diligent and committed to presenting something during special church programs. With these, you will see reason to agree with me that the church if not more than any other agency have been able to FREELY bring up youths to an employable and independent state in the society.
Looking away from the training, grooming and creating development opportunity aspect of it; let me begin to conclude with "The church as an Employer ". I won't write much on this but will try to create a picture of it in our minds, and by this, we can help to contribute to this post through the comment box.

However, it is a noticeable thing that local churches have been able to employ the use of paid staffs, ranging from the music directors, instrumentalist, sound engineers to church accountants, secretaries, receptionist, office assistants, to cleaners, drivers, security officers, janitors, system operators and so many others... Just think about it! The church has also created massive employment by building schools and other industries. I can boldly say that the church owns more than 50% of the schools in Nigeria (primary, secondary and tertiary).
Now we haven't even talked about its unbeatable patronage to the Printing Press, media houses and ICT companies (bulk sms, websites, apps and more). From a plain and unbiased mind. We see the economy owes the church so much appreciation for its massive effort in improving the Nigerian economy and reducing employment at all levels.

Sourced from: http://www.talking-christianity.com/2018/07/the-impact-of-church-to-economy-daniel.html

[/s]

4 Likes

Re: The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo by CAPSLOCKED: 11:20am On Jul 08, 2018
rexbuton:
To the lengthy poster above, your inadvertent use of double negation in your statement about prayer proved once again that Jesus is Lord over all

OVER ALL ZOMBIES, AND MEN THAT DO NOT THINK FOR THEMSELVES.

I AGREE.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Stand Up as a first timer in a new Church? / Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? / Drop Your Quote Here And Bless Someone:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.