Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,992 members, 7,806,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

Should An Employment Be Based On Credentials Or Based On Experience? My Story... - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should An Employment Be Based On Credentials Or Based On Experience? My Story... (644 Views)

My Job Experience: My Testimony / How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? / Advice For Job Seekers Based On Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should An Employment Be Based On Credentials Or Based On Experience? My Story... by onetechstore: 12:18pm On Jul 08, 2018
Here is my story.......

I am a fresh graduate awaiting NYSC for exactly a year now (you know government universities and their bureaucracy), because its not in my nature to just be idle when i could put my job ethics experiences in use and make earnings, i started applying for jobs and as God would have it immediately after i graduated i got employed. months into this particular employment i realize the company isn't helping my career growth and decided to scout for a place that would build my career, help me face and handle more challenges and make feel like i really have a job.

fortunately for me i got the interview invite and was asked to come with my credentials,well i went with just my cv hoping that if i was asked for my credentials i would make them understand that i am awaiting NYSC and wouldn't mind using their company as my PPA during NYSC, but amongst all questions asked and answers during the interview i confidently shared the experience i have as regards the role i applied for which got them impressed, the interviewers never ask for my credentials at the end of the interview i was told i will be called if i am successful, long story short i got the call that i have been considered for the position and was asked when i would love to resume so i told them to give me a week to tender a resignation letter at my present place which i did and happily resumed my new job after one week.

so during my documentation at my new job the only credential i had outstanding was an NYSC certificate when asked, i told the HR that i am awaiting NYSC and that i intend to use their company as PPA when i eventually go for service. the HR said that will be a game changer that i won't be paid the initially agreed salary in my offer letter which i didn't mind as i was not ready to go back to job hunting, she also added that it not her decision to make alone that when the Junior HR comes the next day, they would make a joint conclusion.

the next day i went to work anxious to know what they have concluded only for me to be told their company is a well structured one unlike many out their, and that they would rather employ based on credentials than competence and experience without credentials, thats how i packed my bag and pathetic self home and cried all day, now i am back to square zero job hunting with my eyes glued to Nairaland job vacancy section from morning till night, but is it fair ? essential credentials wasnt stated on the job opening when i saw it, they didn't request for it during the interview, i thought they were particular about experience and competence but No they called the next available option who had the credentials but no experience or competence... so i ask again, SHOULD AN EMPLOYMENT BE BASED ON CREDENTIALS OR BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCE ?
Re: Should An Employment Be Based On Credentials Or Based On Experience? My Story... by dingbang(m): 12:34pm On Jul 08, 2018
Let me sight an example. Practising law without a law degree is a criminal offence... Example, the Suits movie
Re: Should An Employment Be Based On Credentials Or Based On Experience? My Story... by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 08, 2018
As long as white collar jobs are concerned, Experience and Credentials go together. You can be employed without experience(Graduate Trainee) but you cannot be employed without your credentials.

What did you put in your CV in the Nysc column?

If you put 'awaiting NYSC' which off course, they must have seen, then I think drastic measures should be taken to sue such company, for making you lose your first job.

You should disclose their identity! You might get help online, if it goes viral

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should An Employment Be Based On Credentials Or Based On Experience? My Story... by Naturallyme: 12:41pm On Jul 08, 2018
Both. I can't hire a B. Eng with 15 years experience and nothing added to B. Eng after 15 years.
Re: Should An Employment Be Based On Credentials Or Based On Experience? My Story... by iphanyiuma(m): 1:04pm On Jul 08, 2018
When I graduated I applied as the H.R of a company here in Lagos.. My application was turned down as I was told they're not hiring... I called my sister who used to be a Q.C in the company and she spoke with the regional manager... Today am the H.R of that company...

Lesson: what you need is connection

(1) (Reply)

Apply Now: UNICEF Nigeria Massive Recruitment 2018 Ongoing / Experienced Teachers Needed At A Reputable School at Ado-soba,Amuwo-odofin,Lagos / Installers And Sales Representatives Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.