Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,541 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:14 PM

How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? (2896 Views)

Before I Go I Will Make Sure I Correct Some Doctrines Of Deeper Life- Pastor Kum / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? / As An Atheist Would You Circumcise Your Male Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by JeromeBlack: 4:44pm On Jul 08, 2018
Normally, I do not put my nose in other people's beliefs (or lack of beliefs). However, there is this atheist at my place of work that really needs to change his attitude towards others. Let us call this atheist "Vic".

I wouldn't care if not that many coworkers assign Vic's behaviour to his atheism. This makes it bad for other atheists like me who are still in the closet at work.

This Vic of a guy is tall, handsome and is in a higher position at work but he is also very much disliked. He is arrogant and he is a womaniser. He talks to people anyhow. Even when he debates atheism, he comes off as arrogant. I am happy that he challenges people to think about their beliefs but insulting them will only make them hate you.

The problem is, how do I tell him to calm down? I am not exactly his boss but I have a slightly higher position than him. I really do not talk about religion in public and this makes me nervous.

atheist brothers in the house- johnydon22, hahn, hopefullandlord, dalaman, capslocked, npcomplete

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by hopefulLandlord: 5:05pm On Jul 08, 2018
I wouldn't care if not that many coworkers assign Vic's behaviour to his atheism. This makes it bad for other atheists like me who are still in the closet at work.

if this is exactly why you're concerned then you really need to just ignore and keep on with your own work

I assume you're in Nigeria and the workplace is situated there. religious people see atheists as strange, they don't know what atheism is so they tend to connect bad things to atheism. If an atheist faces certain problems they'd connect the problem to his atheism even though there are lots of religious facing same or worse problems around them. if he's poor its because he doesn't believe in any god, if he's sick its because he doesn't believe in any god, if he's having marital issues its because the marriage wasn't build on god foundation, if he's fired from work its because he doesn't have a god to fight for him etc. they ignore the fact that whatever issues such atheists have aren't unique to atheism but it feels more convenient to blame atheism and really disturbing to see those are normal human challenges religious people also face

This extends to why they think atheism is responsible for the way the open atheist in your workplace behaves even though there might actually be a religious person in your work who's worse than him or at least you can think up someone in another company who's also as arrogant, is a womaniser, talks to people anyhow but is actually religious smiley

With the understanding of why they think this way, if you feel you can't ignore their conclusion I advice you don't need to confront him but work on the thinking of those concluding atheism is responsible. explain to them that it has nothing to do with his atheism and that's just his own behaviour. explain that there's no creed or doctrine that says an atheist should fork any female in skirts or be rude and disrespectful to others just like there's no creed that states the Christian womanizers and rude Christians are to act the way they do. Tell them about atheists you know that don't behave this way but be careful not to expose your atheism in the process or make them suspect you if you're not ready to come out as one.

I believe with time the sensible ones amongst them would see sense in what you're saying and sense can be contagious

My 800 kobo

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 5:45pm On Jul 08, 2018
Insultive and arrogance..... grin

Abeg leave him
He is only exhibting his true nature.
The atheist real nature.

Just allow him to climb higher,
You will even see worse.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by CAPSLOCKED: 6:17pm On Jul 08, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

if this is exactly why you're concerned then you really need to just ignore and keep on with your own work

I assume you're in Nigeria and the workplace is situated there. religious people see atheists as strange, they don't know what atheism is so they tend to connect bad things to atheism. If an atheist faces certain problems they'd connect the problem to his atheism even though there are lots of religious facing same or worse problems around them. if he's poor its because he doesn't believe in any god, if he's sick its because he doesn't believe in any god, if he's having marital issues its because the marriage wasn't build on god foundation, if he's fired from work its because he doesn't have a god to fight for him etc. they ignore the fact that whatever issues such atheists have aren't unique to atheism but it feels more convenient to blame atheism and really disturbing to see those are normal human challenges religious people also face

This extends to why they think atheism is responsible for the way the open atheist in your workplace behaves even though there might actually be a religious person in your work who's worse than him or at least you can think up someone in another company who's also as arrogant, is a womaniser, talks to people anyhow but is actually religious smiley

With the understanding of why they think this way, if you feel you can't ignore their conclusion I advice you don't need to confront him but work on the thinking of those concluding atheism is responsible. explain to them that it has nothing to do with his atheism and that's just his own behaviour. explain that there's no creed or doctrine that says an atheist should fork any female in skirts or be rude and disrespectful to others just like there's no creed that states the Christian womanizers and rude Christians are to act the way they do. Tell them about atheists you know that don't behave this way but be careful not to expose your atheism in the process or make them suspect you if you're not ready to come out as one.

I believe with time the sensible ones amongst them would see sense in what you're saying and sense can be contagious

My 800 kobo

THREAD STARTER,
ALL YOU NEED IS IN THIS POST.
THANKS.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by JeromeBlack: 6:27pm On Jul 08, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

My 800 kobo

Thank you for this wonderful comment.

I was also thinking of ignoring the whole matter. I just wanted to see other people's opinion on the matter. It is so sad that the only atheist we have at work is misbehaving.
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by JeromeBlack: 6:29pm On Jul 08, 2018
felixomor:

Abeg leave him
The atheist real nature.

You will even see worse.

Do you have something against atheists?

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by johnydon22(m): 6:31pm On Jul 08, 2018
felixomor:

Abeg leave him
The atheist real nature.

You will even see worse.
LOL

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by johnydon22(m): 6:34pm On Jul 08, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

My 800 kobo

this is it OP
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by Martinez19(m): 6:40pm On Jul 08, 2018
felixomor:

Abeg leave him
The atheist real nature.

You will even see worse.
lol. You don't come again. I see that you have liked your post.

6 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by DeSepiero(m): 6:44pm On Jul 08, 2018
Tell him what you think he does wrongly.
Tell him why you think he does wrongly.
Tell him the effects when he does it.
After that, go on to:
Tell him how you think he should do it rightly.
Tell him how helpful it would be if he does it rightly.
Finally, ask him what he thinks.

NB. Do this privately and politely.
JeromeBlack:

Normally, I do not put my nose in other people's beliefs (or lack of beliefs). However, there is this atheist at my place of work that really needs to change his attitude towards others. Let us call this atheist "Vic".

This Vic of a guy is tall, handsome and is in a higher position at work but he is also very much disliked. He is arrogant and he is a womaniser. He talks to people anyhow. Even when he debates atheism, he comes off as arrogant. I am happy that he challenges people to think about their beliefs but insulting them will only make them hate you.

The problem is, how do I tell him to calm down? I am not exactly his boss but I have a slightly higher position than him. I really do not talk about religion in public and this makes me nervous.

atheist brothers in the house- johnydon22, hahn, hopefullandlord, dalaman, capslocked, npcomplete

Thank me later smiley

1 Like

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by edicied: 6:49pm On Jul 08, 2018
DeSepiero:
After that, go on to:

Thank me later smiley
most people don't like being told what to do whether religious or not. All the op can do is to advice him.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by JeromeBlack: 6:52pm On Jul 08, 2018
DeSepiero:
After that, go on to:

Thank me later smiley

Thanks for the advise but there are other atheists on this thread saying that I should ignore and move on. Why do you think otherwise?
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by dalaman: 6:56pm On Jul 08, 2018
DeSepiero:
After that, go on to:

Thank me later smiley

Seconded.
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by dalaman: 7:03pm On Jul 08, 2018
felixomor:

Abeg leave him
The atheist real nature.

You will even see worse.

All the people that have made Nigeria the hell hole that it is today including you are not atheist.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 10:26pm On Jul 08, 2018
dalaman:

All the people that have made Nigeria the hell hole that it is today including you are not atheist.
Do you know the people?
The same way your relatives think you are not an atheist....because u pretend to be "christian"
Meanwhile u are an atheist

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by superhumanist(m): 12:26am On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

Do you know the people?
The same way your relatives think you are not an atheist....because u pretend to be "christian"

Felixomoron.

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by dalaman: 1:10am On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

Do you know the people?

So all the past and present Nigerian leaders are all claiming to be atheist abi? You too are are closet atheist abi? Because all he past and present leaders of Nigeria and citizens like you are responsible for making Nigeria the hell hole that it is.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by luvmijeje(f): 2:36am On Jul 09, 2018
As someone has said, advise him.Let him know the impact of his behavior and tell him to be free to point out your own fault too.

Honestly, some of us that are good advisers are not free of fault either.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 3:25am On Jul 09, 2018
dalaman:

So all the past and present Nigerian leaders are all claiming to be atheist abi? You too are are closet atheist abi? Because all he past and present leaders of Nigeria and citizens like you are responsible for making Nigeria the hell hole that it is.

Hehehe
Buharis brother.
Always blaming others.

You are part of the problem

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 3:25am On Jul 09, 2018
superhumanist:

Felixomoron.

Dumbo jumbo

1 Like

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by RuthlessLeader(m): 5:07am On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

Dumbo jumbo
Your clown in chief butterflyliar has told you to stop engaging atheist.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by DeSepiero(m): 7:03am On Jul 09, 2018
JeromeBlack:

Thanks for the advise but there are other atheists on this thread saying that I should ignore and move on. Why do you think otherwise?

You shouldn't ignore a small fire in one room because you're in another room of the same house.
You saw the need for a little change of attitude because for some reason it affects you too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 7:53am On Jul 09, 2018
RuthlessLeader:

[s]Your clown in chief butterflyliar has told you to stop engaging atheist[/s].
Rubbish

1 Like

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by dalaman: 7:57am On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

Hehehe
Buharis brother.
Always blaming others.

You are part of the problem

Am.glad you mentioned Buhari, just recently Nigeria was declared as the poverty capital of the world because it is now the country with the highest number of its people living in abject poverty(87 million people out of about 180 million people ) more than India with a population of 1.1 billion people because of the useless policies of Buhari, are you saying that Buhari is an atheist? Or are citizens like you that have also destroyed Nigeria atheist?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by RuthlessLeader(m): 7:58am On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

Rubbish
Your life you mean

1 Like

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 10:28am On Jul 09, 2018
dalaman:

Am.glad you mentioned Buhari, just recently Nigeria was declared as the poverty capital of the world because it is now the country with the highest number of its people living in abject poverty(87 million people out of about 180 million people ) more than India with a population of 1.1 billion people because of the useless policies of Buhari, are you saying that Buhari is an atheist? Or are citizens like you that have also destroyed Nigeria atheist?

Maybe.
But The fact remains No category of people have contributed mpositvely to the world and to Nigeria more than christians.
Not even your kind nor atheists. You guys have almost zero value sad

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 10:29am On Jul 09, 2018
RuthlessLeader:

Your life you mean
No.
Your brain

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by RuthlessLeader(m): 10:33am On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

No.
Your brain
What? You want to know where you can buy one? Sorry that`s impossible. Instead, you can exercise your brain by reading up on scientific facts and applying logic and reasoning, and best of all: Accepting your buy-bull is bullshit
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by dalaman: 10:33am On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

Maybe.
But The fact remains No category of people have contributed mpositvely to the world and to Nigeria more than christians.
Not even your kind nor atheists. You guys have almost zero value sad

What are the positive contributions of Christians to Nigeria knowing that Nigeria is a failed state and its major cities are among the worst places to live on earth?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 10:35am On Jul 09, 2018
dalaman:

What are the positive contributions of Christians to Nigeria knowing that Nigeria is a failed state and its major cities are among the worst places to live on earth?

You still have nothing on us.
Western education, healthcare etc were pioneered and is still being pioneered by Christians
What have atheists done?
Almost Zero.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 10:37am On Jul 09, 2018
RuthlessLeader:

[s]What? You want to know where you can buy one? Sorry that`s impossible. Instead, you can exercise your brain by reading up on scientific facts and applying logic and reasoning, and best of all: Accepting your buy-bull is bullshit[/s]
Here we go again.
They start mentioning "science" to look intelligent...
As usual. Same route again
Dumbos sad

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by RuthlessLeader(m): 10:42am On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

Here we go again.
They start mentioning "science" to look intelligent...
As usual. Same route again
Dumbos sad
Look at this Anti-Intellectual. The worst thing about this is that i know your bible more than you and you are using it as a guide to life. Science is the study of nature, gathering of facts and testing your theories. It is not an attempt to look intelligent, it is a way to become intelligent.

If you like, you can say I am dumb, it is not my business. Just please use your brain and stop relying on a bible on which you don't know quarter of the verses

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos: Satan worshippers builds Baphomet Statue In USA, christians protest / Using Theory Of Probability To Proof The Authenticity Of Quran. / Does Drinking Urine Solve Spiritual Problems?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.