Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,542 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister (26143 Views)

FG Should Focus On Flag Carriers, Not National Airline, Says Allen Onyema / National Grid Hasn't Collapsed This Year – Minister, Goddy Jedy-Agba / Hadi Sirika: Nigeria Air Will Commence Operation With Three Rented Planes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by Blue3k2: 6:16pm On Jul 08, 2018
The proposed national airline for Nigeria would be unveiled before the end of the year, the Minister of State for Aviation, Hadi Sirika, has confirmed.

Mr Sirika, a former pilot, gave the assurance while receiving the Outline Business Case Certificate of Compliance for the establishment of the airline from Chidi Izuwah, the Director General, Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission (ICRC).

The minister said that the presentation of the certificate was a testament on how far the project had gone.

The proposed airline will gulp $8.8 million preliminary cost and $300 million as take-off cost.

The Nigerian government is not fully funding the airline as it has adopted midwifing it via the option of a Public Private partnership, to deliver a national carrier that would stand the test of time and be world class in operation and management, he said.

According to Mr Sirika, Nigeria will receive the first set of five airplanes for the airliner on December 19.

The airline will make profit in three years after operations, he said.

“We will make the investments and follow the business plan through private sector management.

“We intend to get a 30 aircraft market in five years. But we will begin with five aircraft on the day of lunch. It was not clear whether an order has been made for the aircraft, but the minister in May met a team from Boeing in Abuja.

“At Farnborough International Public Airshow coming July 18, 2018 in London, we will unveil the name, logo, colour scheme, the structure and the type of airplane about the national carrier.

“We will also place the order for the aircraft at the event,” he said.

Mr Sirika explained that the government would step in to cover the funding gap at the onset and ease out thereafter.

He said the government would not get involved in the management of the national carrier.

He said Nigeria’s population of over 180 million people is huge enough to support aviation, adding that the airline would take advantage of Bilateral Air Service Agreement (BASA) that the country has with over 70 countries.

According to him, it will also take advantage of the Africa Single Air Transport Market and will be the best player if the government gets it right.

“But if we don’t, it will become a threat to us. But I believe we are on the right track.

The minister also gave an assurance that the national carrier would not kill the domestic airlines operating in the country.

The Director General of ICRC, Mr Izuwah, said the presentation of the Certificate of Compliance was an official green light to proceed with the procurement process.

He explained that the government would bring its contribution to kickstart the airline, adding that the amount of equity the partners would hold would determine government contribution.

According to him, start up cost over the next three years is about $300 million, but pre-start-up is $8.8 million.

“The rest of the investment will be equity injection which will happen in tranches because you do not need all the monies at once.

External capital injection also depends on the profitability of the airline.

“Though, you need that initial government financial to make it take off, but what is important is that the national carrier will be entirely private sector controlled.

“There will be zero government interference. But if that happens, it invalidates the certificate and the entire process.

“This is a bankable business, and the government will get a strategic partner who will invest in the national carrier and when we get through the bidding process, more facts will emerge.

“The government will have to spend the pre-start up cost like the brand name, the office and other start up.

“ It will be a world class airline with domestic, regional and international operations,” he said. (NAN)

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/business-news/275424-nigerias-new-national-airline-to-commence-operation-this-year-minister.html

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by madridguy(m): 6:18pm On Jul 08, 2018
Welcome development.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by MadeInTokyo: 6:19pm On Jul 08, 2018
grin grin grin

Dem don't start propaganda again

I trust BMC and zombies like the one above me to believe it

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by oooduancalmdown: 6:40pm On Jul 08, 2018
Nigerian leaders are deceiving themselves. What I know is that when Nigeria split, Oodua republic will have their own airline.
Biafra, Oodua, Islamic republic of Arewaland, and middle belt will think deep and develop when the country is no more. Fulani herdsmen or boko haram will only be found in Islamic republic of Arewa.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by limeta(f): 6:43pm On Jul 08, 2018
Broom airlines

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by Firefire(m): 6:44pm On Jul 08, 2018
Fraudulent liars!

32 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by Decibel: 6:45pm On Jul 08, 2018
Another flying coffin by buhari administration

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by buharitill2023: 6:45pm On Jul 08, 2018
Buhari is giving Nigerians real change.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by SalamRushdie: 6:45pm On Jul 08, 2018
Buhari has no business venturing into National Airline business again after he was handed over a Nigeria Airways at its peak with 33 operational aircraft but will through his poor leadership reduce the same airline to just four barely working planes 18 months later , a downward spiral Nigeria Airways never again recovered from.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jul 08, 2018
don't understand this redirecting...
Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by eyeview: 7:08pm On Jul 08, 2018
I can bet with anyone that come the end of this year, we will not see any national carrier anywhere.
Why? Because this administration has never fulfilled any promise.
Like everyother thing they promised, they will also fail.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by Frankbaro(m): 7:08pm On Jul 08, 2018
It will still fail, that's if it takes off at all.

The collosal failure Buhari, has never been successful at anything.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by BuhariNaWah: 7:08pm On Jul 08, 2018
Story for the gods

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by Seanpizzy10: 7:09pm On Jul 08, 2018
Davido Promise To Beat Wizkid At O2Arena And Set The Stage On Fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv8VzgYtgaw

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by LastSurvivor11: 7:09pm On Jul 08, 2018
When I hear things Nigeria will be great again from zombies I begin to wonder if there was a time we were competing with America, Russia, China or Germany that history forgot to mention..

The truth is that we were never great grin grin

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:10pm On Jul 08, 2018
The foundation destroyed must be rapaired again.
Glad we will be having a national carrier once again.

But as usual, wailers will wail about any good news they read about the Pressident all their lives.
Losers.

See them not happy , but already complaining.
Smh.
Losers.

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 08, 2018
Like play like plsy buhari no reshuffle cabinet

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by alizma: 7:11pm On Jul 08, 2018
one major problem with Nigerians is the fact that they have been so much used and dump several times that they don't even believe something good can happen to them and their fatherland any more. just read through their comments.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by LexngtonSteele: 7:11pm On Jul 08, 2018
I would be shocked if this actually happens and it's not a lie

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by obi58: 7:11pm On Jul 08, 2018
That reminds me does anyone have news on Rochas' proposed imo state airline?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by selemempe: 7:11pm On Jul 08, 2018
Make e no be like Virgin Nigeria wey obj, richard bransson and adenuga take steal small money far back grin angry grin

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by penzino(m): 7:11pm On Jul 08, 2018
I sincerely hope it comes to pass....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by Nairalandmentor(m): 7:12pm On Jul 08, 2018
Good for Naija, hope it last.
Do you want to create a website asap? No advance payment required. Check my signature to see my portfolio. Serious people only*
Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by theoldpretender(m): 7:12pm On Jul 08, 2018
SalamRushdie:
Buhari has no business venturing into National Airline business again after he was handed over a Nigeria Airways at its peak with 33 operational aircraft but will through his poor leadership reduce the same airline to just four barely working planes 18 months later , a downward spiral Nigeria Airways never again recovered from.

That is not true.

Nigeria Airways was still a working airline by 1988 when I flew as a passenger on an international flight no less.

Plus Nigeria Airways failed because the people running it did not run it properly, not because government.

For instance during the second Republic, politicians and their hangers on got away without paying things like excess duty

And if you want to blame government, blame IBB not Bubu.

And no, it does not mean Bubu is a good leader

Modified :In 1990,Nigeria Airways had at least 18 aircraft. Not four.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by obojememe: 7:12pm On Jul 08, 2018
instead of sharing Abacha’s loot , why not channel it into the success of this venture...
my thoughts thou

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by cenaman(m): 7:15pm On Jul 08, 2018
mr. minister where is Nigeria airways?
Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by phoenix90(m): 7:16pm On Jul 08, 2018
obojememe:
instead of sharing Abacha’s loot , why not channel it into the success of this venture...
my thoughts thou
Well thought out.

And they should use one of the aircraft in the presidential fleet to add to the start up assets. At least that's what Buhari told Nigerians

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by eendy(f): 7:17pm On Jul 08, 2018
They have started again...
what crime did we commit as a people, to deserve to be constantly molested with lies and worthless propaganda...

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:19pm On Jul 08, 2018
I need testimonies of people who boarded the plane, flew in it and came down alive before I believe this shitt.....

Till then........

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

POLITICS2019: Donald Duke Floors Jerry Gana, Others To Win SDP Residential Ticke / Malam Wada Maida Is Dead / South-South Governors Set To Float Regional Security outfit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.