Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,509 members, 7,808,863 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal (54351 Views)

Ali Baba Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Resignation Saga Over NYSC Certificate Scandal / Presidency Awaits Briefing On Kemi Adeosun’s NYSC Certificate Forgery / Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by 2mercy: 4:24pm On Jul 09, 2018
The National Youths Service Corps (NYSC) has reacted to the exclusive story published by PREMIUM TIMES detailing how finance minister, Kemi Adeosun, skipped the mandatory national service and used a forged certificate to cover for it.

The story has generated outrage from Nigerians who called for an official investigation and asked the minister to resign from her post or be fired by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Details published by this newspaper on Monday show that the certificate is among the set of documents submitted by the minister for her appointment and screening in 2015.

Speaking for the first time since the news broke, NYSC’s Director of Public Relations, Adenike Adeyemi, said the service is working towards responding to PREMIUM TIMES’s request for verification of Mrs Adeosun’s certificate.

This newspaper first wrote to the NYSC on April 16, 2018 requesting for the verification. After weeks of silence and promises, the paper’s editors decided to re-channel the request into a Freedom of Information request.

This followed disappointment suffered by journalists working on the story when the formal letter that was to be issued on June 1 by the corps was suddenly withheld.

Our reporter who was at the NYSC headquarters on Thursday, May 31, was told to come back the next day to pick up the organisation’s response to our letter, following scrutiny that afternoon that confirmed that “Folakemi Adeosun” was not in the register.

However, on arriving on Friday, June 1 to pick the response, a new decision was announced: the NYSC officials said the verification has been channelled to the organisation’s ICT unit to check its “electronic database.”

PREMIUM TIMES had made a payment of N2,000 through federal government’s Remita platform. The Remita receipt was later swapped with an official receipt of the NYSC at the organisation’s Account Department. The receipt is numbered 711133.

Frustrated by the sudden back-tracking, on June 8, this newspaper delivered a Freedom of Information request to the NYSC headquarters which is yet to be responded to.

The FoI Act mandates agencies to respond to requests within one week or write to seek for extension if unable to comply with the stipulated time.

But speaking to a PREMIUM TIMES reporter on Monday, Mrs Adeyemi attributed the delay to the need by the organisation to “get a little more time to get the records straight.”

Below is the text of the director’s interview with our reporter.

PREMIUM TIMES: What is the NYSC’s response to our request for verification of the certificate being paraded by the finance minister, Kemi Adeosun?

MRS ADEYEMI: You have sent in a request wanting to know, subjecting that certificate to verification. I agree with you, the request has been received at the NYSC headquarters, and you would want the NYSC to verify that certificate which you said was submitted by the honourable minister.

The NYSC as a public institution and organisation where some information is domiciled for public interest will definitely not hoard any information.

But whatever we are releasing from this organisation, from our tables, must definitely be subjected to every test so that when we say this is verified or not verified we stand by our words.

Your request has been received and is being worked upon and the moment the verification process is concluded you will be given the right response. At no point in time will the NYSC, being a public institution, not respond to public enquiry.

Any enquiry will be responded to and, definitely, everything that would come from our organisation would have been subjected to every test of integrity and having passed the test of integrity, which we uphold very dearly, the response will be given.

You may just need to give a little more time so that the verification process goes through every stage and at the end of the day when anything is being said on the verification we can stand by it. We can say we have done every test of integrity.

PREMIUM TIMES: Why is it taking this long?

MRS ADEYEMI: There are occasions when you need to…we are talking about records of the past. There are occasions where some information you may have to search very well and through different places; particularly too, the organisation moved sometimes from Area 3 (in Abuja) to the present headquarters. So there are various times when (for) some information, you need a little extra time to get your record straight. But we don’t want ever to give out information when every test has not been carried out. Just give us a little more time and we will get back to you.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/275533-nysc-speaks-on-kemi-adeosuns-certificate-scandal.html

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by buharitill2023: 4:25pm On Jul 09, 2018
Nysc certificate is not compulsory,
But the forging is what I will not forgive her for.

You can only jail her for forgery, not because she did not participate in one useless corp service.

Nevertheless, kemi did not forge the nysc certificate.

66 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by Shukuakukobambi: 4:26pm On Jul 09, 2018
Indeed I doff my fila to Dapo Olorunyomi and his team. You mean they've been on this matter since April and nobody knew? shocked

NYSC should talk jare and let her carry her mumurity away from there. Nonsense

This is why the Lagos-Ibadan press will always be the cream of the fourth estate of the realm in Nigeria. I'm proud of you guys

128 Likes 11 Shares

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by Oche211(m): 4:31pm On Jul 09, 2018
In saner countries, we should be reading breaking news on her resignation.
All this back and forth movement by NYSC, i no longer trust them to do credible investigation on this.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by columbus007(m): 4:31pm On Jul 09, 2018
beating about the bush kinda stuffs

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by jerryjohn727: 4:31pm On Jul 09, 2018
Nigeria my country, u see how director is technically covering up.

19 Likes

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by Paperwhite(m): 4:32pm On Jul 09, 2018
"MRS ADEYEMI: There are occasions when you need to…we are talking about records of the past. There are occasions where some information you may have to search very well and through different places; particularly too, the organisation moved sometimes from Area 3 (in Abuja) to the present headquarters.

So there are various times when (for) some information, you need a little extra time to get your record straight. But we don’t want ever to give out information when every test has not been carried out. Just give us a little more time and we will get back to you.

So NYSC means their database is not secure No wonder documents can be forged. embarassed

Just a tap on a computer will solve this issue but the APC government will still keep try to spin the narratives starting with the Joe Igbokwe's shameless photoshopped of Kemi on NYSC uniform to cover their shame but I bet this is another one a scandal too hot for them to handle. Shitty people. angry Shithole government.

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 09, 2018
Meanwhile she was the commissioner of finance for Ogun state before becoming a minister..

45 Likes

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by gunuvi(m): 4:43pm On Jul 09, 2018
Not surprised, oga patapata too forged waec cert

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by clevvermind(m): 4:47pm On Jul 09, 2018
The woman is following the footstep of her master Buhari in scam.

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by Guestlander: 4:49pm On Jul 09, 2018
This will be a clear cut case of defamation if it turns out the certificate was indeed issued by the NYSC.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by ijustdey: 4:53pm On Jul 09, 2018
delay tactics

best way to kill a news and not focus on the content but on irrelevance....

corrupt government

34 Likes

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by alezzy13: 4:55pm On Jul 09, 2018
No doubt, a flurry of communication is currently going on between the presidency and NYSC.

Whether or not PMB shields the cockney-accented, London trained economist remains to be seen. Will he throw her to the waiting wolves? I truly doubt that, if his antecedents are anything to go by.

I suspect, however, they may be plotting a soft-landing for her.

Lets see how this unfolds

44 Likes

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by freeze001(f): 5:20pm On Jul 09, 2018
buharitill2023:
Nysc certificate is not compulsory,
But the forging is what I will not forgive her for.

You can only jail her for forgery, not because she did not participate in one useless corp service.

Nevertheless, kemi did not forge the nysc certificate.

The issue is a 'forged' exemption certificate. The fact that she did not undertake the mandatory one year service having graduated before the age of 30 means she is not eligible for any appointment in public service in any capacity. She is also not qualified for exemption according to the grounds for exemption provided in the NYSC Act. Why the hell does she have an NYSC Exemption certificate issued on grounds of Age when she clearly graduated before 30? It only shows that she apparently engaged in the criminal act of forgery in order to hold herself up as fit for public office as dictated by Nigerian law when she is not.

Bottom line is that she never participated in the mandatory one-year service. She is therefore not eligible for public service. Somehow she is in public office and something gave her backing, 'qualifying' her to do so. What is that thing? Is it legal? Was it acquired within the bounds of the law or by fraudulent means?

114 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by dyydxx: 5:28pm On Jul 09, 2018
freeze001:

The issue is a 'forged' exemption certificate. The fact that she did not undertake the mandatory one year service having graduated before the age of 30 means she is not eligible for any appointment in public service in any capacity. She is also not qualified for exemption according to the grounds for exemption provided in the NYSC Act. Why the hell does she have an NYSC Exemption certificate issued on grounds of Age when she clearly graduated before 30? It only shows that she apparently engaged in the criminal act of forgery in order to hold herself up as fit for public office as dictated by Nigerian law when she is not.

Bottom line is that she never participated in the mandatory one-year service. She is therefore not eligible for public service. Somehow she is in public office and something gave her backing, 'qualifying' her to do so. What is that thing? Is it legal? Was it acquired within the bounds of the law or by fraudulent means?

Correct. I hope a whole NYSC as an institution dont cover up fraud just to justify a corrupt official. It is far better for them to come clean than to destroy the institution because of an errant official

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by micfoley: 5:34pm On Jul 09, 2018
Hmmmm. The silence of the presidency and ministry of finance is deafening. For those who know how things go in Nigeria we know how this issue will pan out. For those who don't know, let me educate you.
Here is what will happen in the next few days:

The NYSC will set up a committee to look into the matter
The house of representatives will commence a hearing on this matter
The Senate will commence a hearing on this matter
The Federal government will set up a committee to look into the matter headed by the AGF
THERE will be protests at Unity fountain calling on the minister to resign
THERE will be protests at Unity fountain calling on the Minister to stay in office
Both group of protesters will clash at Unity fountain
After a bout 3 months, the President will askall Nigerians to pray over the matter
Next thing we know, it's time for elections
etc

Na me type all this? I try o

82 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by martolux(m): 5:36pm On Jul 09, 2018
NYSC having a form of godliness but denying its power....

9 Likes

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by whatmoreng: 5:38pm On Jul 09, 2018
OK na
Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 09, 2018
Kemi is a very shameful thing...

18 Likes

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by tolexy007(m): 5:43pm On Jul 09, 2018
tongue
Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by buharitill2023: 5:46pm On Jul 09, 2018
freeze001:

that is where me and the jobless aggressive lazy idiotic pigs of Biafra will not agree

She was wrong for submitting the fake copy if she knew she did not serve.

A lot of public office holder did not serve, like saraki and okonjo etc.

The problem now is that, how could she serve and be given exempted certificate?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by Olatunji1929: 5:49pm On Jul 09, 2018
Hmmmm if u dont want to get exposed dont join politics dem go expose ur grand father secret i fear u 9ja

3 Likes

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 09, 2018
freeze001:

If she was ibo you guys would have been shouting they want to bring your daughter down

Meanwhile innoson forged a document and has refused to appear in court and you guys are shouting witch hunting. You guys better be careful.
I see you ibos jumping on this matter like wolves.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by veekid(m): 5:53pm On Jul 09, 2018

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by Niyinficient(m): 5:54pm On Jul 09, 2018
We are waiting
Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by rozayx5(m): 5:54pm On Jul 09, 2018
Calls are being made

Premium times dropped the truth anything else na scam

8 Likes

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by OBAGADAFFI: 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2018
Checking NYSC status should not take 24 hours.

Hope to they not trying manipulate the system.

12 Likes

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by Dutchey(m): 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2018
am nt even interested in reading what they have to say...this one na story from & for NYSC... My own be say make NYSC pay my June salary, today na 9th oo... if not i'll say no to PPA

1 Like

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2018
If she is guilty of whatever crime she is being accused, then she should face the consequences including those who cleared her.
Nigeria will be a better place if the rich and top citizens gets to face consequences for their action, not just the poor alone.

On a lighter note, is this what Lara has been swallowing in silence all this while or are my eyes deceiving me??

5 Likes

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by obailala(m): 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2018
The usual script is being played out here; i.e. buying time to successfully bury the matter.

11 Likes

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by PearlStreet(m): 5:56pm On Jul 09, 2018
Just for a minute imagine that Kemi Adeosun was Igbo.

Buhari is victimising our daughter - Massob

We give Buhari 7 days ultimatum to legalise forgery for Igbos - Ohaneze

NYSC is victimising Igbo graduates - Vanguard News

We would bomb NYSC - Ipob pigs

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal by Lanre4uonly(m): 5:56pm On Jul 09, 2018
Ok. Fingers crossed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Okafor Attacks El-Rufai. Gives him seven days to reverse bill. / Lawyer Celebrates Lagos Potholes That Keep Expanding, With 3 Sodas / Abiola Ajimobi's Health Condition Worsens After Days In Coma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.