Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,030 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:44 AM

How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. (21517 Views)

Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator / 5 Food Combinations That May Affect Your Health / Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. by Baamivic: 3:57am On Jul 11, 2018
This buhari government didn't allow us to sleep well again oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. by lalpasa420: 5:49am On Jul 11, 2018
Not sure why but drinking coffee doesn't affect my sleep. Just yesterday I drank a cup of coffee and still fell asleep within 30 minutes just fine. I tried caffeine to stay awake but never worked for me.

One study followed 12 participants and discovered that “caffeine consumed {0, 3, and 6 hours before bedtime} diminished sleep quality...sleep monitors measuring total sleep time, and sleep efficiency (time spent sleeping relative to total time spent in bed) showed that caffeine consumed 6 hours before bedtime had significant detrimental effects…”

Another research study showed “A double espresso three hours before bedtime delayed the production of the sleep hormone melatonin by about 40 minutes, making it harder to nod off.”
source: https://www.homegrounds.co/coffee-and-sleep/

I haven't seen any of the effects on me, maybe I'm one of the few lucky ones. grin grin

However lack of sleep makes me depressed af! Agree on that though.

But the article is true about sex drive, lack of sleep makes me sleepy all day long, I wouldn't consider doing anything for sure.
Re: How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. by phemmyfour: 5:55am On Jul 11, 2018
mrstheo:
Since I gave birth to my LO have not had 2hours sleep for almost 3months now...God help me
get house help now

1 Like

Re: How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. by LucemFerre: 8:49am On Jul 11, 2018
This is really confusing... They said if you wanna be exceptionally good at anything you must sacrifice sleep and now sacrificing sleep has side effects too? What da hell would one do then?
Re: How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. by newslifeop: 9:11am On Jul 11, 2018
hmmm
Re: How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. by asawanathegreat(m): 10:13am On Jul 11, 2018
Deltatoto:
if we keep sleeping when u come to beg us money how do we have to give u
u are backyard politician nobody knows u inthe political terrain
Re: How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. by COMPUTERVILLA(m): 11:02am On Jul 11, 2018
Everything said is 100% True
latestupdate:
Signs you’re sleep deprived

The alarm yells and you hit the snooze button, hoping for a small window of reprieve. It works until you’re jolted awake by the consistent efficiency of the alarm clock again. So much for hoping it suddenly breaks so you can get an excuse to sleep in.

You begrudgingly get up after the third snooze cycle, haphazardly making your way into the kitchen to start brewing that cup of coffee you so desperately need. All the while you’re swearing at yourself, decrying that this is in fact the last time you’re going to go to bed late this late and wake up.

With the liquid injection of caffeine taking effect, it’s smooth sailing in the morning but before you know it, lunch is around the corner and you’re downing some carb-heavy meal with your colleagues. With a belly full, you settle back in to focus and like clockwork, your eyes shut and your head nods as you fight a losing battle with the nap gods.

You somehow weather this storm, wondering why companies don’t allow siestas that you always hear so many positive things about from your Spanish friends.

It’s now time to head home and after fighting some traffic that routinely rears its ugly head, you’re back at your place. You’re exhausted mentally and physically. Besides playing with the kids and talking with your significant other, you’ve got just enough energy to eat dinner. But of course you conveniently forgot to pick up the dry cleaning on the way home.
While battling the brain, you’re also at severe risk of affecting your overall health if you can’t manage enough sleep.

Here are some ways lack of sleep can affect your HEALTH

Heart disease – You have a 48% increased chance of heart disease, including an elevated risk of a heart attack.
High blood pressure -Your blood pressure could skyrocket, induced by both stress and low sleep.

Stroke – With your brain constantly fatigued and not able to properly repair itself overnight, your chances of stroke increase.

Diabetes – You’re at nearly three times the risk for Type II diabetes.

Lower sex drive – Your partner probably won’t be a fan of this and neither will you. Your sex drive plummets when you’re groggy and for good reason: you just don’t have the energy to accomplish simple tasks, let alone get frisky.

Higher chance of depression – Your energy levels go down and in turn your outlook on life can take a hit. In fact, getting too much or too little sleep is usually the first sign of mental health issues.

Weight gain – Weight gain is another side effect of lack of sleep. Your glucose metabolism takes a beating along with the hormones that regulate your overall metabolism, shown through decreased leptin levels and increased ghrelin levels. Leptin acts as an appetite suppressant and is released when you’re full, while ghrelin is released from the stomach in response to fasting and promotes the feeling of hunger.

Decreased immune function – The immune system takes a big hit when you’re consistently running low on a good night’s rest. In fact, you’re three times more likely to catch a cold according to John Hopkins Medicine.

And the list goes on.

Read how Lack of sleep affects your brain, and what to do

https://ukaid.org/2018/07/10/how-lack-of-sleep-affects-brain-perfomance/
Re: How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. by mrstheo(f): 11:26am On Jul 11, 2018
phemmyfour:
get house help now
my mum promise to send a young girl soon, Thanks
Re: How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. by phemmyfour: 11:50am On Jul 11, 2018
mrstheo:
my mum promise to send a young girl soon, Thanks
alright
Re: How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. by Deltatoto: 12:22pm On Jul 11, 2018
asawanathegreat:
u are backyard politician nobody knows u inthe political terrain
nobody knew Jonathan until he lead the country?y are u using I’ll words we dey quarrel?
Re: How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. by asawanathegreat(m): 7:43pm On Jul 11, 2018
Deltatoto:
nobody knew Jonathan until he lead the country?y are u using I’ll words we dey quarrel?
no vex bros I no mean to hurt u sorry.
Re: How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. by Deltatoto: 8:52pm On Jul 11, 2018
asawanathegreat:
no vex bros I no mean to hurt u sorry.
one love my leader

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zimbabwean Man Discovers His Wife Has Been Hiding Her HIV Status / See Photos Of Brave Nigerian Health Volunteers Battling Ebola Virus In Liberia / Causes Of Asthma And Its Top Early Symptoms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.