Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,110 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

What Is The Importance Of The Continental Free Trade Agreement - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Is The Importance Of The Continental Free Trade Agreement (8066 Views)

Cosmas Maduka Hails Stanley Uzochukwu For Repaying ₦150m Loan Without Agreement / Afcfta: The Unknown Secrets About The African Continental Free Trade Agreement.. / Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Importance Of The Continental Free Trade Agreement by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 12, 2018
pocohantas:
Nice initiative, but I don't see Nigeria benefiting much from it.

We consume way more than we produce/export.
yes, we do consume more but is it not better we consume African produce. For instance, why can't we import cars from South Africa. We can satisfy some basic needs as Africans before looking abroad. The money remains in Africa, it devel Africa. The "loot" we want to share now is the proceed from the original loot Abacha made. I mean Switzerland already invested that money and it has tripled, they are giving back what's left from the gains of whatever investment the money was used for. That's what I mean. Whatever grant we think we are getting from these countries is gains from looted or exported money. No continent develops from grants. It doesn't have to be 100 percent beneficial to Nigeria. One way or the other,Nigeria will benefit being an African country.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of The Continental Free Trade Agreement by AdeolaOmoOba(m): 12:58pm On Jul 12, 2018
It means gun-wielding Fulani herdsmen will be free to enter Nigeria from other countries free of charge in collaboration with other terrorist cells in Libya, Chad, Niger, Cameroon, etc., all in the name of trades. Remember the railway PMB wants to construct from Nigeria to Niger, it will help facilitate the agenda.
Re: What Is The Importance Of The Continental Free Trade Agreement by pocohantas(f): 1:07pm On Jul 12, 2018
majekdom2:
yes, we do consume more but is it not better we consume African produce. For instance, why can't we import cars from South Africa. We can satisfy some basic needs as Africans before looking abroad. The money remains in Africa, it devel Africa. The "loot" we want to share now is the proceed from the original loot Abacha made. I mean Switzerland already invested that money and it has tripled, they are giving back what's left from the gains of whatever investment the money was used for. That's what I mean. Whatever grant we think we are getting from these countries is gains from looted or exported money. No continent develops from grants. It doesn't have to be 100 percent beneficial to Nigeria. One way or the other,Nigeria will benefit being an African country.

Are we going to develop African at the expense of quality?

Anyway, I know we would gain a bit. But knowing Nigeria is and has always been a dumping ground, we are only going to be used.
Let's see how it goes.
Re: What Is The Importance Of The Continental Free Trade Agreement by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jul 12, 2018
pocohantas:

Are we going to develop African at the expense of quality?

Anyway, I know we would gain a bit. But knowing Nigeria is and has always been a dumping ground, we are only going to be used.
Let's see how it goes.
only a few Nigerian brands are Pan African and these are big businesses by billionaires i.e Dangote, a few banks, glo and some oil companies. When you say quality what do you meAn? How did techno start? In South America they have their brands they patronise when it comes to electronics. Africa should do same. Yes, let’s see how it goes. It will benefit us and I hope Nigerians don’t abuse it because I don’t fond citizens of other African countries on the streets in Nigeria but I see loads on the streets of other African countries.
Re: What Is The Importance Of The Continental Free Trade Agreement by pocohantas(f): 4:42pm On Jul 12, 2018
majekdom2:
only a few Nigerian brands are Pan African and these are big businesses by billionaires i.e Dangote, a few banks, glo and some oil companies. When you say quality what do you meAn? How did techno start? In South America they have their brands they patronise when it comes to electronics. Africa should do same. Yes, let’s see how it goes. It will benefit us and I hope Nigerians don’t abuse it because I don’t fond citizens of other African countries on the streets in Nigeria but I see loads on the streets of other African countries.

I was thinking the idea is to promote international trade among African countries. If that's the idea, then comparative advantage should be considered. How many indigenous businesses have the resources to produce goods that can satisfy a large market, without seriously compromising on quality?

They definitely won't accept our nonsense, but we on our part would take whatever is thrown at us. All thanks to SON.
Re: What Is The Importance Of The Continental Free Trade Agreement by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jul 12, 2018
pocohantas:

I was thinking the idea is to promote international trade among African countries. If that's the idea, then comparative advantage should be considered. How many indigenous businesses have the resources to produce goods that can satisfy a large market, without seriously compromising on quality?

They definitely won't accept our nonsense, but we on our part would take whatever is thrown at us. All thanks to SON.
@ bolded, this is where foreign investment will play out. More foreign firms will be happy to invest to satisfy these needs. I am sure the electronic industry in China has investors other than the Chinese. They won't accept our nonsense means we will upgrade at all cost and common sense should tell us not to accept their nonsense too...

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of The Continental Free Trade Agreement by Horus(m): 3:17pm On Jun 12, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mzV8ZjR_II

African free trade zone comes into force

(1) (2) (Reply)

Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN / All Bet9ja Agents / I Need A Business Partner In Lagos And Aba . I Live Abroad. Please Get In Touch!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.