Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,748 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

Advantages Of Securing Your Website With SSL Certificates. - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Advantages Of Securing Your Website With SSL Certificates. (4617 Views)

I Need Help With SSL Installation / Free Unlimited Hosting With Ssl / Guard Your Website Reputation: Stay Protected With SSL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advantages Of Securing Your Website With SSL Certificates. by chukzyfcbb: 12:15pm On Jul 13, 2018
Shuayb0:
You were right about the Diginotar incident, but SSL are not installed by users or visitor, that's the site owner's responsibility.

Businesses should understand that they need not wait for browsers to give users warning before protecting their web assets.

SSL is the internet equivalence of a driver's license. Truth is a site as big as Nairaland needs a Certum EV SSL.
uhmm maybe I didn't write it out well yes SSL is the job of the site to secure the assets the users is trying to access from prying eyes.

However that digitally signed certificate that contains the private keys of both the web server and the web client can be installed (I stand to be corrected).

The thing is most browsers already comes with these certificates pre-installed, but hackers can make you install certificates if you visit rogue sites.

Haven't you encountered that notification that says "this site certificate isn't trusted, click this to install bla bla".
That happens when the digitally signed certificate isn't recognised by the web browser , so the server presents its own certificate.

So that's that bro, users can install it.

even android phones can smiley
Re: Advantages Of Securing Your Website With SSL Certificates. by Shuayb0(m): 1:19pm On Jul 13, 2018
Sir, this is how it works.

If you require a digitally signed certificate, you generate a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) from your web server, which comes with your server's private key.

All modern web browsers have Root Certificates of major Certificate Authorities.

After providing the CSR, your choice Certificate Authority provides an SSL, which contains a Digitally Signed certificate for your server, a root certificate and an Intermediate certificate, all these form a chain of certificates.

However, If after installing an SSL on your server (lets assume a rogue one), the web browser connecting to the server cannot recognize your root certificate or cannot match it with the one it has, then you get a warning. But if it's from a trusted CA you don't.

So what is existing in browsers isn't the actual certificate, but a root certificate of recognized CAs.
chukzyfcbb:

uhmm maybe I didn't write it out well yes SSL is the job of the site to secure the assets the users is trying to access from prying eyes.

However that digitally signed certificate that contains the private keys of both the web server and the web client can be installed (I stand to be corrected).

The thing is most browsers already comes with these certificates pre-installed, but hackers can make you install certificates if you visit rogue sites.

Haven't you encountered that notification that says "this site certificate isn't trusted, click this to install bla bla".
That happens when the digitally signed certificate isn't recognised by the web browser , so the server presents its own certificate.

So that's that bro, users can install it.

even android phones can smiley
Re: Advantages Of Securing Your Website With SSL Certificates. by Shuayb0(m): 1:25pm On Jul 13, 2018
Is it a wordpress site or what kind of server environment was it installed on?
Obagoblog:
Pls, how do I automatically direct users that access my site with http to https(ssl)
Re: Advantages Of Securing Your Website With SSL Certificates. by Obagoblog(m): 2:24pm On Jul 13, 2018
Shuayb0:
Is it a wordpress site or what kind of server environment was it installed on?
Yeah... Wordpress site
Re: Advantages Of Securing Your Website With SSL Certificates. by Shuayb0(m): 2:54pm On Jul 13, 2018
Please install Really Simple SSL plugin, it will show you a prompt to click. After clicking, logout and login again, your traffic should be routed via https.
Obagoblog:

Yeah... Wordpress site
Re: Advantages Of Securing Your Website With SSL Certificates. by chukzyfcbb: 3:44pm On Jul 13, 2018
Shuayb0:
Sir, this is how it works.

If you require a digitally signed certificate, you generate a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) from your web server, which comes with your server's private key.

All modern web browsers have Root Certificates of major Certificate Authorities.

After providing the CSR, your choice Certificate Authority provides an SSL, which contains a Digitally Signed certificate for your server, a root certificate and an Intermediate certificate, all these form a chain of certificates.

However, If after installing an SSL on your server (lets assume a rogue one), the web browser connecting to the server cannot recognize your root certificate or cannot match it with the one it has, then you get a warning. But if it's from a trusted CA you don't.

So what is existing in browsers isn't the actual certificate, but a root certificate of recognized CAs.
yes you are correct, that was what I was tryna explain but I guess I wasn't detailed on that.

You are spot on
Re: Advantages Of Securing Your Website With SSL Certificates. by Obagoblog(m): 9:50pm On Jul 13, 2018
Shuayb0:
Please install Really Simple SSL plugin, it will show you a prompt to click. After clicking, logout and login again, your traffic should be routed via https.
Thank you.. I'll try it out
Re: Advantages Of Securing Your Website With SSL Certificates. by Afrocentric: 2:55pm On Jul 14, 2018
TechCapon:
SSL certification is free at least my new host gave me free of charge. Thank God I left hostgator. They charge you for everything.
brother, what is your new host?
Re: Advantages Of Securing Your Website With SSL Certificates. by TechCapon(m): 3:39pm On Jul 14, 2018
Afrocentric:
brother, what is your new host?
namecheap
Re: Advantages Of Securing Your Website With SSL Certificates. by Afrocentric: 6:37pm On Jul 14, 2018
TechCapon:
namecheap
is it Nigerian hosting company?
Re: Advantages Of Securing Your Website With SSL Certificates. by TechCapon(m): 9:07pm On Jul 14, 2018
Afrocentric:
is it Nigerian hosting company?
American.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Drop Your Twitter Handles Here. / Help To Correct This Php Mailer Code / How Much Will It Cost To Have Something Like This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.