Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,096 members, 7,807,274 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria (16870 Views)

Itakpe-Ajaokuta-Warri Railway Project In Pictures / Itakpe-Ajaokuta-Warri Railway Station Under Construction / Map Of The Itakpe - Ajaokuta - Warri Rail Line Corridors And Future Extensions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by FriendNG: 2:37pm On Jul 13, 2018
More than three decades after the commencement of construction on a 276-kilometre standard gauge rail line linking Warri in Delta State to Ajaokuta, Kogi State, train operation will begin on the route in two weeks, the Managing Director, Nigerian Railway Corporation, Mr Fidet Okheria, has said.

Okheria, who spoke at a press briefing in Lagos, said it was heart-warming that the standard gauge rail line would finally come alive as part of efforts of the Federal Government to deliver functional and modern rail sytem.

He, however, said that the new train would run while the rebuilding of the vandalised railway stations along the route and signalling system would be ongoing.

Okheria said this was to avert fresh vandalising of railway equipment in the area by hoodlums who took advantage of the prolonged abandonment to wreck havoc on the facilities initially erected there.

“In two weeks’ time, we want to ride on the train from Itakpe-Ajaokuta to Warri. This will enable us to assess what they have done and to know when the full operation will be inaugurated,” he said.

The NRC MD expected that the line would be fully opened to members of the public for use by August.

The Minister of Transportation, Mr Rotimi Amaechi, while inspecting the project in Warri last year hinted that the new rail line would start operation at the end of the second quarter this year.

He said that the Federal Government had included it in the budget, adding, “There are two phases of the contracts; the first one was awarded in 1987. We have a directive from the Federal Government that we must complete the Itakpe-Ajaokuta-Warri rail line and it was put in this year budget.

“By the end of December last year, we had disbursed some money to the contractors; Julius Berger and others to commence work, so we have come to see how far.”

The minister also said, “We are constructing bridges too in order to reduce contact with humans beings who would try to cross the track because this is a speed lane and once it starts, it is going to be 120 to 150km per hour because it is a standard gauge.

“If this contract was completed within the time it was awarded, Nigeria would have been the first country in Africa to have a standard gauge line.”

The project, otherwise called the central railway line, was initially planned to be delivered in five years, but was stalled for decades due to paucity of funds.

The rail line from Warri, passing through Itakpe, Ajaokuta, Agbor and Ore, with six stations along the route, was conceived to carry steel products and raw materials from the Delta Steel Company, Aladja, but was abandoned after about 254 kilometres had been done.

The project was reactivated in 2009 with the Federal Government agreeing to pay N33bn for the design and completion of the remaining 22 kilometres.

The contract was awarded to Team Nigeria and Julius Berger, and was meant to be delivered in March 2013. The contract sum also covered the sidings of the Ajaokuta-Warri rail line up to Delta Steel Aladja, and construction of six stations with the rehabilitation of the completed portion of the line. Again no provision was reportedly made this in that year’s budget.

Okhria also said track engineers from the General Electric would be in Nigeria next week to begin the execution of the interim framework contract for nation’s narrow gauge rail track rehabilitation and management.

He said, “We have an arrangement where the consortium will come in with their track engineering experts and work with our men. Our men will be working with them during this period so that there will also be transfer of knowledge. We are trying to get serious and committed people within us to work with them in our workshop while they are here.”

He said that the company would provide 200 new wagons and 10 locomotives to improve the operation of the narrow gauge lines.

He said, “The GE will come and fix 10 out of the 25 locomotives that are not working that we have. We hope that during the process of closing at the final concession, all this would make the Nigerian trains move better, more reliable and meet up with its responsibility. That is why we have the interim phase. We are planning it so that we have a win-win situation for Nigeria and Nigerians as well as the consortium.”

http://punchng.com/itakpe-ajaokuta-warri-rail-linell-begin-operation-in-two-weeks-okheria/amp/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by kuntash: 2:52pm On Jul 13, 2018
issorite..

as usual,

WE WILL
WE SHALL
WHEN WE
BEFORE THE

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 13, 2018
cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by brunofarad(m): 2:53pm On Jul 13, 2018
Good one

2 Likes

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by Leetunechi: 2:53pm On Jul 13, 2018
Like if you know buhari is a dullard

24 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by utenwuson: 2:55pm On Jul 13, 2018
cool..... try it and be stranded in the bush

2 Likes

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by forayfleo(m): 2:55pm On Jul 13, 2018
Hmmmmmmm
Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 13, 2018
action speaks louder dan viz

4 Likes

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by jeffoe(m): 2:56pm On Jul 13, 2018
Hope it sees the light of the day
Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by darfay: 2:57pm On Jul 13, 2018
No matter how much we hate to admit it. This government is transforming our rail sector but that won't stop us from sending him back to Daura

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by modupe2: 2:57pm On Jul 13, 2018
They are here......enemies of good news

kuntash:
issorite..

as usual,

WE WILL
WE SHALL
WHEN WE
BEFORE THE

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 13, 2018
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by Maket: 3:00pm On Jul 13, 2018
If not for this stupid herdsmen killings, I just love this government.

PMB, pls stop herdsmen killings, create jobs and give employment and see how you will defeat any one from the NORTH, EAST, WEST and SOUTH of this country.
GBAM
QED
ASAP
EOD

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by GavelSlam: 3:01pm On Jul 13, 2018
kuntash:
issorite..

as usual,

WE WILL
WE SHALL
WHEN WE
BEFORE THE

Just like your career.

grin

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 13, 2018
darfay:
No matter how much we hate to admit it. This government is transforming our rail sector but that won't stop us from sending him back to Daura

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by otokx(m): 3:03pm On Jul 13, 2018
I would like to be on the inaugural ride from Warri to Ajaokuta in the airconditioned train,

They should try and do Ajaokuta to Abuja

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by jibs4lv(m): 3:04pm On Jul 13, 2018
Leetunechi:
Like if you know buhari is a dullard
only God know wetting you dey do with that like you dey always crave for , I gues na im you dey take feed your family bah hahaha sorry na hungary go kee you o cox you never get one grin

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by dikeigbo2(m): 3:05pm On Jul 13, 2018
Very good.....
Just mark the date... and his words....in two weeks time

Seriously waiting

1 Like

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by jibs4lv(m): 3:07pm On Jul 13, 2018
kuntash:
issorite..

as usual,

WE WILL
WE SHALL
WHEN WE
BEFORE THE

enemy of progress spotted , good news they give them headich .... make then give these animal freedom to go now haba tongue

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by Leetunechi: 3:07pm On Jul 13, 2018
jibs4lv:
only God know wetting you dey do with that like you dey always crave for , I gues na im you dey take feed your family bah hahaha sorry na hungary go kee you o cox you never get one grin

If you were from Croatia, your name for be idiotic cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by uyplus(m): 3:08pm On Jul 13, 2018
Propaganda!
Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by Blue3k(m): 3:08pm On Jul 13, 2018
All sorts of good news. The rail sector is improving slowly with little things like E-ticketing, NRC adding more oil tankers, more wagons and GE fixing narrow gauge.

7 Likes

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by jibs4lv(m): 3:10pm On Jul 13, 2018
Leetunechi:

If you were from Croatia, your name for be idiotic cheesy
and now that I be proud Nigerian nko, make i dey answer my name dey go den werey Omo ale jatijati undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by Leetunechi: 3:11pm On Jul 13, 2018
jibs4lv:
and now that I be proud Nigerian nko, make i dey answer my name dey go den werey Omo ale jatijati undecided

Awa LA ba el
Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by Maket: 3:12pm On Jul 13, 2018
dikeigbo2:
Very good.....
Just mark the date... and his words....in two weeks time

Seriously waiting
It may take 2 months but surely within the year.

1 Like

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by Danny225: 3:12pm On Jul 13, 2018
Hello nairalanders, please pardon my
English ooo. Let me go straight to the point.
My name is sunny and am in my 20's. I am
been into production of food and Beverages
since 2010 and am well experienced in my field. I
know how to make different drinks like:
Softdrinks (Cola, orange, lemon, apple flavours
etc)

Flavoured drinks (Non carbonated)
Yoghurt (sachets and bottle yoghurt).
To write is just a few of what I can produce but
none around to help me with all this different
drinks formulation that I possessed I have
different recipe for all the above mentioned
drinks. I can even produce one of the best Cola
raw concentrate but here I am with no one to
help me to actualize my dream. I have photos of
what I have produced in the past for few people
that have consulted me.

I know within me that someone somewhere on
nairaland will connect me with right person that
will bring out the best is me. I have been jobless
all this while despite the fact of huge potential in
me that's untapped.

Please nairalanders, help your fellow bro
You can reach me on 08128106231.
God bless you all.

1 Like

Re: Itakpe-ajaokuta-warri Standard Gauge Begin Operation In Two Weeks – Okheria by Newpride(m): 3:15pm On Jul 13, 2018
Buhari is doing great job but he has turn deaf heat to the security problem we are facing.

If things like this were been put into place since 1999, this nation would have moved forward. But they prefer looting to delivering of dividends of democracy and good governance.

Pmb shld stop making the security issue a family affair and sack most of the security chiefs from the northern part and replace them with people from other tribe and other religion to balance equation so that 2019 can be sure for him.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Trailers Crash And Burn Along Oyo-Ogbomosho Expressway (photos) / Anambra Attracts $1.65bn Investments As Oduah Heads Anambra Airport Project / Lagos Closes Costain Bridge, Roundabout, Issues Travel Advisory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.