Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,197 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

English Grammar : Is "Fondly Memories" Correct? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / English Grammar : Is "Fondly Memories" Correct? (796 Views)

10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them / 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid / WAEC Result: I'm Disappointed With This Grammar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Grammar : Is "Fondly Memories" Correct? by LordsApostle: 10:07am On Jul 14, 2018
Hello house, in my write up I used the phrase "fondly memories " and I was quickly corrected by a friend that it was "fond memories " ,so house please.
Why is "fondly memories" wrong? And why is "fond memories " correct.

Response please...
Re: English Grammar : Is "Fondly Memories" Correct? by LordsApostle: 11:26am On Jul 14, 2018
C. C : encryptjay,tallesty1 ,okwabayi, rocktation, rex123, femi4, lilbest4, chrisbaxtian, sapiosexuality.
Re: English Grammar : Is "Fondly Memories" Correct? by Rocktation(f): 1:05pm On Jul 14, 2018
Ehennn, you are mentioning me again...if I answer in full nau, you will spew a conspirator theory that has no head or tail.

Abeg, I'm an educated woman, but I'm afraid I cannot speak intelligently on the evolving habits in the usage of the English language. What I do know, is that "fondly memories", does not ring correct and that I and my household, owe nobody any explanation and will continue to stick to all that we know that we know. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: English Grammar : Is "Fondly Memories" Correct? by LordsApostle: 3:18pm On Jul 14, 2018
Rocktation:
Ehennn, you are mentioning me again...if I answer in full nau, you will spew a conspirator theory that has no head or tail.

Abeg, I'm an educated woman, but I'm afraid I cannot speak intelligently on the evolving habits in the usage of the English language. What I do know, is that "fondly memories", does not ring correct and that I and my household, owe nobody any explanation and will continue to stick to all that we know that we know. Thank you.

MA which one is house hold again in English na? Abeg? My question is just to know if the grammer is correct or not, if yes why, if No why not.
Re: English Grammar : Is "Fondly Memories" Correct? by phemmyfour: 5:18pm On Jul 14, 2018
LordsApostle:
C. C : encryptjay,tallesty1 ,okwabayi, rocktation, rex123, femi4, lilbest4, chrisbaxtian, sapiosexuality.
"fond" memories not "fondly"

Fondly : Adverb

Fond: Adjective

Memories: Noun

An adjective qualifies a noun. Hence, "fond" is appropriate

1 Like

Re: English Grammar : Is "Fondly Memories" Correct? by encryptjay(m): 5:30pm On Jul 14, 2018
Re: English Grammar : Is "Fondly Memories" Correct? by okwabayi(m): 6:00pm On Jul 14, 2018
phemmyfour:

You're back again?

It's obviously 'fond memories'. If you read books you'll come across it a lot.

Rocktation abi whatever she calls herself should suggest an English section on this forum. She should make it a sub-section of the education section.

People like LordsApostle and others ready to improve their grammar will dominate there. It will also play a lot of good on this forum as most of the stomach-wrenching grammar will disappear.

1 Like

Re: English Grammar : Is "Fondly Memories" Correct? by LordsApostle: 7:28pm On Jul 14, 2018
Well said, nice one...
Re: English Grammar : Is "Fondly Memories" Correct? by LordsApostle: 5:45am On Jul 15, 2018
Sorry sir, it just reoccured to me, an adverb can also qualify a noun too, or are u forgetting?
phemmyfour:

Re: English Grammar : Is "Fondly Memories" Correct? by phemmyfour: 5:53am On Jul 15, 2018
LordsApostle:
Sorry sir, it just reoccured to me, an adverb can also qualify a noun too, or are u forgetting?
No, it qualifies an adjective, verb, or other adverb,

The word adverb was coined from "+verb," literally "that which is added to a verb.
Re: English Grammar : Is "Fondly Memories" Correct? by LordsApostle: 6:07am On Jul 15, 2018
Okay yeah, I agree with you, well done....
phemmyfour:
No, it qualifies an adjective, verb, or other adverb,

The word adverb was coined from "+verb," literally "that which is added to a verb.

(1) (Reply)

Africa Initiative For Governance (AIG) 2019/20 Scholarships. / Apply Now: University Of The People Online Tuition Free Degrees / Pls Help! Is This Grammar Correct

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.