Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,669 members, 7,801,933 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? (14425 Views)

Did The Bible Really Say That A Woman Must Marry Her Rapist? / Hey Christians, How Much Can You Really Say To Defend Your Religion? / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by alBHAGDADI: 6:58am On Jul 15, 2018
These days, every time someone does something extremely wrong, what we hear people say is that we shouldn't judge them for the wrong thing they've done. It's even bad when you see a celebrity like Tonto Dikeh who glorifies herself in sin still openly telling people not to judge
her. It was worse when I saw comments from supposed Christians on her page telling others not to judge her when a video showed her saying jibberish which she called speaking in tongues at the altar of a so-called Church, while heavily living in sin, and when the Bible said woman should not teach in Church.

People are always quick to pull the "don't judge" card to prevent good people from pointing out the wrong in others. They usually say " didn't Jesus say you shouldn't judge?"

Luke 6:37
37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Such talk from them is very stupid. It's the same as saying I shouldn't spank my child for doing something wrong because of "thou shall not judge". Why not go to a court of law and tell the judge that his name alone is offensive, and that he should let you off the hook without punishment for whatever crime took you to court. Don't you know that to judge is the same as making a decision or having an opinion?

Now, did Jesus really say we shouldn't judge? Let's look at the full explanation of the teaching which people have misconstrued to think Jesus actually said we shouldn't judge.

Mathew 7:1-5

1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye?
5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

I'm glad you read the above passage. You see, many people who misconstrue this passage often do because they read and stop at verse 2. Even those who who read beyond that still do not understand the rest of the passage.

Christ didn't say we shouldn't judge. He only said we shouldn't judge if we know we are partaking in the same kind of sin. It's the same as a thief judging a thief, or a rapist judging a rapist. If you are the type that loots company's money, you have no right to judge politicians who loot public funds because you are alike. If you open your mouth to state that a politician should be jailed for looting, then same will be your punishment for looting.

" 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you."

It is so because you didn't consider yourself first before judging others. You have to ensure you are not guilty of a certain sin before you speak against it. You will be an hypocrite if you judge when you commit the same sin.

"3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye?"

Does all of these still say we shouldn't judge? No.
To avoid making hypocritical judgement, you have to ensure you are good and not a partaker of such sin, because that's the only way you can see clearly to point out the wrong others are doing.

"5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

The above verse didn't say after you've removed the plank from your own eye, you should leave the one in your brother's eye. It says after you've removed the plank from your own eye, then you will see clearly to remove the speck in your brother's eye.

It doesn't say after you've made yourself good, you shouldn't point out the wrong in what others are doing.
It says that's when you can judge.

But Christians have been fooled to believe they shouldn't judge. They forget that they will be the ones to judge angels.

1 Corinthians 6-3

Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Did you read the above verse? It says we are going to judge angels, how much more things that are Pertaining To THis Life. So, if you still believe Jesus said we should not judge, then how will we be able to judge the angels and even things that are Pertaining to this life?

Remember Paul judged when a case of a fornicator was brought to him. He wasn't even there, yet he passed his judgement. Had it been Paul was a fornicator too, then he would have been an Hypocrite disobeying Jesus.

1 Corinthians 5:3

For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,

I know some people will be quick to state that Jesus also said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". You see, that scenario is quite different. That involves condemnation. A woman was about to be stoned for adultery; it is good to judge her for adultery when you are not an adulterer yourself, but stepping forward to stone her requires more than not just being an adulterer. You have to be sinless. When these people who wanted to stone realized that, they left her alone. But they had no blame for judging her. This is why you need to stay away from places where jungle Justice is being carried out.

All those who often use the "thou shall not judge" often use it as a mantra to prevent people from telling them to stop doing evil. You see a lady dressed like a sex worker and you tell her it is wrong, the next thing you hear is "why are you judging me?" I'm judging because what you are doing is wrong and I have the right to because I don't partaker in such.

Christians, when next someone tries to misquote Jesus words to prevent you from judging, tell them they are wrong. Explain this to them and also show them that Jesus also gave you the power to judge angels.

61 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by babyfaceafrica: 7:44am On Jul 15, 2018
lolz
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:04am On Jul 15, 2018
YES, Jesus said so........Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.Luke 6:37.

Christ didn't say we shouldn't judge. He only said we shouldn't judge if we know we are partaking in the same kind of sin. It's the same as a thief judging a thief, or a rapist judging a rapist. If you are the type that loots company's money, you have no right to judge politicians who loot public funds because you are alike. If you open your mouth to state that a politician should be jailed for looting, then same will be your punishment for looting.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Emeskhalifa(m): 9:04am On Jul 15, 2018
The wan wey dey pain me na d unmarried ones wey go don bleep from monday to Saturday night then wake up sunday morning baff go church and be pretending like nothing happened

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Proffdada: 9:04am On Jul 15, 2018
Yes He did
Matthew 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Today's my birthday, show me love wink kiss

Thanks everyone for your likes and shares. God bless. You make my day

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by SEONaijaExpert: 9:05am On Jul 15, 2018
Everyone of you should go to Church

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Kelamma(m): 9:07am On Jul 15, 2018
Some Christians are self serving sometimes to the extent that they turn the word of God upside down just to suit them at that instance.

If you call yourself a child of God,you must be christlike and every true christian know what Christ signifies....love,Patience,Tolerance,Truthfulness, Perseverance , Generousity, Selflessness, Kindness,Obedience ,Modesty and Humility........

When you deviate from God's path,you don't need anybody to judge you,your conscience is your judge,if it's still alive.

7 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by purem(m): 9:08am On Jul 15, 2018
OP have a little patient, JC is coming back very soon then you can ask him yourself

3 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Newpride(m): 9:08am On Jul 15, 2018
YES, Jesus said so..... Luke 6:37.

God bless u today, u spoke my mind.

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by englishmart(m): 9:10am On Jul 15, 2018
who made you a judge over others?
Are you a magistrate, or a village head, or a judge? Why would you even want to judge someone for something you are also guilty of

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by badmrkt(m): 9:10am On Jul 15, 2018
Thanks @op.

3 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Daeylar(f): 9:12am On Jul 15, 2018
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by izzou(m): 9:12am On Jul 15, 2018
grin grin grin

Should I tag this the dumbest explanation I have ever seen? grin

Don't judge anyone Oga. Simple

Which one be as long as you are not committing the same sin? undecided Rubbish

A thief will eventually go to hell. An adulterer will eventually go to hell. So what's the point of the thief judging an adulterer when both of them will eventually end in hell if they don't repent?

Don't judge anybody oga. Because you are not gay doesn't mean you will enter heaven. You and a gay might go to hell. That's the point

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by frubben(m): 9:14am On Jul 15, 2018
its one thing to know the scripture and it another thing to interpret. God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by dingbang(m): 9:15am On Jul 15, 2018
God is the supreme judge... Shut up and live a holy life, minding your business and doing good.

First bank customers there is good news for you, click the link on my signature to know more.

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by pointstores(m): 9:15am On Jul 15, 2018
Judge and be judged that's life peace affordable solar in stock
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by brodalokie: 9:16am On Jul 15, 2018
Judgment is very sweat. It will dismember all your body parts bits by bit, then at last strike a final blow by helping you out of your misery.
You know the Bible says we are not actually fighting against flesh and blood? It is true.

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by mohemos: 9:17am On Jul 15, 2018
God bless you My Dear!

4 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by BluntBoy(m): 9:19am On Jul 15, 2018
post=69394701:
YES, Jesus said so..... Luke 6:37.

Well-said. However, those verses are constantly being twisted.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by akeentech(m): 9:20am On Jul 15, 2018
badmrkt:
Thanks @op.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Springdale: 9:21am On Jul 15, 2018
If you get your child with a woman, don’t judge o

When it’s obvious you’re also sleeping with someone other than your wife.

tongue
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:22am On Jul 15, 2018
BluntBoy:

Well-said. However, those verses are constantly being twisted.
You are right

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Sman37(m): 9:22am On Jul 15, 2018
izzou:
grin grin grin

Should I tag this the dumbest explanation I have ever seen? grin

Don't judge anyone Oga. Simple

Which one be as long as you are not committing the same sin? undecided Rubbish

A thief will eventually go to hell. An adulterer will eventually go to hell. So what's the point of the thief judging an adulterer when both of them will eventually end in hell if they don't repent?

Don't judge anybody oga. Because you are not gay doesn't mean you will enter heaven. You and a gay might go to hell. That's the point
what it or pastor tape ur mother, sister, nephew or any lol
pls don't judge that's = highest corruption no wonder fayose is a good example!
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Jerrypolo(m): 9:23am On Jul 15, 2018
A Christian thread on a Sunday morning with a Muslim OP.

This is how they come misquoting the Bible and deceiving the gullible. This same set of people you must swear before an Oracle to comment on their thread.

Christians need to wake up from this foolishness.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Sman37(m): 9:24am On Jul 15, 2018
Sman37:

what if ur pastor rrape ur mother, sister, nephew or any lol
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Nobody: 9:26am On Jul 15, 2018
ok
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by izzou(m): 9:28am On Jul 15, 2018
Sman37:

what it or pastor tape ur mother, sister, nephew or any lol

Go to the dictionary.

Read up the meaning of the word JUDGE

Then come back and see it what you typed makes any sense
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Bgorgeous: 9:33am On Jul 15, 2018
Thank you for this eye opener
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by twilliamx(m): 9:38am On Jul 15, 2018
T
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by teelaw4life(m): 9:39am On Jul 15, 2018
Silly Sunday post
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 15, 2018
Nice post there OP. I had a chat with my colleague on this topic last week.

Jesus did also not intend his words like you cited above (Do not judge et al) to be used to stop others from admonishing others when they are committing sinful behaviour. Also, admonishing sinners is a spiritual work of mercy that we are to engage in:

"My brethren, if any one among you wanders from the truth and some one brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins" - James 5, 19-20.

New International Version
remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

New Living Translation
you can be sure that whoever brings the sinner back will save that person from death and bring about the forgiveness of many sins.

English Standard Version
let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Taking Jesus’ teaching out of context, one might try to use it as a pretext for moral relativism,the idea that all moral judgements regarding the conduct of others are to be suspended and each person is to be allowed to define what is morally good for himself.
We do not define moral truth for ourselves. Like OP rightly said, if it is wrong to make moral judgements regarding the behaviour of others then it would be wrong to judge others for judging!

3 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Vidamia(m): 9:41am On Jul 15, 2018
purem:
OP have a little patient, JC is coming back very soon then you can ask him yourself
You mean JACKIE CHAN

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Praying In Tongues : The Weapon That Builds You Up - Joseph Prince Sermon Notes / Preaching In The Bus / DIG Haruna's Tragic Death Prophesied By?? Guess?? TB Joshua!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.