Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,574 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina (4682 Views)

Would Nigeria Had Done Better In This Match Under Shuaibu Amodu? / Nigeria Vs Argentina 2011 Friendly: 4 - 1 (Eagles Thump Argies) / Amodu Ruined My Dream - Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by Mariory(m): 7:34pm On Jun 15, 2010
And just for the record, we did not qualify for the world cup because of Amodu. We qualified because of Mozambique who did us an enomous favour.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by sley4life(m): 7:37pm On Jun 15, 2010
never. amodu would have done woooooorse
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by superstar1(m): 8:28pm On Jun 15, 2010
whosoever is comparing dumb amodu with lagerback is also dumb_____no story
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by medjai(m): 8:28pm On Jun 15, 2010
Nigerians have consumed so much undeserved disparaging comments about Amodu that they just believe Amodu is not good without reason. He lost to Ghana? So. Nigeria played some wonderful soccer and were just unlucky not to have won. Is there a coach that has never lost? Russia lost to Slovenia in the world cup qualifiers play off, does that make Hiddink a bad coach? Spain lost to USA in the confed cup, i guess that makes Del Bosque a 'dumb' coach.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by texazzpete(m): 8:59pm On Jun 15, 2010
medjai:

Nigerians have consumed so much undeserved disparaging comments about Amodu that they just believe Amodu is not good without reason. He lost to Ghana? So. Nigeria played some wonderful soccer and were just unlucky not to have won. Is there a coach that has never lost? Russia lost to Slovenia in the world cup qualifiers play off, does that make Hiddink a bad coach? Spain lost to USA in the confed cup, i guess that makes Del Bosque a 'dumb' coach.

Under Amodu, we've been playing truly mediocre soccer, helped only because our opponents were worse or unlucky. We were comprehensively outplayed by Mozambique in the away qualifier, and only fortunate not to lose that match (they missed some sitters). Our qualification was left in the hands of Mozambique - who did us a massive favour there.
It's only in Nigeria where we see people like you insisting that one man's happiness be put above that of millions of his countrymen. Most Nigerians out there had long since lost confidence in Amodu. 'Rewarding' him with the world cup would have been extremely foolish. Just see how France has retrogressed simplybecause the powers that be shied away from sacking Domenech long ago.

If Amodu was in charge against Argentina, he'd have waited until the 75th minute before making a change. And that would be kanu.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by tayoast(m): 9:12pm On Jun 15, 2010
^^ cheesy
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by omar22(m): 9:28pm On Jun 15, 2010
Nigeria played some wonderful soccer

Not under Amodu!!!!

If your dreaming, you better wake up and apologise
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by medjai(m): 10:12pm On Jun 15, 2010
@texazzpete
do you know that no team has defeated Mozambique at their home ground, Estadio Machaba, in 2 years. Even a full strength Ivorian could not notch up a win and what do you mean by 'Mozambique qualified us for the world cup'?Mozambique's coach, Mart Nooij, needed to qualify Mozambique for the nations cup or he would have been sacked. If they had lost he would have been sacked so they actually had a lot to play for
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by texazzpete(m): 10:34pm On Jun 15, 2010
medjai:

@texazzpete
do you know that no team has defeated Mozambique at their home ground, Estadio Machaba, in 2 years. Even a full strength Ivorian could not notch up a win and what do you mean by 'Mozambique qualified us for the world cup'?Mozambique's coach, Mart Nooij, needed to qualify Mozambique for the nations cup or he would have been sacked. If they had lost he would have been sacked so they actually had a lot to play for

So Mozambique has been undefeated for 2 years at home. What the hell has that got to do with them outplaying us with ease?
Fact remains that we needed external help to qualify, and we were 10 minutes away from being knocked out.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by zagazow: 10:52pm On Jun 15, 2010
i asked a simple question and no one has been able to answer or is it because the answer is not favourable? PLS CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT LAGERBACK HAS ACHIEVED AS A COACH? if you don't know go to wikipedia and you'll find that he has achieved nothing. absolutely nothing. so pls don't ever compare him with someone who has won the Challenge Cup, League title, Cup Winners Cup, and is the only coach in Nigerian football history to qualify the super eagles for two world cups.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by kobikwelu(m): 11:04pm On Jun 15, 2010
useless thread angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

comparing amodu and lars angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by landtraza(m): 12:03am On Jun 16, 2010
i think he want to hold ARGENTINA for a goal less draw for the first 45 minutes, and when the south AMERICANS get weak, we will make the changes that will happen to be supper sub, but it dint work for us. as for me i think he did a good job, if AMODU was to be in charge, with the current form of our supper EAGLES we could have quit playing after the first ten minutes grin
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by 5p1naz(m): 12:07am On Jun 16, 2010
wtf is dz? serizly i didnt want to watch d match but afta watchn, my perceptn chngd. . never seen naija play dis gud in a while. .  just a lil problm wif defence. . .lars shud work on dat . . . n speakn on amodu takin d eagles to S.A tsheeew who dey decieve u? tunisia slacked n dat gave us d chance. . .d truth. . eagles were strugglin wit dat ni**a in power. period
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by Nokka: 6:52am On Jun 16, 2010
I feel sorry for the future of Nigeria. A man qualifies Nigeria the second time for the World Cup and all he gets is abuse.

There should be some stats to show good play from the SEs; OPTA, shots on goals, corners, ball possesion, something. Somehow this performance was rated as good despite only one serious on-target attempt on goal and at least four heart-stopping saves from SuperVince. What exactly was good about the Eagles play in that match? Defence? Passing? The colorful Boots? Italy sometimes plays colorless football but they win and their ball posession, distance covered by players or certain key stats prove why they won beside feelings. That Ordiah and Etuhu allegedly had the highest OPTA ratings tell me might be very wrong no matter what I feel
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by HOTandCOLD(m): 7:01am On Jun 16, 2010
THIS IS THE CURSE OF THE BLACKMAN. Remember what happened to Coach Keshi with the Togolese team. After qualifying them for the world cup, he was replaced by a white man and Togo went ahead to embarass not only themselves but africans in general at the last world cup. Coach Amodu qualified them, so he should have been allowed to take them to the world cup. UNTIL WE START TO GIVE OUR PEOPLE THE OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE WITH THE REST OF THE WORLD, WE'LL NEVER GET TO THE PROMISED LAND, NO WONDER ALMOST ALL THE AFRICAN TEAMS HAVE FOREIGN COACHES. Even the USA, that's considered a soccer minnow insists on having a US born coach. I guess we'll never learn.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by supereagle(m): 8:27am On Jun 16, 2010
HOTandCOLD
THIS IS THE CURSE OF THE BLACKMAN. Remember what happened to Coach Keshi with the Togolese team. After qualifying them for the world cup, he was replaced by a white man and Togo went ahead to embarass not only themselves but africans in general at the last world cup. Coach Amodu qualified them, so he should have been allowed to take them to the world cup. UNTIL WE START TO GIVE OUR PEOPLE THE OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE WITH THE REST OF THE WORLD, WE'LL NEVER GET TO THE PROMISED LAND, NO WONDER ALMOST ALL THE AFRICAN TEAMS HAVE FOREIGN COACHES. Even the USA, that's considered a soccer minnow insists on having a US born coach. I guess we'll never learn.

I am happy that we still have some people who will tell the truth here. If Amodu is not competent enough , the man should be left there and beef him up with Keshi and Siasia, we made the mistake in 2002, we are making in 2010, we fail to remember that God does not support injustice. Nigeria will not go far in this world cup. Some people say Amodu lost to Ghana in Angola, they forgot that the same Amodu defeated them twice in 2002.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by 5p1naz(m): 8:48am On Jun 16, 2010
supereagle:

HOTandCOLD
I am happy that we still have some people who will tell the truth here. If Amodu is not competent enough , the man should be left there and beef him up with Keshi and Siasia, we made the mistake in 2002, we are making in 2010, we fail to remember that God does not support injustice. Nigeria will not go far in this world cup. Some people say Amodu lost to Ghana in Angola, they forgot that the same Amodu defeated them twice in 2002.

blahblahblah. . . do u tink dose football fans out thr care abt wat u did in 02? men! dats history. . . beat ghana u21 u no fit. . . all his matches almost caused me my balls. . . y on earth is dis comparison been made? yall berra go wash ur panties or something. . .
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by 5p1naz(m): 8:53am On Jun 16, 2010
jibosqie:

WENGER couldn't hold MESSI for 90Mins(4 GOALS), LAGERBACK held a combination of MESSI, TEVEZ, HIGUAIN and MILITO for 90Mins(No GOALS), That should Answer this question.

5p1naz and everbody here likes this . . . i mean this is for a fact true true true. . .
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by chidichris(m): 9:13am On Jun 16, 2010
there is no way a coach who hides behind the bars will do better than a coach who comes close to his players for discussions.
in games, communications are very very important so out of communication coach will always end up like amodu.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by Matinho: 9:34am On Jun 16, 2010
The comparison makes no sense absolutely,it takes only a relative of Amodu or a lunatic or perhaps both to say Amodu is better than Lagerback. Amodu has failed in tactics and player selection and many a times he is just lucky to escsape with a win cos of the superior arsenal of players he has. Against Argentine, we saw a more technical super eagles,football is not about who starts or who doesnt start,the coach had his tactical reasons,mind you Amodu wouldnt have included Lukman Haruna in the squad and i m 100% sure he would have substituted Taiwo for Echiejele after his injury,we saw Lagerback display some common sense by bringing in Kalu Uche and sendind Sanni Kaita to the left back.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by medjai(m): 9:57am On Jun 16, 2010
@ matinho
keep lying to yourself. The technical SE you saw against Argentina could only manage a decent attempt at goal in a game where the they werent ultra defensive. How is La- gay-back better than Amodu? If you dont provide an answer, i'll have every reason to believe you are completely besotted by a white mans skin
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by Matinho: 10:17am On Jun 16, 2010
My friend ,its disheartening that u speak through the four compass points of your mouth, the Nigerian team that played Argentina were 80% of the Amodu school who were nothing but mediocre against less talented teams than Argentina,i believe that should ring a bell to you cerebrally, same players different coach,when ever did you see a Yakubu or Martins exhibit a stellate performance under Amodu even when they played minnows like Mozambique, Lars Lagerback is no doubt a better coach but intellectually and on paper my friend,and like i said only a lunatic or a member of Amodu's clan will even habour the thought of comparing both.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by Matinho: 10:18am On Jun 16, 2010
both not but
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by omar22(m): 10:25am On Jun 16, 2010

Do you want me to get the Violin? Like I said after Mozambique did us a favour last year, I said sack Amodu now but we let Amodu waste precious time, I now Lagerback has a mountain to climb because he only had 3 months to prepare, I honestly believe that if Lagerback had taken the team to the nations cup, we would even have a better team than the one we currently have…. Back to Coco the clown called Amodu… its either he has someone in the NFA that’s helping him because I don’t know why a man who has failed twice previously would get another bite at the cherry!!! In 2002 he struggled to beat Liberia who were rank in the 100s then couldn’t beat a 10 men Senegalese team…. But the last world cup qualification how we struggled in every game and Amodu just sits there, no motivation, no encouraging, no rallying you would honestly think he has his mind on something else, but poor Daniel Amokachi was urging the players forward. The Egypt game Nigeria were down, chasing the game guess what? He swapped a holding player for another holding player, the guy reading the update on BBC radio laughed out loud when updated the listeners. In the quarter final we laboured against the U21 Ghanaians no Essien, no Appiah, no Muntari, no Pantsil… we still lost am sorry that was it. Someone mentioned the CURSE OF A BLACKMAN… well someone once mentioned that to hide something from a Blackman put it in a book, we see managers updating themselves going on courses but no Africans have that “enough is good enough” mentality… Siasia said he is not interest in the age competition anymore… he wants to move on and better himself… Let Amodu go out and try his luck with Botswana or Mali and see how he plays “pay and play” policies,  They are clubs in the Japanese, Australian leagues or leagues in the middle east……. he should go there and apply for jobs
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by Ranoscky(m): 11:02am On Jun 16, 2010
It's so 4king early to start comparing Lagergack with Amodu. he (lagerback) just took up with the team how many months ago, and u guy's are debating on who's berrer than eachother, na so uns dey so quick to judge?
u guy's should be comparing Amodu with Stephen Keshi and stop making a blind agurment.

but for me i vote Stephen Keshi as best coach in Nigeria!
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by HOTandCOLD(m): 11:17am On Jun 16, 2010
@5p1naz
Who are you really quoting? you can't take a quote from supereagle and put the name HotandCold at the same time. And then you start throwing insult for no reason. Who can reason with a thug/fan like you when you can't even take time to READ FIRST FIRST BEFORE POSTING.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by 5p1naz(m): 11:47am On Jun 16, 2010
HOTandCOLD:

@5p1naz
Who are you really quoting? you can't take a quote from supereagle and put the name HotandCold at the same time. And then you start throwing insult for no reason. Who can reason with a thug/fan like you when you can't even take time to READ FIRST FIRST BEFORE POSTING.

hey mr. lukewarm dat wasnt my fault. . u aint no foe of mine cos u support lars. . .dat shit was intended for superchickens not u. . . dunno ow ur name ended in there. . . peace brov. .
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by omamokta: 12:27pm On Jun 16, 2010
Yes! Infact he would ve done better by increaing the number of dead people that day. A lot of Nigerians would have had their blood pressure risen to the highest level. Dont wish evil for the country irrespective of your personal sentiments.
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by tayoast(m): 1:37pm On Jun 16, 2010
^^ cheesy cheesy cool cool
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by SCYLLA: 1:44pm On Jun 16, 2010
These amodu defenders and their very short memory, they forget Nigeria was thrashed blue black and silly by Egypt, then we managed to win against a nobody like benin republic eh? Abi have we all forgotten how that sessaynong or so nearly killed yobo that day? Infact I don vex I am going to dig up those threads! angry angry angry
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by SCYLLA: 1:54pm On Jun 16, 2010
Nigerian Comment: Doomsday Postponed!
Shuaibu Amodu can breathe a sigh of relief temporarily after his less than impressive ‘Super’ Eagles managed to scrape out a dour single-goal victory over their regional neighbours, the Squirrels of Benin. But can any Nigerian truly assert that they too can breathe freely?

Many football fans would no doubt answer in the negative, as the display of the team was only typical of the level of competence of the man in charge.  With this victory, Amodu and his gang of Chicken-breeders have only succeeded in pushing forward doomsday one game further.

Though there was a slight improvement in the team’s play relative to the first outing against the current champions, the Pharaohs of Egypt, the team still maintained that incoherent and untidy attitude. The lack of technical play in the team was all too evident, and the team was unable to manage one single counter-attack during the entire game. They were static, with no fluidity amongst the various departments; reflective of Amodu himself, who wore a perplexed expression throughout the game.

The Nigerian team’s showing was as interesting as watching paint dry. The side provided little exciting soccer artistry, if they still remember what that is, and it was just the individual determination from certain players that kept the side going.

[size=18pt]Without any form of prejudice, I boldly assert that the better team lost on the day.[/size] The Beninoise team were unfortunate not to have won the game, and a little more experience on their side would have come in handy. Had Stephane Sesegnon and Rasaq Omotoyossi been a tad more clinical in their finishing, the Eagles would have broken through new lows.

Danny Shittu was undoubtedly the best player on the Nigerian side, closely followed by Dickson Etuhu, who was doing the quiet and yet dirty job in the middle of the pack. If these two players had not instilled their individual brilliance on the day, Nigerian fans would have been singing a much different song now.

Much like the first game, Yakubu Aiyegbeni still continued to show his poor form, missing arguably the best chance of the evening for the Nigerians. My grandmother would have tucked away the sitter he threw away early in the first half.

His penalty kick that gave the team the game's goal was also far from impressive, and only the poor judgment from the Beninoise goalkeeper ensured the ball lazily strolled into the back of the net.

We should remain truthful to ourselves at this moment. The Nigerian team is still in tatters, and the short-term remedy lies in a total overhaul of the technical bench

http://www.goal.com/en/news/815/african-nations-cup/2010/01/17/1748461/nigerian-comment-doomsday-postponed

Some peeps say amodu is better that lagerback! JEEZ!
Re: Amodu Would Have Done Better Than Laggerback Against Argentina by medjai(m): 2:59pm On Jun 16, 2010
how is la-gay-back better than Amodu, no one's been able to answer. I saw Super Eagles worst performance ever on Saturday against Argentina where they had only one attempt at goal yet some people that will accept anything as far as it is from a white man are dancing and jubilating. A game where Lagerbacks game plan was to open the gates of our defence and resort to Enyeama's heroics. Some are even giving the time factor as an excuse. Was la-gay-back not aware of how much time we had before the world cup when he signed his contract? What did la-gay-back achieve with a Sweeden team that had Larsson, Ljunberg, Ibrahimovic and the likes? the farthest they went was the 2nd round of the world cup in 2002. very poor. For those that call that shambolic display against Argentina a good performance, check this link
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=264037&cc=3888&ver=global

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking News! Lordtosan, Breaks Nairaland Longest Winning Streak Record. / Ahmed Musa And Ali Nuhu / How To Start Winning Bets On Bet9ja And Other Bookies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.