Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria (1031 Views)

A Message To Those Who Intends To Japa Or Setup A Business!!! / Nigerian Man Shows Off How Much He Has Changed Five Months After Leaving Nigeria / The University Graduate Who Got Stranded In Libya While Traveling To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria by tourphland(m): 11:42am On Jul 16, 2018
As a recently graduated law student from Nigerian school...i need advice both from foreigners and other senior colleagues who studied law in Nigeria and who are in diaspora now too...advice is needed on the challenges of finding law jobs or whether masters can be a positive ladder in landing a law job abroad... Or is it better to just change the discipline outright to go get another degree or so.... Ps advices

1 Like

Re: Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria by tourphland(m): 11:43am On Jul 16, 2018
And please which countries can be very suitable to land a Good pay job
Re: Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria by tourphland(m): 11:43am On Jul 16, 2018
And please which countries can be very suitable to land a Good pay job
Re: Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria by HajimeSaito(m): 11:43am On Jul 16, 2018
tourphland:
As a recently graduated law student from Nigerian school...i need advice both from foreigners and other senior colleagues who studied law in Nigeria and who are in diaspora now too...advice is needed on the challenges of finding law jobs or whether masters can be a positive ladder in landing a law job abroad... Or is it better to just change the discipline outright to go get another degree or so.... Ps advices
Re: Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 11:56am On Jul 16, 2018
Cc: Aribs smiley smiley
Re: Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria by Cyberknight: 12:18pm On Jul 16, 2018
tourphland:

"Abroad" is a wide and loose term, it encompasses about 200 countries and territories. To which one(s) do you refer? You're a lawyer, you should have learnt to use language precisely in school.

However, note that law is a professional course so most of the developed countries in the common law world will require you as a holder of a foreign degree to spend another couple of years in schooling and taking exams (Canada up to 3 years) and in countries where some sort of employment is required as part of the training process (think Canadian articling for instance) it can be difficult to get in. Given that there are no English speaking civil law countries, you will have to add learning a language to successfully pass bar exams to your plans if you end up in a civil law country.

If you want to take a masters, focus on courses such as intellectual property and ADR/Arbitration. Don't waste your time with stuff like oil and gas law as many Nigerians tend to do or the catch-all international law.

Lastly bear in mind that most countries are definitely NOT lacking homegrown lawyers in any way and it's not a profession in demand like the medical professionals and IT chaps are.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

Re: Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria by aribs(m): 5:49pm On Jul 16, 2018
Depends on how much resources are available to you and what you would want to do. I would concur with the views of Cyberknight for the most part. If your resources are able to make you pass exams such as LSAT here in the US so you can go for a three -year program, then by all means sure. However, if this is not so, would suggest you explore other areas if you really want to school abroad. I would not suggest a Masters in Law except you are doing a Masters in Taxation Law or some other high specialty masters. Those might give you an advantage but they are quite tough (not impossible). Here in the US, which is common law like Nigeria, the market for lawyers is not doing so great except you go to certain schools which sort of give you a leg up over competition so that is also one factor you should consider. Ultimately, your resources, ability to adapt based on your country of choice and your personal drive would be the ultimate decider. By the way thanks Pocohantas

1 Like

Re: Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 6:10pm On Jul 16, 2018
aribs:
Depends on how much resources are available to you and what you would want to do. I would concur with the views of Cyberknight for the most part. If your resources are able to make you pass exams such as LSAT here in the US so you can go for a three -year program, then by all means sure. However, if this is not so, would suggest you explore other areas if you really want to school abroad. I would not suggest a Masters in Law except you are doing a Masters in Taxation Law or some other high specialty masters. Those might give you an advantage but they are quite tough (not impossible). Here in the US, which is common law like Nigeria, the market for lawyers is not doing so great except you go to certain schools which sort of give you a leg up over competition so that is also one factor you should consider. Ultimately, your resources, ability to adapt based on your country of choice and your personal drive would be the ultimate decider. By the way thanks Pocohantas

Thanks too cheesy
Re: Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria by tourphland(m): 11:00am On Jul 23, 2018
Cyberknight:

"Abroad" is a wide and loose term, it encompasses about 200 countries and territories. To which one(s) do you refer? You're a lawyer, you should have learnt to use language precisely in school.

However, note that law is a professional course so most of the developed countries in the common law world will require you as a holder of a foreign degree to spend another couple of years in schooling and taking exams (Canada up to 3 years) and in countries where some sort of employment is required as part of the training process (think Canadian articling for instance) it can be difficult to get in. Given that there are no English speaking civil law countries, you will have to add learning a language to successfully pass bar exams to your plans if you end up in a civil law country.

If you want to take a masters, focus on courses such as intellectual property and ADR/Arbitration. Don't waste your time with stuff like oil and gas law as many Nigerians tend to do or the catch-all international law.

Lastly bear in mind that most countries are definitely NOT lacking homegrown lawyers in any way and it's not a profession in demand like the medical professionals and IT chaps are.

Best of luck.
Thanks boss..... I actually was referring to England Marjory or United States.....thanks for the advice, how encouraging is tax law or finance too.... I just want to know what's up for a graduate who doesn't want to stay back in Nigeria, that was why i originally said abroad
Re: Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria by tourphland(m): 11:03am On Jul 23, 2018
aribs:
Bro so what other linking academia area will be cool for a lawyer..... It's just me being curious on being successful anyways, lol ..... It may sound kiddy tho... Just that we're not to exposed to stuffs happening outside there... Thanks
Re: Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria by aribs(m): 11:54am On Jul 23, 2018
tourphland:

Bro so what other linking academia area will be cool for a lawyer..... It's just me being curious on being successful anyways, lol ..... It may sound kiddy tho... Just that we're not to exposed to stuffs happening outside there... Thanks
Going abroad is like a slate being wiped clean. You can put anything on it. You can do anything and be anything. In my own instance, i did the NY bar and also did a masters in economics. So it's up to you and the resources available and your ability

1 Like

Re: Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria by Cyberknight: 5:43pm On Jul 23, 2018
Mr. Aribs up above put it nicely. I diverted and took a masters in Human Resources myself. So its up to you to decide on what to do, but simply bear in mind that it depends on where you eventually find yourself. Unlike what we do in Nigeria, where we tend to go in for higher degrees then seek employment in whatever field, in ilu oyibo they tend to take higher degrees after establishing themselves in a field, so that may be of interest to you.
Re: Pls A Good Suggestion For A Perplexed Law Graduate Who Intends Leaving Nigeria by tourphland(m): 1:54pm On Jul 25, 2018
aribs:

Going abroad is like a slate being wiped clean. You can put anything on it. You can do anything and be anything. In my own instance, i did the NY bar and also did a masters in economics. So it's up to you and the resources available and your ability
Wao.. Thanks very much sir..i think I've a better understanding now

(1) (Reply)

I'm Tired Of Living In Nigeria / Racism In Canada. Featuring Prime Minister Of Canada !!! (video) / Tourism In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.