Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,668 members, 7,801,930 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC (7355 Views)

Degree Mills: 40 Private Varsities Dodge Investigation Bullet / ASUU Opposes TETFUND On Inclusion Of Private Varsities In Projects / "Global Wealth University: Accredited By The Ministry Of Higher Education And Re (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by actiondrilling: 4:58am On Jul 17, 2018
The National Universities Commission has called on private universities in Nigeria to sustain efforts towards achieving the vision to become institutions with globally competitive standards for which they were established.

The Executive Secretary of the NUC, Prof. Abubakar Rasheed, made the call while delivering the 14th convocation lecture of the Benson Idahosa University, Benin City, Edo State.

Rasheed described the establishment of private universities in Nigeria as a reflection of the need to close the gaps created by the challenges facing government-owned tertiary institutions across the country.

He listed some of the problems to include access, resulting in the emergence of degree mills and satellite campuses; preponderance of social vices, instability of academic calendar, indiscipline of staff and infrastructural decay.

The NUC executive secretary, who was represented by the commission’s Director of Accreditation, Dr. Noel Salihu, said, “In some cases, available facilities are not properly maintained and, therefore, left in a state of disrepair.

“Though funds from the government may be insufficient to sustain adequate provision of facilities and infrastructure, some of the universities pay lip services to institutionalising maintenance culture in the system. The private universities are not expected to have similar challenges as some operating in the country have state-of-the-art infrastructure and equipment, making them attractive for learning in contemporary times.”

Rasheed disclosed that no fewer than 75 private universities had been established with Act No. 9 of 1993, which repealed the Private Universities (Abolition and Prohibition) Act of 1984 and allowed individuals, organisations, corporate bodies as well as local governments to establish and run private universities, upon meeting laid down guidelines and, subsequently, obtaining the approval of government.

Speaking on the theme, ‘Higher Education in Nigeria: The Private Universities Perspective’, he noted that with the advantages they had over their government-owned counterparts, the future of university education in Nigeria belongs to private universities.

He, however, advised the managers of such universities to shun acts capable of compromising the quality of programmes run by the institutions.

“Areas where there are loopholes, in relation to quality, must be plugged. Excellence in every facet of the operations of the private universities must be the watchword of the proprietors and the regulatory agencies.

“It might be argued that the provision of university education is a different ball game from those of the primary and secondary levels as it is more capital intensive and the financial profit derivable is usually not immediate,” he added.

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/07/future-of-higher-education-belongs-to.html

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by Alejoc(m): 6:12am On Jul 17, 2018
Low blow to the govt......but dem no dey Shame cheesy grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by OreoPaschal(m): 7:20am On Jul 17, 2018
I believe NUC on this. I regret going to a public school. Their bureaucratic control is slow and the staffs care little or never for your welfare whereas it's their job responsibility. undecided undecided undecided

Every sector should be privatize in this country. We want infrastructure yet have little or no maintenance culture in us. angry angry

12 Likes

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:20am On Jul 17, 2018
.......he noted that with the advantages they had over their government-owned counterparts, the future of university education in Nigeria belongs to private universities.

This is sad, coming from the government.
All the money plundered over the last decades shkuld have gotten us the best university in Africa.
God save Nigeria.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by kittykollinxx(m): 7:20am On Jul 17, 2018
rubbish

1 Like

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by Firefire(m): 7:21am On Jul 17, 2018
Kai Barber!

3 Likes

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by AntiZombie: 7:23am On Jul 17, 2018
true

Govt Universities in Nigeria are just a disgrace

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by bjt(m): 7:23am On Jul 17, 2018
Imagine this coming from NUC. Just the way they succeeded in killing public primary and secondary school.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by Lomprico2: 7:23am On Jul 17, 2018
Criminals! That's why u are killing the govt owned unis
Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by Jokerman(m): 7:23am On Jul 17, 2018
Chai.... Govt... stop showcasing your failures na...
Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by thedondada(m): 7:24am On Jul 17, 2018
Well the girls would be safe for one.

5 Likes

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by Johnrake69: 7:24am On Jul 17, 2018
Capitalism will see to the end of the human race.

4 Likes

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by Nopeace4dwicked: 7:24am On Jul 17, 2018
Paradigm shift. Time is coming wen many people will realise d lie in d statement "education is d key 2success'

1 Like

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by Lomprico2: 7:24am On Jul 17, 2018
post=69450553:
This is sad, coming from the government.

And very wicked too.

2 Likes

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by Phoenix212(m): 7:24am On Jul 17, 2018
Fact
Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by Thickcok01: 7:25am On Jul 17, 2018
Na die we dey for country oooo, see govt the yam oparta ooooo
Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by bonechamberlain(m): 7:28am On Jul 17, 2018
Nigeria is doomed, if this is coming out from a government agency. how many can afford privates universities. my God help us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by flyca: 7:28am On Jul 17, 2018
Just like our government Primary and Secondary schools are all DEAD! In the next 10 years government universities will all be DEAD too.

Sai Buhari, forever! tongue

On another news: Private schools in Rwanda are closing up due to low patronage kiss

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by strangest(m): 7:31am On Jul 17, 2018
Like national open university?
Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by bionixs: 7:32am On Jul 17, 2018
kittykollinxx:
rubbish
someone must be angry.
Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by Jethrolite(m): 7:36am On Jul 17, 2018
Brilliant, education is not cheap.
Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 17, 2018
This is a so shameful statement
It should be made public either even if the education system is in an apathy state really...

They should endeavor to save the image of the nation by taking caution of their statement in public as a government officers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by Mikeross62: 7:40am On Jul 17, 2018
trash
Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by LazyNairalander(m): 7:43am On Jul 17, 2018
What a shame! Just imagine what a government commission is saying?

check my SIGNATURE
Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by slickbak(m): 7:49am On Jul 17, 2018
Lol. Shame no fit keee black man
Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by Dacronym(m): 7:53am On Jul 17, 2018
True
Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by cooljude(m): 8:00am On Jul 17, 2018
True. Our public Universities are filled with a lot of sadist and unprofessional staffs. They don't know their job description, they've got that usual public servant mentality to work.

I went through hell looking for missing scripts and the annoying thing about my ordeal was they didn't show an atom of care neither did they even view my problem as a fault from their own end. They treated me as a plague to be avoided. It destroyed my CGPA instead of graduating with a 2.1, I left with a CGPA of 3.46.

If I had gone to a private school, I am sure of getting a 2.1 and I would have been able to apply for all the numerous scholarship being advertised. They don't know that they are destroying the competitive advantage of their own students. Also, they are destroying the reputation of their school.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by abumeinben(m): 8:03am On Jul 17, 2018
Sad!

The annoying act is that of seeing a lecture bad-bellehing a student, small enough to be his/her child. Are they not supposed to make students great?

1 Like

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by kuntash: 8:05am On Jul 17, 2018
OreoPaschal:
I believe NUC on this. I regret going to a public school. Their bureaucratic control is slow and the staffs care little or never for your welfare whereas it's their job responsibility. undecided undecided undecided

Every sector should be privatize in this country. We want infrastructure yet have little or no maintenance culture in us. angry angry

it could be typo for you though ... its STAFF & not STAFFS

which public varsity you go sir?

2 Likes

Re: Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC by bravehost4u(m): 8:05am On Jul 17, 2018
actiondrilling:

Rasheed disclosed that no fewer than 75 private universities had been established with Act No. 9 of 1993, which repealed the Private Universities (Abolition and Prohibition) Act of 1984 and allowed individuals, organisations, corporate bodies as well as local governments to establish and run private universities, upon meeting laid down guidelines and, subsequently, obtaining the approval of government.

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/07/future-of-higher-education-belongs-to.html

I guess we know who enacted the Private University (Abolition and Prohibition) Act of 1984

bravehost4u:

History never forgets

(1) (2) (Reply)

15 Things You've Always Wanted To Know About Lesbians. / Osun State University Announces 2017/2018 Post-UTME Screening / Jamb 2016 Sale Of Form And Exam Date Disclosed...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.