Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt (7248 Views)

Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? / Lagos Is Sinking? / Gov Amaechi Please Save Rsust. The Ship Is Sinking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by felele(m): 11:04pm On Jun 13, 2010
Fashola has been touting the amount of money his government has been raising monthly from taxes since he assumed office. He recently boasted that they now raise about N14b IGR per month. This is commendable. However, for the last three years his government has also announced budgets in excess of N400b per annum.

If one adds the Federal Allocation accruable to the state at around N4b per month, that adds up to about N48b federal allocation plus around N168b IGR to give us a figure of about N216b per annum approximately. This means we've had a budget deficit of over N180b per annum, year on year, over the last 3 years.

My question is, how is that deficit being financed. I think we'll find the answer in a number of syndicated loans, offshore and onshore, as well as dubious bond issues on the money markets.

In my estimation, Lagos State is probably indebted right now to the tune of about N1 trillion, due largely to the massive debt carried over from the Tinubu regime, yet, Eko O ni Baje! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Kobojunkie: 11:08pm On Jun 13, 2010
@Poster, even before I choose to do my research, I will say this. To get to where we need to be, there is NO AVOIDING debt of some kind. That being said, I will also say that I wish all that debt were spent FIRST on ensuring majority of the basics are available, not just for the rich but also for the poor in the state.

Now, I will go back and do my research and then come back to post some more . . . cheesy
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by seanet02: 11:19pm On Jun 13, 2010
Stop talking jargons here, this forum is not meant for rogues like you, if you cant reason with your sense, go somewhere else, Fashola is the best performing governor, even if he takes loans to financed the state, he is using the money judiciously, he is not like your forefathers that wasted billions without doing anything
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Beaf: 11:26pm On Jun 13, 2010
Firstly, I don't believe the debt figures given for Lagos. Secondly, money makes money. There is no successful business without some degree of risk and debt.
Fashola has a lot of foresight and should be left to modernise Lagos.
Why can't people be satisfied? Who would you prefer as governor, Akala or Yerima? Be ecstatic with what you've got.

Fashola's only mistake has been employing that toad called babapupa. grin
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Osama10(m): 11:33pm On Jun 13, 2010
Fashola has done well, I think he is the most performing govenor, am from delta state and see the big gap.
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by felele(m): 11:51pm On Jun 13, 2010
It would not be a problem if there were not such a massive amount of over-invoicing going on. In fact, the Fashola regime is defined by it. The LASAA issue is the tip of the iceberg. The grossly inflated flower planting contracts, the Deux Projects contracts at the LASUTH complex, which landed Tunji Olowolafe in EFCC's clutches for about a week, are just on the surface. Scratch a little deeper, and you will unearth a can of worms.
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by 4Play(m): 12:09am On Jun 14, 2010
It's something to worry about. However, the debt is owed to mainly domestic creditors and I would presume the Federal Govt would step in when, inevitably, Lagos starts struggling to service its debt.

Financial debt, which increased by about NGN70bn in 2008-09, amounted to NGN124bn at end 2009, if netted from about NGN12bn of provisions into the debt reserve fund, and remains likely to rise to NGN350bn by 2012, eventually surging close to 100% of the state's annual operating revenue. The debt coverage ratio could therefore worsen to about three years of the current balance over the medium term, from an average one year in 2005-2009, while the debt service coverage ratio should remain around 2x the operating surplus.

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=201003311130dowjonesdjonline000538&title=press-releasefitch-affirms-nigerias-lagos-state-at-bb-/aa-nga#ixzz0qmEpzXih

A more incisive analysis here:
The Elephant in the Room – Lagos State’s Exploding Debt

The worrisome part of this development phase of Lagos State is the debt the state is incurring via bonds.  This is a potential source of problems in the future.

Specifically, there have been two large debt tranches taken by Governors Bola Tinubu and Babatunde Fashola.  The first 5-year bond was for ₦50 billion and was taken in 2008.  The most recent bond issue was another ₦50 billion, completed in April 2010.

This effectively makes Lagos one of the most indebted states in the country, with combined bond issues of ₦100 billion.  The plan for Lagos calls for another ₦175 billion to be borrowed, to finance all the various projects proposed for the city.
Using our rough calculations, this means that every month, the Lagos state government has to pay bondholders ₦2.3 billion, given that the interest rates on these bond issues is about 13%.  Half of that will be paid for the next 5 years, while the other half has three years to go. ₦26 billion a year is a large amount.

To put this in context, the proposed budget for Lagos State this year is ₦429 billion, so one might insist that within the total budget, ₦26 billion is not a great deal to worry about.

This would be a fallacy. Although Fashola presented an Appropriation Bill of N429.596 billion for the 2010 fiscal year to the state House of Assembly.

The key here is that the Fashola administration expects a total of ₦307 billion in the 2010 fiscal year. Of the total budget value, it is expected that ₦204 billion will be raked in through internally generated revenue (IGR); N78 billion from the Federal Allocation; dedicated revenue estimated at ₦20 billion while the extra-ordinary revenue stands at ₦5 billion.

This leaves a budget shortfall of close to ₦123 billion for the fiscal year. During his presentation, Fashola did not explain how this difference would be made up.

This leads to this paper’s warning on borrowing.  Although the Governor has indicated ₦17 billion will be spent on debt service this year, next year, it will be significantly higher as the new bond kicks in.  If new monies are borrowed i.e., new bonds issued, the number will be higher still.

One suspects that the Governor may see the way to make up the budget as being to issue yet new bonds, but this would only postpone the evil day.  The stark reality is that the Lagos State budget faces serious serious issues.  The city is in deep trouble fiscally and is using unsustainable tactics to avert a financial reckoning.

The Lagos State government will be tempted to issue new bonds in the near-term both to make up the shortfall and to continue its future ‘mega city’ plans.  This is a classic debt trap that will only worsen the longer a real solution is put off.

The only reasonable solution is to reduce State government spending to sustainable levels.  However, we are sure this politically difficult due to the large number of beneficiaries from the spending spree.

However, if Lagos State’s true fiscal crisis is not handled by the current administration, any prospect of a financial soft landing for the State will be pushed farther and farther away.

http://www.nigerianinquirer.com/2010/05/30/lagos-states-fiscal-crisis-and-fasholas-big-bonds-gamble/

At the end of the day, it's Fashola's successor who will inherit the problem. Nigerians today still blame IBB and Abacha for a debt overhang, and the attendant economic crises, that actually accrued during the MM/OBJ and Shagari eras.
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Kobojunkie: 12:11am On Jun 14, 2010
seanet02:

@felele you are an enemy of progress. So you this poverty development party men are still in nairaland, stop being an antagonist. You are a complete nuisanse. Folks like you should be in zoo not on nairaland, so the internet has become so popular that idiots and morons like you can be using it to fight the progressives, how did you even land on nairaland, i hate silly set of people like you. animal

Could you please shut up already if you have nothing meaningful to contribute?

Stop posting like some out of control BLOCKHEAD . . . it is also ok to not post anything at all if you have nothing SERIOUS to offer!
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Kobojunkie: 12:18am On Jun 14, 2010
seanet02:

@kobojunkie i wont start any war here with enemies of progress like you, you are just like that slowpoke. Can you even manage a ward not to talk of a state. Stop being a conservative. We are progressive in YORUBALAND not problematic folks like you. ode buruku

That actually applies to you and yours, has nothing to do with me at all  . . . NEXT!
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by PapaBrowne(m): 1:08am On Jun 14, 2010
There is a strong correlation  between indebtedness and development. The more developed a country, the greater its debt. That should tell us that debt is good as long as it is used judiciously. From the look of things, Fashola is making  maximum use of whatever debt he is obtaining.

Below is a list of the top ten most indebted countries in the world. If you notice, the greater the economy, the larger the debt.
So the fact that Lagos is incurring debt and utilizing such for infrastructural development is definitely a good thang!!

Look at Luxembourg- With a Population 500,000 residents, they have a debt hangover of almost 2 Trillion dollars. And guess what: They are the richest country in the world.
Abeg, I will rather accumulate as much debt as possible and have the best in infrastructure, than be debt free and remain a pauper with decrepit slums like Oshodi.

Figures are in Trillions USD.

Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by puskin: 2:02am On Jun 14, 2010
Since debt is a good thing. . . .Fashola pls borrow more money and use it wisely and judiciously as uv always done.
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Nobody: 2:23am On Jun 14, 2010
poster, I like your ID tho.

Back to topic. . . . na 2 day?
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by nigerfine: 2:27am On Jun 14, 2010
Thank you papabrowne, I am IBO but FASHOLA CARRY GO TO PRESIDENCY,
Borrow and make us happy, The last time i was at Oshodi i did not know it was the place i left about 4years ago.
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Nobody: 2:27am On Jun 14, 2010
seanet02:
u daft piglet, y not stop staining this thread with ur stinky smellin saliva. I SEE NO REASON Y DUMB SKULLS LIKE U STILL EXIST IN N/L. U LACK COMMON SENsE.
@felele you are an enemy of progress. So you this poverty development party men are still in nairaland, stop being an antagonist. You are a complete nuisanse. Folks like you should be in zoo not on nairaland, so the internet has become so popular that idiots and morons like you can be using it to fight the progressives, how did you even land on nairaland, i hate silly set of people like you. animal
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Nobody: 2:28am On Jun 14, 2010
seanet02:
u daft piglet, y not stop staining this thread with ur stinky smellin saliva. I SEE NO REASON Y DUMB SKULLS LIKE U STILL EXIST IN N/L. U LACK COMMON SENsE.
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Nobody: 2:29am On Jun 14, 2010
seanet02:
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Nobody: 2:29am On Jun 14, 2010
seanet02:
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by mbulela: 2:31am On Jun 14, 2010
papabrowne, i am with you.
As long as the debt are not squandered or used for white elephant projects like Tinapa, the projects will service the debt.
It is unintelligent politicizing the use of debt for developmental projects.

I wonder how exchanging e-insults make any look stronger or intelligent?
If you can't make your point without insulting others, you are a weakling of the highest order.
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Nobody: 2:33am On Jun 14, 2010
seanet02:
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by paddylo1(m): 2:37am On Jun 14, 2010
@Poster, even before I choose to do my research, I will say this. To get to where we need to be, there is NO AVOIDING debt of some kind. That being said, I will also say that I wish all that debt were spent FIRST on ensuring majority of the basics are available, not just for the rich but also for the poor in the state.

Now, I will go back and do my research and then come back to post some more . . .
@Kobojunkie. .

u do not borrow money or raise bonds to spend on recurrent,non capital expenditure

u raise bonds to invest in infrastructure that will payback the loan 10/15yrs from now,like roads,bridges,ports,power stations and so on. . .

To keep it simple. .its like borrowing money to spend on food. .if u do that u eat the food and remain poor when it comes time to pay back

But if u borrow to spend on building a factory or real estate to rent out
then u have an appreciating asset to make u money over the lifetime of the loan and after
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by paddylo1(m): 2:46am On Jun 14, 2010
This means we've had a budget deficit of over N180b per annum, year on year, over the last 3 years.

My question is, how is that deficit being financed. I think we'll find the answer in a number of syndicated loans, offshore and onshore, as well as dubious bond issues on the money markets.

In my estimation, Lagos State is probably indebted right now to the tune of about N1 trillion, due largely to the massive debt carried over from the Tinubu regime, yet, Eko O ni Baje!

well your estimation is wrong. . .Total outstanding debt today is in the region of N120bln. . .

There was a N275billion bond authorized,but only N100bln or thearabouts has been tapped

Pls go and investigate the debt profile of cities like Johannesburg,Los Angeles,Jakarta,New York and so on. .see it is likely to be much higher
They dont build good roads,bridges and have services like trash removal for free u know. . .

Lagos state Debt to GDP is actually very low. . GDP is estimated at $30bln. .while outstanding debts is about $1billion
Debt burden only becomes unsustainable when Debt to GDP exceeds 50%

Also dont forget the tenure. . If its longer tenure like 5yrs - 10yrs. . then its no big deal
as opposed to short term funds in 1 - 2yrs maturity

Like some others have mentioned here u borrow money to get rich
by investing in yourself. . .If not u wallow in poverty,and mediocrity

The choice is yours
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by OAM4J: 3:52am On Jun 14, 2010
paddy_lo:

well your estimation is wrong. . .Total outstanding debt today is in the region of N120bln. . .

There was a N275billion bond authorized,but only N100bln or thearabouts has been tapped

Pls go and investigate the debt profile of cities like Johannesburg,Los Angeles,Jakarta,New York and so on. .see it is likely to be much higher
They dont build good roads,bridges and have services like trash removal for free u know. . .

Lagos state Debt to GDP is actually very low. . GDP is estimated at $30bln. .while outstanding debts is about $1billion
Debt burden only becomes unsustainable when Debt to GDP exceeds 50%

Also dont forget the tenure. . If its longer tenure like 5yrs - 10yrs. . then its no big deal
as opposed to short term funds in 1 - 2yrs maturity

Like some others have mentioned here u borrow money to get rich
by investing in yourself. . .If not u wallow in poverty,and mediocrity

The choice is yours

Thank you. Needless to say more.

I think we can afford to close this thread now. . . Next?

Eko o ni baje
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Nobody: 3:53am On Jun 14, 2010
Eko to ti baje tan grin
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by seanet02: 4:07am On Jun 14, 2010
@henry46 I know Nigerias problem is not only the elite and the ruling class, but also dead thinking faculties like you and your co-antagonists who can not just use their reasoning arsenal (no matter how small it is)for the betterment of the people and the nation. You are just one of the people who will sell their hometown for a thousand bucks even when their father is still alive. You are a complete disgrace to your family, that is if your family is not like the ubas of anambra, your thinking well has gone empty. You just cant use your small senses.
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by OAM4J: 4:13am On Jun 14, 2010
FL Gators:

Eko to ti baje tan grin

Ti Eko ba ti baje tan, ki lo fe so nipa Ekiti, pelu gbogbo iranu ti Oni nse nbe?

Make you no let me talk o. lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by seanet02: 4:17am On Jun 14, 2010
@henry46 if proper investigation is done on people like you, may be you are of the popular touts that FASHOLA disgrace from oshodi, if not why could you be venting your anger on me, you dont have any senses because you have sold your reasoning portion to the poverty development party. There is nothing idiots like you can do stop FASHOLA, he is better than silly sights like you who wait for the fall of great men. A very big question, did you ever reason in your frustrated and unbeneficial life?
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by rikkyjen(m): 4:22am On Jun 14, 2010
13% on Lagos Bonds. . .   shocked shocked shocked shocked Why didn't my people on the ground tell me  this

While the US treasury bonds i got myself into is paying 3- 4 %, Las Gidi dey pay triple. . .Yes, i know dollars strong and weigh pass naira, but still i need to investigate this LASG bond and give Fashola more money to indebt Lagos and build more infrastructures so that Eko o ni baje!!!  grin grin grin
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by seanet02: 4:30am On Jun 14, 2010
@flgators,@henry46 and @poster. You all are morons, hired nairalanders hired by conservatives to destroy LAGOS, your mothers made a very big mistake, you should all have been washed away cos you are all moral and problematic burdens for us in Nigeria. You will all go to hell for being antiFASHOLA.
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by OAM4J: 4:37am On Jun 14, 2010
seanet02:

@flgators,@henry46 and @poster. You all are morons, hired nairalanders hired by conservatives to destroy LAGOS, your mothers made a very big mistake, you should all have been washed away cos you are all moral and problematic burdens for us in Nigeria. You will all go to hell for being antiFASHOLA.

free flgators, she was only kidding. (note her use of smiley)
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Nobody: 4:37am On Jun 14, 2010
OAM4J:

Were ke? Otito koro abi? O da, mo ti dake o  lipsrsealed

Mi o binu mo. Eko baje ti  grin

BTW, Se o pelu awon to njo fun Ekiti ninu profile pic e ni? But mi o ri eleyi ti aya e kun ninu won now  lipsrsealed

ah ahn. o ni wa dake, sugbon o tun n soro ni?

La oju re daada. Emi ni mo aso awosodo obirin ninu aworan yen. tongue
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by Nobody: 4:42am On Jun 14, 2010
OAM4J:

free flgators, she was only kidding. (note her use of smiley)
Thanks, but you really shouldnt have entertain him.

I prefer to ignore dimwits that deems it fit to insult my mother that has nothing to do with my posts. Were ni won n pe alakori yen.
Re: Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt by OAM4J: 4:47am On Jun 14, 2010
FL Gators:

ah ahn. o ni wa dake, sugbon o tun n soro ni?

La oju re daada. Emi ni mo aso awosodo obirin ninu aworan yen. tongue

Mo ti la oju mi. . . hen hen, mo ri aworan eni kan ti aya e kun die, sugbon mi o ri oju e.

Ti o ko ba mind, se o le je ki nri aworan e to current, mo ti gbo iroyin pupo ni pa Oshodi oke e grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Before I Join Nigeria Politics As A Lady: Please Advice / NSCDC Discover Bomb Making Factories In Borno / Photographer Mistakenly Captures “one In A Million” Photograph Doesn’t Realize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.