Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA (39087 Views)

Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by oluwaahmed: 3:36pm On Jul 18, 2018
Juliusmalema:

that's what am saying which state are u from so we can use the state as case study to prove our points.....my dear Oluwaahmed.

OK I am from IMO, bayelsa, Lagos, nassarawa, and Katsina. Now if u cannot contribute to knowledge, fûck off my mention. Thanks
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by MrI2015(m): 3:42pm On Jul 18, 2018
Thank God, I hate this nonsense, I have been campaigning for this change of mindset amongst people in Ignoland.Same should go round in all the towns in Nigeria.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 18, 2018
oluwaahmed:

OK I am from IMO, bayelsa, Lagos, nassarawa, and Katsina. Now if u cannot contribute to knowledge, fûck off my mention. Thanks

why attacking me....is it hard for u to say am igbo or am not.....

For u to know such history is it not good to share knowledge together.......why feel insecure that u start to attack me.....smh...
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by okwabayi(m): 3:45pm On Jul 18, 2018
This is good news. Culture changes, sometimes for the better or worse. Sofar it keeps the people together and in peace is the main thing.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by chibuzorAbia: 3:48pm On Jul 18, 2018
maestroferddi:
You appear to have a sub-par IQ or low intelligence.

I have little time for distractions.

Disproof my assertion Mr high IQ. Should have given that high IQ to Ojukwu in 1966.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by longview007: 3:48pm On Jul 18, 2018
Even the so called OSU will eventually go to town and � plenty cash to an extent that non OSU people will be in his pay role.

Cow nwe no get tail, god de help am chase aware flies.

For my village we no get OSU, but I hate such wicked castigation.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 18, 2018
MiriamMoney:

Aturu! We don't know if you have a life not to talk of a way! Sniper is not so expensive, Efulefu!
who's this awa? I guess that's why you are not married yet, because you're an osu
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by maximumwellness: 4:00pm On Jul 18, 2018
Pls, am an igbo boy and i don't even know much about this osu of a thing....can someone please share more light on it .thanks
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by mystiquemaestro(m): 4:03pm On Jul 18, 2018
Your sense of history is really warped and messed up.

ikennaf1:
One of the disadvantages of Christianity at the time. The people regarded as osu are just people who devoted themselves and family and future families to the worship of a fetish deity.... mostly due to safety reasons or hunger.

Due to influx of Christianity at the time, those people were therefore declared outcasts. They and their descendants. It's all shades of wrong. Whatever one does in a bid to protect himself, he should not be judged for it. During the civil war, a whole community dedicated themselves to a deity when their community fell to Nigerian soldiers. They shouldn't be judged for it, but they are. Religion is not hypocritical but it turns on the hypocrisy in us.

Christianity didn't declare them as outcasts... it was the hypocrisy in humans that did.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by dbynonetwork: 4:06pm On Jul 18, 2018
Princeofnigeria:
Ibo people and their archaic culture.

I detest those people way of life

Then go n DIE...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by NGHustlefx: 4:08pm On Jul 18, 2018
Princeofnigeria:

go hang

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 18, 2018
maximumwellness:
Pls, am an igbo boy and i don't even know much about this osu of a thing....can someone please share more light on it .thanks

I born and die in lagos spotted.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by LZAA: 4:11pm On Jul 18, 2018
chibuzorAbia:

Come and hear oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Cc Immhotep lzaa lzaa b'stds lzaa b'stds lzaa

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by MNDY(m): 4:11pm On Jul 18, 2018
consultancy:
true that it has been abolished in most part of igboland. what most peeps do not know is that it is still deeply rooted because no one from such towns agree to inter marry with them even after the abolishment. an example is from my town, when the then Igwe abolished the osu cast system, his subjects accepted it whole heartedly and urged him to show a good example for others to follow by marrying a girl from one of the numerous osu families, till date, that igwe never did it. so on the surface level it's been abolished, but nobody still wants to marry them, except the person is coming from another town or state. to me, i say it's still very much alive

I think for people to find it hard to discard it, the spiritual effects still holds ground much, especially from cases they are observing around them.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by nellyelitz(m): 4:15pm On Jul 18, 2018
KillaBeauty:
What a joke! It might be abolished but trust Igbo people to still subconsciously practice it. The Indians abolished their own caste system and infact made it illegal many years ago but till today, people are still treated according to the caste system they belong to. Let a “free born” first try and get married to a person that is an osu, you’d see how the free born’s whole family will kick against it. Abolished my yansh grin
PLS IN A CLEAR SIMPLE TERM, WHAT IS THE SYSTEM ABOUT?
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by maestroferddi: 4:19pm On Jul 18, 2018
chibuzorAbia:

Disproof my assertion Mr high IQ. Should have given that high IQ to Ojukwu in 1966.
Proof No.1: It is only nitwits and malcontents that use misleading usernames to arrived at mischievous ends.

Do you need more?
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 18, 2018
nnamdijonathan:

This is a partly untrue story. OSU people are those who are regarded as slaves to one deity or the other, they are chosen by the deity and not the other way round. Osu people are discriminated against beca.use of the bond they have with a deity. They were usually used as sacrifices to the deity and were considered as the deity's properties. OSU system started way before the civil war and even before Christianity came to igboland

The ones that were given to the deities were ohus and not osu. Those were the days of slavery... when a slave owner used his slave as sacrifice of some sort. Yes osu system started before the civil war and Christianity, a system whereby someone who devoted himself to a deity that isn't of the community. As Christianity came, it was then widened to cover all deities.

This sort of popularised that system and increased the number of people considered as osu. Hence the reason I called out Christianity.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Horus(m): 4:35pm On Jul 18, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZiNWcMI4mc

The Osu Caste Systems Were Summarily And Permanently Abolished In Irete
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by QuietHammer(m): 4:38pm On Jul 18, 2018
ikennaf1:
One of the disadvantages of Christianity at the time. The people regarded as osu are just people who devoted themselves and family and future families to the worship of a fetish deity.... mostly due to safety reasons or hunger.

Due to influx of Christianity at the time, those people were therefore declared outcasts. They and their descendants. It's all shades of wrong. Whatever one does in a bid to protect himself, he should not be judged for it. During the civil war, a whole community dedicated themselves to a deity when their community fell to Nigerian soldiers. They shouldn't be judged for it, but they are. Religion is not hypocritical but it turns on the hypocrisy in us.

Christianity didn't declare them as outcasts... it was the hypocrisy in humans that did.

As a matter of fact, most Nigerian Christians will want to distance themselves from people whose families are said to have dedicated themselves to one deity or the other.
I thought Osu are descendants of slaves
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Amumaigwe: 4:41pm On Jul 18, 2018
Ejimagift:
People that are segregating themselves with Osu cast system yet they want Biafra. God knows biafra will not survive 6 months before they fight another civil war. We don't need such unstable country near our borders

Why bother yourself?
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Amumaigwe: 4:42pm On Jul 18, 2018
Princeofnigeria:

Really? We didn't notice.

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Fianze93(m): 4:44pm On Jul 18, 2018
adecz:

Such things only matter to the
indigenes & has no bearing whatsoever
on outsiders.

"freeborn" lgbo will not even eat in the home
of socalled osu.

Your last paragraph is a fat lie... I'm Igbo and I dine and sleep in the house of a lot of Ọsụ friends that I have... And my family knows about it.

In all sincerity, the only thing I have been 'indirectly' warned against is marriage to an Osu. The warning wasn't from my father... But from my paternal grandmother, who is a core Igbo traditional religion member. And I believe most non osu's have been warned directly or indirectly against intermarriage...

As for my maternal home, being good Christians with an Anglican Archdeacon(Priest) as the oldest man and several other priest as members of the extended family... They give no f*ck about the caste system... There are Atleast one of my mothers 2nd cousin who is married to an Osu.

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Amumaigwe: 4:46pm On Jul 18, 2018
obataokenwa:
Life is spiritual and if one think that by announcement, a 500years of idol worship can just be abolished like that is joking. OSU was created in the realm of the spirit and it can also be totally abolished by the realm of the spirit which must have a superior power. Since the Igbo's believe so much on Christianity, OSU can only be abolished if the whole people concerned will come together and engage Jesus which they believe in and only Him will direct and instruct them on how to destroy such curses.
Announcement doesn't stop the curses from being in force. A family can also engage Jesus to separate themselves and not by all this so called "as soon as u give ur life to Jesus, every curse in ur life is cancelled" preachings.

Churches dont even have revelations yet on how to abolish this things and that's why villages are trying to help themselves by announcements.

My opinion though

Osu caste system is anything but spiritual. If it is, then racism is also spiritual.

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 18, 2018
chibuzorAbia:

Come and hear oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
a
Ndi Igbo Amaka.

Cc lzaa onyeoga pointzerom madridguy buhariguy sarrki shalomc iceberg itsmeaboki yarimo greenback Alariiwo

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 18, 2018
Princeofnigeria:

But you desire an Igbo wife sha ; D

Cc lzaa onyeoga pointzerom madridguy buhariguy sarrki shalomc iceberg itsmeaboki yarimo greenback Alariiwo

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by adecz: 4:51pm On Jul 18, 2018
ikennaf1:

Lol you're funny. I'm sure that in my interactions with people, I've eaten from osus and they have also eaten from me. I don't get why people like you carry these things for head. majority of Igbos have left this behind.

Na una sabi.

Me i no be igbo & i feel such things
belong to the dark past & should have been
outlawed centuries back.

Oyibo people could have easily dealt with
it, the way they handled the killing of twin births.

Meanwhile, i can detect Osu ppl (or ex Osu) 'liking'
your post.

I hope you are not one of them.. lipsrsealed
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by chibuzorAbia: 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2018
immhotep:

Ndi Igbo Amaka.

Osu Amaka!
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by uwa244(m): 4:57pm On Jul 18, 2018
Other communities in the entire southeast should emulate this move.. A welcome development.

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by yemmight(m): 4:58pm On Jul 18, 2018
John237:
OSU na half-cast (slave)

OK. Congrat then.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 18, 2018
chibuzorAbia:

Osu Amaka!
Osu are also Igbo.
Igbo amaka.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by yemmight(m): 5:00pm On Jul 18, 2018
oluwaahmed:

The osu system is a very old one but I will try to explain the various legends associated with it bcoz u sought for knowledge rather than tribal bigotry. In those days there were some people that pledge their life and ancestry to the service of a deity (like d levites of Israel). These people were protected from bodily harm and married themselves. Also during the slave trade, many heads of families thought it was wise to become osu bcoz u dare not hurt an osu let alone sell a property of the gods. Even during the civil war osu were not forcefully conscripted bcoz once again they belong to d gods. Another older legend has it that when the igbos arrived present day igbo land many centuries ago, their priest king ERI was going about cleansing the land occupied by the igbo, however some particular igbos did not want him cleansing their land and so they were naturally ostracized bcoz of their uncleanliness. Any which ways the Osus were ostracized bcoz of psychological factors. If u go to marry a girl and u hear that her family linage was pledged to serve ogun forever wouldn't you pause?

Whao! Whao!. Thanks for this info. This is really called for more than celebration. Congrat people.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Niyi74(m): 5:01pm On Jul 18, 2018
Africans and primitive life. Osu ko, fufu ni. grin My advice to all beautiful igbo girls being discriminated against as 'osu': look for a Yoruba guy to marry and live happily ever after. I'm Yoruba and available so don't hesitate to PM me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? / Ooni Of Ife, His Wife And High Chiefs Worship At A Church In Canada. Photos / Nigerian Doll Created By Taofik Okoya Now Outselling White Dolls Barbie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.