Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN (1191 Views)

NCC Orders Telcos To Effect Twitter Ban / Buhari To Effect Nigerian Governors’ Lockdown Decision Monday - Daily Post / FG To Disburse $322m Abacha Loot To Nigerians - Daily Trust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by Psoulsport(m): 12:50pm On Jul 19, 2018
The Nigerian government is planning to distribute the next batch of loot from Swiss Authorities recovered from former military Head of State, Gen. Sani Abacha.

The presidency wants to share the recovered $321 million to vulnerable families in the country and according to the BBC, around 300,000 households are expected to get $14 (₦5,000) from July 2018.

Irrespective of the seeming good intention of the government, considering that this will be a nationwide exercise, how efficient are the modalities in place to achieve the said goal?

Only 40% of Nigerian adults are banked, this means there’s a high possibility these targeted households are out of the financial system. How then will they be reached?

In a tweet, President Muhammadu Buhari’s Special Assistant on Digital/New Media, Tolu Ogunlesi revealed that the Swiss government insisted on Nigeria adhering to certain conditions before the release of the funds, one of which is that the money would be spent on the Cash Transfer to vulnerable households.

Another condition to release the funds is that World Bank will oversee the disbursement.

At $14 monthly for 300,000 households which equals $4.2 million, the total fund will last 76 months, not considering the cost that may be associated with the distribution.

The Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo affirmed that beneficiaries of the monthly payment would be determined from a register that’s being developed.

Osinbajo who was represented at the launching of the Monitoring of Recovered Assets through Transparency and Accountability project by the president’s Special Adviser on Social Protection, Mrs Maryam Uwais revealed that the register would have captured the entire country by year-end.

The register is expected to have beneficiaries’ telephone number and pictures captured which only few devices have nice camera quality e.g Tecno, etc. (see picture for camera quality.)

The distribution is expected to be powered by a network of agents as Uwais said commercial banks backed down from the project on the basis that biometric registration is expensive.

Also, how feasible will this new biometric exercise be?The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) would have been of great impact in identifying the target populace but it’s yet to deliver on its mission for a sustainable world-class identity management solution.

The biometric registration exercise by NIMC has been on for a couple of years and is yet to come up with a complete database of Nigerians. Will this be different on the notion that the target audience is just 300,000 as against the total adult population that NIMC is targeting?

According to The Guardian, more than ₦45 billion ($12 million) was spent on the Bank Verification Number (BVN) registration exercise. Irrespective of the number of the targeted populace, it would probably require similar infrastructure since it’s also a nationwide exercise.

From a positive perspective, this also means the 774 local governments in Nigeria can serve as collection points in as much as the cost of distribution would not be higher than the monthly stipend for targeted households.

Basic mobile transactions are another option to consider. (As seen in pic 2)

There are currently players in the financial industry that allow fund transfer to a telephone mobile which can be cashed from an agent or via the Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) using cardless withdrawal features.

Some quarters have been calling on the federal government to commit the funds to developmental projects that would have an impact on the general public. With questions around the sustainability and the best disbursement methods, a developmental project might just be the best option.

In Q2 2018, Nigerian startups raised a total funding of $73.6 million. Download our report to find out more.

https://techpoint.ng/2018/07/18/sharing-recovered-321m-abacha-loot/

Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by madridguy(m): 12:51pm On Jul 19, 2018
shocked
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by beegodson: 12:57pm On Jul 19, 2018
all those condemning the government....they have all been put to shame..the more you talk negatively the more the government delivers positively.. the funds to be allocated to people through their BVN... great! at least the beneficiaries can easily be identified.. for those asking how the money will be disbursed, here is your answer!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by Sarkin: 1:04pm On Jul 19, 2018
Abacha never looted and I can prove that.

The government is only using the word "loot" so that IPOB thugs and PDP demons can get orgasm for it.

Abacha detested corruption, you can ask Mr Duke that, he'll tell you again.

Abacha was a very close friend of mine and I knew him well.
He told me a lot of secrets, I trust him.
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by FarahAideed: 1:11pm On Jul 19, 2018
beegodson:
all those condemning the government....they have all been put to shame..the more you talk negatively the more the government delivers positively.. the funds to be allocated to people through their BVN... great! at least the beneficiaries can easily be identified.. for those asking how the money will be disbursed, here is your answer!

Mos of Nigeria's 79 million extremely poor people are unbanked so what BVN are you talking of

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by Shelumiel: 1:15pm On Jul 19, 2018
A cheap political strategy to win the hearts and minds of the gullible in 2019 election

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by buhariguy(m): 1:29pm On Jul 19, 2018
FarahAideed:

Mos of Nigeria's 79 million extremely poor people are unbanked so what BVN are you talking of
is it by force to comment,
if you don't know what to criticize, just praise the government.
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by buhariguy(m): 1:31pm On Jul 19, 2018
Shelumiel:
A cheap political strategy to win the hearts and minds of the gullible in 2019 election
someone will not still help the masses in peace,
Is it a crime to win peoples mind.

Jobless aggressive lazy people sef.
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by FarahAideed: 1:36pm On Jul 19, 2018
buhariguy:
is it by force to comment,
if you don't know what to criticize, just praise the government.

Get behind me zombie ..i have nothing applaud Buhari about

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by Abiodunspectre(m): 1:39pm On Jul 19, 2018
How true is that??
grin
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by Rubiesangel: 1:44pm On Jul 19, 2018
Why share the money to the citizens when they don't have basic amenities? Instead of share the money, the government t should invest it into the economy, repair bad roads and build new ones. They can also use it to rehabilitate weak institutions. Anything that will benefit the economy, and not sharing the money. That's total cluelessness

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by Troublemaker007(m): 1:50pm On Jul 19, 2018
beegodson:

Look at this f00l

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by Rubiesangel: 2:16pm On Jul 19, 2018
buhariguy:
someone will not still help the masses in peace,
Is it a crime to win peoples mind.

Jobless aggressive lazy people sef.
have you ever thought that money spent can't be reinvested? But do you know that money invested would would bring returns? Why share the money to be spent instead of using it to carry out projects that everyone would benefit from?

They could have used it to hold new roads, schools, etc
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by RevenGeMission: 2:25pm On Jul 19, 2018
Bastardized JewPobic Biafraudenese Lost tribe of israel condemned this cash transfer saying it's for election

Now that we know Swiss Bank Insisted it must be cash transfer to households and it must be handled by banks , what will the jewpobs say ?

Wait 79 Million Nigerians are unbanked , and they don't have phone too ?? because this writeup clearly indicated transfer to phones which i assume might be phone numbers like DYA but idiots are still not happy

Finally The program will run for 76 months Thats 6.3 years for crying out loud whereas the JewPobic Yoots of Biafraudenese region thought they should share it at the rate of 400 naira to all nigerians within one year

Goes to show how thoughtless and short sighted they are

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 19, 2018
Sarkin:

The government is only using the word "loot" so that IPOB thugs and PDP demons can get orgasm for it.

Abeg pm me, make I send you account number. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by buhariguy(m): 2:31pm On Jul 19, 2018
Rubiesangel:
have you ever thought that money spent can't be reinvested? But do you know that money invested would would bring returns? Why share the money to be spent instead of using it to carry out projects that everyone would benefit from?

They could have used it to hold new roads, schools, etc
let me laugh the jobless aggressive lazy osu of Biafra PDP first.

This same money that was budgeted for the same unconditonal cash transfer can now be use execute other project.
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by Paperwhite(m): 2:45pm On Jul 19, 2018
What a silly decision by this clueless & useless APC government.How did they arrived @ the BVN baseline criteria And who told them everyone operate Bank account let alone having a BVN?
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by Rubiesangel: 3:05pm On Jul 19, 2018
buhariguy:
let me laugh the jobless aggressive lazy osu of Biafra PDP first.

This same money that was budgeted for the same unconditonal cash transfer can now be use execute other project.
your point exactly?
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by buhariguy(m): 3:15pm On Jul 19, 2018
Rubiesangel:
your point exactly?
the unconditionally cash transfer is ongoing program,
But the jobless aggressive lazy idiotic pigs of Biafra did not see that as avenue to buy peoples mind.
The money originally budgeted for this cash transfer will still be there,

The jobless aggressive lazy idiotic pigs of Biafra will always read meaning to every good thing the government is doing.
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by tuniski: 4:18pm On Jul 19, 2018
beegodson:
The poorest nigerians don't have BVN cos they are not financially inclusive. This is just apc/buhari's fraud!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by sagehacker: 4:53pm On Jul 19, 2018
Abeg them don start the registration
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by Rubiesangel: 5:34pm On Jul 19, 2018
buhariguy:
the unconditionally cash transfer is ongoing program,
But the jobless aggressive lazy idiotic pigs of Biafra did not see that as avenue to buy peoples mind.
The money originally budgeted for this cash transfer will still be there,

The jobless aggressive lazy idiotic pigs of Biafra will always read meaning to every good thing the government is doing.
so Why are bitter against Biafra? How does this confirm them? You're so bitter towards the igbos, yet you won't let them have their own country, what's the rationale? Don't you think you are more of a pig?
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by Creg7: 12:10pm On Jul 22, 2018
Rubiesangel:
Why share the money to the citizens when they don't have basic amenities? Instead of share the money, the government t should invest it into the economy, repair bad roads and build new ones. They can also use it to rehabilitate weak institutions. Anything that will benefit the economy, and not sharing the money. That's total cluelessness

Exactly..... I see no reason for sharing the money.....
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by Ndonu101: 12:17pm On Jul 22, 2018
Shebi this government said they are looking for money to conduct elections?

Why not use Abacha loot to conduct election
Re: Nigerian Government To Effect $321m Abacha Loot To Benefits Nigerian With BVN by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:26pm On Jul 22, 2018
Sarkin:

Are you okay?

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Osun Commences Full Payment Of August Salary, Commits N19bn / #osundecides2018: Street Credibility Of APC And PMB. Pics / Sam Omatseye And Kayode Ogundamisi React To Atiku/obi Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.