Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,511 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:53 PM

Why Everything You Know About Close To Expired Drugs Is A Lie... - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Everything You Know About Close To Expired Drugs Is A Lie... (566 Views)

Lady Burnt While Answering Call Close To Her Cooking Gas, Dies (Graphic Pix) / Man Eats Expired Foods For A Year To Prove Expiry Dates Doesn't Mean Much / Man Raises Alarm Over Alleged Vaccination Of Babies With Expired Drugs At UCH Ib (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Everything You Know About Close To Expired Drugs Is A Lie... by prettyirene: 10:17am On Jul 20, 2018
Hmm!!! I like the facts that Nigerians are becoming health conscious ...i mean it's like everyone is a doctor or pharmacist. Before patients comes to the pharmacy, he/she must have read through about his ailment ..thanks to Google and Wikipedia �.....As medical practitioners, It keeps us on our toes and ensures we are knowledgeable so we would not be seen as dummies...
During the week, a man came to get some medications that included an antibiotics for his child age 2... he handed the prescription to me and I dispersed the drugs.....the antibiotics was about to expire in two months time....he then checked the expiry date and refused to buy it...he was like "madam this drug was manufactured 2016, and it's expiring in two months time....pls I need the new batch that was manufactured recently...i tried to explain to him that this is the current batch available in the market, it's even scarce .....all my explanation fell on deaf ears as he vehemently refused...he collected the other drugs and left...
Now I have had the experience over and over again...i appreciate the fact that everyone is taking responsibility for their health by checking and cross checking production and expiration dates of product....thanks to late Pharm Dora Akunyili.....i really don't blame them....I mean "this is Nigeria "��...if you know, you know...
But they are facts everyone should know about close to expired or expired drugs...this are facts from reputable research institutions...
Many medications are very expensive and people hate to waste them. To avoid a costly visit to the doctor for a new prescription, many people have to consume expired drugs.

Physicians and pharmaceutical companies, because of legal restrictions and liability concerns, will not sanction such use and may not even comment on the safety or effectiveness of using their products beyond the date on the label.

What does Expiration Date mean?

The expiration date, required by law in the United States, beginning in 1979, indicated the date the manufacturer guarantees the full potency and safety of the drug. At the time of the medication expiry date, the drug must be at least 90% of the original potency under proper storage conditions.

The expiration date does not indicate a point when a medication loses potency and is no longer effective or becomes harmful.

In general, drugs expiration date is 2-5 years from production date. FDA regulations do not require manufacturers to determine actual long-term drug potency and stability. For example, if a company chooses a three year expiration date, it does not have to test beyond that for prolonged effectiveness.

2. Potency and Efficacy.
Medication's potency gradually decreases starting from the moment of its manufacture. This process is not in anyway spontaneous after the expiry date.

Expired drugs have not necessarily lost their potency and efficacy. The expiration date is only an assurance that the labeled potency will last at least until that date. Ongoing research[3]shows that stored under optimal conditions, many drugs retain 90% of their potency for at least five years after the labeled expiration date, and sometimes longer. Even 10 years after the expiration date many pharmaceuticals retain a significant amount of their original potency.

Important note:Solid dosage forms, such as tablets and capsules, are most stable past their expiration date. Drugs that exist in solution or as a reconstituted suspension may not have the required potency if used when outdated.
Click my signature for more info...

Re: Why Everything You Know About Close To Expired Drugs Is A Lie... by jaymichael(m): 10:30am On Jul 20, 2018
When momsi was still a practising nurse, that was exactly what she told me about drugs.
Re: Why Everything You Know About Close To Expired Drugs Is A Lie... by HRHQueenPhil(f): 10:52am On Jul 20, 2018
good news for importers of drugs from overseas
Re: Why Everything You Know About Close To Expired Drugs Is A Lie... by Kampack: 12:03pm On Jul 20, 2018
'under proper storage conditions'

how many pharm shops store under 'normal' or 'proper' storage conditions! undecided Do they have ACs? Will PHCN give you power even if you have ACs to store at cool temperatures? DOn't blame customers rejecting about-to-expire drugs o! angry

abeg, park well.

Expiration dates of all drugs in Nigerian Pharm shops should even deduct 3 -6 months due to improper storage conditions. cheesy
Re: Why Everything You Know About Close To Expired Drugs Is A Lie... by prettyirene: 2:08pm On Jul 20, 2018
Kampack:
'under proper storage conditions'

how many pharm shops store under 'normal' or 'proper' storage conditions! undecided Do they have ACs? Will PHCN give you power even if you have ACs to store at cool temperatures? DOn't blame customers rejecting about to expired drugs o! angry

abeg, park well.

Expiration dates of all drugs in Nigerian Pharm

shops should even deduct 3 -6 months due to improper storage conditions. cheesy

Lol oga please take it easy.... pharmacists are trying even in an uncondusive environment.

(1) (Reply)

Young Adults Are Drinking Themselves To Death / Lagos Dump Where Scavengers Trade In Used Syringes, Other Surgical Waste / 18 Passengers Died On Their Way To Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.