Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! (3504 Views)

I Want To Sell My Infiniti G35 2008 Model Asap / My Infiniti G35: From Boston To My Doorstep / A Tribute To My Infiniti G35x 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Gallass(m): 1:20pm On Jul 20, 2018
AutoElectNG
GAZZUZZ

I have a 1997 Infiniti J30. Auto 3L V6.

November last year, the car started jerking while accelerating. It happens at all gears. And consumes fuel excessively.

When it does this, if you take ur foot off the gas pedal and gently acceralate, everything becomes normal.
Sometimes, you can drive for the next 5-10 mins without a reoccourance, some times, it might happen up to 4 times in the space of 5 mins.

REPAIR HISTORY

i took it to the first Mech, after test-driving, he said that it's the fuel pump.

I went and bought another fuel pump and replaced it. It improved but didn't solve the problem.

I took it to someone else who ran an OBD II scan. He said that it is a wiring problem (the car wiring has never been tampered, so he knows better). He ran repairs and for like 7 days, it didn't happen again.

After some time, it started again. Loses power, jerks too.

I was advised to change the plugs, I did. After few days, it started again. Jerks.... But doesn't lose power anymore.....although it sometimes hesitates during acceleration.

Took it to a recommended auto electrician.
He ran checks. OBD isn't recording any codes. He changed exhaust sensors, MAF, sparks plug and we ran a test drive..... The problem was still there.....and it looks like it's getting worse in frequency. A new twist came about during this test. when the jerk started on the road, instead of hitting the breaks and getting it back to normal, he deliberately shifted the gear to neutral and pushed down the gas pedal. The sound/ firing wasn't that okay. It was akin as if it was jerking but the only difference now is that the car is not in motion.
once u hit the brakes, it stops immediately and MAY start jerking in less than 30 seconds

Now, a mechanic in that same shop called me aside and told me that I should go and buy another fuel pump.... That it will solve the problem. I told him that I did that before and he said that.... there's a possibility that the one I bought earlier may also be faulty.

please, I need an advice.
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by AutoElectNG: 1:57pm On Jul 20, 2018
Seen will revert
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:26pm On Jul 20, 2018
Gallass:
AutoElectNG
GAZZUZZ

November last year, the car started jerking while accelerating. It happens at all gears. And consumes fuel excessively.

When it does this, if you take ur foot off the gas pedal and gently acceralate, everything becomes normal.
Sometimes, you can drive for the next 5-10 mins without a reoccourance, some times, it might happen up to 4 times in the space of 5 mins.

REPAIR HISTORY

i took it to the first Mech, after test-driving, he said that it's the fuel pump.

I went and bought another fuel pump and replaced it. It improved but didn't solve the problem.

I took it to someone else who ran an OBD II scan. He said that it is a wiring problem (the car wiring has never been tampered, so he knows better). He ran repairs and for like 7 days, it didn't happen again.

I was advised to change the plugs, I did. After few days, it started again. Jerks.... But doesn't lose power anymore.....although it sometimes hesitates during acceleration.

He ran checks. OBD isn't recording any codes. He changed exhaust sensors, MAF, sparks plug and we ran a test drive..... The problem was still there.....and it looks like it's getting worse in frequency. A new twist came about during this test. when the jerk started on the road, instead of hitting the breaks and getting it back to normal, he deliberately shifted the gear to neutral and pushed down the gas pedal. The sound/ firing wasn't that okay. It was akin as if it was jerking but the only difference now is that the car is not in motion.
once u hit the brakes, it stops immediately and MAY start jerking in less than 30 seconds

Now, a mechanic in that same shop called me aside and told me that I should go and buy another fuel pump.... That it will solve the problem. I told him that I did that before and he said that.... there's a possibility that the one I bought earlier may also be faulty.

2 Corinthians 6:17
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Gallass(m): 2:41pm On Jul 20, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

2 Corinthians 6:17
That's why I am here
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 20, 2018
Gallass:

That's why I am here

You might have a faulty Valve body that needs to be replaced. Tell him to check that. The vehicle's transmission computer isn't sending the right signals
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:59pm On Jul 20, 2018
I see no diagnosis no scan results.
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Gallass(m): 4:07pm On Jul 20, 2018
Pipedreams:

You might have a faulty Valve body that needs to be replaced. Tell him to check that. The vehicle's transmission computer isn't sending the right signals
hmmm
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:09pm On Jul 20, 2018
This would be interesting. Time to learn from the pros cool. Op did they run a compression test on the engine since it wasn't bringing out any codes.
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by AutoElectNG: 4:33pm On Jul 20, 2018
I humbly suggest that Live Data may be useful in the absence of any DTCs.

Alternatively, try scanning with a different device.
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Gallass(m): 9:45pm On Jul 20, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Have tried 5 devices.
The last person just concluded that since no codes are coming up, that the brain box is faulty
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Gallass(m): 9:46pm On Jul 20, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
This would be interesting. Time to learn from the pros cool. Op did they run a compression test on the engine since it wasn't bringing out any codes.

I don't know sha.
The man was running so many tests, I can't say for certain if he did or not
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by AutoElectNG: 9:54pm On Jul 20, 2018
History before November 2017 please
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Gallass(m): 5:59am On Jul 21, 2018
AutoElectNG:
History before November 2017 please

That was when I got the car.
It was a gift actually
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by AutoElectNG: 6:37am On Jul 21, 2018
Gallass:

It was a gift actually

When you scan, no DTCs or no communication, what do you get?

Although it is possible to have issues without codes, these kinds of drivability issues should throw codes.
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by diportivo: 10:29am On Jul 21, 2018
car suddenly loses power

rev it in neutral and it's jerking and sputtering

a nissan titan comes to mind.....no misfire related codes

fuel pump change did the magic

this thing no need too much oyinbo....if it isn't sputtering then there's something else involved
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:34am On Jul 21, 2018
Gallass:

I don't know sha.
The man was running so many tests, I can't say for certain if he did or not
What of a fuel pressure test?
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by AutoElectNG: 10:51am On Jul 21, 2018
Talking of fuel pump...did you install an exact fit? Brand new not used?

Never a wise decision to rely on used fuel pumps lifespan is not reliable
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by thebigkendo(m): 12:41pm On Jul 21, 2018
Gallass:

It was a gift actually

The person wey giviu this kind gift enh

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by OgaKazeem(m): 1:13pm On Jul 21, 2018
1. like Gazzuzz suggested, what codes did it throw up initially? can U provide those details?
2. if u're not getting any, try a more comprehensive scanner and examine carefully details from the live data. (as suggested by AutoElectNG)
3. its possible the fuel pump has failed again after changing due to excess work being put on it.
check fuel pressure along fuel line and at the fuel rail to determine the state of the pump. U can clean d injectors if they are still good.(as Diportivo said)
4. when the electrician worked on it and the problem went away for 7days, what did he do? we need specific details.
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by OgaKazeem(m): 1:13pm On Jul 21, 2018
thebigkendo:

hehehehe d person wan set am up shey? hihihi
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jul 21, 2018
I will recommend you take that car to Abuja park, Ladipo mushin. They have certified infiniti mechanics that would solve ur problem. Mind who you give that car before they complicate ur life.
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by nurey(m): 6:57am On Jul 22, 2018
Gallass:
AutoElectNG
GAZZUZZ

REPAIR HISTORY

most users of this infiniti I30 that have this issues had 3 things that causes it

1. coil pack

2. fuel pump

3. spark plugs

the technician working on the vehicle should test this 3 components first and see whether they are causing the issue or not
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Wilfredpat22(f): 7:31am On Jul 22, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Please my tiny light toyota is making annoying noise or squeaks at the back rear of the drivers side whenever I pass bumpy roads? Please as the noise draws the attention of people to me

Can scanner also read Camry tiny light?the noise is annoying and comes from underneath

PS-the rods and leakages supporting the absorbers has been removed yet the noise persist

Cc gazzuzz autojosh and all car gurus plsss
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by nurey(m): 7:45am On Jul 22, 2018
Wilfredpat22:

Please my tiny light toyota is making annoying noise or squeaks at the back rear of the drivers side whenever I pass bumpy roads? Please as the noise draws the attention of people to me

Can scanner also read Camry tiny light?the noise is annoying and comes from underneath

PS-the rods and leakages supporting the absorbers has been removed yet the noise persist

Cc and all car gurus plsss

you have answered the question your self, why will they remove rods and linkages without replacing it, that's suicide mission.

when you hear noise coming from underneath a car, the mechanic is supposed to view the rubber bushings first if they a still intact before checking linkages, tie rods and lower arm etc. But totally removing linkages, rods and using absorber like that makes ride prone to turnover.
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by AutoElectNG: 8:07am On Jul 22, 2018
Wilfredpat22:

Cc gazzu.zz auto.josh and all car gurus plsss

Any car 1996 upwards is OBD II compliant and can be scanned

Suspension issues....ask a different technician to check which suspension component is causing your issues
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by AutoElectNG: 8:01am On Jul 23, 2018
Unless we work with data from the vehicle and extremely accurate report of what went on or wrong, we would be guessing, guessing is not a scientific way to fix a car.

It is possible the vehicle had wiring issues prior to your ownership, note the word possible, I did not say certain.

Where are you located by the way?
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Gallass(m): 9:33am On Jul 23, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Talking of fuel pump...did you install an exact fit? Brand new not used?

Never a wise decision to rely on used fuel pumps lifespan is not reliable

well, I installed a used one
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Gallass(m): 11:51am On Jul 23, 2018
thebigkendo:

lol
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Gallass(m): 11:53am On Jul 23, 2018
AutoElectNG:

When you scan, no DTCs or no communication, what do you get?

Although it is possible to have issues without codes, these kinds of drivability issues should throw codes.

No communication with ECU
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Gallass(m): 11:54am On Jul 23, 2018
diportivo:
car suddenly loses power

rev it in neutral and it's jerking and sputtering

a nissan titan comes to mind.....no misfire related codes

fuel pump change did the magic

this thing no need too much oyinbo....if it isn't sputtering then there's something else involved

okay, thank you.
I am looking into that line of action
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Gallass(m): 11:55am On Jul 23, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

What of a fuel pressure test?
Did that, it was okay.
But I have noticed that this thing doesn't usually happen when I move out initially in the morning.
it is after just few KM... like 3-4kms
Re: I Need Help For My Infiniti J30!! by Gallass(m): 11:57am On Jul 23, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Unless we work with data from the vehicle and extremely accurate report of what went on or wrong, we would be guessing, guessing is not a scientific way to fix a car.

It is possible the vehicle had wiring issues prior to your ownership, note the word possible, I did not say certain.

Where are you located by the way?

Enugu

(1) (2) (Reply)

Infor On Audi A4 Car / PEUGEOT 307 Over Heating Problem / Advice Me On Toyota Avalon 2001

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.