Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? (1774 Views)

They Killed God, I Cant Feel God, My Soul Is Dead -Volunteer After Vaccine Trial / Spirit, Soul and Body: Man's Tripartite Nature Explained with Robot Concept / Your Soul Is Your Greatest Treasure, Don't Trade It For Anything In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by johnydon22(m): 6:44pm On Jul 21, 2018
It doesn't matter what you call it; spirit, soul. This concept is at the very fundamental ground of theistic beliefs, it is the point of the afterlife theory.

Plato believed the mind was as a result of the Gods putting a soul/spirit into man but Democritus (the man who first proposed the concept of atoms) believed the contrary.

Democritus argued that every effect is as a result of matter, that in intrinsic arrangements matter could and will give rise to thoughts.

Do you believe in spirit? Why do you think that man has a spirit? What is the effect of spirit?

Do you think there is no soul/spirit? Why?

Let us argue and debate in a good and profound way
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Blakjewelry(m): 7:33pm On Jul 21, 2018
I think this a very broad topic and I will come back to give my view

OK I am back. my take is that there is nothing like soul or spirit.
I see the human mind as nothing more than an advanced computer just like an AI. take a child for instance their brain is still clean like a new computer waiting for a lot of information to be stored, whatever information the child is expose is what determine the personality of that child. now if you take that same child and place it among wild animal it behavior will be similar to the animal it grow up with.

this simple example shows that we are a product of our environment, though some of our basic instinct for survival are passed onto us genetically but the rest we learn from the environment.

the concept of spirit and soul were originally design by our ancestors who were afraid of strange of nature of the environment in which they fine themselves and in trying to explain it developed religion to give explanation there world.

however, in my own theory, since the human mind is a complex machine and it is of electrical nature, I believe it can get to a stage were it will be able to survive outside the body as pure energy form able to survive without the host.

as for those who are going to quote the Bible, the book of Genesis says god breath onto the man and became a living soul, it did not mentioned how a spirit was created and put into the man.

and the book ecclesiastes says man dies the breath goes back to god who gave it.
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by johnydon22(m): 7:41pm On Jul 21, 2018
Blakjewelry:
I think this a very broad topic and I will come back to give my view

It will be an interesting debate if people argued their position without condescension and unnecessary emotions.

We look forward to having you back
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:52pm On Jul 21, 2018
SOUL AND SPIRITS ARE REAL... ONLY ON AFRICAN MAGIC.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by tintingz(m): 8:14pm On Jul 21, 2018
I'm not expert in this subject but the concept of a conscious entities like spirits/souls existing falls under same category as existence of God/s. Both cannot be proven and lack demonstrations to prove thier existence.

Does our thoughts comes from our brain or where, where is our memory stored?
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Fvcknames: 8:18pm On Jul 21, 2018
tintingz:
I'm not expert in this subject but the concept of a conscious entities like spirits/souls existing falls under same category as existence of God/s. Both cannot be proven and lack demonstrations to prove thier existence.

I think we can say with considerable confidence that thought and memory are functions of d brain
And I believe consciousness is just part of brain function
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by tintingz(m): 8:22pm On Jul 21, 2018
Fvcknames:

I think we can say with considerable confidence that thought and memory are functions of d brain
And I believe consciousness is just part of brain function
This means when someone dies, consciousness, memories dies with the brain?
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by johnydon22(m): 8:23pm On Jul 21, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

SOUL AND SPIRITS ARE REAL...
ONLY ON AFRICAN MAGIC.

I think that is an oversimplification. Most religious and philosophical position believes the mind is not a product of matter but actually the soul in manifestation.

Soul and spirit is a concept that spans through every culture

3 Likes

Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by johnydon22(m): 8:25pm On Jul 21, 2018
tintingz:
On an intrinsic quantification, they may not necessary be that much related

Do you think our mind proves we in fact have a soul? or is the mind a product of our brain(matter)?
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by tintingz(m): 8:42pm On Jul 21, 2018
johnydon22:
On an intrinsic quantification, they may not necessary be that much related
Ok

Do you think our mind proves we in fact have a soul? or is the mind a product of our brain(matter)?
I believe the mind is a product of our brain.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 21, 2018
Ve been opportuned to ask a mortuary attendant this back when I was extra inquisitive about these metaphysical occurrences and this is what I found out..

The first person I asked cautioned me on been extra inquisitive and told me their re many forces n this vast world.

Long story short, he told me that spirits and ghosts exists..

So unfortunate I didn't request more digs into it..

That was then Shaa... Now am more concerned on the Hustle part of life more than metaphysical and afterlife part of it..

1 Like

Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by purem(m): 10:55pm On Jul 21, 2018
If we believe that spirit is real then that will validate the idea that God also is real

Of course I've never said that Godis not real neither have I said that he's real

However if a man can sleep and see some images in his head (dream) then spirit is real coz dreaming is out of consciousness

Either which way it may be, am not certain but what am certain about is that the last sentence of the poster above me also applies to me
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Blakjewelry(m): 11:22pm On Jul 21, 2018
krattoss:
Ve been opportuned to ask a mortuary attendant this back when I was extra inquisitive about these metaphysical occurrences and this is what I found out..

The first person I asked cautioned me on been extra inquisitive and told me their re many forces n this vast world.

That was then Shaa... Now am more concerned on the Hustle part of life more than metaphysical and afterlife part of it..
yeah you keep that kind of bs on how mortuary attendant knocked before entering or making some incantation or you hear of dead people going to buy food, alcohol and sh*t and you ask yourself this question why is experience only in Africa and not in the developed world your answer is as good as mine

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jul 21, 2018
Human beings consist of a consciousness, a spirit and a soul .So yes soul and spirit are real.
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by sonmvayina(m): 11:57pm On Jul 21, 2018
Blakjewelry:

yeah you keep that kind of bs on how mortuary attendant knocked before entering or making some incantation or you hear of dead people going to buy food, alcohol and sh*t and you ask yourself this question why is experience only in Africa and not in the developed world your answer is as good as mine

Who told you it does not happen in developed world... I spent 10 years in London, I know what I saw on London Bridge...
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Martinez19(m): 1:00am On Jul 22, 2018
The mind is what people refer to as soul/spirit without them knowing. The essence of the mind and what constitute consciousness is far from being understood.
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Nobody: 1:15am On Jul 22, 2018
Blakjewelry:

lol.

Boy chill, u re still u re still upcoming in this game grin

One sentence I have for u.

You are only limited by what you have seen and know...that you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Fvcknames: 3:21am On Jul 22, 2018
tintingz:
This means when someone dies, consciousness, memories dies with the brain?
I believe so
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Fvcknames: 3:23am On Jul 22, 2018
purem:
If we believe that spirit is real then that will validate the idea that God also is real

Of course I've never said that Godis not real neither have I said that he's real

However if a man can sleep and see some images in his head (dream) then spirit is real coz dreaming is out of consciousness

Either which way it may be, am not certain but what am certain about is that the last sentence of the poster above me also applies to me
Dreaming is also seen to be a function of the brain
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Blakjewelry(m): 6:06am On Jul 22, 2018
sonmvayina:

Who told you it does not happen in developed world... I spent 10 years in London, I know what I saw on London Bridge...
lol I believe it is African belief that influence what you think you see. go and read the history of the world, you will see that most of the old believe system have abandoned in light of better knowledge but the African man refused to grow, instead he take other people religion and mixed it with his own to form a more potent one

3 Likes

Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Blakjewelry(m): 6:38am On Jul 22, 2018
krattoss:
lol.

Boy chill, u re still u re still upcoming in this game grin

One sentence I have for u.

You are only limited by what you have seen and know...that you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist

3 Likes

Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Nobody: 6:43am On Jul 22, 2018
Blakjewelry:

lol the funny thing is the person you are calling boy might have live more on this planet than you, and also grow up in a place were these believe system is commonplace.

when I was a kid the popular story then was how okada men will throw money on the ground and ask their passenger to pick it, the story then was most of the passengers refused and a crowd gathered and forced the okada man to pick it up, and when he did he disappeared, and when the people trace him to his house ( the story must include how he was traced) when they got to his house and saw him they called his name and he start vomiting cash.

then there goes the story of how if you pick money on the ground you will turn to yam hehehe.

now those stories look like the rush for wall clock and gramamphone rush.

now the story started that the old grammaphone and wall clock pendulum has mercury and the mercury is quite expensive that how the rush started

many said to test the originality, when you bring the stuff close to light it will dim the light. when I heard the theory, my scientific mind disagree but you can't win against the crowd.

so there goes the rush. peoples properties were stolen, some were attack and killed to get to their artifact even the Nigeria police will see you with those stuff and take away from you cos they too want to get rich quick too.

so some of my friends heard some knows the original buyer is an Hausa man, so they went through the link of a pastor and found it is like a ritual.

the man told them with original pendulum, they will all gathered together, and the pendulum will be use to voke money their will be smoke after everything settled one of them won't come back but each of them that remain will come back with two Ghana must go bag each so they ran away.

now fastforward to 2018 just Google search red mercury, you will see a hoax by the CIA caused that rush.

now since you are the expert in mysticism now who who pays the money into the ritualist account.
lol.. U have digressed totally grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Blakjewelry(m): 6:57am On Jul 22, 2018
krattoss:
lol.. U have digressed totally grin
na my point is most of killing you see might actually not be ritual killing and since the police is so lazy to investigate, we attributes virtually most killing to rituals and that have created a belief system of quick riches through money ritual. have you ever wondered why most of the babalawos that are arrested are still poor even though they claimed to their customers that can do it for them? it because they can't but believed they can just the story of that pastor that got himself arrested after failing to raise the dead, but deep down he believes he can.
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by Nobody: 7:04am On Jul 22, 2018
Is there such thing as a soul? YES.
Is a soul the same as a spirit? No.

Your soul is basically who you are. i.e - The mind.
The spirit is basically the state of the mind. These things are immaterial and needs a host, that's where the body comes in.
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by NPComplete: 7:16am On Jul 22, 2018
If we believe the soul is real then surely we can't be the only animals with a soul on this planet

Every animal that exhibits any form of self consciousness can be said to have a soul in that regards. A sheep that is able to tell itself apart from another sheep also has a soul then.

What I reject completely is the exclusivity of the soul that humans lay claim to. It is either we have no soul and we are just the summation of complex electrical wirings in the brain or all animals have a soul. It cannot be neither.
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by johnydon22(m): 7:26am On Jul 22, 2018
purem:

How is dream out of the consciousness?
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by johnydon22(m): 7:29am On Jul 22, 2018
Jesse01:
Human beings consist of a consciousness, a spirit and a soul, all of which were created through the will of God. So yes soul and spirit are real.

Wait. A consciousness, spirit and soul? They are not the same?

Can you expatiate?
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by johnydon22(m): 7:29am On Jul 22, 2018
krattoss:

Lol. But why would he caution you about being extra inquisitive?
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by johnydon22(m): 7:53am On Jul 22, 2018
sonmvayina:

Regail us the tale bro

1 Like

Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by johnydon22(m): 7:57am On Jul 22, 2018
NPComplete:
If we believe the soul is real then surely we can't be the only animals with a soul on this planet

Every animal that exhibits any form of self consciousness can be said to have a soul in that regards. A sheep that is able to tell itself apart from another sheep also has a soul then.

What I reject completely is the exclusivity of the soul that humans lay claim to. It is either we have no soul and we are just the summation of complex electrical wirings in the brain or all animals have a soul. It cannot be neither.

So you don't know which is it?
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by purem(m): 8:24am On Jul 22, 2018
johnydon22:

How is dream out of the consciousness?

Consciousness is been aware and in control of what going on around you

Can you control the images you see in head while dreaming?

Of course you can't, you either try to recall back those images after you've been conscious
Re: Spirit/soul: Is There Such A Thing? by purem(m): 8:28am On Jul 22, 2018
Fvcknames:

Dreaming is also seen to be a function of the brain

Can you expatiate on that please?

Even nightmare too is a handiwork of the brain?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Has Your Faith Got You That You Couldn't Have Gotten Through Secular Means? / 10 Nigerian Pastors/prophets Who Gave False Prophecies That Never Happened In 20 / What If Another Jesus Comes Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.