Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,461 members, 7,801,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. (36729 Views)

Is Toyota Really Reliable As Claimed? / Fuel Scarcity In 1974, See Cars In Vogue In The 70s As Nigerians Queue (video) / Is Toyota A Better Company Than Mercedes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by omicpet(m): 2:26pm On Sep 28, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

sadly this is not entirely true. u need to do some research in mineral, semi synthetic and full synthetic oils.

some oils will ensure your engine stays sludge free over the course of usage while some have a natural tendency to break down causing sludge.

it is also important to note that regular servicing (engine oil and oil filter change) is also necessary to ensure a sludge free engine.

also city driving or only weekend driving can also facilitate and/or accelerate the formation of sludge.

these reasons above are the major reasons for the inception of full synthetic oils, unlike their brother.. mineral oils which are gotten as a byproduct of refining crude oil, they are manufactured in the lab and basically consists of polymers. also they are equipped with detergent compounds which tend to ensure u have a sludge free environment.

having said that, u cannot still decide not to change ur oil because it is synthetic, the duration of the life span is significantly higher than the minerals but after a calculated period of time, they tend to lose their viscosity and start acting like a single weighted oil which is not also too good.

sadly dru is right, I hate it when he is right though... he is as arrogant as a peacock having it's beard shaved!

the major cause of sludge is not wear and tear of the engine parts, it's actually the break down of the oil(usually mineral) in use.... either due to engine under-utilization (engine doesn't reach operating temp) or due to neglected oil service intervals.

now imagine a car bought tokunbo with 200k+ miles WITHOUT SLUDGE due to proper maintenance, when the car arrives Nigeria, they bypass the fans to run direct and delete the thermostat..... engine never reaches operating temperature... as if that's not enough, someone somewhere will then service with Mobil xhp 20w50 with N500 Chinese knock off filter.

in less than 2years or 20k. miles in Nigeria, u open that engine..... it'll look like someone was moulding clay inside..... this is why the Honda engines are more rugged.... they can withstand these terrible abuses without breaking a sweat..... sadly Toyota can't.... dunno about Volvo but I'm sure Hyundai and Kia no fit take am too.... Mercedes, Audi and BMW can all take it
SUPERB !!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by Deeni131: 7:33pm On Jan 23, 2021
How much is toyota corolla 08 ac compressor??
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by NaijautoDotCom(m): 5:02am On Jan 25, 2021
Toyota cars are not perfect. You can discover the worst Toyota cars with numerous issues in this post: https://naijauto.com//car-buying-and-selling/7-worst-toyota-cars-in-nigeria-7594
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by Davasco: 8:04am On Jan 30, 2021
Hi please i need a nigeria used1999 Toyota sienna.
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by lagusboyyy(m): 7:58pm On Aug 25, 2021
InvertedHammer:

/
The business model of Auto industry has changed. Everything has expiry date. They expect you to trade in a car after 100k miles and take a newer model. Cars are not made as sturdy and reliable as they used to be. The manufacturers are more interested in aesthetics, entertainment, comfort than reliability which is why they load newer cars with electronic gadgets, sensors, etc that drive owners nuts when they develop problems. You will see a 1990 Mercedes 300E still going strong but a Toyota Camry 2003 will look like something out of a dumpster. By the way, I don't think car manufacturers have Nigeria roads in mind when they put their cars together. Roads in Nigeria could be classified as off-road. Vehicles plying them should have reinforced suspension. But do they? No.
/
What!!!

Lol...

Nigeria roads should be classified as off-roads Kuku,kill me.
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by weyreypey: 12:40pm On Sep 04, 2021
lagusboyyy:
What!!!

Lol...

Nigeria roads should be classified as off-roads Kuku,kill me.
That's a fact.
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by mac04: 6:38am On Sep 05, 2021
GoldHorse:
Try Volvo products or German brands. Most Nigerians buy Toyota and Honda products because of second hand sales value.

I don't. I buy my cars and use them for the present value they can give me not because of what they will give someone else in the future. Imagine using a car for 7 years without one single engine problem. Didn't even change the plugs.... and na tokunbo o.

Nice

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by bishie101(m): 7:07am On Sep 05, 2021
FestacGirl:
Is Toyota as Reliable as we try to make it seem in this country ?.

I've come to realise it's very easy to diagnose and the China inferior parts are everywhere Hence the reason why people think the parts are cheap.

I've used quite a few toyota's and I can say they are not very solid as people try to make it seem.

I had a 2007 camry bought from the states . Started shorting oil after 9 months. This is a very common problem with this model but people never mention it.
Ps I used the recommenfed oil, Mobil 1 from USA 5w-30

The almighty corolla we love so much is quite durable. But the suspension components are garbage and within a while the suspension noise will start.
The original parts are not even cheap.
But if you patronize the cheap Chinese you might get them cheap but they give away so fast.

I'm currently using a 2008 Highlander V6 2gr (picked it over the rav4 and rx330 ) Bought it 2 months ago.

This vehicle has only 120k original miles. The movement is very quick I must say .
On the glass it states the former owner has been servicing with 5w-20 Castrol and I was lucky to find couple of service history receipts in the glove compartment.
The car has been taken cared of well. But I noticed quite a few perks in a car of such miles. It makes the dreaded grinding noise at start up. I already changed the oil with 5w-20 Mobil but still same.

Why would a car of this mile be having vvti issues then I searched Internet . This is a common issues with this vehicle, The rav4 v6 , highlander v6 , auRion and Co .
From 2006 -2010 .
Toyota didn't issue any recall infact I found out it was a night mere for most users as they sold theirs when he noise started.

I also have foul smell from the exhaust when I accelerate . My catalytic converter is in good condition. No Cel . Most people also complain of this issue on the rav4 and highlander from as low as 30k miles.

This smell is scary because even with the windows up I smell it in the interior.

Their are loads of shitty issue I've noticed on toyota but people will ignore because of the hype.

The 2gr I heard is over 500k.

The camry 4plug engine is over 250k and it's not very durable.
** Start up sounds even from using the right oil
** Burning oil .
** The engine is also quite lazy.

I feel this brand is over hyped.
And people spend hundreds repairing this cars but they don't find anything wrong in doing that.
But if it was a Honda with such problems they would give it names.

If it was a Honda or Nissan it would have been crucified.

Very true. We live in a country where we believe hear say. I’ve always heard trash about Kia cars till I imported a 2013 optima in April for sale. That car is very very sharp. Similar to Camry and even better in handling.

It’s still very much available for sale in case anyone is interested. Prices is fair too and reflects the current exchange rate
Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by weyreypey: 8:01am On Sep 05, 2021
bishie101:

Very true. We live in a country where we believe hear say. I’ve always heard trash about Kia cars till I imported a 2013 optima in April for sale. That car is very very sharp. Similar to Camry and even better in handling.

It’s still very much available for sale in case anyone is interested. Prices is fair too and reflects the current exchange rate

Hehehe.... you'll understand. Keep using it

1 Like

Re: Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. by bishie101(m): 7:46am On Sep 11, 2021
weyreypey:

Hehehe.... you'll understand. Keep using it

What do you mean? �

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles (photo) / Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? / The New 6-wheel-drive Mercedes G63 AMG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.