Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,700 members, 7,802,072 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert (9169 Views)

Actress Tonto Dikeh Ridiculed For Showing Off Her Panties At A Park / Your Pant Is Dirty; Watch As Fans Ridiculed Mercy Aigbe's Daughter / Juliet Ibrahim: I Have Been Called K-Legs, Mocked And Ridiculed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Simplybami(f): 1:53am On Jul 22, 2018
The Yoruba's tribe passion for acquisition of knowledge through formal education is our hallmark which also serves as the outstanding feature which distinguishes us among other ethnic groups. We understand the values of education and this has helped in building and maintaining our tradition of intellectualism that has been in existence over centuries.

However, if a corporate brand like Airtel Nigeria is looking for a tribe to patronise in a condescending way amongst the ethnic groups we have in Nigeria, the least tribe to be considered for the ingenuous act is Yoruba tribe considering our level of exposure. As a matter of fact, no tribe should be represented as such, because there are educated people in our ethnic groups.

I watched in dismay the new advert of Airtel Nigeria featuring some nollywood actors. Ngozi Iwosu represented the igbo tribe, while Idowu Philips popularly known as Iya Rainbow, represented the yoruba tribe.

The advert clearly depicts the rivalry between the two tribes. The battle for who would overshadow the other between the two Mother In-laws; Amaka's Mum (representing the Igbo tribe ) and Mama Rainbow (representing the Yoruba tribe) started during the christening of the new born baby.

The advert centers on the young couple; Amaka and Segun(Segun's role was played by Abdullateef Adedimeji )who recently got married and had their first child. At the christening ceremony, Amaka's mum took the child to take a picture with her.

“Selfie time" she shouted. The crowd gathered around her to be captured.
Mama Rainbow also Brought out her tablet almost immediately, not wanting to be left out of the fanfare.

“Selufie time,” she squealed.

Now back to my drift,Ngozi Iwosu was made to play the character of a sophisticated and educated igbo woman while Iya Rainbow on the other hand is the unlettered Yoruba woman that can't pronounce (selfie time) rather she said 'Selufie time' .Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to cause any controversy as regards the advert. All I just need is a clarification from Airtel Nigeria, the intent of the advert or should i just assume they are just trying to portray the Yoruba tribe as the uneducated tribe?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:59am On Jul 22, 2018
Much ado about nothing!

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:00am On Jul 22, 2018
It was something like this that caused ethnic war in a certain country!
Some people are just full of it!

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by shortgun(m): 2:07am On Jul 22, 2018
Go n seat down for erosion water.if u are truly educated u won't type this nonsense.

20 Likes

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by ITbomb(m): 2:41am On Jul 22, 2018
^^^^ IPAD YOOTS grin

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by potent5(m): 3:04am On Jul 22, 2018
Op, shame no de catch you? Your yeye no be here.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Betakeshi: 3:30am On Jul 22, 2018
undecided
Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by phrancys001(m): 6:01am On Jul 22, 2018
Tot she said "teleview time"?

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by DonEd(m): 7:13am On Jul 22, 2018
People like u are the main causes of rifts and crisis in workplaces or gatherings that escalats into full blown enmity and war.

Please state the reason why u came up with this nonsense.

Go and support your brain like.. .

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 22, 2018
post=69595106:
Much ado about nothing!
Bro,have you read the book☺☺

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:45am On Jul 22, 2018
MuhammadWrites:
Bro,have you read the book☺☺
Yes bro, we love reading a lot.
It's a very interesting read.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Nobody: 9:55am On Jul 22, 2018
Lol, didn't even notice.. don't read meaning into everything my dear.. life is too short.. no stress yourself biko!

10 Likes

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by OKorowanta: 10:15am On Jul 22, 2018
mhizenugu:
Lol, didn't even notice.. don't read meaning into everything my dear.. life is too short.. no stress yourself biko!

Livam make he continue.. until all him mates wey dey reason normal go hammer livam.

6 Likes

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by omniwater: 10:43am On Jul 22, 2018
it's just a comedy advert my sister.

5 Likes

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by lenghtinny(m): 11:59am On Jul 22, 2018
Some peeps lives are so empty that they get bothered by anything angry

3 Likes

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by NnamdiN: 1:00pm On Jul 22, 2018
This one mind strong, you no dey laugh? It was a funny ad, nothing more...

4 Likes

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 22, 2018
@simplybami I hate dt advert too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Joelsblog(m): 2:28pm On Jul 22, 2018
Even little things that shouldn't matter becomes a problem of the day... It was not to ridicule anybody... Period!
Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 22, 2018
Simplybami:
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to cause any controversy as regards the advert. All I just need is a clarification from Airtel Nigeria, the intent of the advert or should i just assume they are just trying to portray the Yoruba tribe as the uneducated tribe?

Interesting view

It seems you read a lot into the advert

In any case, you could send a complaint DIRECTLY to Airtel Nigeria

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by kevoh(m): 3:18pm On Jul 22, 2018
Mods abeg delete this thread! It promotes hatred! Just a simple joke you have turned into something else!

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Lefty500: 3:34pm On Jul 22, 2018
Seriously I didn't expect anyone to read meanings to that. But if you want to fight, first go and fight funke Akindele aka Jenifer, she started it and people have seen that as a selling point. If she hadn't portrayed herself as an illiterate Yoruba girl, probably airtel wouldn't have thought so of making Iya Rainbow played that character.

3 Likes

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by carammel(f): 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2018
People can read meaning to just anything.
I saw a movie thriller the other day where Patience Ozokwo acted the illiterate,unsophisticated igbo mother-in-law while Ayo Adesanya acted the Educated and sophisticated Yoruba mother-in-law. It is all acting.

3 Likes

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by penmasterwriter: 5:10pm On Jul 22, 2018
Simplybami:
The Yoruba's tribe passion for acquisition of knowledge through formal education is our hallmark which also serves as the outstanding feature which distinguishes us among other ethnic groups. We understand the values of education and this has helped in building and maintaining our tradition of intellectualism that has been in existence over centuries.

However, if a corporate brand like Airtel Nigeria is looking for a tribe to patronise in a condescending way amongst the ethnic groups we have in Nigeria, the least tribe to be considered for the ingenuous act is Yoruba tribe considering our level of exposure. As a matter of fact, no tribe should be represented as such, because there are educated people in our ethnic groups.

I watched in dismay the new advert of Airtel Nigeria featuring some nollywood actors. Ngozi Iwosu represented the igbo tribe, while Idowu Philips popularly known as Iya Rainbow, represented the yoruba tribe.

The advert clearly depicts the rivalry between the two tribes. The battle for who would overshadow the other between the two Mother In-laws; Amaka's Mum (representing the Igbo tribe ) and Mama Rainbow (representing the Yoruba tribe) started during the christening of the new born baby.

The advert centers on the young couple; Amaka and Segun(Segun's role was played by Abdullateef Adedimeji )who recently got married and had their first child. At the christening ceremony, Amaka's mum took the child to take a picture with her.

Mama Rainbow also Brought out her tablet almost immediately, not wanting to be left out of the fanfare.

Now back to my drift,Ngozi Iwosu was made to play the character of a sophisticated and educated igbo woman while Iya Rainbow on the other hand is the unlettered Yoruba woman that can't pronounce (selfie time) rather she said 'Selufie time' .Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to cause any controversy as regards the advert. All I just need is a clarification from Airtel Nigeria, the intent of the advert or should i just assume they are just trying to portray the Yoruba tribe as the uneducated tribe?

www.simplybami..com

you aint serious...

2 Likes

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by nazablossom(f): 5:25pm On Jul 22, 2018
I always enjoy that advert, so funny. grin Especially the Igbo woman's dance step.

On a serious note, Op you really need to loosen up. Everything is not about tribalism and conspiracy.

2 Likes

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by GodIsBiafran: 7:04pm On Jul 22, 2018
The OP is right and I am Igbo. They do it to Igbos too.
Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by satowind(m): 9:18pm On Jul 22, 2018
U deserve a ban for trying to start a controversy, let me advice you with your signature be the change you want to see in the world...

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Nobody: 4:49am On Jul 23, 2018
Look atew

3 Likes

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by summerky: 9:49am On Jul 23, 2018
Simplybami:

You lie!! that's not what the advertisement portrays and don't try to start what you can't finish leave tribalism out of it.
Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by donjaic: 9:12am On Jan 22, 2019
@OP i just saw a new one; Iya rainbow and Ngozi both in the kitchen trying to out do each other while blending/grinding soup ingredients...Ngozi using modern gadgets to blend and Iya rainbow using the traditional methods (tradotional methods which are still used even in mordern homes) it was really hilarious grin.

In my opinion, in a country and world where the rate of divorce is increasing every year. Such comic relief is very much needed.
The advert series showed some of the challenges faced by inter tribal marriages in our country and the characters did a good job. But did you notice how the young couple kept doing all they could to manage their in-law's differences? Never allowing it to come in between them as many do today? Hence the mother in-laws still stayed under their roof.

Moral lesson:
1. We can still live together despite our educational, cultural and tribal/ethnic differences..
2. Marriages can last longer when you learn how to manage your in-laws or other third party interference..

@OP see the brighter side of life. Life is good.

2 Likes

Re: How Airtel Ridiculed The Yoruba Tribe In Their New Tv Advert by Olufela30: 11:05am On Jan 22, 2019
You need to watch a La Liga match and see the new Airtel advert !!! And please, gbenusoun !!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Regina Daniel's Mother, Rita Encourage Ladies To Have Sex For Movie Role / Genevieve Nnaji Travels To America And Loses Major Role To Rival Omotola / French Montana Grabs Khloe’s Butt At Birthday Celebration – See Pics Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.