Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles (14491 Views)

Challenges Of Getting Married To A Strict Christian / How Apostle Omotosho Predicted Emir Sanusi’s Travail In 2020 / Photo Of A Pastor With Bulge Praying With A Lady Got People Talking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Lautechgossip(m): 7:25am On Jul 22, 2018
Sons and daughters of gospel ministers are having hard times living up to the expectations of their lineage owing to a combination of psychological and societal factors with damning consequences, reports Sunday Oguntola

Amos Ige (not real name) is naturally a likeable, transparent personality. But he hides his parents’ identity much more than his net worth. He would rather tell people his financial worth than reveal the true identity of his parents.

“It’s supposed to be an asset that I am a Pastor’s Kid (PK) but I am not proud to disclose that side of me. If there is anything I guard jealously, it is letting people know that my father and mother are pastors,” the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) expert states.

But he used to be so proud of that heritage until few years ago. “Growing up, I was so all over town telling everyone I am a PK. I received special privileges and preferences, especially within the Christian community,” he confirms.

It all changed for him in 2014. “I dated a lady in church and before you could say Jack, she became pregnant,” he recalls. All hell was let loose. The poster boy of the church suddenly became a leper. Nobody wanted to have anything to do with him again. His parents felt so let down they almost disowned him.

Beyond pardons

For the first time, the pressure of being a PK got at him. “I felt so disappointed with myself. I started thinking I didn’t deserve such wonderful parents. I felt literally like the Devil. Till date, I haven’t gotten over big let-down. It occurred to me that PKs are expected to be so above board that our mistakes are unpardonable,” Ige shares.

The feeling of living beyond pardons has taken Ige out of the church and left his relations with his parents strained. “We talk occasionally but things are never the same with us again. They felt I destroyed their testimony and credibility as ministers. That is never my intention at all. I didn’t wake up one day with that in mind.

“But even if I did, I think I should have been forgiven and pardoned. I find it odd we preach so much forgiveness but hardly extend it to others when they commit seemingly unpardonable sins,” Ige states.

According to him, there are so many PKs in his shoes because they are subjected to higher standards. “I know we should be examples but we can also falter and when we do, we shouldn’t be written off. It appears everyone expects a PK to be so holy and without blemishes that when we falter, we should be crucified.”

Unrealistic expectations

A PK, who simply identified herself simply as Beatrice recalled how she lived a troubled childhood because of her parents’ status. She said: “I grew up in a mission house with my parents always telling me I must be different from others. My church folks also pointed out when I make mistakes that I shouldn’t because my parents are pastors.

“When I fought, they say ‘a pastor’s child shouldn’t do that’. Whatever I did, I kept hearing the same thing. Everyone expected me to be so different and holy. Living under that kind of pressure killed me off. I ended up withdrawing to my shell and living a pretentious life.” Beatrice, a single mother, said the unrealistic expectations placed on pastors’ children make many of them turn out bad.

Beatrice left the church as soon as she was out of home. She ended up with a man who impregnated her before she returned to complete her tertiary education. “At a point, I just told myself I couldn’t live up to the holy standards of a pastor’s child. I gave up completely and chose a different path from my parents. The pressure on us is enormous and many are buckling under them,” she laments.

Poor parenting skills

Marriage counsellor, Pastor Bisi Adewale, is worried with the trend of many PKs turning out bad. “It should call for concerns because it can be heartbreaking to have children working against what you stand for.”

Adewale attributes to the worrisome trend to poor parenting skills by most pastors. “You see parenting is a skill that must be learnt and practised consistently. Pastors’ children are not any different from others. They must be nurtured in the faith and trained well to take after their parents.

“But when parents don’t mirror good conducts or place undue pressure on them, they will certainly give in. Yes, the Devil works extra hard to fight their turning out well but I believe the buck of the challenge is on how they are brought up,” he states.

Religious impositions

Senior Pastor of Calvary Bible Assembly Lagos, Dr Caleb Andrews, believes many pastors overstretch their children to the point of irritation.

“There are so many religious activities we do that make our children associate Christianity with rituals. For example, most pastors force their children to wake up by 5am for morning devotion.

“Those kids will grow up resenting that practise because it deprives them of sleeping well. There is nowhere it is stated we cannot have devotions in the nights or afternoon.

“We impose church attendance on them too because we are pastors. There is the likelihood they will resent such imposition if we don’t attach benefits to them. We live in an age where children are resentful of impositions and religious rites. If we are not careful, we would lose them for life,” the graduate of psychology shares.

The founder of Good Heritage Ministry Abuja, Apostle Ekene Okon, urges pastors to live true to their callings, especially at home. “They have to be exemplary and model good conducts to the children. Once the kids spot any contradiction with what they preach and do, they will be tuned off.

“Besides, we must allow these kids to make mistakes and learn from them. I know it is tough but we should let people know pastors’ children can make mistakes and should not be condemned when they do. When we give the impression they are above mistakes, we are setting them up for a big fall,” he submits.

A teen minister, Korede Abolade, believes pastors’ children should be allowed to grow without undue pressure. “From my observation, many of them are already conditioned for a big fall. The church and their parents tell them to be so good without working on how to get that done. Many of them either pretend or grumble underneath. That is why they are so happy to leave home because they feel so choked,” she states.

http://kikiotolu.com/challenges-of-being-a-pastors-kid-travail-personal-struggles/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Trustme2(m): 7:48am On Jul 22, 2018
Can you imagine me having 4 different FTC today ? I wish there's cash reward grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 22, 2018
They are always watched by others. Talk to a girl, they will say "omo Pastor yi ti baje".

The boys tend to be womanisers or cultists in school, the girls, runs gals and other vices.

The devil is a liar!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by soberdrunk(m): 3:19pm On Jul 22, 2018
I am a pastor's kid and one of my biggest challenge is "THE MEMBERS"!! They are always so judgmental, Mans' will be enjoying his beer in the joint jejely and next thing one of 'the members' is greeting Mans' with that 'judgemental look', me i nor kuku send them!! Nor be me God call.......... angry angry

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by lonelydora: 3:19pm On Jul 22, 2018
Na them dey bad pass

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Deivid10(m): 3:19pm On Jul 22, 2018
Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by brennyB: 3:19pm On Jul 22, 2018
Too long
Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Ayoswit(f): 3:20pm On Jul 22, 2018
No one should live in anyone's shadow. I know a pastor's daughter who wished to be a runway model but she's scared of telling her parents cos they wont agree. I really felt pity for her.

7 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Exwizard: 3:21pm On Jul 22, 2018
Sub title pls
Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by ednut1(m): 3:21pm On Jul 22, 2018
They see the hypocrisy outsiders dont see . hence they become rebels as dem papa kuku na scammer

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Exwizard: 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2018
Senselin:
I don't know why Pastors kids seem to be bad. The boys tend to be womanisers or cultists in school, the girls, runs gals and other vices.

The devil is a liar!

How about oyedepo and adeboye children

5 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by PastorandMentor(m): 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2018
Op You no get work oo.

3 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by MrCuteking(m): 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2018
Still reading...
Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by masseratti: 3:23pm On Jul 22, 2018
Oh well, true I can relate with most of the write ups there, I freaking hate morning devotion, attend service only when I feel like now, by hey am happy that's the most important thing.

4 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Lincolnburrows(m): 3:27pm On Jul 22, 2018
So true. I'm one

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by DrayZee: 3:27pm On Jul 22, 2018
Senselin:
I don't know why Pastors kids seem to be bad. The boys tend to be womanisers or cultists in school, the girls, runs gals and other vices.

The devil is a liar!
You don't know why? Isn't that what the OP just explained?

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:27pm On Jul 22, 2018
It's really a hard time for them
Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Profayo: 3:30pm On Jul 22, 2018
The truth is all professions come with it's unique pressure. If you're the son a teacher,especially if you are the child of the principal,everyone expects you to be the best in your class,if you should not meet up,you will be hearing"and his dad is a teacher o".And if you are too excellent,they will say it's favoritism. If the son if a doctor should come down with diarrhea, everyone will be saying "and he is the son if a doctor o,how can he come down with diarrhea?If your mum/dad is a celebrity and you achieve something extraordinary,they will say " he is riding on his parent's fame. So everyone had their peculiar challenges and parents should help their children cope with the peculiarities

29 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 22, 2018
This writeup is anti-Christian, intended to whip up more hatred towards pastors. We shall all reap whatever we sow.

7 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by congorasta: 3:30pm On Jul 22, 2018
k

the devil is interested in your life, as a pastor's ward.

if he can't get your father, he will surely come for you...

you should be more prayerful than your dad

8 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by okomile(f): 3:45pm On Jul 22, 2018
True write up.

I can relate with my son.

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Kingdolo(m): 4:10pm On Jul 22, 2018
It's tough living a pretentious life

4 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Doctormarrvin: 4:12pm On Jul 22, 2018
Especially the all night's and morning devotion thingy! angry sad And the extremely long service,i can totally relate.

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 22, 2018
Menh....i can relate with this writeup like seriously....
I went through hell growing up as a pastor's child too.
The Temptations no b 4 here. Most times , its literally hard to keep up with the standards. To save my arse and protect my parents' image, I had to swear an oath of Celibacy to myself at 23.My mother doesnt know that i hacked my mind beyond the point of misogyny just to save myself from fornication. She keeps pestering me about marriage not knowing my mind is fvcked up beyond repair. Am literally going monk and still battling my Bodily desires.In other aspects , na oaths i dey take do shock absorber . ......

7 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by oshe11: 4:27pm On Jul 22, 2018
Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by MsGood(f): 4:27pm On Jul 22, 2018
I'm a Pastor's kid and I don't see anything wrong with attending morning devotion or church services. It's challenging to wake up early for church (RCCG) but my major challenge was waiting for my parents go from meeting to meetings after service. It was annoying.
Another one is annoying people monitoring your life for any mistake to be able to say "she's a pastor's daughter o". I hate that statement and I'm always ready to snap at anyone who says it. I tell them " I am God's daughter and I'm not in anyway ashamed of making mistakes".

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by kinibigdil: 4:29pm On Jul 22, 2018
Pks must be a big shoe to be in o, most pastor will tell you how they were smokers, cultist bad men and women before they gave their life, that means their repentance was after they have enjoyed all the bad things tire, then give their life's, you as a pastor's kid out of youthful exuberance might want to try it, and ooh yeah you are the devil of the house and you are disowned LOL it is really a hard position to be.

5 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by InvertedHammer: 4:31pm On Jul 22, 2018
//
It is because the hypocrisy of their parents is manifested in them.

//

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 22, 2018
MsGood:
I'm a Pastor's kid and I don't see anything wrong with attending morning devotion or church services. It's challenging to wake up early for church (RCCG) but my major challenge was waiting for my parents go from meeting to meetings after service. It was annoying.
Another one is annoying people monitoring your life for any mistake to be able to say "she's a pastor's daughter o". I hate that statement and I'm always ready to snap at anyone who says it. I tell them " I am God's daughter and I'm not in anyway ashamed of making mistakes".

Thank you for being a good example. More grace for you.

7 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by paxonel(m): 4:40pm On Jul 22, 2018
Imagin a pastor kid who was born with the talent to be the next davido or wizkid, my guy, that pastor kid will have a lot of battle to fight.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Pastor’s Kid: Travail & Personal Struggles by NoToPile: 4:47pm On Jul 22, 2018
Nothing wrong with morning devotion now.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Pentecostal Church Verses The Catholic Church. / What Are Your Favourite Bible Characters? / TB Joshua Didnt Foresee Atta Mills Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.