Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,153 members, 7,780,109 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:44 AM

Sow Attacking Piglet - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Sow Attacking Piglet (977 Views)

Piglet For Sale / Meet My Two Month Piglet / Tagging Piglet As A Means Of Identification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sow Attacking Piglet by Ayemileto(m): 6:17pm On Jul 22, 2018
Please, how can one prevent a sow from attacking piglets during farrowing?

There's this sow we have, few months ago, it gave birth to 8 piglets over night. But we met all the piglets dead the following morning.

Just Now, The SOW has started giving birth again, but unlike the other SOWs, It takes a long time Interval between births to give birth to successive piglets. I witnessed it attack the first piglet and eat a part of it. Some mins(OR hour) later it gave birth to the second Piglet which seem healthy, Just like the first, It attacked this when the piglet approached it for milk.

So far, it has given birth to a third(After something like an hour or more of birthing the first), which we successfully separated from it(By freeing the SOW and locking up the PIGLET) before it can attack.

The SOW is aggressive, and on two occasions after releasing it, I witnessed the eyes turn Red for a brief moment.

Currently, It is sitting in front of the gate to another SOW's house. Can this help in anyway?(I don't want the other sow to learn killing its piglets)

Is there anything(like food) we can give to the surviving piglets? we don't currently have a nursing SOW.

My mum believe it still has 7 piglets it has not giving birth to as the sow's mother birthed 8 piglets first and 10 after.

What do you think we can do for this SOW to ensure the unbirthed Piglets survive?

And what can we do to ensure it won't kill them later?

we're based in Akure, In case you have something for us.

Thanks.
Re: Sow Attacking Piglet by Nobody: 3:19am On Jul 23, 2018
I don’t know much about farming but this could be a disease peculiar to pigs.

The first thing you should do is employ the services of a vet as that will be your best and viable option for now.

For information purposes, you can do some research on google, i’m sure something will pop up
Re: Sow Attacking Piglet by jidestroud(m): 8:19am On Jul 23, 2018
There is nothing unusual about it. That is simply a bad sow. All you need to do is put it down. Yes, kill it.
It happens once in a rare while on my farm too where the sow eats up her piglets immediately after delivery. (A very rare occurrence though). What I simply do is kill it as advised by my vet and also many publications online having this same issue.

thanks
Re: Sow Attacking Piglet by mfm04622: 8:26am On Jul 23, 2018
No need wasting your time. Just cull it.
Re: Sow Attacking Piglet by blackaxe78: 8:51am On Jul 23, 2018
That sow wilk be very sweet. Especially when roasted
Re: Sow Attacking Piglet by EhiGid(m): 11:18pm On Sep 11, 2018
Ayemileto:
Please, how can one prevent a sow from attacking piglets during farrowing?

There's this sow we have, few months ago, it gave birth to 8 piglets over night. But we met all the piglets dead the following morning.

Just Now, The SOW has started giving birth again, but unlike the other SOWs, It takes a long time Interval between births to give birth to successive piglets. I witnessed it attack the first piglet and eat a part of it. Some mins(OR hour) later it gave birth to the second Piglet which seem healthy, Just like the first, It attacked this when the piglet approached it for milk.

So far, it has given birth to a third(After something like an hour or more of birthing the first), which we successfully separated from it(By freeing the SOW and locking up the PIGLET) before it can attack.

The SOW is aggressive, and on two occasions after releasing it, I witnessed the eyes turn Red for a brief moment.

Currently, It is sitting in front of the gate to another SOW's house. Can this help in anyway?(I don't want the other sow to learn killing its piglets)

Is there anything(like food) we can give to the surviving piglets? we don't currently have a nursing SOW.

My mum believe it still has 7 piglets it has not giving birth to as the sow's mother birthed 8 piglets first and 10 after.

What do you think we can do for this SOW to ensure the unbirthed Piglets survive?

And what can we do to ensure it won't kill them later?

we're based in Akure, In case you have something for us.

Thanks.

So how did you go about solving the situation
Re: Sow Attacking Piglet by Ayemileto(m): 11:59pm On Sep 11, 2018
EhiGid:

So how did you go about solving the situation

We opened the door of its house and let it roam about.

It gave birth to some other ones outside its house. We were able to separate 5 from it the following day.

The five are fed with baby milk and pap using baby feeder(we don't have another sow with piglets during this time).

So far, only two are left and from what I was told(its being a while I've last checked on them), their growth is slow. Its being some weeks since we've stopped giving them baby milk.

As for the mother, it is already in different septic tanks now.

(1) (Reply)

Current Price Of Palm Oil Per 25L Yellow Keg / Egusi Planting Season / Fuelless Generator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.