Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. (16914 Views)

Delete These Apps Immediately! / You Can Use These Apps If Government Shuts Down The Internet / How Can I Use My MTN SIM In A Foreign Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by TechCapon(m): 11:58am On Jul 23, 2018
TechCapon

The major problem travelers encounter all over the world is the language barrier. The just concluded world cup in Russia attracted people from all over the world and the funny thing is Russia is not even an English speaking country ! So how do people who traveled to the country were able to communicate ? Well, If you understand English language I suggest you count yourself very lucky because it is a very versatile language. Anywhere in the world you go you must find people who understand English language but that doesn’t mean you won’t come up short when travelling to a foreign non-English speaking country. You might want to board a cab and the driver doesn’t understand English and you don’t understand his language. Well worry no more, we have reviewed the best language translation app you need so you don’t have to worry. No need to worry about finding a translator, with these apps installed in your gadgets just embark on your journey with confidence because they have you covered. Most of these apps are available for offline use so no need to worry about internet connection.

1.GOOGLE TRANSLATE

Available on Playstore and Apple store as well, Google’s free service instantly translates words, phrases, and web pages between English and over 100 other languages. This app has been breaking the language barrier fot over 10 years and it’s learning method has only got better over the years. Google has made it’s technology available to developers all around the globe via a public API, which means more savvy translation tools than ever before. It can listen to your voice in addition to reading text. This is the best translation app in the world right now.

2. TRIPLINGO: Talk like a local.

ripLingo is the ultimate tool for international travelers. Learn essential phrases (in four slang levels!), instantly translate your voice or connect to a live translator, get a crash course on the local culture and so much more- all in the app, TRIPLINGO is more than just a translator, TripLingo is a full service travel app aimed at minimizing the language gap while traveling abroad. It offers instant voice- and text-based translations in 42 languages, plus guidelines on local customs so you don’t misbehave and fall victim. Lol. The best feature of this app is feature is the “receipt translation”, which uses your phone’s camera to convert snapshots of sales slips into the language of your choice; it saves the translated versions in PDF formats. Most of it’s features are free however if you want the premium features, you will have to pay a monthly subscription fee of $20 (about N7,500).

3. Microsoft Translator

This app is a MUST HAVE. Microsoft Translator live is a free translation and transcription service that let’s you have translated conversations across multiple devices on iOS, Android and Windows of course. It has over 60 languages and the app was surprisingly accurate. Best of all? It’s free. What I don’t really like about it is that it has only 40 languages for offline use.

4. WAYGO: Best for Asian countries

Whether it’s Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc Waygo has you very much covered on Android, iPhone and Windows. Waygo is the award winning leader in visual translation services, your offline travel translator and dictionary app for Chinese, Japanese and Korean. app is uniquely capable of interpreting sentences, whether they’re displayed vertically or horizontally, and it can translate any image from your camera. Most of Waygo’s features are offline by default, so there’s no need to worry about data charges. All this makes it well worth the price tag, which starts at $7.99. It’s not a free app but it’s worth the money.

5. iTranslate

Turn your smartphone into a translator with iTranslate, I love it very much because of it’s dictionary app capabilities. Easily translate text, websites, or start voice-to-voice conversations in over 100 languages. For me this app is the smartest language translation app in the World right now. It’ll give you text-to-voice translations in a multitude of male and female voices. Most travelers will feel comfortable with the free app, but an upgrade to Pro is required for offline translation in 33 languages. The $4.99 monthly subscription also provides in-app website translation. This app is a little bit biased because it offers special feature for iPhone users like the “object recognition” feature which identifies items and suggests their local name. It’s a free app but the Pro version costs a $5 monthly subscription. All the juicy features are all embedded in the PRO version.

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/travelling-to-a-foreign-country-break-the-language-barrier-with-these-top-10-language-translation-apps/

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by snowland(m): 6:53am On Jul 25, 2018
Anybody that depends on Google Translate to communicate in a foreign land will find himself to blame. Don't say I didn't warn you oo.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Authoreety: 6:53am On Jul 25, 2018
Ok o...

Whenever u plan on using any of ds apps, make sure to have ur panadol extra handy..

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by deepwater(f): 6:53am On Jul 25, 2018
Cool

My stay in asia was very difficult, even with language translating apps. Recall being the only black person on the connecting flight from Dubai to my destination, after my host (Virginia God bless you) on the emirate plane said good bye it was difficult to see someone else who would speak English, French or little Latin. Everyone was just more interested in my skin colour and wooly afro-texture hair. Coming out of the airport arrival into the park, I felt like a living museum as kids were looking jaw dropped and a scene was started almost immediately which luckily for me attracted my chauffeur. Couldn't express the joy when I saw that A4 size paper with the name of my host company body written on it. Thought this would be the end, rather the journey just started.
The chauffeur wouldn't say anything except hello! and continuous offer of cigarettes and bottle water - oga where I dey come from woman no dey smoke cigar oooo grin looked around as we drove by it was like cigarette smoking has been enshrined in their constitution even aged grannies just keep lighting up one stick like every other minutes.

Got to the avani hotel, was welcomed with a cup of rea and dried ginger (that sh.t taste good bro), and a note to wait for a translator. Poor me, my host company executives were in an impromptu meeting at the shipyard. 20 minutes later I was introduced to my translator who actually was an hotel staff on leave but had to to be called back to work for my sake (now that's what I called customer service). Had a chat with the young boy and he told him he learnt English on his own by watching American movies shocked. He is not even educated beyond junior high school. I also recall that guy Barkhad Abdi in the movie captain Phillip who said he learnt English by listening to jay z music's undecided

My country people all this app thing no work o, as it is important you see someone willing to assist u.
Moved to the sofitel Metropole where everyone there speaks at least three foreign languages - not a five star hotel for nothing undecided

At the shipyard, I saw the Nigerian flag flying high and tall actually not in my honour but for the sake of two Nigeria military boats still on the coasters but due for sea trials.

The flying flag gave me some sort of assurance as i was just the only black person there.
Even if I like Biafra of which I am by blood, seeing that Nigeria flag far away in a strange land rekindled some hope within but when you remember the tyrannical government and it's lies and propagandas the hope disappears like a mirage.

By the way, seun I noticed nairaland no longer have page zero (0) since yesterday. Yes, I pay attention to details ....why is this so?. Has the zero page defected to another party? grin

93 Likes

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Firefire(m): 6:54am On Jul 25, 2018
With which data? Roaming data? Then you are finished.

Don’t try to roam your data in countries like Geneva to Access this app., otherwise you will be out of communication in few minutes no matter your credit balance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Paramount01(m): 6:54am On Jul 25, 2018
Toor
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by ibrutex(m): 6:55am On Jul 25, 2018
Google translate is dope very good app ,tested ,efficient and reliable ..........

#ifyouknowyouknow#

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by olametrix(m): 6:55am On Jul 25, 2018
Abeg whr will i go with nigeria passport wt no visa that worrh my time learning new language at this age
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by TechCapon(m): 6:56am On Jul 25, 2018
Firefire:
With which data?
most of them work offline.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Mutemenot(m): 6:57am On Jul 25, 2018
grin op, you forgot to mention Our Lagos internal airport as a major barrier (LOS) .
The unprofessionalism, stealing, torture and extortion going on @ that Airport is alarming .
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by zealz4u(m): 6:57am On Jul 25, 2018
Great apps.... I wish we have apps like this for our local languages cos I'm very interested in learning more Nigerian languages

5 Likes

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by INTROVERT1: 6:57am On Jul 25, 2018
I hope having it on my phone will not create suspicious with this our SARS

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Firefire(m): 6:59am On Jul 25, 2018
TechCapon:
most of them work offline.

Am not sure sir. I will try it out anyway.

But the commonly used Google map requires internet except you already downloaded the offline version.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Samuelaku(m): 6:59am On Jul 25, 2018
Can the app translate Igbo language
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Krak(m): 7:00am On Jul 25, 2018
INTROVERT1:
I hope having it on my phone will not create suspicious with this our SARS

It definitely will.
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by ollah2: 7:01am On Jul 25, 2018
This list is incomplete without Duolingo.

If you use a Samsung phone then Bixby can come to your rescue. Btw, seun silently updated the code for Nairaland to eliminate pages starting from 0.

Brilliant!!

9 Likes

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by mimimile93: 7:04am On Jul 25, 2018
ibrutex:
Google translate is dope very good app ,tested ,efficient and reliable ..........

#ifyouknowyouknow#
sometimes Google translate translates poo. Don't depend on it

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by abumoney(m): 7:04am On Jul 25, 2018
The only one I know here is Google translate. But, the translation sometimes is funny, tho

1 Like

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Exponental(m): 7:05am On Jul 25, 2018
Can it translate core Ekiti, Ondo or Ijebu languages? translator go fear fear oo

1 Like

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by sulemanalex(m): 7:05am On Jul 25, 2018
Bette Learn languages as u possible as u can cos of our various tribal intinations
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by qanda: 7:14am On Jul 25, 2018
Useful article.

Are you preparing to write any exams - O'level, Scholarship, Professional Exams? Source Study materials from Q and A App. Download the App from Google Playstore.
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by lilfreezy: 7:15am On Jul 25, 2018
If you use Google translate, you will just say something that will get you arrested undecided

1 Like

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by DeZoro(m): 7:27am On Jul 25, 2018
Thank you very much for this post. TripLingo is perfect
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by tripoli007(m): 7:37am On Jul 25, 2018
markjeff:
2018 Graduate Trainee Recruitment At United Bank For Africa Plc

Deadline: 01 Aug 2018

United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA) is one of Africa’s leading financial institutions, with operations in 19 African countries and 3 global financial centres: London, Paris and New York. From a single country organisation founded in 1949 in Nigeria, UBA has grown to become a Pan-African provider of financial services with over 11 million customers, through close to 1000 business offices and touch points globally.

Graduate Trainee
Reference #: GTLAG001
Contract Type: Permanent
Job Functions: Banking
Industries: Banking / Finance & Investment

Specification

Are you a graduate? completed NYSC and below 27 years?
Are you looking to start a career with the best financial institution to work in Nigeria?
If yes, we are on the hunt for customer oriented, detailed, result driven and technology savvy young minds who are dynamic and passionate about learning from field experts, to be part of the UBA tribe.
There is a space for you in the UBA Tribe, Join us now!!

Requirements
Educational Qualification:

Minimum Educational level – B.Sc. in any related discipline
Competences:

Excellent customer service orientation
High level of integrity
Good verbal & written communication skills
Selling skills
Focused, Motivated & Results Oriented
Paying attention to details
Good interpersonal skills
Fast and error-free processing
Strong problem resolution skills
Selling & Marketing Skills

Apply through here.

https://ukaid.org/2018/07/24/2018-graduate-trainee-recruitment-at-united-bank-for-africa-plc/

Scammer !! Scammer!!! Scam alert

1 Like

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by lonelydora: 7:48am On Jul 25, 2018
snowland:
Anybody that depends on Google Translate to communicate in a foreign land will find himself to blame. Don't say I didn't warn you oo.
I'm telling you. It messes up every sentence. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 25, 2018
deepwater:
Cool

My stay in asia was very difficult, even with language translating apps. Recall being the only black person on the connecting flight from Dubai to my destination, after my host (Virginia God bless you) on the emirate plane said good bye it was difficult to see someone else who would speak English, French or little Latin. Everyone was just more interested in my skin colour and wooly afro-texture hair. Coming out of the airport arrival into the park, I felt like a living museum as kids were looking jaw dropped and a scene was started almost immediately which luckily for me attracted my chauffeur. Couldn't express the joy when I saw that A4 size paper with the name of my host company body written on it. Thought this would be the end, rather the journey just started.
The chauffeur wouldn't say anything except hello! and continuous offer of cigarettes and bottle water - oga where I dey come from woman no dey smoke cigar oooo grin looked around as we drove by it was like cigarette smoking has been enshrined in their constitution even aged grannies just keep lighting up one stick like every other minutes.

Got to the avani hotel, was welcomed with a cup of rea and dried ginger (that sh.t taste good bro), and a note to wait for a translator. Poor me, my host company executives were in an impromptu meeting at the shipyard. 20 minutes later I was introduced to my translator who actually was an hotel staff on leave but had to to be called back to work for my sake (now that's what I called customer service). Had a chat with the young boy and he told him he learnt English on his own by watching American movies shocked. He is not even educated beyond junior high school. I also recall that guy Barkhad Abdi in the movie captain Phillip who said he learnt English by listening to jay z music's undecided

My country people all this app thing no work o, as it is important you see someone willing to assist u.
Moved to the sofitel Metropole where everyone there speaks at least three foreign languages - not a five star hotel for nothing undecided

Story Story

1 Like

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by abumeinben(m): 7:56am On Jul 25, 2018
Good job at techcapon! However, did you replace Duolingo with triplingo no?

ibrutex:

#ifyouknowyouknow#

I laff you in Google. Little do you know majority of this apps ride on Translate.
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by TechCapon(m): 9:04am On Jul 25, 2018
deepwater:
Cool

At the shipyard, I saw the Nigerian flag flying high and tall actually not in my honour but for the sake of two Nigeria military boats still on the coasters but due for sea trials.

The flying flag gave me some sort of assurance as i was just the only black person there.
Even if I like Biafra of which I am by blood, seeing that Nigeria flag far away in a strange land rekindled some hope within but when you remember the tyrannical government and it's lies and propagandas the hope disappears like a mirage.

By the way, seun I noticed nairaland no longer have page zero (0) since yesterday. Yes, I pay attention to details ....why is the so. Has the zero page defected to another party? grin
lovely experience.

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by olowobaba10: 9:15am On Jul 25, 2018
I DOUBT IF THE OP HAS USED THOSE TRANSLATORS TO TRANSLATE TO OTHER LANGUAGES, YOU WILL HAVE YOURSELF TO BLAME, THEY MOSTLY TRANSLATE WORDS OPPOSITELY OR UPSIDE DOWN MAKING WORDS MEANINGLESS.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Xiaomi Users Only: Screenshot Your Home Wallpaper. / Airtel Nigeria Unveils New Number Range, 0901 / CYBERCRIME: NCC To Regulate Use Of Internet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.