Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair (2837 Views)

Tony Blair At The Nigerian Governor's Forum In Abuja - Photos / Tony Blair Visits Buhari In Abuja (photo) / Dele Momodu, George Bush, Tony Blair & Wole Soyinka Pictured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by batu: 6:41pm On Mar 27, 2007
"Nigerian" Disrupted Church Service To Mark Abolition Of Slavery In London!

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article06/280307

Hi guys,

A man with Nigerian background today disrupted the church service held at St Paul's cathedral to mark the abolition of Slave trade. His name is "Toyin Agbetu"; probably a British of Nigerian.

But I am so so so PROUD of him because he's got guts!!!. He walked in to the church service calmly, beating the security guards at their game, walked to a few feet away from the Queen and screamed SHAME ON YOU ALL, SHAME ON YOU ALL. Then he walked close to Tony Blair and looked him straight in the face and said YOU ARE A DISGRACE. As he was being moved out, he continued shouting, condeming the church service and Britain's refusal to apologise for the horror of slavery, saying the service was merely a memorial servce for William WIlberforce (British politician and anti-slavery campaigner), etc: all caught live on TV!!!.

I asked myself; Is he right or wrong to have disrupted the meeting? Really, I don't know, but he made me so proud because he's got guts men!!. That is the no-nonsense Nigerian blood in him.

Compared to the Ghanaians who were playing drums at the service to 'entertain' the Queen and the rest.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article06/280307
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by kobe(m): 3:19am On Mar 28, 2007
And you hail this person on what basis?
I was always taught to put God before Man.

Even if he felt the need to pursue another agenda, he should have picked a better time.
Ludicrous.

I don't understand why Tony Blair has to apologize for an occurence that probably preceeded his existence.
If he feels the obligation, fine, if he doesn't, fine, and that's on the "personal level"

As far as the "head of state" is concerned, perhaps you require a "national" apology?
For how long must the national apology continue? What next? A 500-year apology?
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by lewa(m): 3:39am On Mar 28, 2007
Read it on BBC~was impressed!Despite Blair's "apology" and the Church's lukewarm attitude what next?Reparations?Debt forgiveness?Millions suffer till today as a result of the heartless trafficking of their forebearers whats Blair gonna do?
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by naijacutee(f): 4:09am On Mar 28, 2007
Why are you guys impressed that someone has no regards whatsoever for God, that he would walk in on a worship service and falsely accuse people for what they didn't do? Let's face it, horrible as these crimes were, it's really over!!!. Please let's move forward and not let afro-eccentricity get the best of us. It's true that there must be someone to blame in every misfortune, but in this case, I think it would be better to move forward.

Even if it was a memorial service for Wilberforce, couldn't Tony Blair and the queen be in their rights for acknowledging that the guy brought an end to a great evil?
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by Nobody: 4:17am On Mar 28, 2007
This isn't about God and the service was way more about William Wilberforce than about God. I support what the man did 100%!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by kobe(m): 4:40am On Mar 28, 2007
OP, can you elaborate on this matter? Perhaps a little more articulation would help.

As far as my comprehension is concerned on what has been put forth, William was an advocate for Slavery Abolition.

You said he was being celebrated/honored at the church service for his good deeds/pioneering adjunct/ordeal with respect to what he did to help ratify slave trade or something of that sort.

If that is the case, the service should have been constructed in a manner that portrays a celebration/thanks to Williams' work for helping Britain realize the immorality of slavery, as well as an empathy on Great Britain's part for its role in the slave trade. If the service was conducted that way, then I have no problem with it.
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by mamaput(f): 8:57am On Mar 28, 2007
God hells those that help themselves we cannot all sit on our hands and wait for Manner from heaven.We may as well al stop working.
I find it very funny something for people to think about.
Even if i feel it all happened so long ago there are others that do not. Lets not stop them
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by naijacutee(f): 9:19am On Mar 28, 2007
Ok, to the supporters : Why has this man done good, and what benefits would his actions have on us Africans?

On another note : Most Nigerians parents have employed house-helps at one point or the other. It is true that they probably didn't padlock their mouths or cramp them up in a ship but what would be your reaction if at 50, these househelps kids came and insulted you repeatedly, over what your parents did to theirs? (Even after you had apologised on behalf of your parents)

Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by Ndipe(m): 10:16am On Mar 28, 2007
People need to get over this ugly chapter that has bedeviled the black world for hundreds of years. As long as people keep dwelling on the injustices of the past, then, the shackles of bitterness would hover us and stall our progress. Geez, give it a break. I admire William Wilberforce, for his stance against slavery, and ironically, some of the black men, who are demanding for an apology, may have descended from family whose ancestors may have been involved in this tragic episode, in exchange for material goods.
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by naijacutee(f): 1:35pm On Mar 28, 2007
Thank you, Ndipe. If we were to weigh the balances accurately, some of our ancestors were traitors and sold humans in exchange for material goods.
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by naijacutee(f): 1:53pm On Mar 28, 2007
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by toshmann(m): 2:00pm On Mar 28, 2007
someone said we must not live in the past. i agree. but not when the present day injustice is a constant reminder of the past horrors. i once argued in this forum about 2 types of slavery, physical and economic. one is past, another is present, both are horrible, but one is worse. see this, over 12 million slaves were exported from africa, over 400yrs, about 18% died along the way, some more died while in the americas. today at least 2 million people die in africa alone from causes related to poverty. if the trend continues, in 400yrs about 800million people will die.
the US and the UK etc are sitting on this global economy the ensures this poverty. and someone says it is not worse today.
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by toshmann(m): 2:05pm On Mar 28, 2007
end of slavery did not become the begining of freedom. 200yrs after slavery we are yet to find freedom. today in cardiff, the white lady in a shop expects me to be a crook. young black males are expected to be uneducated unemployable vagabonds only fit for sex.

try looking for a job, if ur color doesn't stop you, your accent will. anyway, the poverty in africa can only go when the rulers of the global economy decide to quench global inequality, . . . . . if they ever decide to do so.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by toshmann(m): 2:09pm On Mar 28, 2007
and why cant they make a public apology. why cant the UK apologise? angry the foundations of the british economy was laid on the back of black slaves especially from jamaica. on sunday here in cardiff they took us to some phoney conference to celebrate the end of slavery yet after all the talk nothing changes.

they even acknowledged how the slave labor benefitted the welsh economy. so why not apologise angry what do they take blacks for. insult upon injury angry
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 28, 2007
The whole world appologised to Isreal for an offence commited only by Germans.
Even Nigerians fought in a world war that was not about them at all! All to save Eastern Europe and the jews from impending annihilation by the nazis.
Isreal has since been paid reparations for the holocaust!

And yet my fellow African brothers are saying let us forgive and forget! you only forgive those who say they are sorry not those who tell you to get on with it!
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by 4Play(m): 4:24pm On Mar 28, 2007
I hope when you guys are calling for the UK to apologise you remember that our ancestors willingly sold slaves and would have continued to sell slaves.In some cases,they had to be forced to stop.

I believe that the Ghanaian Govt did apologise for slavery.

We as Africans have had the institutions of slavery since time immemorial and probably would still have it,had it not been for colonisation.

Nobody owes us an apology.Any apology is owed to descendants of ex-slaves and we are just as liable to give one as are the former slave importing nations
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by oyinboaja: 5:16pm On Mar 28, 2007
An apology might help to bring people to the reality of the fact that they are living off the rewards of past inhumanity towards black people.

I am not a fanatic of the apology thing but i cannot deny the right of those who agitate for such. I have not come across any white British person who shows any remorse and understand for the plight of those who suffered the atrocities; not that it would rectify what's already been done but it's surely a way of appeasing people who may have suffered injustice.

I actually like Toyin Agbetu and I log onto his site regularly http://www.ligali.org/

I may not be able to do what he did but I always commend people who have no fear in doing what they feel is the right thing to do. Too many of us are too scared to do what our consciences tell us to do.

For that, Toyin has my respect.
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by oyinboaja: 5:19pm On Mar 28, 2007
to those who say we also participated, I pose a question: Could any African have stopped the whiteman when he landed in Africa with his sophisticated murder weapons?

It is on record that some Africans who even tried to rebel against certain white-instigated principles and impositions were 'dealt with'.

People wey never sabi dey talk wetin dem no sabi, bad thing
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by oyinboaja: 5:23pm On Mar 28, 2007
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by tpia: 6:25pm On Mar 28, 2007
oyinboaja:

to those who say we also participated, I pose a question: Could any African have stopped the whiteman when he landed in Africa with his sophisticated murder weapons?

It is on record that some Africans who even tried to rebel against certain white-instigated principles and impositions were 'dealt with'.

People wey never sabi dey talk wetin them no sabi, bad thing

well, maybe I heard right or maybe I  heard wrong, but I read somewhere that the Kikuyu of Kenya regularly conducted raids on slave caravans passing through their territory.
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by NINETOFIVE(m): 7:11pm On Mar 28, 2007
The guy as far am concerned is a hero any day any time, some one was talking about having respect for the church service, during the days of slavery they equally conducted church services, but it didn't affect the horrible trade, they could be avoiding offering apologies on national level for legal reasons, cause it would definitely lead or trigger the demand for a sort of reparation, the Jews got compensated cause their state of mind is important to the Europeans but that of the Africans and the whole of the black race is unimportant supposedly, there were some Jews that took German names and brandished themselves as Germans and even worked with germans as a matter of cant help just to escape persecution, and so were African that were the so called Africans that aided slavery for obvious reason. some one has to be very brain washed not to agree with this young man.
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by oyinboaja: 7:18pm On Mar 28, 2007
NINETOFIVE:

The guy as far am concerned is a hero any day any time, some one was talking about having respect for the church service, during the days of slavery they equally conducted church services, but it didn't affect the horrible trade, they could be avoiding offering apologies on national level for legal reasons, cause it would definitely lead or trigger the demand for a sort of reparation, the Jews got compensated cause their state of mind is important to the Europeans but that of the Africans and the whole of the black race is unimportant supposedly, there were some Jews that took German names and brandished themselves as Germans and even worked with germans as a matter of can't help just to escape persecution, and so were African that were the so called Africans that aided slavery for obvious reason. some one has to be very brain washed not to agree with this young man.

I heard (unconfirmed) that slaves were taken by the whiteman during some so called church services
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by sisimose(f): 8:04pm On Mar 28, 2007
That man is my hero, a true African. I support what he did 100 +10% there are talkers and there are doers in this world and yes Britain remains silent over slavery till today, that service was not about God or forgiveness, it was about singing a load of ancient English Hymns,and muttering emotionless prayer in unionism.

Yes that man said what many feel, he brought me to tears cause what he said was true, They refuse to say simple SORRY , we don't even want money

Here is a final thought for all my brothers and sisters, do you know that on the abolition of slave trade , the British govt kept in it's treasury a lump sum of over 1 Billion pounds for compensation to the slave owners(yes for their loss of property). some abolition that was. Did the slaves themselves who were left to rot on the streets of Britain get a farthing? NO not a penny!

Slavery is not dead and buried it is still alive and raw, it is alive when the queen refuses to say simple SORRY. The church took a small step which was ok, but how many Britons are Christians these days or believe a word of the LORDS PRAYER? Slavery is alive when many of our young are not given a fair chance in England to schools, to jobs, to a decent life. It is not as cold and staunch as America the racism but it is very very very systematic and institutional, go to a Doctors practice and see how they treat Black people differently.

Wake up.
One love Africans i plead (no i am not RACIST BEFORE YOU JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS)
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by Horus(m): 9:53pm On Mar 28, 2007
They refuse to say simple SORRY 

The Devil will never say:SORRY

Very rare pictures of slaves

Nubians (Africans) weren’t brought right here to this country (America). They were first dropped off in the West Indian islands, in the Caribbean. Why? This was the breaking in grounds. They would break them down there. When they broke them, then they would bring the ones whose spirit had been broken on to the hells of America.
They had all kinds of tactics for breaking them in. They bred fear into them. It is written in one book how the slave maker (kidnapper) used to take a pregnant Nubian (African) woman and make here watch as her man would be tortured and put to death. Some of those slave makers had trees that they planted in positions where they would bend them and tie them, then tie the head of a Nubian (African) man to one, his hand to the other and his legs to two more, then he’d cut the rope. When he cut the rope, that tree would snap him up into four different parts. That’s why when you get in front of the caucasians, you start to scratch, you start grinning, and you don’t know why, it was bred into you.
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by sisimose(f): 10:04pm On Mar 28, 2007
painful
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by NINETOFIVE(m): 10:22pm On Mar 28, 2007
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by sisimose(f): 11:01pm On Mar 28, 2007
NINE
what was there not to read? we know the story already. Britain has not really changed , infact it is getting worse. see the ignorant comments, just few of the queen's finest for you smiley sad!
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by Nobody: 11:13pm On Mar 28, 2007
@Horus

PLEASE Nubian and African are not interchangeable. Not every black man is a Nubian so calling me a Nubian is sort of offensive and neglects my true roots.

davidylan:

The whole world appologised to Isreal for an offence commited only by Germans.
Even Nigerians fought in a world war that was not about them at all! All to save Eastern Europe and the jews from impending annihilation by the nazis.
Isreal has since been paid reparations for the holocaust!

And yet my fellow African brothers are saying let us forgive and forget! you only forgive those who say they are sorry not those who tell you to get on with it!

Good one David. I wonder how anoyone expects anyone to forgive and forget without first APOLOGISING.

We have the normal idiots telling us we should remember Africans participated, I'll like someone to give me a name of an African trader atleast. You mean Africans went to the white man and said, we'll give you slaves for whatever you have? Yeah right!
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by kobe(m): 12:05am On Mar 29, 2007
Apologize, say sorry, apologize, say sorry, they need to do it in front of tv, they need to be held accountable for the heinous crimes they committed agains our ancestors, this, that,
OK, sure.

Even after all these sorries, how much more  is necessary, that is what i'd like to ask.

Apologies or not, what happened, has happened.  It's better to start thinking of ways to prevent it from happening ever again, and to institute laws that prevent blatant skin-color imposed limitations & hatred (there are some, but it'll hopefully get there eventually).

Situations are a lot more improved now, compared to what they were during those gruesome times.  Thanks to people like William, MLK, [insert the name here].

A colleague of mine told me about the sad story of a young man who was killed a few weeks back, by a reckless driver, on Nigeria's road, the driver tried to run away, he was caught- the family of the deceased decided to let the driver walk no legal actions or anything the likes.  Citing that no sorries will bring their son back.

Or try to imagine a woman who refuses to move on with her life on the basis that a man used her, abused her, cheated on her, yet he continues living his life, doing the same thing he did to woman A, to another woman B. When asked why woman A has refused to move on, she says, "well he hasn't said sorry."

I meanslavery isn't comparable to my above post, but think about what's being infered.
Apologies are atimes over-rated IMO.
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by NINETOFIVE(m): 1:02am On Mar 29, 2007
The ability to absorb every crap written on the internet is a quality every one should have.
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by mazaje(m): 9:14am On Mar 29, 2007
Apology isnt what we need but a total change of direction and focus, the white people alone are not to be blamed for slavery and slave trading most of the slaves were sold out by their african brothers for selfish purpose . why are there no Chinese/Japanese or Arabian slaves? because there was unity amogst them when the white people went to their lands and they refused to sell them selves to the white people. we are responsible for slave trading because we sold our selves out if we didnt slave trading wouldnt have started in the first place . we allowed the white people to build slave stations in our lands and we helped them in capturing and enslaving ourselves so who's fault is it?

Just for a pair of bicycle ,cigarrete or a mirror a village king at that time will sell over 1000 people into slavery with out thinking and caring about what will happen to them and we are out here crying and shouting that the white people did us wrong when we were the ones that did our selves wrong, they only capitalised on our greed ,selfishness and stupidity to build an emipre with our sweat and agony. salvery has long been in existance before the coming of the white people , most of the captured slaves were already slaves back in africa before they were being sold out. Most of the kings strongest gaurds were used to capture people of other tribes and sell them out .brothers sold brothers just for some few 'gifts' from the white men. i still believe that if the kingdoms at that time fought against the white people they wouldnt have taken any body into slavery rather the kings encouraged the act allowing and helping the slave masters to build slave stations and ships for conveying slaves in their lands. no body is talking about that, people are only talking about the act of slavery and not what lead to the act which i personally beileve is wrong.

Thats that about the slavery that happened over 200 years ago what am interested in is the modern day salvery that is going on today. our african leaders are enslaving us badly the leaders will conspire with the white people and rape their countries and it's citizenry to a point of no return and when the time comes for pointing out the wrong doer all we do is blame the white people instead of blaming them. They will loot all the public treasury and we will still hail and priase them for a job well done. look at what is happening in Dafur,Zimbabuwe, and Equatorial Guniea that to me is worse than what so many slaves went through in the hands of the white people 200 years ago and no body is talking about that instead every body is pointing fingers towards the white man's direction (which is all we know how to do) blame others for our madness and evil on each other.
Re: Nigerian Challenges Queen Elizabeth And Tony Blair by oyinboaja: 9:18am On Mar 29, 2007
kobe:

Apologize, say sorry, apologize, say sorry, they need to do it in front of tv, they need to be held accountable for the heinous crimes they committed agains our ancestors, this, that,
OK, sure.

Even after all these sorries, how much more is necessary, that is what i'd like to ask.

Apologies or not, what happened, has happened. It's better to start thinking of ways to prevent it from happening ever again, and to institute laws that prevent blatant skin-color imposed limitations & hatred (there are some, but it'll hopefully get there eventually).

Situations are a lot more improved now, compared to what they were during those gruesome times. Thanks to people like William, MLK, [insert the name here].

A colleague of mine told me about the sad story of a young man who was killed a few weeks back, by a reckless driver, on Nigeria's road, the driver tried to run away, he was caught- the family of the deceased decided to let the driver walk no legal actions or anything the likes. Citing that no sorries will bring their son back.

Or try to imagine a woman who refuses to move on with her life on the basis that a man used her, abused her, cheated on her, yet he continues living his life, doing the same thing he did to woman A, to another woman B. When asked why woman A has refused to move on, she says, "well he hasn't said sorry."

I meanslavery isn't comparable to my above post, but think about what's being infered.
Apologies are atimes over-rated IMO.

And your point is

I maintain that the reason Black people in Britain still exist on the wrong end of the economic and social polar is because the white establishment still considers it ok to discriminate against people based on their skin colours, albeit subtly and discretely.

That is why you're hardly ever going to find white people who are genuinely in supprt of a black person who's been wronged as a result of his colour. It is ingrained in them to see you as sub-human and a step forward would be for them to acknowledge that the black man is human and therefore deserves an apology for the wrongs done to him.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria - Ibb Begs: Please Give Me Another Chance / Youth Lunch With Jonathan Turns Into Another Bribe-Fest / Armoured Car Controversy: What Is Your Definition Of Corruption?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.