Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From (42490 Views)

Innoson: I Received Order For $4.7m Cars From SierraLeon As NASS Rejects My Cars / Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria / How To Import Cars From USA To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by erico2k2(m): 4:24pm On Jul 24, 2018
frozen70:

People ship there cars to cotonou because of cheap clearance and nothing else.
These days its illegal.
Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by Germandude: 4:58pm On Jul 24, 2018
Importing cars from Europe is 700 not 450
Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by Bouncingbabyboy(m): 4:58pm On Jul 24, 2018
Vizzy4u:
who b dis one again? When cotonou don turn country?... Go tru d topic n c
it's under Benin republic....I stay there
Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by Bouncingbabyboy(m): 4:59pm On Jul 24, 2018
peacealways:
l need a bus nice that not too expensive any help
yup...
Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 24, 2018
Bouncingbabyboy:
it's under Benin republic....I stay there
so what re u saying?

Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by computerglobal(m): 5:43pm On Jul 24, 2018
canalily:
This my bike is made in Nigeria

grin
Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by mybestlove(m): 6:23pm On Jul 24, 2018
erico2k2:

nop you are wrong, nothing like this exist, completion limits the use of American cars plus their Engine is too big fuel cost x2 in the EU than in America. We have loads of American cars here in the Uk however the Uk produce x2 makes and model of cars than America, if you look at it, what are the American cars?
You're absolutely wrong. I lived in Italy for 18 years, till 2016 and I studied at the MCTC Bologna for the Italian driving licence. We were taught what I stated earlier. Apart from protection of Europe auto manufacturers, the cost of energy was another reason. Yes, American brands exist in Europe, Jeep, Chrysler, dodge etc but they are not made with those 4.0 and 4.5 engines they carry in America

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by erico2k2(m): 6:53pm On Jul 24, 2018
mybestlove:

You're absolutely wrong. I lived in Italy for 18 years, till 2016 and I studied at the MCTC Bologna for the Italian driving licence. We were taught what I stated earlier. Apart from protection of Europe auto manufacturers, the cost of energy was another reason. Yes, American brands exist in Europe, Jeep, Chrysler, dodge etc but they are not made with those 4.0 and 4.5 engines they carry in America
Ok well of you say I'm wrong oz post link to your claim cos something so meaningful must be law . I'm waiting !
PS the Jeep Gran chirokee has a 4 ltr Engine the V8
Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by jman77(m): 7:50pm On Jul 24, 2018
You be suprised at the level of bombs G guys had thrown to sites,rendering yours cast. cheesy
paranorman:
Thanks for those websites. grin grin
Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 24, 2018
kennosklint:
Big lie

Which part b lie?
Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by igbanbajo(m): 6:57am On Jul 25, 2018
AutoJoshNG:

Back in the days, a large number of cars on Nigerian roads were imported from Europe. However, the tide has changed gradually and "American spec" has become today's cliche. Without an iota of doubt, most of our cars now come from USA.

Today, Autojosh.com is bringing you the top 5 countries Nigerians source cars from as well as the estimated cost of shipping cars from those countries.

United States of America (USA)

The number of cars imported from USA is more than all other countries combined. From Nigerian ports statistics, it is estimated to be about 75% of total car imports. There are several reasons we get lots of imports from here. Some of these reasons are: Availability of varieties, ease of importing cars from USA even if you reside in Nigeria as well as our love for cheap deals from USA car auctions. Several car dealers also buy their cars from USA online auctions. Another reason for this influx is the fact that cars are usually sent home by the large number of Nigerians who reside there.

Cost of shipping from US ports to Nigeria is $750, however, the cost is $950 from Galveston port in Texas.  Trucking cost depends on how far the car is from the closest US port of exit. The least I've paid for trucking is $100 while the max I've paid is $1,495 from Sacramento, California.

Some of the popular websites people search and buy their cars are: cars.com, copart.com,  autotrader mobile app, iaai.com and auctionexport.com

Germany

If you are hell-bent on buying a Peugeot or a Toyota Avensis from USA, the Lord is your strength. However, these cars are found in abundance in Germany and other European countries. Anytime you see a fully loaded car coming out of the Nigerian ports, that's an easy giveaway that that car is just landing from Europe. Some people buy these cars especially the older models just to use them as a box to convey goods to Nigeria.

Shipping cost from Germany to Lagos is also about €340 (Euros).

Some of the popular websites to check cars here are mobile.de, autoscout24.de, autoscout24.com and ooyyo.com

Belgium

Belgium is home of Antwerp Seaport which is the second busiest seaport in Europe after Rotterdam in Netherlands. Several Nigerian bound cars are also trucked to this port from neighbouring European countries before being loaded on a ship.

Shipping cost from Belgium to Lagos is €325 for cars , €425 for small vans and €750 for big vans.  You will also pay €65 (Euros) to courier the documents of the vehicle.

You can check cars available for sale in Belgium on these websites: gocar.be, autoscout24.com and ooyyo.com

Canada

Some cars are cheaper in Canada compared to USA but cost of shipping to Nigeria from Canada can be higher. People also take advantage of the better exchange rate of about N280/Canadian Dollar as against the N360/US Dollar. We expect an increase in the rate cars that will be heading to Nigeria from Canada with the current rate at which Nigerians are relocating to Canada through Express Entry.

One year ago, I got a cheap 2005 Toyota Echo from Copart auction in Halifax. The price was $306 USD. I trucked it to the port for $160 USD and paid $1,350 USD ocean freight to Nigeria. Kindly tell us in the comment section if you have a shipping company that offers lower rates.

These are some websites for searching cars in Canada.. autotrader.ca and kijiji.ca as well as auctions like Copart.

United Arab Emirates (UAE)

UAE is home to many beautiful and luxury automobiles. Some popular vehicles that are imported from UAE are: Prado, Land Cruiser, Lexus LX570, Pajero, Hilux, Hiace etc.. because some of these vehicles are scarce or non-existent in USA.

Cost of shipping a car from UAE to Nigeria is about $750. Some companies also ship and clear your car through Nigeria Customs at a pre-determined rate. In this case, you'll just pick your car at their warehouse in Lagos.

Cars can be shopped from uae.dubizzle.com, dubicars.com, uae.yallamotor.com etc.

Note that any car you are buying may have been tampered with e.g mileage roll-back, repaired accident, flooded cars etc. This is why you are advised to do a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) check to determine the history of the car you are about to buy.

Don't forget to like, rate, share and tell us the country your car came from. For some of us, it might be China, United Kingdom, South Africa, Japan etc.

https://autojosh.com/top-5-countries-nigerians-import-cars-from/

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by Burchester: 1:55am On Aug 05, 2018
Wow
Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by erico2k2(m): 1:19pm On Aug 05, 2018
OP you forgot UK
Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by ottersberger(m): 12:36pm On Aug 08, 2018
mybestlove:

All manufacturing economies protects its market albeit in subtle ways. You can't be seen to be practicing protectionism ala Donald Trump lest you will be met with retaliative tariffs.

Here in Germany, to import a vehicle in the car category from the US or anywhere for that matter, follows a 10% import duty tariff based on purchase invoice, and an additional 19% VAT taxation on that same invoice amount and the cost of shipping and handling in the country of origin.

Similarly, a truck, (an SUV) will attract a 15% import duty tariff based on purchase invoice, and an additional 19% VAT taxation on that same invoice amount and the cost of shipping and handling in the country of origin.

Germany is the leading premium vehicle exporter in Europe. The restriction known here regarding vehicle importation is the ABE (Allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis). US Vehicles do not possess this certification and without which, a motor Vehicle cannot be operated in Germany.

The ABE regulates what standards to meet in order for a Motor vehicle to operate here, e.g emissions and light standards. Therefore, a vehicle imported from the United States for example will need to be physically examined not only by customs inspectors, but also a technical organisation known here as TÜV (Technischer Überwachungsverein).

This serves to determine weather the vehicle meets the set emission threshold and which tier, as the yearly vehicle taxation practiced in this country is based both on Vehicle emission efficiency and Engine Volume (cm3). There are additional costs associated with this examination and certification.

Pursuant to the above, we can conclude that no hard restriction exists. The stiff taxation of bigger Engine volume and the resultant higher emission was designed to protect the environment and also reduce the demand a higher fuel consumption will place on the national economy.

Since, the average European appears to be Frugal in comparison to his US counterpart, we tend to opt for moderate motorization both because of the financial burden and a sense of ecological conservation as a result of government policy.

This is smart restrictive measure.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by jman77(m): 10:34am On Sep 16, 2018
OP,you didn't tell us how the transaction was carried out. Did you inspect the said imported vehicle in person? or someone did it for you over there, or you just based your trust on VIN check before payment? Method of payment to seller of vehicle and shipping company?
Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by sonety2k(m): 2:28pm On Sep 16, 2018
Wow
Re: Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From by Shila16: 3:38am On Apr 18, 2019
AutoJoshNG:

Back in the days, a large number of cars on Nigerian roads were imported from Europe. However, the tide has changed gradually and "American spec" has become today's cliche. Without an iota of doubt, most of our cars now come from USA.

Today, Autojosh.com is bringing you the top 5 countries Nigerians source cars from as well as the estimated cost of shipping cars from those countries.

United States of America (USA)

The number of cars imported from USA is more than all other countries combined. From Nigerian ports statistics, it is estimated to be about 75% of total car imports. There are several reasons we get lots of imports from here. Some of these reasons are: Availability of varieties, ease of importing cars from USA even if you reside in Nigeria as well as our love for cheap deals from USA car auctions. Several car dealers also buy their cars from USA online auctions. Another reason for this influx is the fact that cars are usually sent home by the large number of Nigerians who reside there.

Cost of shipping from US ports to Nigeria is $750, however, the cost is $950 from Galveston port in Texas.  Trucking cost depends on how far the car is from the closest US port of exit. The least I've paid for trucking is $100 while the max I've paid is $1,495 from Sacramento, California.

Some of the popular websites people search and buy their cars are: cars.com, copart.com,  autotrader mobile app, iaai.com and auctionexport.com

Germany

If you are hell-bent on buying a Peugeot or a Toyota Avensis from USA, the Lord is your strength. However, these cars are found in abundance in Germany and other European countries. Anytime you see a fully loaded car coming out of the Nigerian ports, that's an easy giveaway that that car is just landing from Europe. Some people buy these cars especially the older models just to use them as a box to convey goods to Nigeria.

Shipping cost from Germany to Lagos is also about €340 (Euros).

Some of the popular websites to check cars here are mobile.de, autoscout24.de, autoscout24.com and ooyyo.com

Belgium

Belgium is home of Antwerp Seaport which is the second busiest seaport in Europe after Rotterdam in Netherlands. Several Nigerian bound cars are also trucked to this port from neighbouring European countries before being loaded on a ship.

Shipping cost from Belgium to Lagos is €325 for cars , €425 for small vans and €750 for big vans.  You will also pay €65 (Euros) to courier the documents of the vehicle.

You can check cars available for sale in Belgium on these websites: gocar.be, autoscout24.com and ooyyo.com

Canada

Some cars are cheaper in Canada compared to USA but cost of shipping to Nigeria from Canada can be higher. People also take advantage of the better exchange rate of about N280/Canadian Dollar as against the N360/US Dollar. We expect an increase in the rate cars that will be heading to Nigeria from Canada with the current rate at which Nigerians are relocating to Canada through Express Entry.

One year ago, I got a cheap 2005 Toyota Echo from Copart auction in Halifax. The price was $306 USD. I trucked it to the port for $160 USD and paid $1,350 USD ocean freight to Nigeria. Kindly tell us in the comment section if you have a shipping company that offers lower rates.

These are some websites for searching cars in Canada.. autotrader.ca and kijiji.ca as well as auctions like Copart.

United Arab Emirates (UAE)

UAE is home to many beautiful and luxury automobiles. Some popular vehicles that are imported from UAE are: Prado, Land Cruiser, Lexus LX570, Pajero, Hilux, Hiace etc.. because some of these vehicles are scarce or non-existent in USA.

Cost of shipping a car from UAE to Nigeria is about $750. Some companies also ship and clear your car through Nigeria Customs at a pre-determined rate. In this case, you'll just pick your car at their warehouse in Lagos.

Cars can be shopped from uae.dubizzle.com, dubicars.com, uae.yallamotor.com etc.

Note that any car you are buying may have been tampered with e.g mileage roll-back, repaired accident, flooded cars etc. This is why you are advised to do a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) check to determine the history of the car you are about to buy.

Don't forget to like, rate, share and tell us the country your car came from. For some of us, it might be China, United Kingdom, South Africa, Japan etc.

https://autojosh.com/top-5-countries-nigerians-import-cars-from/

am kinda interested in importing a Toyota corolla through a friend in the uk, is this possible?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Made Vehicles To Be Ready Soon, Nigerians Can Buy, Pay In 5-Year Plan / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying Your Car From Cotonou / Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.