Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,452 members, 7,781,306 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:10 PM

Mary Is Not The Mother Of God - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mary Is Not The Mother Of God (20872 Views)

Reno Omokri Replies Christians On 'Jesus Mother Of Mary' Mosque / Catholic Are 100% Right By Saying Mary Is The Mother Of GOD! / There Is A Logical Fallacy In The Argument That Mary Is The Mother Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 2:19pm On Sep 13, 2018
solite3:
what I meant is Jesus only relationship with Mary is through the flesh nothing more.
there are differences between Jesus as God and as a man.
these two natures did not mix.
Jesus as a man has a beginning and that is through Mary but Jesus as God had no beginning hence Mary is never the mother of God but of the man Jesus.
when Mary gave birth to Jesus did she give birth to a flesh alone Jesus or the whole Jesus spirit, body, soul and divinity?

4 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 2:25pm On Sep 13, 2018
budaatum:

Next time anyone tells me God is an uncaused uncaused, or however they put it, I'm quoting you!

God is Mary's son. She named him Jesus.
he is the uncaused cause and when he came as man he was born of Mary.

3 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 13, 2018
Ubenedictus:
when Mary gave birth to Jesus did she give birth to a flesh alone Jesus or the whole Jesus spirit, body, soul and divinity?
Jesus flesh took origin from Mary not his unchangeable divine nature.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 6:36pm On Sep 13, 2018
solite3:
Jesus flesh took origin from Mary not his unchangeable divine nature.
did your spirit take origin from your parents or is it from God?

I didn't ask the origin of anything, I asked,

when Mary gave birth to Jesus was it just the flesh of Jesus that she gave birth to or the full Jesus body, spirit and divinity?

nobody thus far has claimed that Mary is the origin of Jesus divine nature, the question is whether or not Mary gave birth to the flesh alone or the whole Jesus

2 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 13, 2018
Ubenedictus:
did your spirit take origin from your parents or is it from God?

I didn't ask the origin of anything, I asked,

when Mary gave birth to Jesus was it just the flesh of Jesus that she gave birth to or the full Jesus body, spirit and divinity?

nobody thus far has claimed that Mary is the origin of Jesus divine nature, the question is whether or not Mary gave birth to the flesh alone or the whole Jesus

Mary gave birth to the man Jesus only not his divine nature.
one cannot claim to the father or mother of the child that did not originate from him or her, so you cannot say Mary is the mother of God since God didn't originated from her.

for your question, my mother is not the mother of my spirit after death the relationship of mother and child no longer holds.
she became a mother on earth and on earth it ends.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 13, 2018
Ubenedictus:
he is the uncaused cause and when he came as man he was born of Mary.
did Jesus uncaused nature change after incernation? how come Jesus said before Abraham he was already existing? and yet he was young, learn to separate Jesus human nature from his divine nature and you are on your way to understanding the scripture.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by MuttleyLaff: 10:18pm On Sep 13, 2018
solite3:
one cannot claim to the father or mother of the child that did not originate from him or her,
so you cannot say Mary is the mother of God since God didn't originated from her.

for your question, my mother is not the mother of my spirit after death the relationship of mother and child no longer holds.
♪ ♬ Mary did you know, when you kiss your little Baby, you kissed the face of God?♩ ♫

Why are you so bent on denying Mary her motherhood?
You can say Mary is the mother of God since she mothered God incarnate
She brought up the God incarnate child
She kissed the face of the God incarnate child with care and affection
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 6:53am On Sep 14, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
♪ ♬ Mary did you know, when you kiss your little Baby, you kissed the face of God?♩ ♫

Why are you so bent on denying Mary her motherhood?
You can say Mary is the mother of God since she mothered God incarnate
She brought up the God incarnate child
She kissed the face of the God incarnate child with care and affection

is there any place in the bible where Mary was called mother of God?
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Gggg102(m): 6:55am On Sep 14, 2018
solite3:

one cannot claim to the father or mother of the child that did not originate from him or her, so you cannot say Mary is the mother of God since God didn't originated from her.

where was spirit Jesus when Mary was giving birth to flesh Jesus?

where was your spirit when you were in your mother?

giving birth to does not = creating the person.
Mary gave birth to God is not the same as Mary created God.

your mother gave birth to you doesn't mean your mother created you.

God is uncreated and he came into the world through a woman. that means God was born of a woman because, the person through whom you entered the world gave birth to you, and is your mother(not your creator/originator)

2 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by MuttleyLaff: 7:09am On Sep 14, 2018
solite3:
is there any place in the bible where Mary was called mother of God?
"Why am I so honored, that the mother of my Lord should visit me?"
- Luke 1:43

Yes, Luke 1:43 above
Now tell. Who and what is your Owner/Creator called?
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 8:34am On Sep 14, 2018
solite3:
did Jesus uncaused nature change after incernation? how come Jesus said before Abraham he was already existing? and yet he was young, learn to separate Jesus human nature from his divine nature and you are on your way to understanding the scripture.
this should help you, it is from the anathasian creed.

29. Furthermore it is necessary to everlasting salvation that he also believe rightly the incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ.
30. For the right faith is that we believe and confess that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and man.
31. God of the substance of the Father, begotten before the worlds; and man of substance of His mother, born in the world.
32. Perfect God and perfect man, of a reasonable soul and human flesh subsisting.
33. Equal to the Father as touching His Godhead, and inferior to the Father as touching His manhood.
34. Who, although He is God and man, yet He is not two, but one Christ.
35. One, not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh, but by taking of that manhood into God.
36. One altogether, not by confusion of substance, but by unity of person.
37. For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man, so God and man is one Christ;
38. Who suffered for our salvation, descended into hell, rose again the third day from the dead;
39. He ascended into heaven, He sits on the right hand of the Father, God, Almighty;
40. From thence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
41. At whose coming all men shall rise again with their bodies;
42. and shall give account of their own works.
43. And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting and they that have done evil into everlasting fire.

his uncaused divine nature didn't change, he who is God took to himself human nature in the womb of the virgin Mary and in his one person is both God and man without forsaking his divine nature or losing it or intermingling it. he is God and since his incarnation he is both God and man, and Mary gave birth to him, one person possessing two natures.

I already know how to separate Jesus human nature from his divine nature, heck it is we Catholics who defined the doctrine of the hypostatic union you guy simply came later and adopted it. it is I who should tell you to learn more about it.

the topic of the thread still remains, God took flesh in the womb of Mary and was born Jesus,God and man. Mary gave birth to a son who had two natures, she bore and birthed to God incarnate (God in human nature). she is his mother, you can't dodge it. funny enough the same council the set forth the hypostatic union also affirmed the Mary gave birth to God incarnate, she is Theotokus.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 8:50am On Sep 14, 2018
solite3:

sorry to say this but this is silly.

my mother is not the origin of my spirit but she gave birth to me both spirit and body, I can't go and start saying she is half mother or fleshy mother, she gave birth to a person both spirit and body, she is the mother of that person.

mother does NOT mean originator aka principle of existence.

mother is simply the person who gave birth to you and nurtured you.

Mary gave birth to Jesus, God and man, she didn't create him but she gave birth to him, she is his mother.

5 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 8:55am On Sep 14, 2018
solite3:

if Mary gave birth to the man Jesus only as you claim, please tell us at what time after his birth did the God Jesus now joined the man Jesus and became both God and man.

2 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 14, 2018
Gggg102:

where was spirit Jesus when Mary was giving birth to flesh Jesus?
Jesus only connection with Mary was in the flesh apart from that nothing,

where was your spirit when you were in your mother?

giving birth to does not = creating the person.
Mary gave birth to God is not the same as Mary created God.

your mother gave birth to you doesn't mean your mother created you
a mother gives birth to what originated in her that is the baby. originated from the mother is the flesh.
who is taking about creation?

what I m saying is that the spirit does not originate from the parents but from God it is only the flesh that originates from the parent.
as long as I m in the flesh my mother remains my mother.

God is uncreated and he came into the world through a woman. that means God was born of a woman because, the person through whom you entered the world gave birth to you, and is your mother(not your creator/originator)
that is wrong God was born of a woman in a figurative sense in that Mary bear Jesus physical form because God was already in existence,
yes Mary was a vessel God used in getting his flesh.
Jesus humanity was gotten through Mary not his divine nature.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 12:46pm On Sep 14, 2018
Ubenedictus:
if Mary gave birth to the man Jesus only as you claim, please tell us at what time after his birth did the God Jesus now joined the man Jesus and became both God and man.
Jesus divine nature exist beyond time and space.
it is distinct and separate from its human nature.

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 14, 2018
Ubenedictus:
this should help you, it is from the anathasian creed.

29. Furthermore it is necessary to everlasting salvation that he also believe rightly the incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ.
30. For the right faith is that we believe and confess that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and man.
31. God of the substance of the Father, begotten before the worlds; and man of substance of His mother, born in the world.
32. Perfect God and perfect man, of a reasonable soul and human flesh subsisting.
33. Equal to the Father as touching His Godhead, and inferior to the Father as touching His manhood.
34. Who, although He is God and man, yet He is not two, but one Christ.
35. One, not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh, but by taking of that manhood into God.
36. One altogether, not by confusion of substance, but by unity of person.
37. For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man, so God and man is one Christ;
38. Who suffered for our salvation, descended into hell, rose again the third day from the dead;
39. He ascended into heaven, He sits on the right hand of the Father, God, Almighty;
40. From thence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
41. At whose coming all men shall rise again with their bodies;
42. and shall give account of their own works.
43. And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting and they that have done evil into everlasting fire.

his uncaused divine nature didn't change, he who is God took to himself human nature in the womb of the virgin Mary and in his one person is both God and man without forsaking his divine nature or losing it or intermingling it. he is God and since his incarnation he is both God and man, and Mary gave birth to him, one person possessing two natures.

I already know how to separate Jesus human nature from his divine nature, heck it is we Catholics who defined the doctrine of the hypostatic union you guy simply came later and adopted it. it is I who should tell you to learn more about it.

the topic of the thread still remains, God took flesh in the womb of Mary and was born Jesus,God and man. Mary gave birth to a son who had two natures, she bore and birthed to God incarnate (God in human nature). she is his mother, you can't dodge it. funny enough the same council the set forth the hypostatic union also affirmed the Mary gave birth to God incarnate, she is Theotokus.
@bold see vain pride
sorry the hypostatic union is obvious from the holy bible.
Mary birthed two natures?really where did you get that from ?when Jesus was a baby was God also a baby too? when Jesus grew in knowledge dud God grew in knowledge too? if not then God was never born,
yes it was only Jesus flesh that Mary gave birth to.

let's look at this scripture

Hebrews 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

the writer of Hebrews clearly distinguished the human father and the heavenly father, the human father is called the father of our flesh but Benedictus might argue with him saying " so you mean my father only fathered my flesh not my spirit? so all this time he took care of me, it is just flesh?"
in the same way, Mary is only the mother of Jesus according to the flesh nothing more
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 6:51pm On Sep 14, 2018
solite3:
@bold see vain pride
sorry the hypostatic union is obvious from the holy bible.
Mary birthed two natures?really where did you get that from ?when Jesus was a baby was God also a baby too? when Jesus grew in knowledge dud God grew in knowledge too? if not then God was never born,
yes it was only Jesus flesh that Mary gave birth to
if may didn't give birth to Jesus with a divine nature and a human nature, please tell us when did the divine nature join the human nature that you say Mary gave birth to.

you have already denied the hypostatic union in the your post and have veered into Nestorianism.

let's look at this scripture

Hebrews 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

the writer of Hebrews clearly distinguished the human father and the heavenly father, the human father is called the father of our flesh but Benedictus might argue with him saying " so you mean my father only fathered my flesh not my spirit? so all this time he took care of me, it is just flesh?"
in the same way, Mary is only the mother of Jesus according to the flesh nothing more
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 7:07pm On Sep 14, 2018
solite3:
Jesus divine nature exist beyond time and space.
it is distinct and separate from its human nature.

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
his divine nature is from all eternity, beyond space, beyond time, in fact he himself created both space and time.

but when that divine person decided to come to us for our salvation, he took flesh in the womb of Mary and Mary gave birth to a person who is both God and man.

trying to dodge it is just futile

2 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by basilico: 7:10pm On Sep 14, 2018
My two dollar thought

While arguing scientifically can someone prove the scrolls writing wrong?

2000 year old scrolls that document Jesus life, mission, teachings, crucifixion ,ascendance and descent of holy spirit to his disciples who were murdered inhumanely. Peter was crucified upside down for not wanting to be xfied like Jesus.
One apostle was skinned alive, another thrown over cliff for refusing to deny they saw Jesus die , resurrect n ascend.

Why don't you prove those writings wrong instead of telling us how science is right
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 7:46pm On Sep 14, 2018
Ubenedictus:
if may didn't give birth to Jesus with a divine nature and a human nature, please tell us when did the divine nature join the human nature that you say Mary gave birth to.

you have already denied the hypostatic union in the your post and have veered into Nestorianism.

I didn't deny the hypostatic union
Jesus has been God even before he took upon him the human nature.
Jesus humanity began from Mary's womb not his divine nature.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 7:49pm On Sep 14, 2018
Ubenedictus:
his divine nature is from all eternity, beyond space, beyond time, in fact he himself created both space and time.

but when that divine person decided to come to us for our salvation, he took flesh in the womb of Mary and Mary gave birth to a person who is both God and man.

trying to dodge it is just futile
yes Jesus took flesh in the womb of Mary while being already God which means Mary is not the mother of God but of the man Christ Jesus.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by ichuka(m): 12:28am On Sep 15, 2018
solite3:
yes Jesus took flesh in the womb of Mary while being already God which means Mary is not the mother of God but of the man Christ Jesus.

Bro Jesus NEVER took an atom of flesh from Mary.rather He became flesh in Mary!!
Two different things.
John1:14And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.
He became flesh in Mary.
An incubator don't share it's contituent with it's product.
Not possible.
In doubt?
Ask the poultry farmers for a start.

[/quote]i

1 Like

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Onlinealaba(m): 12:44am On Sep 15, 2018
frbona:
what does Luke27:28 say in your bible cause I can't find it in mine
Having said that, the catholic that I am, much as I hate to admit it, believes you right and straight on point. We catholics, just like every other religion that existed at that time needed a goddess figure to cajole and convince the pagans into conversion, hence they began to venerate Mary as the mother of God and gave her the "ever virgin" status. This doctrine doesn't sit well with the rest of Christianity. I've been an altar server for years but every time I knelt or bowed to a statue or crucifix during mass something in me kept telling me this wasn't right and goes against Exodus 20:2 and Deuteronomy 5:6. There's no use arguing with anybody all in the hopes of convincing yourself that you are "honouring" and not worshiping a graven image made of human hands when God had pointed out explicitly how jealous he is when it comes to issues like this (Exodus 20v4&5) (deutronomy 5verses8&9). Its totally wrong and contradicts the scriptures. I remain a catholic only because most churches out there have their own share of polluted doctrines and beliefs. A world going to hell in a handbag. We living by Gods grace and its he alone who sees every man's heart, judges his true intentions and rewards his deeds(Galatians 6v7)
you must be a charismatic catholic then, am still yet to understand how charismatic can fit into the catholic faith cos at the long run it will become confusing
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 1:47am On Sep 15, 2018
ichuka:

Bro Jesus NEVER took an atom of flesh from Mary.rather He became flesh in Mary!!
Two different things.
John1:14And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.
He became flesh in Mary.
An incubator don't share it's contituent with it's product.
Not possible.
In doubt?
Ask the poultry farmers for a start.

i
OK thanks for this, but Jesus humanity began from the womb of Mary, that made her the mother of Jesus
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Gggg102(m): 4:04am On Sep 15, 2018
solite3:
Jesus only connection with Mary was in the flesh apart from that nothing,

a mother gives birth to what originated in her that is the baby. originated from the mother is the flesh.
who is taking about creation?

what I m saying is that the spirit does not originate from the parents but from God it is only the flesh that originates from the parent.
as long as I m in the flesh my mother remains my mother.

that is wrong God was born of a woman in a figurative sense in that Mary bear Jesus physical form because God was already in existence,
yes Mary was a vessel God used in getting his flesh.
Jesus humanity was gotten through Mary not his divine nature.

did your mother give birth to you?

yes or no answer.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 5:01am On Sep 15, 2018
Gggg102:

did your mother give birth to you?

yes or no answer.
Don't compare me to Jesus, Jesus was already in existence before Mary was even born.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Gggg102(m): 5:48am On Sep 15, 2018
solite3:
Don't compare me to Jesus, Jesus was already in existence before Mary was even born.

yes or no.

did she give birth to you?
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by ichuka(m): 8:23am On Sep 15, 2018
solite3:
OK thanks for this, but Jesus humanity began from the womb of Mary, that made her the mother of Jesus
John1:13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
☝️if these verse is true how can she be His mother?
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 15, 2018
ichuka:

John1:13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
☝️if these verse is true how can she be His mother?
we are on the same page bro,
yes Mary was his mother in the flesh but that is where it ended
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 12:46pm On Sep 15, 2018
solite3:

God took flesh in the womb of Mary and she gave birth to him, God and man. Unless you wish to tell me when the divine nature joined the human nature of Jesus.

2 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Gggg102(m): 12:49pm On Sep 15, 2018
solite3:
we are on the same page bro,
yes Mary was his mother in the flesh but that is where it ended

when your mother gave birth to you, did she give birth to flesh alone or flesh and spirit?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply)

Pastor Nomthi Odukoya: 'Stop Searching Through Your Spouses’ Phone.’ / Northern Christians To Pastor Bakare: Timothy II 2:24 / Don Moen: Enugu Is Nice, Calm And Peaceful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.