Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,858 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:39 AM

CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% (4475 Views)

Otudeko Buys ₦‎87.8bn Shares To Become Largest First Bank Shareholder With 14% / CBN Raises Interest Rate To 14% / Inflation Rate Rises From 11.14% To 11.23% In August – NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by Truth234(m): 5:02am On Jul 25, 2018
The Central Bank of Nigeria led Monetary Policy Committee on Tuesday left interest rates unchanged as widely anticipated.

The CBN Governor, Mr Godwin Emefiele, who announced the decision of the committee at the apex bank's headquarters in Abuja said the committee left Monetary Policy Rate unchanged at 14 per cent, while the Cash Reserves Ratio was left at 22.5 per cent.

Also, Liquidity Ratio was retained at 30 per cent; Asymmetric corridor at +200 and -500 basis points around the MPR.

The governor said the committee strongly considered tightening monetary policy to further curtail the threat of a rise in inflation and sustain capital inflow in the face of sustained monetary policy normalization in the US.

According to him, despite the deceleration in headline inflation, the 11.23 per cent inflation rate recorded in June remains above the apex bank's 6-9 per cent target range. This, he supported with the possible implementation of approved 2018 budget, N9.12 trillion, pre-election spending and injection from fiscal authorities, which are expected to provide the economy with additional liquidity that could pressure consumer prices even more. Therefore, the committee believed higher interest rates would rein-in inflationary pressure towards projected single digit, build investors' confidence and stabilize the foreign exchange market.

On the contrary, the committee was of the view that while raising interest rates could curtail inflation rate at this time, it would weaken consumption, reduce new investments, and trigger the re-pricing of financial assets by deposit money banks, thus limiting credit funding to the real sector.

However, in response to various calls for lower interest rate, the governor said lower monetary policy rate would aid consumption but hurt capital inflows, disrupt foreign exchange, and escalate inflation rate as liquidity to the economy is expected to increase once the federal government commence implementation of the 2018 budget.

Therefore, the seven of the ten-member committee voted to maintain current MPR, while two voted for 50 basis points increase, the remaining member voted for 25 basis points raise. Suggesting that "the committee is likely to hike rate in the fourth quarter depending on the implementation of the 2018 budget, the level of pre-election spending, and the state of global economy, especially the U.S monetary policy, Brexit negotiation and global trade tensions," said analysts at Investors King Ltd.

http://investorsking.com/cbn-leaves-interest-rate-unchanged-at-14/
Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:03am On Jul 25, 2018
GOOD DEVELOPMENT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by Firefire(m): 7:20am On Jul 25, 2018
Kudos to CBN.

1 Like

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by pawesome(m): 7:21am On Jul 25, 2018
E concern them... Dollar to Naira never change so

2 Likes

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by atobs4real(m): 7:22am On Jul 25, 2018
Good one
Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by pejuakinab: 7:23am On Jul 25, 2018
Loan on point, I want to buy Buharians

1 Like

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by senchris(m): 7:23am On Jul 25, 2018
post=69680839:
GOOD DEVELOPMENT

Na so, what did you understand from this news that is good development. Do you just want us to know you didn't die of high blood pressure following yesterday's sad news for APC?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by lonelydora: 7:36am On Jul 25, 2018
Okay
Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by DONMAYOR19(m): 7:39am On Jul 25, 2018
CBN interest rate that nigeria banks only give to themselves. Enter any bank to inquire about loan, if them tell you requirement u go shock. Some will even go as far as telling u to provide landed properties document for them and the landed property must be in a good location in either Lagos, Abuja or PH and the interest rate will be 23%+. I swear loan not for the poor in Nigeria ��. This country too cast.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by lonelydora: 7:40am On Jul 25, 2018
I thought the circled used to be (0) on First page?

5 Likes

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by omowolewa: 7:46am On Jul 25, 2018
Skeptical
Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by hisgrace090: 8:12am On Jul 25, 2018
All I know is that there is hunger in the land.

1 Like

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by toocoded: 8:13am On Jul 25, 2018
Awon lomo
Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 25, 2018
pawesome:
E concern them... Dollar to Naira never change so
Ignorance! This news isnt for you, It's for the money market investors.

1 Like

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by milliondollas(m): 8:15am On Jul 25, 2018
FOOLS WILL SAY GOOD DEVELOPMENT INTERESTS RATE IN EUROPE IS .5% BLIND FOOL'S

4 Likes

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by dingbang(m): 8:23am On Jul 25, 2018
lonelydora:
I thought the circled used to be (0) on First page?
in principle, 0 is wrong when counting pages. Do you start with page zero when numbering? Think! I guess they have realized their mistake and corrected it.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by economia: 8:25am On Jul 25, 2018
stanbic IBTC bank is charging me 29% please who do I report to?
Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by pawesome(m): 8:27am On Jul 25, 2018
aaronson:
Ignorance! This news isnt for you, It's for the money market investors.
izit your ignorance?... chor chor chor chor chor.....its not everything you must reply.. And that is called minding your business

3 Likes

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by Ezeamaemmanuel(m): 9:25am On Jul 25, 2018
Am I the only one who read everything but understood nothing?

3 Likes

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by Truth234(m): 9:41am On Jul 25, 2018
economia:
stanbic IBTC bank is charging me 29% please who do I report to?

29 percent is high but banks can't give you 14 per cent, they have to add operating cost and service charge. Abi if you default, who go convert security to cash?
Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by lonelydora: 9:49am On Jul 25, 2018
dingbang:
in principle, 0 is wrong when counting pages. Do you start with page zero when numbering? Think! I guess they have realized their mistake and corrected it.

Seun is working. Seun for President

Btw, How are you dealing with the #BankWars? You know your bank is my number one bank. Efficient and Effective.
Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by dingbang(m): 9:56am On Jul 25, 2018
lonelydora:

Seun is working. Seun for President

Btw, How are you dealing with the #BankWars? You know your bank is my number one bank. Efficient and Effective.
well, my modus operandi is on Nairaland and not on twitter so that's their business. If it were on nairaland, I tell you , that thread would have been deleted even before people start to see it. So many threads against first bank have been created on nairaland and i made sure they didn't see the light of day. wink

That's how I work, I can't be working for a company and someone comes from nowhere to bash it. Mbanu. I will contribute my own quota in protecting the interest of the whichever establishment I find myself in as well as the goodwill of its brand

2 Likes

Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by lonelydora: 10:36am On Jul 25, 2018
dingbang:
well, my modus operandi is on Nairaland and not on twitter so that's their business. If it were on nairaland, I tell you , that thread would have been deleted even before people start to see it. So many threads against first bank have been created on nairaland and i made sure they didn't see the light of day. wink

That's how I work, I can't be working for a company and someone comes from nowhere to bash it. Mbanu. I will contribute my own quota in protecting the interest of the whichever establishment I find myself in as well as the goodwill of its brand

Wow. Diligent worker. May God reward all your efforts in Jesus Name. AMEN
Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by dingbang(m): 11:14am On Jul 25, 2018
lonelydora:

Wow. Diligent worker. May God reward all your efforts in Jesus Name. AMEN
amen brother. cool thanks
Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 3:31pm On Jul 25, 2018
dingbang:

Is that First Bank's policy concerning customers grievances? Bury it?
Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by dingbang(m): 5:57pm On Jul 25, 2018
RoyalPriesthuud:
Is that First Bank's policy concerning customers grievances? Bury it?
I have a thread for customers grievances which I solve . please check my signature. cool
Re: CBN Leaves Interest Rate Unchanged At 14% by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 4:21am On Jul 26, 2018
dingbang:
I have a thread for customers grievances which I solve . please check my signature. cool
All good.

(1) (Reply)

Raising Turkeys: The Do's And Dont's / List Of Common Foreign Commodities And Their Local Alternatives (Photos) / Consumer Rights In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.