Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,460 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries (34261 Views)

Lagos Ferry To Start Operations In November - See What The Ferries Look Like / The Bariga Waterfront Jetty And Ferries That Ambode Commissioned (Photos) / Ferries That Will Be Used At The Bariga Waterfront Jetty (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by AutoJoshNG: 12:06pm On Jul 25, 2018
In Lagos, plying on the Inland waterways are several commercial ferries and motorized high capacity boats. They are owned by private individuals, institutions and the Lagos state government.

They operate on the waterways in and around Lagos state. They are an alternative to traveling on the chaotic Lagos roads.

These ferry services are offered to transport commuters to a distant destination within minutes, as opposed to hours that it will normally take to travel to the same destination by roads.

A good number of Lagosians use them, especially those who reside in far-flung suburban axis but who work or trade in distant locations.

Autojosh.com was at some of the jetties built by NIWA (National Inland Waterways Authority), the Lagos state governments and some private individuals and institutions.

We got first hand information on how much it costs to patronize these commercial ferry services.

Our observation is that there are several, though slight, variations in the fares demanded for trips to some specific destinations. These variations are determined by the capacity of the engines of the ferries , the quality of the boats, etc.

However, we also observed something as it relates to the fares being charged by the ferry services operators: the amount currently being charged as fares by these commercial ferry operators would be significantly reduced if there were more ferries participating and competing with the few existing ones on the Lagos Inland waterways.

It goes without say, if this mode of mass transit is sincerely explored by the government, it would significantly decongest the roads and rid the state of the legendary road traffic gridlocks in Lagos.

Below are the average amount charged for ferry rides to different locations together with the average duration it takes to complete a trip.

Marina – Apapa

Duration = 7minutes

Fare = N150

Ikorodu – Victoria Island

Duration = 30minutes

Fare = N500.

Ikoyi (near federal secretariat) – Ikorodu

Duration =25 minutes

Fare = N500

Ikorodu – Marina

Duration = 25 minutes

Fare = N700

Ikorodu – Oyingbo

Time = 30 minutes

Fare = 500

Marina – Oyingbo

Time= 6 minutes

Fare = N 500

Marina – Ebute-Ero

Time = 3 Minutes

Fare = 350

Marina – Ikoyi (near federal secretariat)

Time= 20 minutes

Fare =500

Marina – Lekki

Time = 30 minutes

Fare = 700

Bayon- Marina

Time = 30 Minutes

Fare =100/200

Marina – Takwa Bay

Time = 20 Minutes

Fare = N100/200

Marina – Sabo-Koji

Duration= 10 minutes

Fare: N100

Marina – Badagry

Duration= 45 minutes

Fare =N1000

Marina – Ojo

Duration= 30 minutes

Fare =N1000

Ikorodu – Mile 2

Duration =45 Minutes

Fare= N1000

Ikorodu-Apapa

Duration = 25minutes

Fare = N700

Marina – Ofin

Duration = 30 minutes

Fare= 1000

Ebute Ero – Epe

Duration = 1 Hour

Fare= N1300

Ofin-Badagry

Duration = 35 minutes

Fare = N1000

Note: The fares varies slightly with each ferry. The fare is determined by the size of the ferry and its engine capacity.

https://autojosh.com/see-how-much-it-cost-to-commute-around-lagos-using-ferries/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by AutoJoshNG: 12:06pm On Jul 25, 2018
Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by Esejojo: 12:12pm On Jul 25, 2018
Autojosh, since they refused to bring this to front page, I decided to help out. No need to thank me. grin grin grin

See How Ambode Made Primero The Sole BRT Operator In Lagos

[b]17 March 2008 marked the beginning of a revolution in the mass transit sector in Lagos state.

That was the date that the first phase of the Lagos BRT was launched.

The introduction of the Lagos BRT significantly ushered the state away from the unenviable example of a classic urban disorder.

The BRT is a mass transit system that employs dedicated lanes, enabling buses to avoid traffic – and by extension, ensure shorter duration of journeys.

In its first year, the Lagos BRT transported an average of 200,000 passengers per day. In 2012, it carried 51 million passengers, averaging around 140,000 a day. This arrangement was very lucrative for the operator. However, in no time, the operator became overwhelmed by the patronage.

In 2012, the Lagos State Bus Asset Management Limited (LAGBUS), the company in charge of managing and operating the BRT service, began giving out franchises to private investors. Soon, 10 companies were licensed to acquire BRT buses and integrate them in the Lagos BRT scheme.

Note that LAGBUS is a management collaboration of the Lagos state government/LAMATA with the Lagos state NURTW.

As of 2016, the number of BRT franchisees had increased to about 37.

In 2016, the Ambode-led government of Lagos state abruptly banned the operation of the LAGBUS-supervised buses including those under its franchise scheme. The reason giving for the ban was constant breaches of the franchise agreement the operator signed in 2007.

Over 36 BRT franchisees, together with the original NURTW-owned BRT buses were affected. The ban prevented them from plying the very lucrative BRT corridors to load or drop passengers. They could only use the road like other private vehicles.

On November 7, 2016, the sudden banned sparked off a protest by the franchisees.

The ground for their protest was that they still had a running contract with LAGBUS – and by extension the Lagos state government/LAMATA.

Then curiously, a certain private company – Primero Transport Services Limited – became the sole BRT bus operator.

Indeed, and just like the exclusivity accorded to companies like Visionscape and Alpha-Beta Consulting – buses owned by Primero Transport Services Limited were accorded the exclusive rights to operate on the BRT corridors in Lagos state.

Even more curious was that the details of the contract Primero Transport Services Limited signed with LAMATA remains shrouded in secrecy.

For instance, was there a terminal date for the contract?

What happens when the company fails in its responsibility of fulfilling its obligations to the public?

On May 16, 2016, the Lagos State Government donated 50 brand new high-capacity Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) vehicles to Primero Transport Services Limited. The reason given for the donation was to mitigate effects of new pump price of petrol on its residents.

Why should a state government donate buses to a private profit-making company?

Was the Lagos state government’s largess to Primero part of the mysterious contract they signed?

Primero Transport Services Limited was established in 2014.

Its BRT bus service was launched on 12 November 2015 by His Excellency Mr. Akinwumi ‘Dapo Ambode. The company commenced its BRT operation with 434 Youtong high capacity buses. It currently operates the BRT buses service on the Ikorodu to CMS corridor.

The Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of Primero Transport Services Limited is Mr Fola Tinubu.[/b]

https://autojosh.com/see-how-primero-became-the-sole-brt-operator-in-lagos/

[/b]

16 Likes

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by Felixalex(m): 12:17pm On Jul 25, 2018
Nice one..

Help us with how much it costs to commute around Sokoto using camels

Then how much it costs to commute around Edo using brooms grin grin cheesy cheesy

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by hustla(m): 12:18pm On Jul 25, 2018
Any sensible government would have tapped into this thing but It's Nigeria

Imagine 100 big ferries on these waters, it'd generate some money while reducing traffic jam

12 Likes

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 25, 2018
I no do .

2 Likes

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by ThinkWISELY(m): 12:18pm On Jul 25, 2018
Abeggi,Marina to Takwabay is almost #500 and that's not even a stable price.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by Smarte724(m): 12:18pm On Jul 25, 2018
Is even cheaper using land transportation

8 Likes

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by hopefulLandlord: 12:18pm On Jul 25, 2018
I avoid water transportation anytime I'm in Nigeria at almost all cost

Truth is our maintenance culture is terrible so it feels safer for me to take public road transport rather than ferry. if a BRT bus us poorly maintained it'll break down on the road and offload its passengers into another BRT while ferry might sink!

Of course there are safety measurements in place but its only a matter of time before such measures are cut corners on one after the other just like BRT and I'd rather be safe than sorry. better late than never for me

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by pautex: 12:19pm On Jul 25, 2018
I LIKE WATER TRANSPORT, CONSIDERING THE HIGH LEVEL OF TRAFFIC WE ENCOUNTER ESPECIALLY ON IKORODU ROAD.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by Eraddray(m): 12:19pm On Jul 25, 2018
k
Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by DonFreshmoney(m): 12:19pm On Jul 25, 2018
This is costly. Better I jump my bus, than to use ferry. Am ppound wise, penny foolish

1 Like

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by moorevic(m): 12:19pm On Jul 25, 2018
7 minutes 150 and 6 minutes 500 sad sad sad ayam not understanding

9 Likes

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by FastShipping: 12:20pm On Jul 25, 2018
What about Ikeja to Oshodi? grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by W3xy1(m): 12:20pm On Jul 25, 2018
Omo if fuel go finish for middle of my destination nko? Omo I no dey enter

19 Likes

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by lordtosan(m): 12:20pm On Jul 25, 2018
Mere discussion exercise. We need to change our leaders.

LIKE for Atiku/Donald Duke PDP ticket
and
SHARE for Buhari/Osibanjo APC ticket.

26 Likes 13 Shares

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by lightheart(m): 12:20pm On Jul 25, 2018
Hopefully, more ferries will come in.
Not bad, if you want to escape the madness on Lagos roads.

1 Like

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by stonecoldcafe: 12:20pm On Jul 25, 2018
Helpful
Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 25, 2018
Not too bad

1 Like

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by Britishcoins(m): 12:20pm On Jul 25, 2018
And u want me to enter those ill fated and dirty polluted boats and water. Lagos, especially our waters are not even good for fish to consume....

I rather traveled with my bike or trek.

South West loves dirty

1 Like

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by Elexdallas(m): 12:21pm On Jul 25, 2018
The get conductor?
Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by tintingz(m): 12:21pm On Jul 25, 2018
Smarte724:
Is even cheaper using land transportation
You also notice that.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by bjayx: 12:21pm On Jul 25, 2018
The fare is much ooo
Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by Dukezaga: 12:22pm On Jul 25, 2018
What of the cost from Aso rock to daura... Will like to pay t-fair for dullhari.... Any means of transportation I will gladly pay......

2 Likes

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by clems88(m): 12:22pm On Jul 25, 2018
Mods you guys should do something about that useless anti spam bot on business section .I never posted anytin wrong . this is the second time . your stu.pid bot has made me not to reach out to the guy owing me cash for business that he didn't fulfil n my money has been hanging since Sunday. angry angry

1 Like

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by kolafolabi(m): 12:23pm On Jul 25, 2018
Good and welcome development

1 Like

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by wakililipupuru: 12:23pm On Jul 25, 2018
From ikorodu to vi is 700
From ikorodu to ebute ero and cams is 700
From ikorodu to apapa is 700
Because na my work

3 Likes

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by wj26584(m): 12:23pm On Jul 25, 2018
Felixalex:
Nice one..

Nice one..

Then how much it costs to commute around Edo using brooms grin grin cheesy cheesy
[/s][quote author=Felixalex post=69690289]

Come take ur whip
Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by Naijaphobia(m): 12:24pm On Jul 25, 2018
Pls help! Is it possible to get ferry from agbara
to ikorodu.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by Originality007: 12:24pm On Jul 25, 2018
Felixalex:
Nice one..

grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries by lordtosan(m): 12:24pm On Jul 25, 2018
The only way to identify a female mosquito is to watch closely.
The ones that fly around your pocket, Na Dem.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Embassies Employ Foreigners / Fiberesima Ama: A Hidden Island In Rivers State (Video) / Nigerian Airforce Helicopter Crash Lands In Enugu State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.