Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,047 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan (2656 Views)

Akwa Ibom Women Go To Farm With Weapon To Protect Selves From Bandits / Lagos Distributes Maize, Sorghum To Farm Settlements / How to Farm Strawberry For Profit In Your Location (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 12:17am On Jul 26, 2018
This is my second thread in this Agricultural thread. My threads are concepts you should digest, and develop on to suit your purpose.

WARNING: Making a good market research increases the survival rate of the farm, and writing a financial or business plan saves one from financial blunders.

Also, I will include some common errors I have made which I have noticed many farmers still make. I call these errors Frequent Errors Farmers Make

A complete farmer must be an entrepreneur to be succesful. Stop listening to experts who lay too much emphasis on practical. Infact, many investors do not care about the practical aspect of farming before they set up profitable farms. They started with these two business skills we are going to discuss.

Without a good financial plan, you are on your way to failure. You do not need to consult anyone to make your personal plan for your micro scale plan if you are good with maths, and if you understand basic accounting principle.

What is an asset? What is the different between fixed and current asset? And what is a liability? For a plan which you want to present to a financial institution you must include:
1. Start up cost
2. Start up funding
3. Sales
4. Cash Flow
5. Balance Sheet
6. Income (Profit and Loss) Statement
7. Break Even Analysis
8. Personnel
9. Business Ratios (Very important)
10. Inventory Analysis (Optional)
Anyway, our discussion does not include the above. You may consult a business developer if you need one.

Follow me as we explore the most crucial steps you should take before you set up any size of farm.

Disclaimer
Use my techniques, suggestions, and advices at your own risk. I am not liable for any loss you put on yourself while trying to replicate my ideas. The truth is that you may get it wrong thinking you are doing it accurately.

- - - - - - - -

For more inquiry
1. Download and install Telegram on your android or apple device.
2. Open your web browser and click on https:///fluentinfor
3. Someone will attend to you.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 12:17am On Jul 26, 2018
Table of Content
Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 12:33am On Jul 26, 2018
1.0 Introduction: Before Getting Any Form Of Training

Training is a form of expense. There are other indirect cost associated with training; therefore, the real cost of training is not just only the cost you pay. It involves, tranportation, feeding, accomodation, and other costs relating to the training.

I am not against training. My point is that the cost of training must be included in your financial plan.

Also, the cost of market research should be included in the financial plan too. Of course, you are going to move around. So, the cost of transportation must be involved. In additional, you might end up giving out tips or gifts to people who help you climb the ladder to your success. Snacks you take while you travel around is another cost you must include.

What about the cost of additional internet data subscription for the months you are going to work hard to put your research together? Well, you may not include the usual amount you pay, but it is paramount to include the additional payment you are going to make.

I cannot show you A to Z of the costs involved. Therefore, sit down and predict all costs involved. Be yourself. Only you can make an accurate analysis of how much you should spend..

1 Like

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by excanny: 1:35am On Jul 26, 2018
Good to see well-grounded agropreneurs with an end-to-end thinking.
Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 9:14am On Jul 26, 2018
FEFM 1.0: Cheap land in Oyo, Ogbomosho, and in other far places are better.
(Frequent Errors Farmers Make)

Let market guide you where you should have your farm. In most cases, it is wise to have your farm near market if you are always going to the market, and if your products are bulky. For example, make sure your vegetable farm is near where you sell. You may decide to have a pineapple or papaya farm in a far location if you can take huge number of pineapple to market in a single trip.

Better markets are in major cities; therefore, it is not stupid to look first at the closest village.

Avoid going first to your ancestor's land. A lady based in Italy contacted me that she wanted to open a vegetable and fruits farm on her family 30 hectares far away in one city in the east. Her brother in Abuja is the guy in charge. We brainstormed the whole business - moved veggie closer to Abuja on a leased land, retained trees in her family land, and removed some crops she wanted to do because her family land might not be good for them. But I noticed that the lady kept coming back to change the plan. What she was asking for would favor someone else, and I could not get who the person was. I asked her for the full start up cost, and she gave me. After checking, I asked who is the boss in Nigeria, and she said it is his brother. And I asked for his pay. It was not included. "He is my brother, can he not do it free of charge? I always support his family." Na so I kept my mouth shut. That was 7 months ago. Yesterday, she contacted again with a long story. And I told her straight to look at her brother like her employee, she should put herself in his position, and award the man the right reward if she wants the project to move forward.

Please, always include all costs in your financial plan. Do not save money by maltreatreating your workers, or by cutting off technical activities, substituting with local cheaper methods. On the other hand, do not be a Santa Claus (Father Christmas) just dashing everyone money because you want to buy favor from them. You are already their ATM mahine.

You save so much on logistics by having your farm close to market when you are always going to the market. In this case, it is better you go for a leased land if the properties there are on the high side.

No one is going to tell you all what I am writing here. Let everything here guide you.

2 Likes

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Ademat7(m): 9:21am On Jul 26, 2018
following back to back
Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jul 26, 2018
2.0.Farmer's Financial Plan

My Choice of Crop:
Remember I wrote about trying to network which prompted me to take investment some few months ago. That was a terrible mistake I should have not made. Honestly, I was not looking for money, but I took investment to see if I can spread my network. And i felt i scrutinized the process well. This is one of the most disastrous decisions in my business. Recent occurences showed that I did not choose well. I was looking for network, so I needed farmers to come in. Well, it happened that I was tricked into believing that all of these investors were farmers. Not that they tricked me, but my process of selection tricked me. So, the result clearly showed that after I could not deliver well on time, farmers sticked with me, while those who are not farmers decided to leave. I am not here to discuss the details but just to show reasons for some of my actions.

Part of the failure was because I could not stay on farm 24- 7. So, i need a crop which does not require full attention.

Decisions made after carrying out a market research:
1. I had carried out extensive research, and I have decided to start a papaya farm.

2. I wanted to buy a cheap land because papaya needs to be on it for 5 years.

3. I decided to look at cheap properties. I got some, but I still did not feel comfortable.

4. I approached a family with whom I have a good relationship with so I can lease 1 ha for 5 years in an area very close to market.

5. My ex worker visited me and said "Oga, this is nice. Why can't you intercrop with herbs?" I said "Bingo!"

6. I will Intercrop with sun lover herbs when papaya has not spread enough to cover the soil from receiving sunlight, and I will intercrop with shade lover roots when they are fully grown.

I will publish figures, and make notes under each item in my financual plan.

Note: I have altered most figures in this plan; however, they are sufficient for its purpose which is to learn how it is done. These figures do not represent what I actually intend to do on my farm
Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 30, 2018
2.1 Start Up

- - - - - - EXPENSES - - - - -

Legal
Contracts might be necessary for Commercial farms.

Business Plan
For a professional plan, you may need to pay for a good business plan. Management Consulting firms take millions of naira for writing plans.

Insurance
The choice of insuring the farm is a big decision. Insurance policy in Nigeria can be really discouraging.

Land Lease
While it is possible to get 2 ha for N10,000 from government, it can be as high as N25,000 per acre from individuals depending on the quality of facilities on it. Location is a big factor which determines prices too. I choose to give out 3 years rent upfront so as to make the family not able to give anyone else the land for the 3 years papaya will be on it. I know that the family will collect more in form of tips later. Tips are recorded as expenses.

Land Preparation
While it is cheaper at the initial stage to use tractor to prepare land, it might not be situable for most micro scale farms. Many issues might not allow it, especially in the south west. In the north, bulls are used, and very ok to plough. The cost varies. The cost of preaparing vegetable land especially if one is growing lecttuce if done manually is extremely high.

For one ha, you might need ten people daily (7am to 2pm) at the rate of N1,000 - N2,000 for each person. Depending on how huge the trees in it are, it can rake 2 to 5 days to cut down trees and the bush (packing is not included). Some workers are paid per area of land which can range from N2,000 to N4,500 per 667sqm (a standard plot of land). Prices are based on southwest charges. In this case, the activities include: land clearing which I have given the price range, beds preparation, manure preparation and innoculation with microbes which takes 14 to 21 days which is turned every 2 days, manure application to soil, mulch laying, etc. With tractor, these activities are easily done at very low price.

Manure
I believe in increasing organic matters in the soil by adding enough manure. The standard quantity needed is 10 to 20 tons per acre. I always scout for free manure, but it is getting extremely difficult to come by as many poultry farms make extra cash from the birds' waste. Actually, there are alternatives. I am sure most people will not want to spend up to this amount. If you do not want to, you must find a way out. The way out of most farmers is to not to use it or reduce the quantity used drastically. Either of two options is not good. Find a better alternative. You need microbes and organic matter in your soil.

Papaya Seedlings
While you may choose to make nursery yourself, most seedlings are sold at N400 to N500 each. The population on this farm is 2,000 and the cost is at N375 each. It is possible an owner might choose to have 2,500 or lesser than 2,000. Might be, you should use N500 per seedling as the real cost to be on a safer side.

Seeds: Radish, Letrucr, Okra, Cucumber
My experience with seeds is that there is no regular supply. It is advisable to buy seeds, and store. Note that some of these seeds are inventory, but I am going to keep them under expenses. If this plan is not for learning purpose, the ones not planted immediately suppose to be under inventory as asset. I have sold seeds many times to raise money for operational costs of my farm. Cucumber seeds are always scarce. If you do not have seeds, it may hinder smooth operation. I buy in cartoons, and when I do not need them, I start selling to farmers. I have made some reasonable profit selling cucumber seeds to farmers in my network. Note that I do not sell to everyone, but most of my friends know I buy in bulk. Trust them, they always come when cucumber seeds are scarce. And if I do not sell, I still use them. Not always under pressure to sell. Never! I do not buy in bulk to sell. I cannot, but sell when they need them. So, I am not a seller of seeds or any farm input.

Lettuce Nursery, Seed Preparation and Trays
Trays are used for transplanting. The nursery low tunnel with nets is necessary too. If you really want to have high population rate of plants of same age, it is better to invest in trays. Nurse 10 to 15% seeds in trays and keep them to replace those that do not germinate. This way, you have seedlings of same age on your farm.

Well or Borehole
This is the service charge. Pump, casing, pipes or hose are recorded under current assets.

Salary
Recorded under cash as an asset. 3 to 4 months salary should be available to be on a safer side. Most farm workers are paid from N20,000 per month. I think paying less does not motivate workers, and theft is always the result of unsatified workers. The amount I allocated for 3 workers in this plan is what more than 80% farmers pay about 6 - 7 workers on their farms. I always ask myself, "I want to make thousands from these 15 plots of land, yet I pay each worker N20,000 or less which cannot motivate each of them, does it make sense?" At the same time, these kind of workers are not motivated with increment in salary. They just have their own way of doing things. I call them parasites on farms. I am done with having such attitude near me. Someone who is tough, and can maltreat workers fits them, but absolutely not me. I think farm helping hands in the north are with better conditions than other parts of the country.

Transplanting, Planting, Granules Fertilizer Application
These are expenses I want to eradicate by using modern equipment. Most farmers are able to eradicate such expenses if they employ workers who can really handle dirts; however, it seems when you have farms in some parts of south west, it may not work well. I do not think these expenses apply to everyone. You just need to check well what applies to you. Why allocate fund for these kind of expenses when there are 3 workers on farm already? Hmmmm, but can 3 workers do it effectively? Honestly, on veggie farms and since you are newbies, I advise you to add it. As you understand the game, you can know how it really works. Remember, it depends on your location. At times, if there are more farms around you, workers from different farms interact; therefore, I try to pay the highest amount. The bad news is that other owners become your enemy. These are issues no one will tell you. And these are major threats to micro scale farm success.

Gas and engine oil
Alllocate the first month under expenses, while you move the remaning 3 or 4 months under cash since it is an asset yet to be used.

Logistics
Logistics is the management of the flow of things between the point of origin and the point of consumption. For you, it is the flow from outside to your farm, mainly transportation. You do not need any complex form, but just the cost of moving things to your farm. Many farmers who live very far away from farm do not include the cost of their transportation everytime they visit their farms, which is part of this expense. I sincerely think people spend so much unconsciously. Some spend as much as N7,000 - N10,000 fuelling their SUV per trip. 4 trips per month, for 4 months is already N160,000. This does not include the cost of moving goods to the farm. Hmmmmm! Consultants do not tell you this. Farmers stay near farms, and will not know what you as an owner is facing. You later start noticing you cannot easily breakeven, and you start wondering what is going on. Check all your expenses well. You need a financial plan to guide you. Forget the aggressive practical farmers who tell you that you cannot predict or write business plan for your farm. You need it. It is the first. Do not rush to start any farm. Let practical farmers do their practicals the way they like. You are responsible for your finance. As long as practical farmers make some sales for you, they are done. You and only you understand many other hiding expenses and alternative forgones. I have closed down farms which cover only my costs and salary payment. To all workers, they were profitable ventures. Might be if I was living close to the farm, they would be, but unfortunately, my farm managers could not understand the hiding expenses. I called them many times to explain why they needed to double sales, but they did not understand. The day I closed them, they felt it was a wicked act. "Oga, you just deliberately remove food from my table". Nope. I had been bearing losses for many months. I just needed to do something. As I am writing today, I have no micro scale farm.

- - - - - - ASSETS - - - - - -

Cash
The amount you need to carry out already allocated activities mostly expenses.

Inventory
Farm inputs: Fertilizers, Microbes, Agro-Chemicals, etc. You need to decide if you will be making purchase every month, quarterly, bi- annually, or whatever. Most farmers buy when they need, and it is what most owners want to do. It is your choice. What I know is, an organized farm finds a way to keep track of everything that goes in and out of the farm. Monitoring theft is another challenge. Workers can easily sell them. I advise owners to keep their stores away from farm. It is why owners without their own vehicle might find it very tough. Or you have a farm store which you always lock. This is why you may need a wooden farm house or store.

Other Current Assets
Inventory is a current asset. Other current assets are all other kinds of assets on your farm. The only fixed/long term asset I see on your farm might be equipment like generators, pumps etc. However, I do not allocate them under fixed assets since I know the cheapest brands which cannot last more than 2 years are options most farmers go for. Why call them fixed assets? These assets include: drip and mulch for Papaya, overhead irrigation for herbs, drip and mulch for okra and cucumber, tanks, pipes, well/borebole accesories, sprayers, pumps, etc. While farmer A purchases N7,000 knapsack, another buys mist sprayer of N250,000. Pump ranges from N30,000 to over N450,000. It depends on who you are, what you want to achieve, and how best you plan to achieve it.

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 30, 2018
TIP 1.0: Keep Expenses as Low as Possible
Differenciating between assets and expenses is the KEY to planning effectively.

While trying to do that, I observe that the power of giving out gifts and tips cannot be over looked. I have been able to have smooth operations with the power of giving out tips. For example, the cost of an activity might really be N20,000 while I am asked to pay N35,000. When I see that the person is good, I may opt to give him. I might just say that "the real cost is N20,000, but I will add N10,000 to it as a tip for you since it is my first deal with you". So, I can beat it down as close as possible to the real price when next I need such service. But what do we term as "real price"? Frankly speaking, if you work with these people on farm, you will pity them. It is the truth.

So, when I read about the cost of clearing 1 ha manually at the rate of N30,000 to N50,000 is too expensive, I always shake my head. Oh! You cannot make profit with high cost of labor. Oh! You have been cheated. Oh! They messed you up. Hmmmmm! Please, take a step back. Is N50,000 really too much to clear 1 ha of thick bush? 10 people coming together to take N5,000 each is too much to clear 15 plots in 3 to 5 days? Honestly, what do we take these workers for? Slaves?

I am not here to argue with anyone. But let me be frank with you. If your first strategy to reduce the cost of production is cutting down wages, you cannot go far. This is my experience so far.

I do not think I am wrong, but almost all owners initial plan to reduce the cost of production is going for extreme cheap labor. They do not want to do anything about the high cost of feed or farm input. Why can't you sit down to learn feed formulation, plant nutrient formulation so you can keep your cost down, instead of cutting wages down drastically?

You can also keep cost of production down with technology. Solar energy on farm will definitely eradicate buying gas. You just need to look into it if it is ok for you. Laying mulch cuts down the cost of weeding on farm. Granules fertilizer applicators are invaluable tools. There are planters and transplanters too. Well, getting good brands is another issue. I have tried some Chinese brands of tranplanters and they were disastrous. Lol. When you opt for net to stake, you cut down and remove about 20% of the labor on cucumber farms.

When you add all these expenses and assets; then after, you can scale properly and make your farm profitable. But forcing extreme low budget on projects is extremely dangerous. I do not attend to questions like : how much can I use to set up one acre farm? It is a broad question. Your expenses are different from mine. I can give you a general approach, but you need to know exactly what is applicable to you.

Like I always say, people hail extreme low cost approach to projects. Lol. It is why 99% of such projects fail. The last project I supervised for a couple was disastrous cos I allowed them to take charge of some activities I should not have. And for the fact that I recruited staff members for them was the biggest mistake I made. Such mistake will never happen again.

For everyone who has contacted to manage their farms or to act as their consultant, and I have rejected, I just want to apologize that such way of making money is not my style. I hardly collect cash for consultation, when u see me ask, it is either you did something wrong, or I have seen an attitude in you. And trust me, it is an expensive price that will chase you away I will give. Lol.

Appreciate farm helping hands, but do not over pamper them.

1 Like

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 6:13am On Jul 31, 2018
2.2: How Micro Scale Farms are Funded
1. Owner: I think few reasonable owners are going into opening micro farms. Personally, I would not open one too if I had no time. Let no one deceive you, the attitude of farm workers, land grabbers, and all stake holders is enough to put anyone in his right mind off. Be mindful of what you spend. If I want to take your money, I will put down here sweet words. However, if you commit your time, energy, and you are deligent, you will make huge profit.

2. Investment: We have seen farmers ask for investments here. I have taking at one time too. Just yesterday, someone came with 2 million naira co-operative fund from his company, and I told him the risks involved. The truth is, I do not want the fund; hence, I told him the truth about risks involved. I told him that my veggie farm and tree plantation which I visit 24- 7 is what I have rest of mind on. And i will not take any investment for my veggie at this time. I do not need it.

3. Loan: Get loan for a profitable business if you need to, and not for a start up.

Please, do not get me wrong, farming is profitable; however, almost everyone in it are spectators. This is my observation. You may not like my articles because I am not giving you exciting news.

I do not care about pictures which excite readers. grin And I do not expect majority to make comments here. In fact, my style of writing has changed cos I am discouraging spectators from contacting me. I prefer visting a farmer who thinks like me than meeting an investor. That money you want to put down, I can raise it but the question is how I can multiply it. I am not a magician. I work with people too. If you cannot wait for trees to produce, but you want me to sit down with cucumber and give you 200% after 60 days, while you smoke cigar at home, you are a joke. Who told you most farmers cannot raise cash to do what you want them to do. Think twice! The question is can they multiply it every time ? Good farmers can, but just take note that if it is their money, and they desperately want to make profit, they sleep on farm. Take note. Be observant. But if it is your cssh, who is gonna kill himself? Excellent farmers will not even meet you with your money. Take note. They know their limitations.

I kept track of everyone who contacted me last year, and I followed 275 people (actually i came across times 3 of this number or more). In December, I sent 275 messages (emails, instant messages, calls, etc) to have updates. 260 did nothing grin. 12 had dropped farming due to losses, and 3 were struggling. I went through the plans of the 3 people, and I pitied them. Immediately I started talking, as soon as I mentioned the first likely solution, and the reaction was negative, I swapped to what they wanted to hear. grin The road the mighty fell flat, is a road many millions fall daily.

Many owners realize after first harvest and sales of tubers that it is a worthless venture if it is less than 10 ha project. As an owner, your target with rice, cassava, yam, beans, etc should be mechanized farming. You live in Lagos, and you travel to Oyo just for 1 acre to 1 ha. Very sad. Truly sad. After you have wasted your time and resources is when you understand your loss. Why? You failed to plan. I see them daily, and I know the time to have a good conversation with them is after sales. smiley

When you hear a farmer calls 1 ha his pilot, take him serious. When you hear 3 years livestock pilot, take him serious. The farmer knows the road is full of pranks and hurdles. He wants to learn not only what to expect from the farm, but from outside it too. After 3 years of studying livestock on a micro scale, do you think he will collect investments to part away his profit with his limitations? Maybe if he sees his limitations have been reduced, he can.

No matter how you see it, my advice is that you look before you leap. Make thorough research, know your risk tolerance limit before you dive in.

When you know the game. When you live in reality. When you think like good farmers. Even you do not have time, you will become friends of excellent farmers, and opportunuties will flow. But be ready to be generous. Be ready to assist struggling farmers. It is not only about you, your investment, and huge ROI. This is selfishless. They always say: my hard earned money. Truly, it is, but do not be a fool to lose it cheaply. Make excellent farmers your friend. As a farmer, this is what I am doing presently.

Only true farmers understand what I have written here. Only true farmers understand the pain in tilling ground. The pain is why some farmers hate anything high harvest figures. Yeah. I feel them.

I do not need the majority. I need only people in the small micro fraction who understand the concept of my articles. Please, do not contact me if your expectation is bringing paradise to your farm. But if you understand that adequate preparation with having the right attitude, without being reckless with marketing research are pre- requisites to huge success, hit me. I am always eager to walk with you through the process you want to take.

1 Like

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Ademat7(m): 11:17am On Jul 31, 2018
powerful write up,when people ask me why I don't go into agric i use to tell them
*it is not a short term thing
*u need funds to support you in trying times
*u need to adapt to rural life
I want to set up plantain farm next year 1ha(in Ogun) and watch it grow to 10ha while i'm still doing my teaching job in lagos
fluentinfor:
2.2: How Micro Scale Farms are Funded
1. Owner: I think few reasonable owners are going into opening micro farms. Personally, I would not open one too if I had no time. Let no one deceive you, the attitude of farm workers, land grabbers, and all stake holders is enough to put anyone in his right mind off. Be mindful of what you spend. If I want to take your money, I will put down here sweet words. However, if you commit your time, energy, and you are deligent, you will make huge profit.

2. Investment: We have seen farmers ask for investments here. I have taking at one time too. Just yesterday, someone came with 2 million naira co-operative fund from his company, and I told him the risks involved. The truth is, I do not want the fund; hence, I told him the truth about risks involved. I told him that my veggie farm and tree plantation which I visit 24- 7 is what I have rest of mind on. And i will not take any investment for my veggie at this time. I do not need it.

3. Loan: Get loan for a profitable business if you need to, and not for a start up.

Please, do not get me wrong, farming is profitable; however, almost everyone in it are spectators. This is my observation. You may not like my articles because I am not giving you exciting news.

I do not care about pictures which excite readers. grin And I do not expect majority to make comments here. In fact, my style of writing has changed cos I am discouraging spectators from contacting me. I prefer visting a farmer who thinks like me than meeting an investor. That money you want to put down, I can raise it but the question is how I can multiply it. I am not a magician. I work with people too. If you cannot wait for trees to produce, but you want me to sit down with cucumber and give you 200% after 60 days, while you smoke cigar at home, you are a joke. Who told you most farmers cannot raise cash to do what you want them to do. Think twice! The question is can they multiply it every time ? Good farmers can, but just take note that if it is their money, and they desperately want to make profit, they sleep on farm. Take note. Be observant. But if it is your cssh, who is gonna kill himself? Excellent farmers will not even meet you with your money. Take note. They know their limitations.

I kept track of everyone who contacted me last year, and I followed 275 people (actually i came across times 3 of this number or more). In December, I sent 275 messages (emails, instant messages, calls, etc) to have updates. 260 did nothing grin. 12 had dropped farming due to losses, and 3 were struggling. I went through the plans of the 3 people, and I pitied them. Immediately I started talking, as soon as I mentioned the first likely solution, and the reaction was negative, I swapped to what they wanted to hear. grin The road the mighty fell flat, is a road many millions fall daily.

Many owners realize after first harvest and sales of tubers that it is a worthless venture if it is less than 10 ha project. As an owner, your target with rice, cassava, yam, beans, etc should be mechanized farming. You live in Lagos, and you travel to Oyo just for 1 acre to 1 ha. Very sad. Truly sad. After you have wasted your time and resources is when you understand your loss. Why? You failed to plan. I see them daily, and I know the time to have a good conversation with them is after sales. smiley

When you hear a farmer calls 1 ha his pilot, take him serious. When you hear 3 years livestock pilot, take him serious. The farmer knows the road is full of pranks and hurdles. He wants to learn not only what to expect from the farm, but from outside it too. After 3 years of studying livestock on a micro scale, do you think he will collect investments to part away his profit with his limitations? Maybe if he sees his limitations have been reduced, he can.

No matter how you see it, my advice is that you look before you leap. Make thorough research, know your risk tolerance limit before you dive in.

When you know the game. When you live in reality. When you think like good farmers. Even you do not have time, you will become friends of excellent farmers, and opportunuties will flow. But be ready to be generous. Be ready to assist struggling farmers. It is not only about you, your investment, and huge ROI. This is selfishless. They always say: my hard earned money. Truly, it is, but do not be a fool to lose it cheaply. Make excellent farmers your friend. As a farmer, this is what I am doing presently.

Only true farmers understand what I have written here. Only true farmers understand the pain in tilling ground. The pain is why some farmers hate anything high harvest figures. Yeah. I feel them.

I do not need the majority. I need only people in the small micro fraction who understand the concept of my articles. Please, do not contact me if your expectation is bringing paradise to your farm. But if you understand that adequate preparation with having the right attitude, without being reckless with marketing research are pre- requisites to huge success, hit me. I am always eager to walk with you through the process you want to take.

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 31, 2018
2.3 Start Up Funding
Please read my post on section 2.2

Owner: I encourage owners to put in their money too. It shows that you are responsible.

Investors: Money you raise from family, friends, on nairaland, etc which you will pay dividends. If you are to register a company, all investments die with the business if it fails. It is not a liability. It means that if you can prove your business truly collapses, you are not liable for any damage. However, in the real world, this is not the case. Nairalanders will hunt you down. grin These days investments are liabilities. But for someone like me, I have learned to make my investors participate in my projects. For example, I can tell you to send a worker. So, when your worker start messing up, it is not my fault. You also should understand what we face on farm. Nothing like giving me cash, and you sit down at home eating pounded yam, while I make all the profit. Lol. If you wanna sit down, let us do it in a way I will sit down too (we use technology). In this example, 50% per annum dividend is what we will use. This plan will show exactly when contract should end. And how to pay.

Loan: This is liability. The game has changed. Financial institutions do not wait for you to return their cash from your business. They go after your monthly salary or your guarantors'. In this example, I will use 12% as intetest rate.

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 31, 2018
Ademat7:
powerful write up,when people ask me why I don't go into agric i use to tell them
*it is not a short term thing
*u need funds to support you in trying times
*u need to adapt to rural life
I want to set up plantain farm next year 1ha(in Ogun) and watch it grow to 10ha while i'm still doing my teaching job in lagos

Good points.

It is good you have not quit your teaching job.

Plantain is good. The only challenge is that you need to find a way to tackle theft. Villagers steal plantain more. 10 ha plantain is lovely.

Raise your profit to exponential 2 to 4 by making chips. So, it is paramount to go for a sweet variety. I will address this issue more when I start discussing marketing.

1 Like

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 01, 2018
2.4: Technical Advisers, learn how to gather your figures and quality inputs, and how to use them effectively

Every football club is preparing for the new season. CR7 made the biggest surprise transfer with Juventus, and Napoli started criticising the move. Lol. I guess Napoli lost the bid. CR7 is a brand. Some advisers retired last sesson - Arsene Wenger of Arsenal retired from active coaching roles. Conte of Chelsea was sacked, Mourinho is having challenges with his players again in Man U, and Pep is getting tired of Man City, might dump them any time.

One thing is clear to me, as a coach there are 3 main responsibilities on you:

1. Get the right squad, propose players to buy. Chelsea was dictating who to buy to Conte and the Italian man would not just back down. He wants what he needs. Not like Super Eagles where the stories of how the Nigerian coaches take bribe influencing who to use. One reason I love Sunday Oliseh. No nonsense coach. He shocked the players when he over ruled the norms of big players feeling too big. He might have done it in a harsh way, but he did it. Again, he did it in his club when he was asked to do what was ethically wrong.

2. Getting figures accurate. What is the top speed of your players? You get to know during trainings. Who kick(s) accurate free kicks, corners, passes, etc? Who hold(s) the ball better? Who last(s) longer on the pitch while racing all around the field?

3. Based on two above, you start making decisions - who to start with the first 11. Who to come in later? When to go out? Who to rest and not play for the day? Who to sell out? Who to loan out? Who you should buy or loan to come in? And so on.

As an owner of a micro scale farm in Nigeria, you must take up the coaching role.
1. You must gather your figures with good pilots, consulting real farmers, and conducting good marketing research.
2. You must know the right inputs to use.
3. Must be able to instruct your workers, employ and fire accurately.

Let us look at what coaches do not do:
1. They do not do vigorous work.
2. They do not necessarily attend all training sessions.
3. They participate in trainings at times just to monitor their players.
4. They are the best friend of their players. Once you become the enemy, you have lost that job. Think about how Eden Harzard led the revolt which removed Jose Mourinho, and even Conte. Neymar landed in Paris, and PSG showed Emery the way out. Even Neymar understood that he had to be silent when the likes of Messi and Suarez are in the team. And Carvanni is a big player, so he knows he must silent him or make him to be on his side. Unfortunately for Neymar, Mbappe became a hero in the world cup. What is Neymar's fate of becoming Messi? I think he will become Messi only if he can change his attitude. Messi is known to be a team player. Do you remember that penalty he did not aim for goal?
Rather he signaled to Neymar and Suarez to follow his pass. Suarez did justice to that nicely. Who passes penalty kick without aiming to score himself? That guy is a team player. But Neymar is trying to score everything in PSG. We shall all see what this coming season holds.

How I arrived at the figures I used for Sales
1. I checked market what quantity I can sell.
2. I checked how much I can sell.
3. I consulted a farmer who has about 50 papaya trees on his farm (the exact variety I want to work on). This is one of the reasons I am on nairaland. To expand my network. To get my figures more accurately. I will post the picture of the papaya pilot. I have taken his permission to use it.
4. I know about lettuce and radish very well. But I had to do pilot the first time I tried them some years ago.
5. I got a special market accidently for long finger okra. And I went deep into it to know the ins and outs of it. This is a special market and very reliable. Okra is just very easy to produce as long as pests can be keep off the farm. And it is why I have created one acre which I made a big far from the papaya site. Okra pests can be really disastrous. You gat to do pilot to know these things.

Based on these points, I remain commited to:

1. No need to train in the bush. You can train yourself at your backyard. In fact, it is the best method everyone who has gone through realises later. You are relaxed, and you can easily put your figures together. As a technical adviser or coach, you do not need to learn how to clear bush, you do not need to learn making beds, you do not need to learn many things. You only need to know how things work. You do not need to know how to do them. So, if you do not need to know how to do them, why learn how to do them? Just learn how they work. Simple as A B C. Know the main issues to look at for. What I do is to send one of my ex workers (who are their own boss now to farms to set up farms) to farms. You can find a good farmer to put you through. What you see in the bush you went to train is not what you will see on your farm.
Please, this is my personal opinion, and you are entitled to your own opinion which I respect. It is an industry which is huge enough for divers of views and opinions. My theory and believe cannot be accepted by everyone; therefore, I do not expect everyone to like my approach. Just respect my view and my opinion the way I respect yours too.

For example: You got 500grams per each okra plant during your pilot at home using 10 plants. Can you instruct your workers to replicate what you did exactly at home on 10,000 plants? How do you make sure every step you took at home is carried out on farm? If you can, you will get at worst 450grams; therefore, using 300 - 400grams per plant is not exaggeration. The same okra plant, another farmer might get 800grams at home. grin

Let us look at cucumber. Most farmers get 0.5 to 3 cukes per vine. Why don't you work conveniently at your backyard with 20 plants to raise your efficiency to 6 or 7 per vine, so that you can use 4 or 5 as your efficiency on farm. The main challenge is replicating exactly what you did at home on farm. Getting 5 cukes per vine is very possible. And if you have 10,000 plants, it is around 50,000 cukes. On farm, some will get spoilt, curved fruits rate you already know too based on your pilot. If you see your efficiency as 70%, you can easily get 35,000 cukes which is around 437 bags. You can put 10,000 cukes on 4 plots of land. Very possible. If you aim at 1 acre, you will get over 500. Now think again. What if you can shoot it to 12 cukes per vine? And you can move your efficiency on farm to 80% - over 90%. You should hit 800 to 1,200 bags per acre. The challenges are: a) can you do it at home, b) if yes, can you replicate what you did at home on farm?

2. You must be a master in making marketing research so you can get accurate figures for your financial or business plan.

4. Figures for every farm varies. I must know your efficiency before I can project figures out for you. This is why I stopped making plans. If I agree to make plans for you, then, your main guy must show me what he can do first. Then after, I can get you reliable figures. Therefore, I do not make plans for micro scale owners because they do not have the mind to make any plan. Most micro scale farm owners in Nigeria always plan to fail.

My next post will be 2 years sales for our farm.

I sincerely hope my readers are learning.

NOTE:
Do not just use figures published on nairaland. Do not use my figures too. You must know your efficiency before writing out a plan.

2 Likes

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 4:58pm On Aug 01, 2018
2.5: Do not be careless with your figures. Be prepared to be called a Scammer.

Before I publish sales, you must realise that success is based on how smooth you can replicate the steps you took on your pilot program. It is why I always encourage farmers and owners to do pilots. I always do it.

My Limitation
Replicating my pilots is my greatest challenge too. I do not know how to run after workers to follow my steps. They deliberately go against my rules. I closed down all my micro scale farms because of this reason. But I have guided some people, and they are doing great. Recently, I turned to indoor hydroponics with grow light. I converted a room in my house into a garden. In fact, this has discouraged me from travelling to farm. New way of making constant income for me without stress or always travelling to farms. Cost of production went down drastically. No salary I am presently paying, logistics went down by 90%, inventory purchase went down drsatically, etc.

The figures in this plan are reasonable, but achieving them depends on your efficiency on farm. Many things go wrong on farm, and over 90% are wokers-based. If you want to make profit with rest of mind, spend money on indoor farming. And do it yourself. You do not need any worker, or maybe you need just one worker.

Scammers and Investors
There are scammers everywhere, and these people have destroyed opportunities.

Case 1: He wanted me to train him. He said he had been scammed previously. I gave him the list of what to buy, he could not buy them. He insisted that I should buy for him, but he must see me, and he must investigate me before he sends the money for what he needs to buy to learn. I allowed him finish. After his rants, I told him to leave my telegram chat. He felt I was kidding, I am not bothered because he cannot be in my network. It is not by force. And I do not blame him too. He tried communicating me recently, and I told him to go and look for another person as I am not interested in his rants. I wanted to help him, and he was giving me conditions. Lol. Since I am not a scammer, I do not need his money.

Case 2: He is an irrigation seller. He had contacted me 3 months earlier, had tried impressing me with his website, his skills, etc. So, I told him what to buy and things he could not get. He wanted to impress me further by paying fast. I said ok. Then, I told one of my associates to pack things together for him. He did a bad job with the package. And I apologized to him. In fact, I deliberately repacked some items for him again and added extra things which I told him about. I later realised that he was not interested in what he was doing at the time. He wanted me to test some seeds he is importing. He actually wants to be selling the seeds. When I told him "no" that I cannot do it, and I even recommended a masters holder in Agricultural diploma who can get the job done, he wrote me a nasty message. Called me a thief, and many names. I was silent. I was not surprised that he returned after 3 weeks (they always return). That was when I knocked him out, and bashed him. Selfish people. I know he is reading my message as he is a follower. I wish nairaland can create a button to allow me block some people from following me.

Why am I writing about this? While making market research, people will try killing your morale. Some will call you a scammer. Some will even abuse you. In fact, many will frustrate your effort unknowingly.

Your chance of getting investors online is slim. You will be called a scammer. What you need to do is to find investors around you - your siblings, family, or friends. I do not encourage you to come online to look for investors. Bad people have closed opportunities for good people.

If you need to get investors online, do not ask. Just start sharing details about your projects. Investors will come to you. When they come, present your business plan, and start flying.

Do not take every investment offer. Some are killers. As I am writing, i have dividends I have not yet paid. Just that the people know me well, and they know the challenges we faced on the farm. Like I always say, I am not a magician. Many things have gone wrong on my farms too. Many losses. Lol!

Ooops! You have read about my limitations. This answers why I am not yet a billionaire like how someone asked me recently. The road to making billions is rough. Endurance is the key. It will come someday. Eradicating my limitations is the solution. Right now, I need to take steps backward. If you have asked me to assist you on your farm and I told you are capital NO; hmmmmmmm, this is the reason.

2 Likes

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 9:24am On Aug 02, 2018
2.6: Sales

Notes:
1. I contracted a good farmer to assist me with papaya set up. He will be visiting the farm every week.
2. Investors have agreed to do weekly visitation too. So, it looks like we will be having regularly visitations on the farm. They are involved only with Papaya.
3. I contracted one of my ex workers to manage the farm. He will handle radish and lettuce. I am going to be on farm during major activities like: plantimg, transplanting, special visitations, and harvesting. I am going to take care of okra, but I will contract another farmer to supervise my worker during cucumber.
4. Expenses will be high. I have outsourced many activities just to stay off farm.
5. No permanent worker, except my ex worker who also has his farm too. If we are succesful, he will drop his farm and work permanently on the farm. He is waiting to see if I will honor my part of the deal. We will employ casual workers and pay daily or weekly wages.

Lettuce: I know my ex worker's capability, and we schedule it in a way we will have weekly harvest. So, we start harvesting from the third month. As soon as Papaya plants cover everywhere, we will stop. Same with radish.

Radish: Same as lettuce above.

Okra: Just two times in a year.

Cucumber: When we can sell at good price.

Papaya: Sales start after the 10th month.

I will might another post on sales to show more details.

Consistency and Efficiency

While I will guard papaya with everything in me, I have made up my mind to gamble with lettuce and radish to see the efficiency. In the real world, it is normal for me not to follow start up plan in this thread, as I will delay purchasing of many items. I deliberated chose lettuce and radish to test if this kind of outsourcing is going to work. However, papaya must work. If others do not work, I will know after three months. And there is no need to waste so much cash. Plan back to only Papaya. And I will allow my ex worker use the rest of the land outside papaya field so he can be locked up on the farm. So, I need to do him "good" too. And he is going to beg for farm inputs sooner or later. grin

I hope you are beginning to identify your limitations. This is what this thread is about. You must understand yourself before you embark on this journey.

Let no consultant, trainer, motivator deceive you. It is only you who can make this journey succesful.

The Nigerian system in every aspect in all industries: education, farming, health, etc has been bastardized. Everyone for ONLY himself . You are sick, you just need to find a way out. No good health policy. Before you decide to go under knife here, just write out your will. In fact, get like additional fund in fixed deposit for each of your children so that if families tackle them, and seize all your properties, they have money to still move ahead. If you do not do that, and you go under knife in Nigeria, they will come to your grave and weep bitterly how you left them for wolves. The simplest surgery takes Nigerian forcefully and unprepared on eternal journey. I am talking from experience how farmers stress themselves and just slump suddenly. Many stories within this short period I work in rural areas.

Let us keep praying for Nigeria. The day we have the "will" to do what is just and right, without being forced, that is the day we are liberated from backwardness.

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 11:48am On Aug 02, 2018
TIP 2.0: I SWOT-ed Myself

S - Strengths - Internal
W - Weaknesses - Internal
O - Opportunities - External
T - Threats - External

When you cannot personalize business tools and use them to your specific case, that is when you are a theoritical person. If you take these tools and you are able to scan yourself, you are sure going to make some good decisions. Maybe, you will just sign off, and know that you are not ready, or you are motivated to start.

You should SWOT yourself now so you do not dream "Alice in Wonderland". Oh, when I retire, I will set up a good farm. Lol. You better SWOT yourself now so you can face the future well prepared.

Strengths
What I am good at which affect this business positively.
1. I am a good communicator. I can easily conduct interview without my audience feeling the stressed. It will just be normal discussion. Therefore, market research is very easy for me.
2. I endure very well. So, I can live in rural area. I have a neighbor who graduated a year ago. He wanted to learn farming. He has zero experience. I told him I will start with N50,000 and see if he can learn well. All I need him do was to supervise workers. Do you know that he started asking for a well furnished apartment to live? He wants 24-7 light, generator on. He wants 24-7 internet, therfore, he demanded to stay where internet is stable. And I get to pay his transport to farm since houses with good internet services are far away. I said OK. So, I rang a colleague and asked him for Shonghai form. I gave it to him, and told him to go get experience there with his money. When he is sound, he should return and we can talk. grin
3. I have enough experience to know what to expect.
4. I have the grace to pull together huge amount of money for a big project. God has blessed me with a network that has cut across oceans.
5. I am not ONLY farmer. Infact, I am a strategist first, and I build businesses; therefore, I understand the concept of building.
6. I can train. I always employ people with zero skill.
7. I can explain explicitly to the dumpest person on earth, even with mobile apps, but when I reach my elasticity limit, it is over. Next person!
8. My professional life is totally different from my private life. I wonder how people live their lives on social media. The day one of my workers brought his intelligent daughter to farm, and I noticed her, and I was so much into her that I abandoned everything else I was doing, they started saying "so this man sabi play with pikin, and him go dey do like say him be no nonsense person". I heard them, and we had good time that day. Lol. Workers can drive you crazy. Walahi!

Weaknesses
What I need to improve on.
1. I have my elasticity limit. And I reached it recently with rural life. Therefore, it is time to move to something else, or do it commercially in a very big way.
2. I can be harsh without knowing.
3. I cannot stand over workers in the name of supervising them. Most small business owners do this. I was chatting with a friend who resides abroad, and she said that even there are businesses in developed countries where owners must monitor everything. One of them is food outlets. You just must monitor your workers. I agree. Hey! I will not do such business. Lol.
4. I do not have enough patience with an extreme slow person. I wish I can.. sad
5. Theft is hard to eradicate because I do not live on my farms, so I must stay on farm to check it.

Opportunities
I call these goodluck. I have no direct control over them. Let me take advantage of them while they last.
1. There are AgroServices centres close to my farm which I take opportunities of.
2. I have huge manure close to my veggie farm that I do not need to buy.
3. I have a supplier who brings agro- chemical to my farm, so it cuts down my expenses.
4. I scout for technologies I can use on my farm. Planters, Transplanters, mulch, drip, etc. Most people see tech as no go area. They will not improve with such way of life. Just choose what is useful, and not buy jargons.
5. The tools for setting up a farm which needs minimal visitation is on ground. These are what I am working on.
6. Potential investors all around my business.

Threats
What this world has brought on me that I must find ways to manage them in order to move on.
1. Boko Haram. I would have moved to the northern part of Naija.
2. Herdsmen. I have deliberately ignored some nice locations.
3. Poor Workers. No matter how I change these set of workers, they will yield nothing better.
4. 2019 election is near. Time to wait, and watch what is going on. Will there be change of power? I need to PEST my myself and my business. I talked about my love for cocoa business. This is why I chilled out after I returned from my journey to Abidjan. Plan on hold just to see what happens in 2019.
5. This Green Passport is more disadvantage for anyone doing international business. Way out is to build ones name. Dangote is beyond the limitation of this green passport. You might think this issue is affecting us only. Ask Wizkid. Lol. It is a serious work to build ones name beyond the limitations of this green passport.

Can you start seeing why and how I made some decisions? I do not just make decisions. I always use business tools.

Why don't you SWOT yourself?

NOTE:
I have deliberately manipulated my SWOT result so you do not guess who I am. So, do not think the REAL person is above. grin
Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 12:22pm On Aug 03, 2018
2.7: Sales Contd.
The main focus of this farm is papaya. I estimated that around 1,800 plants is the closest total number of female/bisexual plants on the field to give maximum yield based on my method of managing papaya, and based on the variety. Yours might/will be different. You must do a pilot to know this figure. Male plants are needed for excellent pollination too. How to go about achieving this needs real calculation, and a well executed plan. Anyway, I am not going into the details of how we want to do it. Also, male plants must be uniformly distributed on the farm. This is very important. Most farmers do not know about this simple technique(can be complex if you do not know what to do). This is one of the main reasons many papaya trees do not produce well.

Papaya needs extreme high rate of macro-nutrients, and micro should be given in the right proportion too. In addition, the ability to implement an effectice Integreted Pest Management program determines papaya farm success.

Papaya is the King
Please, take a glance through the attached pictures. From our pilot (note the farm used for pilot is not mine, I have taken permission to use the picture), we got a flush in the first year, we are already in the second year. Then, I know 2 lovers of trees who have similar varieties in their compounds. Both gardeners had 2 flushes in the second year, though after interviewing them, I realised they did not feed the plants well. Most likely, we will achieve 3 flushes the second year, but I decided to limit it to 2 flushes. And since I do not have a reliable way of getting the 3rd year figures, I decided to keep it at 1 flush. If this is the case, the probability of running veggie on the farm is slim since I might risk too much. Therefore, I did not add sales of veggie to third year. Well, if we get 3 flushes the second year, I am going to move ahead with veggie in the third year because it is most likely I get 2 flushes in the third year. This means, we will have sales in the fourth year too. Lovely.

Looking at the yearly sales picture, you can see that the highest sales and revenue crop is papaya.

Unit Cost
I was able to know the unit of each crop after conducting a thorough market research. Though, I am thinking of developing retail markets which will be per kg for all the products, but the wholesale market is: per dozen for lettuce, per bag for radish, per 1.5kg pack for okra, per bag for cucumber, and per dozen for papaya.

[b]Sales Unit [b]
I am going to use only cucumber as an example of how we got the figures for the unit sales. The list of all direct cost of sales are: Nutrients, chemicals, materials for stakes, and bags. I calculated the cost of what we will use from A to Z (Salaries, wages, and logistics are not included in direct cost of production). You can know this after you have done your own pilot. It is why I pity newbies who ask dumb questions like: what quantity of fertilizer should I use? What quantity of fungicide? What this? What that? Please, can some help me with the cost of doing 1 acre of whatever veggie you want to do? You are dumb and careless if you ask such question. You have dug your own failure from the day you asked this business suicide question. I am sure such thread will soon be created. Just take note. But the answers you need can be accurately known when you conduct a good pilot. There is a method I have which I can use to know the closest nutrient I need for any farm without doing soil test. I do not do soil tests again. Never! Well, I still conduct tests but not to take it to any laboratory in Nigeria. If it is nutritional and ph tests, I do not bother to consult laboratories. My pilot will show me what I need to know. Also, it always show me what kind of soil diseases to expect on the farm. I have done some crazy projects that I just went in like a blind farmer, the way many do it. I was burnt the last time, and never will I take such risk again. It is a risk that is not worth it.

How many bags of NPK do you need? How many bags of Urea? How many bags of other major nutrients? If you are using fertigation and mulch, you spend less. What are the methods of combating pests you want to adopt? And what is the cost? Fungicides are extremely expensive; therefore, you must get the closest cost.

My figures are realistic. But the big question is: How well can my team replicate our pilot on this farm? If you can read financial plans very well, you should have no problem with calculating the number of fuits each plant can produce during each flush. Honestly, papaya is a very good crop which can make you smile. And I have a huge market for this crop because I sat down and did the right thing.

Please, do not write me to help you sell your papaya after you have already set up your farm, and you have having nightmares with selling your fruits. I will not do anything for you. However, if you want to set up excellently with good seedlings in the right proportion of male to bisexual/female, and you are ready to move out of your comfort zone to make a good market research, shoot me a message on telegram, or email me. You do not have to go with this high start up cost. Of course, you need to look at yourself and scale down your cost according to your capacity. SWOT yourself.

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 04, 2018
TIP 2.1: What is an excellent pilot program?

1. High yield. High average weight of fruits per plant.
2. Excellent weed management. Think of methods to combat weed. It took me a long time to realise that weeding manualy is a terrible operation for plants. Many do not know. The moment you weed manually, and you do not take precaution, you have reduced yield. The best method is not to carry it out.
3. You may improve on plant population with frequent pilots.

Cucumber: My last pilot was 17.3 fruits per vine (not so sure unless I check my file, but around this figure). My next field operation if I am going to be there must be minimum of 12 fruits per vine. And I will not do more than 3 plots to manage it well. My efficiency will reduce drastiacally if I do more than 3 plots for now. But when I deploy more advance technologies, then, I can shoot to many acres. The challenge with most people I give the secrets to is replicating it on farm. They all agreed with me that they need to chill out, and plan well. One of my guys got 9. He was so happy, but he also said that he is working on how to replicate it on farm. At worst, this guy will get 6 on field if he can replicate his pilot. All the people who rushed to farm failed. I deliberately allowed them without pilot to see if any will be successful. If they had done pilot, they would have known the activities they are going to do. "Ha! Fluentinfor, i did not do mine like this oooo before talking to you. Ha, i did not know it will take more time. I rushed it the last time! Ha! I think I need to give up now" grin i gave them step by step of what to do. They thought it was easy until they started. Then, I told them again, return to pilot. Some of them listened, and are doing it now. While some quit farming. They just do not want to do pilot. And I will not farm for anyone. Why meet me? Fluentinfor, can we meet? For what? Go do your pilot. The time you want to use to meet me, go use it to buy your materials. See me for what? For me to come farm for you? You are not ready to start producing veggie.

Tomato: To extend life span of plants to 7 months. Harvest should be 4 months. Yes, it is very possible. With a good variety, and deligent work. I aim at 3kg per plant per month. My pilot was 2.97kg for 5.4 months harvest. Unfortunately, I was not on farm when we did 1 acre. I was just given instruction via phone. We had 1.5kg per plant for just 2 months. Was still ok. grin

Okra: 1.5kg per plant. But on my plan, I limited it to 400grams per plant. Still ok. Inside me, I will try to make 1.3kg per plant since I want to be on farm to do it.

Capsicum: This is what I love. About 50 farmers pulled resources together to get quality net and accesoeies to start covered production. Project starts later in the year. Pilot is still on. Target: 10 tons for 1,000sqm.

Some of us will pass, some will fail. I am just showing you how to motivate yourself. After your pilot, you definitely will have answers to your success or failure on your farm. If you do not know why you failed, then you certainly do not know what you are doing.

When you fail, but you know where you need improvement, you will still be fullfilled. So, you need to start working on improving your weaknesses. If it is changing all your workers, you do it. And let me tell you, it is very possible you just see that one acre cucumber is too much for you to do. Then, return to pilot to get 8 fruits if you are on 6 fruits. Maybe you SWOTed yourself, and you see that for you to endure rural life, you need like 350 bags. Presently, you can achieve 210 on 1 acre, but your first farming experience was 305 bags per acre. And you know you can do only 1/2 acre. It means that you must move up the fruits per plant you produce. Return to pilot.

You do not need me to do a great pilot. You can do it yourself. The only advantage I see is that rubbing minds together before doing pilots is good. I do it all the time. I consult good farmers. Someone might know a new product and tell me his experience and result.

While I am on holiday (no field work for now), I am using 1 plot behind my house for a pilot of some crops.

I am all about pilot. I always do it. I spend on my pilots. Why don't you also cultivate the habit of always doing pilots. Pilots can be expensive. If you are a miser, you can go to farm without it, and keep losing your money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 05, 2018
FAQ 2.0: What do you advise me do if I do not have time to learn veggie, but I want to set up a farm?
Someone asked me this quesrion yesterday again.

The truth is that if it is a micro scale farm, you have a very slim chance of success if you depend on those illiterate workers on farm.

I am not trying to scare you. The best option for you is to set up a nethouse. You should try to know the A to Z of nethouse management. Employ an educated worker who you can discuss efficiency with. However, you need to know how to manage the person. Many people are dishonest these days.

In addition, you may try few plots of open field too to see if it can be profitable.

This is what I think you should do. If you want to do 5 acres and you do not have time to go to farm, best of luck to you. I can give you A to Z of what you need to know.

Nethouse is expensive, but it is what I called rest of mind. I do not recommend less than 1,000sqm. And you should be ready to spend minimum of 5 million naira to set up a good farm.

However, I still think you should find your way to farm every weekend. This is my suggestion. When the reward starts coming, you will always be grateful to God for making such decision.

If you do not have time to monitor your workers almost 24- 7, stay away from open field. Do not let any consultant or farmer trick you that farm managers will take care of your farm. Stay away from open field farming if you are not the main supervisor on your farm. I repeat, stay away.
Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 06, 2018
TIP 2.2: When Everything is Against You
Do not be deceived, you can plan excellently, and fail gallantly. grin

Think about Aliko Dangote. Oh! My conversation today with a lovely friend who I cherish so much inspired me to make this post. Are we saying Aliko did not plan his Tomato paste factory excellently? He had his figures, they were accurate. He went further to research the kind of seeds farmers who want to supply him should use. Is it not the one buying? Can he not "have a say" to what he wants to buy? Personally, I do not know why the farmers are useless kind of people. I swear, poverty is a real disease. Those farmers think they have boxed him to a corner. It happens everytime. I assure you that those farmers have lost the best opportunity that will ever come near them, and they will regret their action. Their unborn children will curse them. Wait and see.

Just make your research well. Farmers in most places sell at a constant price to themselves. Even workers take certain amount. But when you step in, they tripple the amount they want. Ok. You agree to give them, and you might think you have bought them. See, the way they will still turn against you.... grin If you bring your workers, the leader of the village will be at your door to start saying how ungrateful you are. He will preach how they accepted you, supported you, yet, you chose to not employ among them. But try to employ them and see the result.

Well, I must say that this does not always happen in the north. Seriously, my abokis (friends) are more loyal than their southern counterparts. They will help you, support your farm. Well, I was shocked that farmers in the north treated Aliko Dangote badly. Hmmmm.

Anyway, I have noticed, when everything is against you, top on the list is that people are against you. The people can be your workers, your fellow farmers, the villagers, etc. Check well.

When your community is peaceful, you do not need to fence round your farm. The cost of managing dishonesty is too huge. Managing dishonesty is crazily expensive. This is a cost which should not come up.

When workers are against you, change them. Do not manage them. Count your loss, and move on.

When your partner is against you, please, leave in peace. Count your loss, and move on. I always leave. It is why I do not meet people so that I am not tempted to partner with anyone again.

The easiest and the hardest force to handle is you. When you are against yourself, you are DEAD, except, there is divine intervention.

Take a break if you are facing challenges that you cannot tackle easily. Return when you are ready. Do not force success, it comes gradually.

Veggie farming is so lucrative that you can be so wealthy easily. And it breaks down to the stage suicide becomes an option.

Before everything goes upside down, sit down to SWOT yourself. If you do not have time to run after workers, please, stay away from open field farming. Stay away from Plantain and Banana because if you cannot manage theft.
Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 10:20am On Aug 07, 2018
2.8: Cash Flow
I take the cash flow statement seriously more than the income statement. Even as an investor, I care more about the cash flow statement. Well, I am not criticising you for running after the profit you are making as an investor or an owner, just that I think you are not smart to do that.

How smart are you
Your cash flow reveals how smart you are. I care less about immediate wealth, but I want to know how well you want to manage your finance. What do you do with cash flowing in, and how do you want to release them to fulfill the purpose of the plan.

How careful are you?
This statement gives me clues how extravagant or tight with money you are. grin At one end is extravagancy and at the other end is being a lousy santa claus. I expect you to aim at balancing yourself between the two ends.

How desperate, tough, hard or determined are you?
In addition, this statement shows me who you are. Even you do not have it, there are specific questions I will ask, and I can make a good guess. Many people think some questions I ask are foolish or stupid questions, but they fail to realise that foolishness and stupidity can topple lousiness.

Shows the appropriate estimated time to pay dividends
I really do not listen to when you want to pay, but I use figures to measure your claims. Yeah! In the real world, it fails many times. As long as you cannot replicate your pilot, everything here is bla bla bla bla.

I always keep my cash flow. Like I wrote in some of my posts, last year was terribly hard for me. It was the second year of trying to implement staying off farms. And I said I took investments from farmers (at least I thought so...lolz) and it was not going on well. Some people asked for refund later. And despite knowing I can easily pay them at the time, I asked them to give me time. When I put my figures together, it was a suicide mission to pay. I told them straight that they must wait so I quickly get pressing activities done. My point is that as an owner, you must have a good cash flow.

No matter how promising a business looks, if it fails during your first attempt, the way you spend cash determines if you will be able to bounce back easily. This is not a matter of having a special fund called miscellaneous expenses. Also, it is different from having a reserved fund for terrible days. In fact, know that no matter how promising your business is, you will face terrible days. Cucumber can fetch you 4 million naira in 45 to 90 days. HURRAY! That same cucumber can send you to relocate permanently to your village after losing your pension.

Cash Flow shows me your love for money And remember what Bible says, the love of money is the root of all evil.

I will post the cash flow of this plan next.

1 Like

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 09, 2018
FAQ 2.0: Where does a Pilot Program come into play?
One young lady talked to me about pilot yesterday. And I am still trying to see if I should edit my topic to "three" pre- requites.

Without Pilot, it is may be hard to get good figures. Why must you trust figures from the internet. If you do, sorry, you are a fool.

You can trust figures from a farmer who you know very well. However, be careful because many people do not know how to give accurate figures despite they are good workers. You must know how to ask questions to pull out "almost accurate" figures.

I notice that most people are always in hurry to get started. I was in hurry too when I first started. I assure you that you will rush out of business.

My Trainings are Pilots
How do you rely on the figures of one consultant concerning the output of 100 acres of corn? Honestly, I get really angry when people just accept figures from sources that cannot be trusted. I am using corn as an example. What stops you from doing a pilot to know how good you are in it? What do you need to try:
1. Different seeds
2. Yield of the seeds
3. Diseases resistance level of the seeds
4. What to expect on field, etc.

You heard a variety can give you 12 tons per ha, and you decide to feed it exactly like how you feed the one which you know gives 1 ton per ha. Are you not a joke? And then, you come out later to say the producer is a liar. You are a big fool. grin When you know nutritional management well, you will know what nutrient to increase, when to, and how to. But you only read that you put one pinch of NPK in the soil 10 days after sowing. And after some days again, you put another pinch of NPK. You do not even know the type of NPK. Oh! NpK is NPK. You are a fool for not trying to understand the concept. Do you learn such concept on farm? You better sit tight, go back to your drawing and get basic concepts right.

What are the nutrients your plants needs during vegetative stage? What do they need during flowering? And what do they need during fruitimg stage? If your plants are producing weekly for a long term (greenhouse varieties), what do you need to do to make them produce longer and more? Honestly, when you do a pilot, and you mix different nutrients for different plants, you start seeing results. Gradually, you start seeing things yourself. You do not need me to teach you A to Z. I can only guide you. In fact, I learn from you when I pilot you on any program. I hate with passion people who abandon pilots. Why won't you fail when you cannot take a pilot to an expected end? It is why I do not want lazy and confused people. I am sorry if I am hard, but I am so straight forward. I have worked with "awon oloriburuku" like howmy Yoruba people call them. Ha! I sieve and check well so that you do not bring me bad luck. I need people with brain, and who can endure. Not "jam jam" and "fire brigade" people. It is better to relax and do nothing at home, rather than suffer in the bush and lose everything because some lazy people are frustrating one on farm. I am sure you have experienced what I am trying to say here. "Oloriburuku" keep far away from me. I "waka" far from you. "Oloriburuku" keep your money. I do not need it.

If you do one plot corn, learn every aspect of corn management. Pest management, weed management, Nutritional management, test your planter, test your transplanter, test everything very well. Arrange your programs well.

For example, you are testing weed management, try a portion with hand weeding, and you try up to 10 different herbicides on different spots to see the results. One herbicide can be N6,000 a bottle, and you need just a few drops for the trial. Oh! It is waste of money. Yes, you will buy many things that you will use just a little from it. Yes, I do it many times. If I show you my store, and you see what I packed inside, you will laugh at me. But these days, I have started selling them since I have expanded my network. I felt those things are waste, but recently, I have started turning them to income. Nothing wastes. What you do not need after trial, just keep it. If you can sell it, good.

Without a good pilot, your financial plan might be a plan to fail

Take up different plants, different varieties and do a wonderful pilot. Cucumber, Watermelon, Pepper, Tomato, Okra, Corn, Soy, Millet, Papaya, Pineapple, Citurs, etc.

Corn Farm, No Rain in June, July this year
Last year June/July was with quality rain. But the three previous years before last year had been with no rain. See, June/July are false rainy months to me. I learned well. Rice farmers are weeping right now because the loss this year June/July was terrible for many of them. Rain pattern has changed. NiMet publications are always late. I always follow their advices because those people know their job, but always late. So, I rely on it for only third quarter of the year.

Rain has been steady from September to October/Early November for five years consecutive now. I keep track of this. If you notice well, watermelon farmers are more succesful when they start with early rain in March/April. But they always face challenges in September because of heavy rain.

Again, corn production is always disappointing with lower yield from March to June because of low rain level. But late corn planting always yield better these days.

If I were you, I would find a land where there is stream, and do just 5 ha max if I intend doing 20 ha without irrigation. Irrigation is the KEY. No stress, No fear.

9.5 tons per ha of corn in Calabar
My friend rang me and we went for a pilot 2 years ago. I guided him online, though I visited his farm. He is a good farmer too. We tried many approaches. We focused on carterpilar eradication, weed management with herbicides, macro + macro nutritional program, irrigation frequency, and we arrived at the best population. In fact, I was thrilled myself. What amazed me was that this guy went to the farm he is using, did one plot pilot again on the farm. In fact, he bought 5 different kinds of planters and he collected very cheap money from farmers. No one knew he was doing his pilots. But these days owners are money lovers. You ask them for planters, they give you crazy bill. He knew the one to use on different kind of soil texture. He knew how tractor ploughing should be done so that his planter can work at 99% efficiency. He also practised transplanting. He did a wonderful pilot. I was so impressed. [b]What stops you from doing 1 plot first, and thenafter 1 acre pilot if you want to do 50 acres? [b] If it is 1 year the pilot is going to take, so be it. Is it not wise? If you get 7 tons on 1 ha, is it not equal to 7ha of another farmer?

Oh! I have a fixed amount for my project, I do not want to exceed it. Ok. Someone was chatting with me yesterday when the subject came up. He is able to spend 3 to 5 million naira on his project. I had to tell him what his options are. In all, I noticed that he did not even for one second discuss Market Research. I was like "Waooooo". All he is looking for is products with Available Market. I need to make post on this too soon.

As an owner, stop depending on consultants' figures. Stop depending on consultants telling you where you failed, or where you need to improve on. What you need to do with consultants is to brainstorm. You sit them down and figure out where you missed it. When you experience a serious disease outbreak, you call consultants, or go for laboratory tests. Consultants might brainstorm with you which tests to carry out, and where to carry them out. You must always be in the picture.

I was assisting some elderly people some years back, and they brought in two young fellows. The young guys would sit when we get to farm. And the elderly ones always learning. When harvest time came, I was carrying baskets with the boys harvesting, but these young guys did nothing. They did not know that I was checking the farm if there is any sign of disease. After the harvest, the elderly people asked me for farm helping hands, and I was happy to assist. That was when these foreigners were still loyal. But the young boys rang me and said, we will pay you this amount to manage a big farm for us. I looked at them and kept silent. If I can assist the boys on farm while checking the crops, what stops me? I still join my workers. And new workers always want to stop me. But when people who had worked with me are around, they always step in that they should leave me, and that I am observing how they work. I always laugh. They always talk in their native languages. I dont always understand what they say, but their actios tell me someone among them have told them. Lol.

No kind of experience eradicates pilot programs. Every new variety I try must be tested first. I am human like you, I make mistakes too. I have my losses too, but the habit of always doing pilot programs make me a unique farmer. For example, I have written earlier, my pilots tell me that I should have 900 to 1,400 bags per acre of 12,000 plants but I got around 300 bags 4 times consecutively. I decided to stay on farm for like 40% period of the time needed for full time farm management and we recorded 535 bags. As soon I did not show up again, it went down to 200. I had to close the farm. The workers are stubborn people I cannot deal with. Pilots reveal your weaknesses on farm

Is it not better to waste N600,000 on a pilot, rather than waste N6,000,000 on the main project?

My trainings are always pilots. I believe so much in Do- It-Yourself.

Note: My threads and posts are mainly for micro- scale farms. There are different approaches to managing commercial farm; though, the concept of farming is same.
Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 10, 2018
2.9: Cash Flow, Income Statement, and Balance Sheet
I intended explaining in details these 3 main aspects of a financial statement; however, I cannot due to the kind of questions I have been answering. They are just too much for me, and I do not just turn people away. I can imagine what is going to happen if I go further. Therefore, I have decided to post only the annual projections with no details. Also, some of the figures are not accurate.

A special note in the balance sheet is the inventory. It cannot be high like that in the real world. I deliberately manipulated the figures. Also, in cash flow table, tax is not really accurate. Anyway, who pays tax for micro scale farm in Nigeria? Do you know? Again, I did not include investment plan and pay back tables as I had planned. In addition, the interest bank rate of loan is not accurate. Actually, I planned to use any of the the following: BOA, or BOI, or CBN Anchor Program interest rate

Sorry guys, I cannot just cope with the number of questions I got because of my previous posts.

Please, treat this post as an example which shows how the three statements look like. grin I am moving to marketing research tips, and then write my conclusion, and recommendation.

1 Like

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 12:42pm On Aug 11, 2018
Wow... I just speechless sir. I have never read anything honest and encouraging like this since 2012 that I join Nairaland.
Thank you so much sir for your time... May Allah in his i finite mercy reward you because we humans can't reward you enough for this noble work you have doing here.

I waited patiently for the conclusion and recommendation aspect.

Well I will also like to met you know that I am a young entrepreneur looking forward to starting my micro farm next month... I will be based on Poultry farm, Snail Farm and other livestock farming as well as Cucumber farming with just one plot of land available to me cry

I hope you will have some words for me sir. I mean your in depth and honest advice.

Stay blessed boss.
Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 11, 2018
abiodunalasa:
Wow... I just speechless sir. I have never read anything honest and encouraging like this since 2012 that I join Nairaland.
Thank you so much sir for your time... May Allah in his i finite mercy reward you because we humans can't reward you enough for this noble work you have doing here.

I waited patiently for the conclusion and recommendation aspect.

Well I will also like to met you know that I am a young entrepreneur looking forward to starting my micro farm next month... I will be based on Poultry farm, Snail Farm and other livestock farming as well as Cucumber farming with just one plot of land available to me cry

I hope you will have some words for me sir. I mean your in depth and honest advice.

Stay blessed boss.

Amen to your prayer.

We are going to quickly discuss section three - marketing research before conclusion and recommendation(s).

About your farm, shoot me a mail. Or better still, get me on telegram.

1 Like

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 4:52pm On Aug 11, 2018
3.0: The Smart "Mumu" (Slowpoke) and the Readily Available Market
I have been talking to farmers, but believe me, they are not wise. Yes, owners are even more stupid than local farmers. As an owner, you went to college, you have interacted with different kinds of people, yet, you go to farm, and you prefer the ways of the farmers. I was talking to someone a few hours ago, and he said he is cutting down the number of NPK bags from 23 to 9 because the local farmers in the area said they do not use it. And this fellow did a pilot which requires about 23 bags. I was shocked how the "so called" educated people behave stupidly when it comes to doing business with farmers in the villages. What is wrong with you being the boss on your farm? Is it not your hard earned money? When you are not sure of yourself, you cannot be a boss. Waooo! Do a pilot, and be sure of yourself before moving to farm.

The ways owners are not smart is the way local farmers are so unwise they always do not consider retailing first. Everyone on nairaland is going into cucumber because someone has exposed the secrets of the cucumber market here. But in reality, those village farmers do not know about cucumber well. You may need to check it out. So, farmers on nairaland too behave stupidly. Lol. Everyone is trying to sell cucumber because there is a readily available market . Interesting!

What happens to you is that you have boxed yourself to a tight corner if you always wait to produce only products with readily available market. For christ sake, let market dictate what you produce. Don't you get it? Why force cucumber or tomatoes on the market? It is after you start harvesting you start looking around where you can sell. What if your products are out when there is glut? Come on!

When you allow "readily available market" dictate what you produce, be ready to become an "original mumu" who is tossed here and there by the network which made the market to be readily available. Except you decide to be a smart slowpoke. Lol.

The Smart Mumu
The smart slowpoke looks naive outside, but he is damn smart inside. He does his home work perfectly. If you read through nairaland agricultural section, everyone aims at producing all through the year. For example, most cucumber farmers want to produce constantly. Are you kidding me? You are not using the right technology, but improvising with your energy, yet you want to do it continously. For example, you cut bamboo sticks instead of using galvanised pipes as stakes and you want to be cutting bamboos all through the year, you will visit the hospital soon. You use ropes instead of nets, won't you kill your back all through the year? Hmmmm! The smart slowpoke knows his limitations; therefore, he plays safe to his advantage by finding loopholes in the marketing structure of anything readily available. He asks himself the following questions:

1. When is scarcity of this readily available market? And why?
2. When is the glut period? And why?

The smart slowpoke might produce just only once a year and he ends up making more profit than the original slowpoke who works 24/7, January to December on the farm. Also, the smart slowpoke combines his market research and financial plan to scale properly how big he should produce. What a smart way out!

The Hausas will continue dominating the political game in Nigeria
Southerners think they are smart, but "dem be mumu". Lol. (THIS IS A JOKE, PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ME SERIOUS, BUT THE LESSON HERE IS OBVIOUS). Let me tell you something. Hausas are smarter than any tribe when it comes to being conservative and making almost accurate calculations.

I was trying to buy "suya" (roasted spiced beef always prepared by the Hausa men) from my friend, but he was not around. I met someone else. I asked: "Aboki, wey Ibrahim?" The new guy responded "Ha! Ibrahim don go village and he no go return quick. Na me dey here to sell". I was curious to know what was going on. After "rapping" all the pidgin out of my mouth, I realised Ibrahim had gone to his village in the north to farm as he is targeting high millet sales. When sales is low, he is in Lagos making suya. Interesting!

Saraki seems to be a special Specie
I have not made comment on this forum in the political section, but I follow the Nigerian politics. The audience here is just too emotional (not my kind to discuss politics with). When you read curses, insults, and explosive comments on the political section, you just but wonder if these guys here really understand the game. But the truth is that some comments are damn funny. When you want to laugh, just go through politics on nairaland. You will laugh till you even forget yourself. For example, the kind of comments I read about the lawmaker - Goodhead or what is her name sef? Lol That woman who confronted the Security guys who blocked the entrance to the Lawmakers' chamber last week, the same woman was rough handled in 2015 or so. Ok, the 2015 incident, the pictures, how she was "bundled" in a truck, the mopol focusing on her big "ikebe" (butt), and the nairaland comments were so hilarious.

Anyway, here is my point, Abubarkar Olusola Saraki seems to be a smart slowpoke. Abubarkar - Moslim/Hausa name; Olusola - Yoruba; so you get my drift. And it looks like he was a "mumu" at the start of this regime. He was harrased with court cases just because he out-smarted the favorite chosen candidate for the seat of the senate president. Remember, this guy worked as a special adviser for General Obasanjo in budget related matters. Do you not get it that it takes a real smart man to be a bridge between the executive and the legivelative? He had worked as a director of a bank, and do not forget that he is a medical doctor. Again, a state governor for 8 years, and he had been a senator for 4 years before this saga started. Just check out his resume, yet, he was like a slowpoke at the initial stage. His frowing face at Sai Buhari in some pictures were used as jokes everywhere. Lol. Saraki and Dogara were jokes on nairaland, twitter, everywhere for good 3.5 years. The "gamers" changed the game last week. Who is the "mumu" now? The executive or these guys? But Sai Buhari na baba anyday. Baba just left Naija during this period so he does not look stupid. Just look at the game. What a smart politician Saraki is? (I am not a fan of Saraki, please take note).

GrassRoot Marketing is Similar to GrassRoot Politics
Be like the hausas when you want to market agro products. Yes, it is good that social media is around. However, ask Fayemi, the incoming governor of Osun State. He failed to play grassroot politics thinking his technocratic approach and social media could get him a second term 4 years ago. Waooo. He learned well this year by defeating Ayodele Fayose, the master of grassroot politics. To be a millionaire, think like a millionaire - A slogan by Bassey in one of the TV series of late Ken Saro-Wiwa in the 80s. To be a good agro- products seller, think like the Hausas. They own the market. Better you learn their ways, and device a strategy to make them work happily for/with you.

Learn to be a smart slowpoke and beat the readily available market.

NOTE: This post itself is enough for any wise person to be an expert in marketing agro products in Nigeria. I get prayers almost everytime from readers. I do not need to spoon- feed you. This post and my concepts are enough for you. But if you need more insights and you are ready to give it what it takes, shoot me a message on telegram.

For more inquiry
1. Download and install Telegram on your android or apple device.
2. Open your web browser and click on https:///fluentinfor
3. Someone will attend to you.
Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 11, 2018
fluentinfor:

Amen to your prayer.

We are going to quickly discuss section three - marketing research before conclusion and recommendation(s).

About your farm, shoot me a mail. Or better still, get me on telegram.

I just email you boss
Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 8:27am On Aug 12, 2018
3.1: Marketing, the Trickiest Part of Any Business, yet the Best Approach

Have you ever wondered why the likes of the Kardashians earn thousands of dollars for their Tweets and Instagram posts? Have you ever wondered why politicians and business people pay some bloggers heavily in Nigeria for adverts (not only in Nigeria)?

Take a look at my cash flow and income statement, there is a monthly fund dedicated to marketing. I am amazed that agricultural micro business owners always have zero naira budget for marketing. They want government to develop a market for them like there is in Thailand, Indian, and whatever country they always make reference to.

I have met owners and people who want to come into the business always nagging that government should give them loans, but when you interview them, they know nothing about what they are asking money for. Do not be mocked, government is not a fool. They want free or subsidized fertilizer, they want government to build them farm villages, etc. Let me tell you: if I was the governor of any state, I would cancel all useless government farm villages, and privatise everything. Just go and look at the millions of naira embezzled in the name of constructing farm villages in this nation. I can show you dead farm villages in Lagos State. What pained me more are the foolish farmers there, and their barbaric attitude. Poor people are plagues to be avoided if you want to succeed.

I tried using one of those government farm villages in Epe (I will not mention the location), if you see how these foolish miserable farmers hate themselves, you will wonder how they can be successful. They always fight themselves on how they use the borehole, how they use the generator, and how they use everthing. Government gave them free land, Fadama built boreholes for them to be used together, and also powerful generators to power the boreholes and their machineries. It is funny how everyone claims to be the boss. Some do not want to buy diesel to pump water, but as soon as the generator is on, they have like 10,000 liters tanks at the back of their apartments (did I mention government built 2 bedroom apartment for each farmer too on the farm?) they quickly fill. Someone else buys diesel and oil, and even repairs the generator, while many others want it freely. When the person always buying oil and diesel complains, the shameless cheats put up heavy fights. So, if you want to move ahead, just keep funding the operational cost of running the borehole for about 15 people. How can you breakeven easily? When the person who is spending refuse to do it, those shameless cheats do nothing also, and leave the farm. But the day the person resumes to use the borehole, they return. Hmmm! That was how one pained man solved his problem in a brutal way. Most farmers always ride bikes to farm. This man got to know someone always inform them when he resumes work. So, he went to buy a new telephone number which the farmers had no knowledge about. He started phoning the parasites to farm and would tell them that they should come at around a particular time. The guy would set a trap like 10 mins before the person arrives along the part the road is smooth. This was how this crazy man sent all of them to the hospital and he did it slowly, well calculated so no one suspected him. Infact, the leader of the cheat was sent to 10 months "stay at home", and his wife almost died too. It was funny when I got to know, but not funny when the casualties fell into terrible pain and agony. How did I know? The guy told me after he moved out of the place. He said he decided to run the generator on and off for 6 months without working. And he would pick the person to injure every 2 weeks. He said he always slow down at that spot so that nemesis would not catch him. LOL. I noticed that farmers kept vigil (night prayers) at a time (useless people). Funny that the man inflicting them always led praise and worship. Hahahahaha! Also, they were warned to slow down along the smooth road. The guy said, he would relax, and make water readily available and then make it scarce for like a week. grin grin grin grin When he turns it on, they would forget themselves and run like mad goats on bike to come quickly use water they did not pay for. That was when he would strike. Thieves are always greedy and it is very easy to kill them. grin Lol They all ran away from the farm when prayers and charms/voodoo could not chase away the monster inflicting deadly injuries on them on the road, and that was how he was able to to work for 2 years and he made huge profit which he used to open his farm elsewhere. He told me that if they cooperate very well, at least everyone will make the kind of profit he made in a year, and no one will be poor. Seriously, selfishness is a disease.

Entrepreneurs do not behave like that. They do not rely on subsidies and free goodies. They always take marketing serious. They are always ready to be responsible for all operational expenses. They do their work deligently without finding dubious ways. They are not nairalanders who are rank xerox. grin Y'all better sit tight, buckle up, and stop copying consultants and some nairaland threads. Show me an entrepreneur, I bet you that he is a marketer.

Two case studies coming up:
1. Already Available Market Vs Rare Market (Cucumber Vs Herbs)
2. Wholesale Vs Retailing (Fluentinfor Vs His Partner)

1 Like

Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 12, 2018
3.2: Tomato Pilot for High Sales in 2019

Potential: 3kg/plant/months; for 6 months.
Pilot Target: minimum 2kg/plant/mth; for 4 months.
Field Target: minimum 1.5kg/plant/month; for 4 months.

Techniques:
1. Producing red tomatoes, and and not orange color
2. Managing wilts, viral infections and blights very well. (There are.specific activities you must carry out at a particular point)
3. Building an excellent plant vigor: strengthen the immune system of your plants to combat high humidity (remember you are moving to rainy season from dry)

Risk Management:
1. Scaling up production so that if you are defeated by rain, April harvest is enough to cover your expenses. Minimal loss, no loss, or minimal profit can be achieved. (Good Business Plan).
2. Scaling properly a part of your production you put under controlled environment so that rain and high humidity cannot affect it. (Good business plan; cheap and improvised controlled environment).
3. Very easy to retail during this period. You will retail all products under point 2 above so you can increase your income. N500/kg is possible in the market during the period it is scarce. This is from the market research i have carried out, and I can defend anywhere. All you do is follow my template.
4. Affordable cold room storage system which does not use electricity. I will give you details how to construct the type I used 2 years ago. If you are doing 1 ha and above, you can keep your products fresh and sell at a very good price.
5. You may need to ripen your tomatoes if you face challenges with getting them ripe due to low temperature of the weather at times during rainy season.

Pilot starts in September.
Field starts in December/January.

Variety: I have tried almost all brands available in Nigeria. I have my favorites, but from experience, they perform differently. I will not answer the kind of varieties you should use here (I will not promote any brand). Well, you should practice with different varieties. Also, make sure you know the planting area of the variety(ies) you are using. The idea of using 30cm emitter spacing for tomato is "old skool". High vigor varieties can have 80cm to 120cm emitter spacing. If you buy 30cm emitter spacing, you have just shot yourself in the leg by increasing the cost of production. And you will kill your plants by feeding weeds. You must be sure of what you are doing. Your pilot will show you.

Leverage on my Experience
For this project it is a Rank Xerox approach with sense. I will give you the guides I developed which have been working for me. But remember that your ability to follow my guidelines, and replicate them on the field will yield success.

Sales
Readily available market. You will sell easily even you are doing 5 acres without doing any marketing except you want to increase income. We are taking advantage of the loop holes in the marketing and sales of tomato in open market. The big hit can be from 1 month to 2 month out of the 3 to 6 months sales. So, we are going to make sure we sell during these month(s). Better if So, we can extend harvest to many days before and after within the period. If your pilot shows you may not survive this period, secure yourself. Check risk management point 1 and 2.

My Plan
Personally, I am going to manage just only 1 acre. My system will have the following:
1. Drip irrigation
2. Mulch
3. Fertigation
4. Cultured microbes to combat soil diseases

I am working to get: minimum of 25 tons, max of 45 tons over 6 to 8 months. However, I know I cannot stay long on the farm. So, my expectation is 2.5 months harvest before I leave the farm which should hit around 12 to 20 tons. Thenafter, what ever happens, I do not really want to know about it. Whether you believe it or not, I do not really care. Your pilot should tell you what you should expect.

Also, SWOT yourself so you knkw gour limitations. Try to know the maximum area of land you can cultivate easily. I wish I can cultivate more than an acre, but at this stage, I cannot go beyond it. The most important issue is that I know what to put in place if I want to operate 100 ha tomato farm. I may have the knowledge on how to go about it, but my main challenge is human resources.

Please, I appeal to you, do not write me if you do not have the money to do it. You will need drip, mulch, and other things I have listed. We are starting pilot this September by God's grace.
Re: Two Prequisites To Farm Set Up - A Market Research And A Financial Plan by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 13, 2018
4.0: Conclusion/Recommendation

I am writing these two sub-headings together in an informal style.

- - -Investors/Absent Owners, and the prerequisites- - -
1. SWOT yourself

2. Financial Plan: One of the BEST advice Waren Buffet gave investors is to check details about every company they are investing in by looking at their financial reports. If you choose to invest in farming, you need to develop one yourself. Farmers cannot do it, you need to find a way to develop one to access the business if it will be profitable.

3. Pilot: You definitely need to sponsor pilots for the farmer(s) you are investing in. Then, you can be able to access farmers excellently, make good decisions, and write out good financial plan.

4. Level of farmers' experience: Please, what is the benefit of a high skilled farmer that gives you zero profit? Better you train a lover of the area you are interested in so as to achieve your goals. Find a smart person interested in farming (crops or livestock). I always get resumes and requests from unemployed young men and women who need training. I think these set of people should be your target. Make sure you have a system which you can use to pick a very smart person. I cannot but state it again: Do pilots of your project: corn, soy, millet, tubers: yam, cassava, cocoyam, sweet potato, potato, etc., veggies: cucumber, tomato, eggplant, herbs, roots, nethouse, etc. And the replication level of your pilot on your farm determines how successful you will be.

5. If you are spending 10 million naira on the main project, you should be able to afford additional 100,000 - 1,000,000 naira on a good pilot and training of your personal assistant or farm manager. That is a range of 1/10 of the amount you intend investing.

6. After doing the above, you will have the same vision as your farm manager/farmer you are investing in.

7. Mark my words, if you choose an experienced farmer, there is high chance you are picking a greedy man (except the fellow fears God). And you will lose your money easily because the person is after his own gain. So, I suggest you get a novice or underskilled lover og the area you are interested in. You may need to change this person when you notice s(he) wants to leave. Let him go. Go through the process again. Or start training another person before you see the symptom. Else, you will be burnt. But you must cover yourself too by making sure you had discussed the minimum period this person will stay with you. S(he) cannot leave after 2 months you start your farm. Even you might still be struggling to balance well after 2 years. If you can go with 1 year, fine. I can. But as a new investor, you may need more than a year. So, be ready to keep the person for more than 3 years by offering good reward if there is good profit.

8. Try to find a training service which suits your goals.

Amarachi and her farm she hardly visits
She is financially ok, and was looking for ways to make her farm profitable. It is not possible for her to always visit her farm. She had bought the land before meeting me, and she was not making any profit. I gave her 10 resumes she picked from. And I trained the young lady. Funny Amarachi is even younger than the lady she trained. She got involved with the pilot and she understood the concept. Amarachi who used to ask me how many bags of fertilizer she needs, how much seedlings or seeds should be purchased, how much fungicides and pesticides, etc. is now the one who gives the quantity to use. I mean, she calls me these days only to discuss or debate, and not to just take my words. Hear her: "Fluentinfor, I do not agree with you there because you have omitted this factor I am seeing." Lol. No more "Rank Xerox Amarachi". The success or failure of her farm is in her hands. Yes, she still consults experts, but she realises she must understand the concept of what she is doing. Why do you invest in what you do not understand? Amarachi consults me only on technical issues, and not farm management issues anymore.

NOTE: It is more difficult if you are looking for investment plans. For me, I am going to tell you that if you cannot find co- investors who are like you, do not do it, except you trust the farmer who is arranging the whole plan. Personally, I do not have a new investment plan for anyone. Please, stop asking me to take your money to farm. If I need money, I will not ask nairalanders. I know how to raise fund. My philosophy has not changed: I pick only investors/farmers who understand the concept of micro scale farming in Nigeria. I do not need your money which will break my neck during the challenging and difficult days because "it is your hard earned savings". "A beg carry your money go elsewhere". If you are ready to learn the concept, you can work with me. But why will you still want to invest in me when you can be a owner after you have learned the concept?

I teach individuals, and I do not partner with them. I can put you through, counsel you, and show you the right path to take. However, I can partner only with international organizations at this point of my life. Never again with any individual or cooperative society. Never! Never!! Never!!! The worst is with government. Never! Never!! Never!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Affordable Cashew Nut Roasting Machine For Sale / Cockerel Expert Come In! !!! / Egg Laying Enhancing Supplement For 500naira Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 387
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.