Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,965 members, 7,799,275 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name (2354 Views)

How To Choose A Great Domain Name / Please Advise On The Best Domain Name And Host For My New Blog. / Domain Name For Sale (importation.com.ng) and (programming.com.ng) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by akeentech(m): 1:53am On Jul 26, 2018
Choosing a great domain name for your site is important absolutely. Your domain name is requires hours, days and even weeks of ideas and planning.

It’s no exaggeration in saying that, in some cases making the wrong choice may break a business.

Choosing a domain name is something every site owner needs to make sure they get right and this should happen before they do anything else. In this article we shall look into 10 tips to choose a great domain name.

Tip #1:

Always use your business name as your domain name. Your visitors or readers should only have one name to remember your business – be it your domain or your business name.

Tip #2:

Your domain name needs to be short and/or very easy to remember. 67 characters is the limit.

Domain names that are simple and short to remember names make it less difficult for your readers/visitors frequently.

Tip #3:

Try using keywords. Use keywords that describe your brand and services.

For instance if you are a tech blogger, you might like to register akeentech.com or techblogger.com.

It helps to increase your rank on search engine machines which in return increases your traffic. It also makes more sense to your visitors or readers.

Tip #4:

Aside of registering a domain using your business name, you should register another domain name that is much related to your business sector:

For instance, register www.Samsung.com and register www.electronics.com. You can point both domain names to a similar site. Use much known keywords when you do this.

Tip #5:

If you have a domain name that can be easily misspelled, you should likewise register the misspelled domain name. For example, www.tosyntoomuch.com the register www.tosintoomuch.com .

For what reason would you need to do this? Quite simple, your visitor or reader will still get to you when they incorrectly spelled your domain name.

Tip #6:

If you have to use abbreviations, only use those that make sense and/or easy to remember. For instance, rather than using www.namecheckersassociationofnaija.com, it might be easier to use www.ncan.com.

Tip #7:

Uses of hyphenated domain names should be avoided. The good thing about hyphenated domain names is that it is very easier to spot when printed.

For instance: www.name-checkers-association-of-naija.com is very easier to read as compared to www.namecheckersassociationofnaija.com.

The drawback is when the domain name is verbally communicated. To really ensure the person you talk to get to your site, you have to pronounce it like “www dot name hyphen checkers hyphen association hyphen of hyphen naija dot com” as compared to pronouncing it “www dot name checkers association of naija dot com”. It is such a pain.

Tip #8:

Avoid using “for” or “to” in your site domain name. It can be confusing as your readers or visitors may rather type “4” or “2” instead.

Tip #9:

Try to avoid using numbers in your domain name. Just to Tip #6, your readers or visitors may type in the number in full rather than using the numeric key.

For example www.2delicious.com your visitors may type www.toodelicious.com

Tip #10:

In addition to Tip #2 above, try to avoid using more than 4 words in your domain name. For instance, avoid www.getyourbestcardeals.com.

It is both difficult to type and remember. Having said so, it is increasing difficult to purchase short domain names.

Thanks for reading this post on tips for a great domain name. If you have any tips on how to register a great domain name feel free to share with us in the comment box.

Source: https://www.akeentech.com/choosing-a-great-domain-name-tips/

8 Likes

Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by akeentech(m): 2:00am On Jul 26, 2018
Yeah
Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 26, 2018
When I bought a domain for my blog I actually used my nick with two numbers, you shouldn’t blame me I was a big fan of DonCaprio and I just thought it was cool having it so.

I don’t regret it cus it sounds fun to me like adding the number to my nick and boom
Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by Ejlove4u(m): 6:47am On Jul 26, 2018
Ok noted.... But bobo should go to his domain first
Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by BruncleZuma: 7:00am On Jul 26, 2018
I have one that I'd like to sell...
Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by FaceThem: 7:26am On Jul 26, 2018
How Many Likes 4me
Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by Revolva(m): 7:39am On Jul 26, 2018
WANNA BUY A USA domain with god hostaing check my signatute below
Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by exporters101: 7:43am On Jul 26, 2018
Contact me, I do quality SEO ranking for your blogs/websites
Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by iamleumas: 8:04am On Jul 26, 2018
Oboi see as this thread come dry like this! shocked
Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by akeentech(m): 8:17am On Jul 26, 2018
iamleumas:
Oboi see as this thread come dry like this! shocked

It's not boobs related what do you expect
Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 26, 2018
Just like we my domain name havillaplus.com

Every thing i use is havillaplus
Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by clems93(m): 9:01am On Jul 26, 2018
NICE TIP.
Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by wordpressdony(m): 9:09am On Jul 26, 2018
Great Tip shocked

Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by Innov8ve1: 11:18am On Jul 26, 2018
op you forgot to include people who use their name instead of business name as their domain name. its creepy especially when you are not popular
Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by zeanslim(m): 3:45pm On Jul 26, 2018
refreshing
Re: Best Tips To Choose A Great Domain Name by iamleumas: 10:45pm On Jul 26, 2018
akeentech:

It's not boobs related what do you expect
grin

(1) (Reply)

Facebook Likes Booster Got Me 4,000 Likes For $4. How? / Photos: I Made My First AdSense $100 Today! On My Own Account / Lovingdomains.com; Real Or Scam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.