Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,931 members, 7,806,698 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Are Robbers Killing People At Onitsha? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Robbers Killing People At Onitsha? (1300 Views)

Biafra Agitators Burn Two Trailers At Onitsha Head Bridge (Pics) / Killing People While Shouting Allahu Akbar Is Not Islam – Buhari / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Robbers Killing People At Onitsha? by onyengbu1(m): 6:39pm On Jun 16, 2010
I was driving towards onitsha about an hour ago and I suddenly got a call from my relative who lives in onitsha and whom I was going to see there.

He said I should turn back and run back to where I was coming from before it is too late. He said that it was said that Onitsha metropolis is 'under attack' from armed  robbers who are patrolling streets of Onitsha shooting at innocent people. He said that  every street street is now empty due to that information.

He has not actually witnessed the incident but he has witnessed deserted streets.

Can anyone else confirm this?
Re: Are Robbers Killing People At Onitsha? by cantell(m): 7:23pm On Jun 16, 2010
This people wey dey carry fake news up and down.
No be this Onitsha wey i dey, dey sell market?
Nnaa nawa. Unu na achuru anyi customer oo.
We have less customers coming from outside the state because of rumours like this.
This is just bad.
You guys should know that these rumours affect other people.
Small time person go talk say dem kidnapp Peter Obi.
Re: Are Robbers Killing People At Onitsha? by Jakumo(m): 7:36pm On Jun 16, 2010
Cantell, the customers are fleeing Onitcha because of rumours that ONLY Aba-made car parts are on sale there, with the result that honest businessmen like yourself whose wares come straight from Taiwan are being unfairly punished along with the real culprits.

On a serious note, could it be possible that robbers have taken over a part of Onitcha, such that those residing in more distant reaches of the metropolis, who are not close enough to hear the gunfire, are simply unaware of the mayhem in progress just out of earshot ?

Since Abia State has reportedly fallen under the authority of an armed robbery terror regime for the past month, with no banks open there any more, it would be presumptuous and naive to dismiss offhand these rumours about Onitcha's domino-effect fall to the new bandit regime, given Onitcha's geographical proximity to the officially subdued Abia State, and the prominent role that Niger River town has played in past armed conflicts.
Re: Are Robbers Killing People At Onitsha? by cantell(m): 8:35pm On Jun 16, 2010
Jakumo:

Cantell, the customers are fleeing Onitcha because of rumours that ONLY Aba-made car parts are on sale there, with the result that honest businessmen like yourself whose wares come straight from Taiwan are being unfairly punished along with the real culprits.

On a serious note, could it be possible that robbers have taken over a part of Onitcha, such that those residing in more distant reaches of the metropolis, who are not close enough to hear the gunfire, are simply unaware of the mayhem in progress just out of earshot ?

Since Abia State has reportedly fallen under the authority of an armed robbery terror regime for the past month, with no banks open there any more, it would be presumptuous and naive to dismiss offhand these rumours about Onitcha's domino-effect fall to the new bandit regime, given Onitcha's geographical proximity to the officially subdued Abia State, and the prominent role that Niger River town has played in past armed conflicts.
The funny stories people peddle about Onitsha.
No one is sending goods from Aba to Onitsha, instead it would be the other way round.
Most goods sold in Onitsha are mainly imported from Singapore,China,Taiwan,Swiss,Germany and other places where these goods can be bought cheap.
I myself import goods though in small scale.
Unlike Aba, Onitsha is more secure.
I respect our Governor for one thing and that is, ensuring security.
Besides after the the time of Bakaasi, onitsha became more security conscious.
The residents employed security agents to help fight armed robbery.
I can say for now onitsha is far better than those terror days in 1998 - 2001.
And one thing for sure is that, news travels fast in Onitsha and its difficult for something this huge to happen, without people talking abt it.
So i'm very sure nothing dey happen.
We dey like kampe.(for real. No be Obj kampe oo)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Ranks Second In Lowest Living Condition / Saleha Huuda Dead: University Of Florida Found Dead In Brush Fire / What Is The Best Fighter Jet To Buy cost $15 million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.