Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,260 members, 7,780,571 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:39 PM

Turkey Invades Northen Iraq - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Turkey Invades Northen Iraq (4203 Views)

Turkey Shoots Down Russian Jet Near Syrian Border / "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War / Boko Haram Invades Northern Cameroon, Kills 90 Civilians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by favouredjb(f): 3:18pm On Jun 30, 2010
i meant 'these' ones
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by dayokanu(m): 4:27pm On Jun 30, 2010
@ Mariory, Can you change the topic to "Israel invades Gaza" and lets see the difference in views.

2 weeks, 1 page even though it was on front page. So much for Peace activist who want fairness, justice and equality but cant even post to supprt the Kurds after 3 weeks
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by bawomolo(m): 5:20pm On Jun 30, 2010
where is the outrage. or are kurds less important than arabs?
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by dayokanu(m): 6:15pm On Jun 30, 2010
This further butress my theory of innocent and guilty civilians.

Hamas are freedom fighters while Kurds deserve to die.

Where are the peace activists?
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by favouredjb(f): 6:57pm On Jun 30, 2010
dont mind them,we wont see them now sad
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by ocelot2006(m): 7:02am On Jul 01, 2010
Turkey had EVERY right to carry out the incursion. Keep in mind that Northern Iraq has always been a haven and staging ground for Kurdish terror group (the PKK) against the Turkish state. Also keep in mind that the PKK just recently launched terror attacks within Turkey, and the in the past the Turks had lodged complaints with the Americans.

But here's the difference between the actions of Turkey and Isreal:

1) The operation of Turkey was simply a brief military incursion that targeted PKK TERRORISTS, NOT CIVILIANs. That's so unlike Isreal that occupies Palestinian lands and carries out collective punishment on the whole civilian population (men, women, children, young, old, etc).

2) The operations was limited with the Turkish military withdrawing later. This so unlike the Isreali state that continues to place embagoes on the Palestinians and control the airspace and territorial waters of Gaza.

So enough of the "hypocricy" bullshit.
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by RuuDie(m): 4:42pm On Jul 01, 2010
A millitary incursion remains that however brief. . . . & pls, can u tell me how to distinguish between ethnic Iraqi, turkish & PKK kurds thru the sights of a rocket launcher!?
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by ocelot2006(m): 5:14pm On Jul 01, 2010
RuuDie:

A millitary incursion remains that however brief. . . . & pls, can u tell me how to distinguish between ethnic Iraqi, turkish & PKK kurds thru the sights of a rocket launcher!?

Why don't you list out the populated cities/villages attacked by the Turkish military during this incursion? And while you're at it, pls do list out the civilian casualty figures (exclude all combatants from both sides). Thank you.
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jul 01, 2010
Tudór:

Where is Afam the so called crusader against 'hypocrisy'. . .
Is it only a 'massacre' and 'outrage' when people die in israeli hands?

very very interesting quote. least i remind u he may respond with insult

cheers
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by RuuDie(m): 6:46pm On Jul 01, 2010
ocelot2006:

Why don't you list out the populated cities/villages attacked by the Turkish military during this incursion? And while you're at it, pls do list out the civilian casualty figures (exclude all combatants from both sides). Thank you.

What are u saying. . . . there are no settlements in Northern Iraq
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by ocelot2006(m): 7:06pm On Jul 01, 2010
RuuDie:

What are u saying. . . . there are no settlements in Northern Iraq

I never said there were no settlements in Northern Iraq. I simply asked you to list out the settlements attacked by the Turkish military and the civilian casualty figures. Go on, I can wait.
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by RuuDie(m): 7:09pm On Jul 01, 2010
How about ", 40,000 have died since this conflict began in '84"

I bet u'll tell me all are confirm PKK
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by RuuDie(m): 7:11pm On Jul 01, 2010
. . . . . . . During the early 20th century, Kurds began to consider the concept of nationalism, a notion introduced by the British amid the division of traditional Kurdistan among neighboring countries. The 1920 Treaty of Sevres, which created the modern states of Iraq, Syria and Kuwait, was to have included the possibility of a Kurdish state in the region. However, it was never implemented. After the overthrow of the Turkish monarchy by Kemal Ataturk, Turkey, Iran and Iraq each agreed not to recognize an independent Kurdish state.

The Kurds received especially harsh treatment at the hands of the Turkish government, which tried to deprive them of Kurdish identity by designating them "Mountain Turks," outlawing their language and forbidding them to wear traditional Kurdish costumes in the cities. The government also encouraged the migration of Kurds to the cities to dilute the population in the uplands. Turkey continues its policy of not recognizing the Kurds as a minority group.

& since it appears u know li'l about turkish-kurds history, mull on this!
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by ocelot2006(m): 7:19pm On Jul 01, 2010
RuuDie:

How about ", 40,000 have died since this conflict began in '84"

I bet u'll tell me all are confirm PKK

40,000, hmmmmmm. And i guess you excluded members of the Turkish military and Law Enforcement agencies, innocent civilians killed by the PKK and their affiliates, and PKK terrorists huh? And didn't I ask you to list out the settlements ATTACKED in NORTHERN IRAQ, especially during recent ops, along with the casualty figures of INNOCENT CIVILIANS? I'm sure my question isn't so difficult to understand.

By the way, I would appreciate it if youi could back up your figure (40,000) with a reliable source. And PLEASE I hope it isn't WIKIPEDIA. Thank you.
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by RuuDie(m): 6:03am On Jul 02, 2010
ocelot2006:

40,000, hmmmmmm. And i guess you excluded members of the Turkish military and Law Enforcement agencies, innocent civilians killed by the PKK and their affiliates, and PKK terrorists huh? And didn't I ask you to list out the settlements ATTACKED in NORTHERN IRAQ, especially during recent ops, along with the casualty figures of INNOCENT CIVILIANS? I'm sure my question isn't so difficult to understand.

By the way, I would appreciate it if youi could back up your figure (40,000) with a reliable source. And PLEASE I hope it isn't WIKIPEDIA. Thank you.

Nah. . . your question is perfectly understandable but I'll not bother to answer that because if i think if you read wide and far enough, you shoulda seen at least one news agency that's given a much more broader coverage of the attacks & listed at least 1 settlement in that region that was affected by the brief incursion.

As for the figure. . . . sources are not hard to find, except of course, you choose not to see! As for the identity of the casualties; don't tell me that you sincerely believe that most of that number are Turks *wether millitary or otherwise* grin grin grin
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by ocelot2006(m): 7:52pm On Jul 02, 2010
RuuDie:

Nah. . . your question is perfectly understandable but I'll not bother to answer that because if i think if you read wide and far enough, you shoulda seen at least one news agency that's given a much more broader coverage of the attacks & listed at least 1 settlement in that region that was affected by the brief incursion.

As for the figure. . . . sources are not hard to find, except of course, you choose not to see! As for the identity of the casualties; don't tell me that you sincerely believe that most of that number are Turks *wether millitary or otherwise* grin grin grin

grin Ah come on, you're already bugging out from the question? *tisk* *tisk*

I'm sure you can find RELIABLE sources to back up your "40,000" figure. Or you don't have any? And how about the list of Kurdish settlements/population centres hit by the Turkish military in Northen Iraq during this recent military operation (and the casualty figure)? Nothing? 'thought as much.

By the way, you do know that that the PKK is listed as a terror group by the United States and tthe United Nations, right? And you do know that the Iraqis and American could stop all military incursions by the Turkish military? Now I wonder why they chose not to, hmmmmmmm,
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by ocelot2006(m): 7:56pm On Jul 02, 2010
RuuDie:

& since it appears u know li'l about turkish-kurds history, mull on this!

So the best you can do is quote another person's post as a source? Now that's funny grin
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by dayokanu(m): 8:09pm On Jul 02, 2010
From my sources, No one has died.

The Turkish forces just go to the Kurds to rub their back and go back to Turkey without one single casualty
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by Mariory(m): 12:32am On Jul 03, 2010
dayokanu:

@ Mariory, Can you change the topic to "Israel invades Gaza" and lets see the difference in views.

2 weeks, 1 page even though it was on front page. So much for Peace activist who want fairness, justice and equality but cant even post to supprt the Kurds after 3 weeks

lol no need. The majority of folks on nairaland are smart enough to have noticed the distinct absence of some "fair nairaland human rights activists". grin
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by Mariory(m): 12:51am On Jul 03, 2010
ocelot2006:

grin Ah come on, you're already bugging out from the question? *tisk* *tisk*

I'm sure you can find RELIABLE sources to back up your "40,000" figure. Or you don't have any? And how about the list of Kurdish settlements/population centres hit by the Turkish military in Northen Iraq during this recent military operation (and the casualty figure)? Nothing? 'thought as much.

By the way, you do know that that the PKK is listed as a terror group by the United States and tthe United Nations, right? And you do know that the Iraqis and American could stop all military incursions by the Turkish military? Now I wonder why they chose not to, hmmmmmmm,

I'm sure you are aware Hamas is also listed as a terror group. And the 40,000 figure he gave you is as accurate as the information that's out there.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10359237.stm
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by dayokanu(m): 2:08am On Jul 03, 2010
On Friday the Turkish military said it had killed about 120 Kurdish rebels since March

Where is the outrage? Where are the peace activists?
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by Mariory(m): 7:18am On Jul 03, 2010
[Sacarsm]
Oh where is the proportionate force from Turkey? Why are they using planes and artillery? Can't they just send troops with guns in order to avoid civilian casualties? Turkey should not lower itself to the devil that is Isreal by using overwheming force to eliminate people they view as hostile.[/Sacarsm]

Earlier Friday, the army said Turkish jets bombed overnight PKK targets in neighbouring northern Iraq, where the group enjoys safe haven, following deadly clashes inside Turkey.

"The targets were hit successfully," the statement said, without any mention of rebel casualties.

The jets targeted PKK hideouts in the Qandil mountains and the Khakurk region, it said, adding that "necessary caution was displayed" not to harm civilians.

A PKK spokesman in northern Iraq said a village house was destroyed in the raid, which lasted an hour and a half, but there were no casualties.
News Story
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by dayokanu(m): 8:59am On Jul 03, 2010
The Turkish jets have a way of differentiating innocent civilians from the guilty ones.

So they are better than Israel in this respect.

The Turkish forces only use tear gas and koboko for the rebels
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by bawomolo(m): 8:46pm On Jul 03, 2010
the same jet they bought from Isreal o
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by Mariory(m): 3:18am On Jul 04, 2010
Turkey looking to create buffer zone in Iraq?

reating a buffer zone on the Iraqi side of the border would decrease casualties by helping keep terrorists out of Turkey, the main opposition leader has said, adding that the idea should receive U.S. support.

“What is there to deny? We want to create a buffer zone in a flat area. We do not want this land; we will withdraw as soon as the terror is over. There shouldn’t be any problems,” Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, the head of the Republican People’s Party, or CHP, told daily Cumhuriyet in an interview published Wednesday
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=national-consensus-buffet-zone-vital-says-chp-leader-2010-06-30
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by Mariory(m): 3:29am On Jul 04, 2010
[size=14pt]Does this sound familiar?[/size]

Two elderly villagers were killed and one other was wounded Monday when Turkish soldiers in the southern province of Hatay opened fire after mistaking them for terrorists.

The incident occurred around 8:30 a.m. at Çardak near the Nur Mountains after İbrahim Yalçın, 60, Mustafa Fil, 62, Ali Dalmış, 61, and Mehmet Sak, 72, went to the field to collect thyme.
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=two-villagers-dead-one-wounded-by-friendly-fire-at-hatay-2010-06-28
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by james1(m): 2:57pm On Jul 04, 2010
@poster and co-travellers.we are here to educate each other,enlighten and share views.I still don't get it,are you guys saying the kurds shouldn't fight for independence or that turkey leave the PKK who obviously are ready to die fighting for independence, alone?
In my view,
Turkish goverment are and is guilty of killing anybody and the PKK are guilty as well.
I can't blame the kurds too much for their actions though.they must believe everybody hates them by now;having suffered oppression from all side.
Truth is:people die fighting for freedom,they always do.The UN must do something about these people.have they not agitated for 30yrs already?if yes then the turkish goverment whose atrocities against the kurds,which of course supercede that of late saddam hussein must call a referandom.the hate on kurds is too much,
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by Mariory(m): 3:45pm On Jul 04, 2010
james1:

@poster and co-travellers.we are here to educate each other,enlighten and share views.I still don't get it,are you guys saying the kurds shouldn't fight for independence or that turkey leave the PKK who obviously are ready to die fighting for independence, alone?

Allow me to explain. The purpose of this thread is to do the following;
- To highlight the stupidity and hypocrisy of certain individuals on nairaland.
- To highlight the stupidity and hypocrisy of Turkey.
- To highlight the stupidity and hypocrisy of the UN.
- To highlight the stupidity and hypocrisy of human right organisations.
- To highlight the stupidity and hypocrisy of certain media outlets especially left wing pieces of crap like the Guardian(UK).
- To highlight the stupidity and hypocrisy of certain western nations.

To put it in perspective, think of the media circus that would have resulted if Israel for example invaded Gaza or Lebanon to pursue terrorists.
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by james1(m): 4:17pm On Jul 04, 2010
Hi house,okay.I get you guys now.
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 05, 2010
Mariory:

Allow me to explain. The purpose of this thread is to do the following;
- To highlight the stupidity and hypocrisy of certain individuals on nairaland.
- To highlight the stupidity and hypocrisy of Turkey.
- To highlight the stupidity and hypocrisy of the UN.
- To highlight the stupidity and hypocrisy of human right organisations.
- To highlight the stupidity and hypocrisy of certain media outlets especially left wing pieces of crap like the Guardian(UK).
- To highlight the stupidity and hypocrisy of certain western nations.

To put it in perspective, think of the media circus that would have resulted if Israel for example invaded Gaza or Lebanon to pursue terrorists.

Perfect! I'm still waiting for the hypocrites.
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by dayokanu(m): 7:43pm On Jul 05, 2010
The piss activists? where art thou?
Re: Turkey Invades Northen Iraq by Kobojunkie: 1:29pm On Jul 06, 2010
ROFLMAO!!! WOW

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Young President Barack Obama **pictures** / David Cameron Carries His Luggage As He Moves Out Of State House (picture) / Whatsapp Chat Between An American And His Iranian Friend About The WW3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.