Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" (18984 Views)

Message From The Hymn Book / Christian Hymn I Love To Sing: "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross". / What's Your Favorite Hymn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by Sam4ky(m): 10:24am On Jul 29, 2018
When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

His dying crimson, like a robe,
Spreads o’er His body on the tree;
Then I am dead to all the globe,
And all the globe is dead to me.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

Story

When teenager Isaac Watts complained to his father about the monotonous way Christians in England sang the Old Testament Psalms, his father, a leading deacon, snapped back 'All right young man, you give us something better.'

To Isaac Watts, the singing of God's praise was the form of worship nearest to Heaven and he went on to argue: 'It's performance among us is the worst on earth.'

Young Isaac accepted his father's challenge and eventually wrote a total of more than 600 hymns, earning him the title 'The father of English hymnody.'

Even as a child Isaac had shown a passion for poetry, rhyming and such mundane things as everyday conversation. His serious-minded father, after several warnings, decided to spank the rhyming nonsense out of his son. But the tearful Isaac helplessly replied,
'Oh father do some pity take,
and I will no more verses make.'

However, choirs, congregations and individual Christians rejoice to this day that the young lad did not keep his impromptu promise.

If he had, none of us would have the thrill of singing such all-time favourites as "Oh God Our Help In Ages Past," "Am I A Soldier Of The Cross" or "Joy To The World."

As a child, Isaac Watts was sickly and unattractive, yet, even by today's standards he was clever beyond his years. He began the study of Latin at the age of four, and added Greek when he was nine, French at eleven and Hebrew at thirteen.

At fifteen the young poet turned his talents to the service of the church and the great career in hymn-writing began.

In his hymns Isaac Watts takes the Word of God, of which he must have been a diligent student, and distils it so that all is wisdom, beauty and comfort are set before us with plainness and power. No wonder, then, that C.H. Spurgeon's grandfather, himself a great preacher, and in the line of the Puritans, would have nothing else but the hymns of Isaac Watts sung in his services.

Isaac Watt's greatest composition must surely be "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross."
It has been called 'The very best hymn in the English language' and in it Watts, using only 16 lines, paints a soul-stirring picture of the Saviour's death on the cross coupled with the whole-hearted response of the believer to such amazing love.

As Tedd Smith says 'It seems to me that Isaac Watts wrote this text as if he were standing at the foot of Christ's cross.'

How blessed to reflect on the finished work of Christ Jesus, as summed up in those lines:

See, from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down;
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

And how enriching to be able to voice our reconsecration to the Lord's service in the words:

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were an offering far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

Bible Verse

Galatians 6:14 “May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ."

91 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by dominique(f): 11:09am On Jul 29, 2018
One of the hymns I loved most during my SOP days, humming it right now smiley

It was performed at the opening ceremony of London 2012 olympics

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:16am On Jul 29, 2018
BEAUTIFUL STORY

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by easzypeaszy(m): 11:18am On Jul 29, 2018
wow...to me when it comes to the mysterious tins of Christianity i bliv just like Isaac..God alrdy chose him....6000yrs b4 John was born, his name has been mentioned in the book of Mammon that "He John shall be shown n given a Revelation, that everything he will write is true"....God is good...I bliv in Jesus n Christianity is the only way

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by Hardeybohwarley(m): 11:19am On Jul 29, 2018
I love poetry and whoever loves poetry.
Here is one of my poetry work.

In this life a man must know
You only got a seed to sow
Religion or life, each is like a show
Former or latter, that's a row to hoe
Choose the two and be a hoe

16 Likes

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by ficons: 11:20am On Jul 29, 2018
Ok
Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by SonofHim: 11:22am On Jul 29, 2018
This is one of my most loved hymn. It's so deep. I have always known stanzas 1, 2, 3 and 5; didn't know stanza 4. Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed Sunday.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by xynerise: 11:23am On Jul 29, 2018
Love the song especially during Lent

7 Likes

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by AngelicBeing: 11:23am On Jul 29, 2018
dominique:
One of the hymns I loved most during my SOP days, humming it right now smiley

It was performed at the opening ceremony of London 2012 olympics
cool
Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by SonofHim: 11:25am On Jul 29, 2018
[quote author=xynerise post=69800492]Love the song especially during Lent [/quote

Exactly!!!
Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by kristonium(m): 11:28am On Jul 29, 2018
Amazingly glorious!
Evergreen!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 29, 2018
Oh! such a lovely hymn.

1 Like

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by Imperare(f): 11:29am On Jul 29, 2018
My pastor don't believe in hymns
Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by Arysexy(m): 11:31am On Jul 29, 2018
My best Lenten season hymn

2 Likes

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by taurusmena1(m): 11:36am On Jul 29, 2018
Guess he believes in tithes
Imperare:
My pastor don't believe in hymns

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by joeyswift(m): 11:43am On Jul 29, 2018
This hymn always makes me sober every time especially during lent

9 Likes

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by Pavore9: 11:43am On Jul 29, 2018
The stations of the cross comes to mind.

7 Likes

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by Bibidear(f): 11:47am On Jul 29, 2018
thanks so much for this,u made me remember my grandma.....she loved singing the song until i learnt it

1 Like

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by JY22: 11:49am On Jul 29, 2018
Nice one.
Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by bennynaza(m): 11:51am On Jul 29, 2018
The Most Powerful Hymn for a Believer.

Too bad I believe no more.
Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by mamachizzy(f): 11:55am On Jul 29, 2018
this hymn touches the soul

1 Like

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by Oroolorun(m): 12:06pm On Jul 29, 2018
[/color]
dominique:
the hymns I loved most during my SOP days
U went to d right school.
My school, both d students & teachers are just 2 dull we all read rubbish.
O o o o come and lorship, come come come and lorship

5 Likes

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 29, 2018
ottohan:
I consider John newton's Amazing Grace to be the best hymn shaa
There's no such as "best hymn"

5 Likes

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by IamBlanco(m): 12:15pm On Jul 29, 2018
NOW THESE ARE THE KIND OF POST WE WANT TO READ ABOUT CHRISTIANITY ON SUNDAYS. NOT THOSE EVIL, STUPID, IRRELEVANT & CONTROVERSIAL TOPICS PEOPLE INTENTIONALLY POST TO STIR UP ISSUES.

12 Likes

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by lazynairalander1: 12:16pm On Jul 29, 2018
Nice hymn. Happy Sunday all.
Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by Oroolorun(m): 12:18pm On Jul 29, 2018
Behind every Hymn is one inspirational story. Only few people know that FANNY CROSBY who wrote Blessed Assurance, Praise Him, To God Be The Glory was a blind woman.
(It pains me whenever I remember singing jargons in the name of singing Hymn).

4 Likes

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jul 29, 2018
Nearer my God to thee

Hymns Bring Your Soul Closer To The Throne

You feel refresh

2 Likes

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by tobbyd341(m): 12:21pm On Jul 29, 2018
Where can I download various hymn?

1 Like

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by Imperare(f): 12:24pm On Jul 29, 2018
taurusmena1:
I see Jezebel spirit around you

1 Like

Re: Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" by deepwater(f): 12:27pm On Jul 29, 2018
Lol
taurusmena1:

Hahahahahhaha

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Church Refuses To Marry Black Couple In USA / Anja Loven Rescues Four Children Accused Of Witchcraft / Ogun Police Warn Religious Leaders Against Opening Of Worship Centres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.