Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter - Jobs/Vacancies (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter (33557 Views)

What's The Most Insensitive Question(s) A Recruiter Has Ever Asked You? / My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie / Points to note before sending out your CV to a recruiter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by TRUSTEDGUY: 11:02am On Sep 21, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:
Use A Professional Email Address

I don't about other Recruiters, but for me, a stupid email address will never earn an invite from me.

What the heck are, Chizzybaby@gmail.com, Zainab4luv@yahoo.com? Seriously, these ain't email anyone seriously looking for job should be associating with.

Personally, I prefer emails with the applicants' full name or first name.

Try as much as possible not to use numbers in your email address, only when necessary.

Something like this is manageable, LekanAzeez86@gmail.com but Lekan86@gmail.com is unacceptable to me.

Officiallekan@gmail.com, IamLekan@gmail.com, LekanOfficial@gmail.com are all acceptable to me.

I thank God you are posting this based on your personal experience and not on general practice. Honestly I feel sorry for your clients because they have miss out individuals who would have made a difference based on your so-called experience. I read an article about a young man who became CEO of a robotic company at the age of 26. Do you know how he was recruited? Through linkedin in a discussion where the boy was proffering solutions to problems. It will interest you to know that this boy is not a graduate. There is no HR expert that will advice you to disregard an application based on an email address. If I were you I will start looking for creativity potentials from this. I taught best practice advises you shortlist based on the ability to do the job.

2 Likes

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 8:02pm On Sep 21, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

I thank God you are posting this based on your personal experience and not on general practice. Honestly I feel sorry for your clients because they have miss out individuals who would have made a difference based on your so-called experience. I read an article about a young man who became CEO of a robotic company at the age of 26. Do you know how he was recruited? Through linkedin in a discussion where the boy was proffering solutions to problems. It will interest you to know that this boy is not a graduate. There is no HR expert that will advice you to disregard an application based on an email address. If I were you I will start looking for creativity potentials from this. I taught best practice advises you shortlist based on the ability to do the job.
What you don't know is more than you, and if you don't understand how recruitment process works for mass employment for entry positions, then just ask.

Thank you.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 8:11pm On Sep 21, 2018
klexycole:

Please, why are single page résumés are discarded? Thank you! smiley
You know software are not as intelligent as humans and can't understand a CV the way a human mind does. So for a single CV it assumes automatically that the CV is not rich and that is true. For an average Nigerian CV, your personal profile alone would occupy half of the front page, and your educational history would occupy the rest, so if you can compress all your details (personal profile, education history, working experience, skills, e.t.c that means it is not that rich.

I guess you also know that Google algorithm ranks websites with thin contents lower?
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by klexycole(m): 9:49pm On Sep 21, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

You know software are not as intelligent as humans and can't understand a CV the way a human mind does. So for a single CV it assumes automatically that the CV is not rich and that is true. For an average Nigerian CV, your personal profile alone would occupy half of the front page, and your educational history would occupy the rest, so if you can compress all your details (personal profile, education history, working experience, skills, e.t.c that means it is not that rich.

I guess you also know that Google algorithm ranks websites with thin contents lower?

But it is said that Résumés shouldn't be too long either. I learned that keeping it short, clear, concise, and simple with necessary ATS keywords is the best. Might be that the normal standards are totally different from the one with have in Nigeria.

I'm open to learning, sir. smiley
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by bolagabriella: 10:38pm On Sep 21, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:
4 Things To Do When Your Receive Your Invite
1. Acknowledge receipt and confirm if you would be available or not.

If you won't ask for reschedule but don't keep you hope high.

When acknowledging, personalise the email by using the name of the HR personal.

Good day Mr OfficialAPC.Nig,

Dear Mr OfficialAPC.Nig

2. Follow the person on all social media you can find him/her.

3. Connect and engage. Don't DM or tag him or her. It is spammy. Just like, share, retweet and favorite.

Shikina.

4. Call the number that came with the invite. Call him/her under the guise of asking for more info but use it tactfully to connect and bond.

Please only call during the office time.

This will water your ground. I am talking from experience.

Thanks for this, i remember when i graduated and i didn't have any idea about putting a cv together, there was no one to help. What you are doing may seem little to some but it goes a long way to helping others.

I got an invite for a job interview and i replied requesting for reschedule stating my reasons but till date they didn't get back to me.
Pls do mention me if you are reqiested to fill the position of microbiologist or quality assurance/control officer or laboratory analyst. I am a fresh graduate with B.Sc. in Microbiology, although i have already started my Masters program, i am looking for an opportunity to start my career.
Thank you.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 11:35am On Sep 22, 2018
bolagabriella:

Thanks for this, i remember when i graduated and i didn't have any idea about putting a cv together, there was no one to help. What you are doing may seem little to some but it goes a long way to helping others.

I got an invite for a job interview and i replied requesting for reschedule stating my reasons but till date they didn't get back to me.
Pls do mention me if you are reqiested to fill the position of microbiologist or quality assurance/control officer or laboratory analyst. I am a fresh graduate with B.Sc. in Microbiology, although i have already started my Masters program, i am looking for an opportunity to start my career.
Thank you.
The truth is entry level positions rarely get a reschedule, unless you are lucky.

I wish you good luck.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 11:36am On Sep 22, 2018
klexycole:

But it is said that Résumés shouldn't be too long either. I learned that keeping it short, clear, concise, and simple with necessary ATS keywords is the best. Might be that the normal standards are totally different from the one with have in Nigeria.

I'm open to learning, sir. smiley
You are right, but it shouldn't be 1 page, the best for entry position is 2 but don't exceed 3.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by bolagabriella: 12:07pm On Sep 22, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

The truth is entry level positions rarely get a reschedule, unless you are lucky.

I wish you good luck.
Oh ok.
Thanks.
I wish myself goodluck.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by klexycole(m): 3:37pm On Sep 22, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

You are right, but it shouldn't be 1 page, the best for entry position is 2 but don't exceed 3.

Noted sir.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by poshestmina(f): 5:06pm On Sep 22, 2018
Sorry for posting this here but does anybody know about orient links company?
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by TRUSTEDGUY: 8:19pm On Sep 22, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

What you don't know is more than you, and if you don't understand how recruitment process works for mass employment for entry positions, then just ask.

Thank you.

I understand the recruitment process perfectly. From manpower planning through to offer
And there is no HR best practice that supports your view .

I can confidently say that your advice is based on your personal bias not on best practice.

1 Like

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by Queenmark: 8:49pm On Sep 22, 2018
Nigerian Recruiters or HR professionals or whatever you call yourself you guys you have turned yourselves to mini gods.

You go for an interview the way someone will even talk you because you are looking for a job is pathetic and at the end what they have to offer is zero.
They tell you to do 1million things just to get a job

2 Likes

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 5:49am On Sep 23, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

I understand the recruitment process perfectly. From manpower planning through to offer
And there is no HR best practice that supports your view .

I can confidently say that your advice is based on your personal bias not on best practice.
Ok. Hopefully by the end of 2nd week of Feb, I would take delivery of my promotion letter and this would make me one of the youngest in the history of our company. I am less than 30 and I have only been with the company for less than 10 years.

January I am going to UK for the mandatory training. I was certified to practice in Nigeria few years ago and next year, I would be fully certified to practice in UK.

I didn't get there by being stupid or getting intimidated by what people think of my process.

1 Like

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by EdoBoy90(m): 10:42am On Sep 23, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

Ok. Hopefully by the end of 2nd week of Feb, I would take delivery of my promotion letter and this would make me one of the youngest in the history of our company. I am less than 30 and I have only been with the company for less than 10 years.

January I am going to UK for the mandatory training. I was certified to practice in Nigeria few years ago and next year, I would be fully certified to practice in UK.

I didn't get there by being stupid or getting intimidated by what people think of my process.

OfficialAPCNig, please still remember us, me and the other guy as promised by you. Kingsley.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by TRUSTEDGUY: 8:03pm On Sep 23, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

You have an impressive resume no doubt but I am not moved by these because you merely harness the opportunities that came your way .

As far as am concern if you are as good as you claim you would have moved to more strategic function in HR .

I am not an HR practitioner but l knew the field inside out. If I were to take up a career in HR I would have prefer more strategic functions like Organisational design and development , Talent management and development , Employee Relations and Negotiation, Training and development, before your recruitment and selection.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 6:22am On Sep 24, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

You have an impressive resume no doubt but I am not moved by these because you merely harness the opportunities that came your way .

As far as am concern if you are as good as you claim you would have moved to more strategic function in HR .

I am not an HR practitioner but l knew the field inside out. If I were to take up a career in HR I would have prefer more strategic functions like Organisational design and development , Talent management and development , Employee Relations and Negotiation, Training and development, before your recruitment and selection.
So the promotion, what do you think it is for? Achieved in less than 10 years. That is a record itself.

What do you understand by strategic HR roles? Anyway I head my organisation's star team, if you understand what that means. We handle all those responsibilities, except Organisational design, which is a separate Team and all the Teams are under one Department headed by a Senior management staff and luckily I am joining that cadre next year.

Currently, I am on the same level with the Head of Organisational Designs and he has close to 20 years experience in the field.

I hate talking too much because it would seem that I am being arrogant for grace I attribute only to God.

I thought you are even into HR.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 6:25am On Sep 24, 2018
EdoBoy90:

OfficialAPCNig, please still remember us, me and the other guy as promised by you. Kingsley.
I would reassign you to someone else. I wouldn't be around to handle that process again.

Keep reminding me. Thank you.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by TRUSTEDGUY: 11:16am On Sep 24, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

So the promotion, what do you think it is for? Achieved in less than 10 years. That is a record itself.

What do you understand by strategic HR roles? Anyway I head my organisation's star team, if you understand what that means. We handle all those responsibilities, except Organisational design, which is a separate Team and all the Teams are under one Department headed by a Senior management staff and luckily I am joining that cadre next year.

Currently, I am on the same level with the Head of Organisational Designs and he has close to 20 years experience in the field.

I hate talking too much because it would seem that I am being arrogant for grace I attribute only to God.

I thought you are even into HR.

As a CIPM practitioner aspirating for CIPD I was expecting real technical questions. OK. A star team is a high performing team and comprises of high performing and high potential individuals. They are usually valued by their organisation.

Before I answer your first question I will like to clarify something. Strategic function is different from strategic roles.

A strategic role is the role responsible for the long range planning of the business and it determines the wellbeing of the business. In HR they are usually positioned in areas where key HR data are synthesised and interpreted or they are key decision makers.

Although you claim to handle activities in the strategic functions but I can clearly see that it is in a transactional role. You are probably Head of HR services.

Comparing yourself to Head of Organisational design is akin to a Head Nurse comparing his/her self to a Head medical doctor. Do you think your organisation is a fool for keeping an individual with close to 20 years in that role? He/She is the strategic head of HR.

Since I have answered your question let me ask mine.

What are the advantages of P-O fit to P-J fit in recruitment.

What is the difference between Talent Management and Succession Management.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 7:19pm On Sep 24, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

As a CIPM practitioner aspirating for CIPD I was expecting real technical questions. OK. A star team is a high performing team and comprises of high performing and high potential individuals. They are usually valued by their organisation.

Before I answer your first question I will like to clarify something. Strategic function is different from strategic roles.

A strategic role is the role responsible for the long range planning of the business and it determines the wellbeing of the business. In HR they are usually positioned in areas where key HR data are synthesised and interpreted or they are key decision makers.

Although you claim to handle activities in the strategic functions but I can clearly see that it is in a transactional role. You are probably Head of HR services.

Comparing yourself to Head of Organisational design is akin to a Head Nurse comparing his/her self to a Head medical doctor. Do you think your organisation is a fool for keeping an individual with close to 20 years in that role? He/She is the strategic head of HR.

Since I have answered your question let me ask mine.

What are the advantages of P-O fit to P-J fit in recruitment.

What is the difference between Talent Management and Succession Management.
I can't descend to that level with you. Believe whatever you want.

But before I leave you, let me help you. Strategic simply means long term.

Organisational Design is a function within HRM just like Recruitment and Selection, Training and appraisal.

Design is one boring work. Recruitment is as strategic as Designs. This is because even if you come up with the best design and Recruitment is unable to fill up those roles with smart pips, you just wasted your time. But without Designs Recruitments would know the roles to start filling for and the requisite skills.

Like I told you before, I am currently on the same level with our Head of O.D and I got my promotion first.

This is the farthest I can go with your game.

I am not on Nairaland to run a race rat. I am here to bash APC and whatever they represent.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by TRUSTEDGUY: 8:38pm On Sep 24, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

I can't descend to that level with you. Believe whatever you want.

But before I leave you, let me help you. Strategic simply means long term.

Organisational Design is a function within HRM just like Recruitment and Selection, Training and appraisal.

Design is one boring work. Recruitment is as strategic as Designs. This is because even if you come up with the best design and Recruitment is unable to fill up those roles with smart pips, you just wasted your time. But without Designs Recruitments would know the roles to start filling for and the requisite skills.

Like I told you before, I am currently on the same level with our Head of O.D and I got my promotion first.

This is the farthest I can go with your game.

I am not on Nairaland to run a race rat. I am here to bash APC and whatever they represent.

Then go and BASH the APC. Form your explanation you are not in a strategic role.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by slimbless(f): 10:26pm On Sep 24, 2018
@OfficialAPCNig Thank you so much for this post.
Pls I'd like to know the differences between Resume and CV.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by EdoBoy90(m): 7:17am On Sep 25, 2018
This platform is getting interesting every seconds, minutes and day.

I am following OfficialAPCNig and TRUSTEDGUY assiduously.

We are here to learn from other disciplines in addition to our engineering accumulated experience and capabilities.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by kunlesmiles(m): 10:24am On Sep 25, 2018
Sir, am a graduate of Pure and Applied Chemistry, am also a masters degree holder in Industrial Chemistry, and I don't seem to be getting any invite, could my age be one of reasons am not getting an invite,am 32 years old, what can I do to increase my chances of getting a job.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 6:40am On Sep 26, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

Then go and BASH the APC. Form your explanation you are not in a strategic role.
Are you sure you even understand what this term you have been throwing around careless is?

Strategic roles are those roles carried out strictly to achieve long term objectives.

Tactical roles are the day to day performance of strategic roles.

Strategic roles are geared towards business sustainability.

Every function in corporate HR is strategic.

Like I said before, I am not playing this rat race with you. I defended my Masters thesis 3 years ago and I am not going to do that on Nairaland again.

Thank you.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 6:45am On Sep 26, 2018
kunlesmiles:
Sir, am a graduate of Pure and Applied Chemistry, am also a masters degree holder in Industrial Chemistry, and I don't seem to be getting any invite, could my age be one of reasons am not getting an invite,am 32 years old, what can I do to increase my chances of getting a job.
Is it in education?

If yes, where are you based?
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 6:55am On Sep 26, 2018
slimbless:
@OfficialAPCNig Thank you so much for this post.
Pls I'd like to know the differences between Resume and CV.
We don't use a resume in Nigeria and nobody is going to ask you to submit one.

Resume is just a summary of your CV and it is usually a page.

This is the reason I always advise people not submit a one page CV. One system would filter it out thinking it is a resume.

We only ask for resume for advance roles and successfully shortlisted candidates would be asked to submit a CV.

I hope this answers your question?
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by kunlesmiles(m): 7:09am On Sep 26, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

Is it in education?

If yes, where are you based?
my degree is
B. Tech not B. Ed, I can work in an Industry and I can also teach, am presently in Kogi State, but am open to relocating .thanks for your response
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by TRUSTEDGUY: 7:18am On Sep 26, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

Are you sure you even understand what this term you have been throwing around careless is?

Strategic roles are those roles carried out strictly to achieve long term objectives.

Tactical roles are the day to day performance of strategic roles.

Strategic roles are geared towards business sustainability.

Every function in corporate HR is strategic.

Like I said before, I am not playing this rat race with you. I defended my Masters thesis 3 years ago and I am not going to do that on Nairaland again.

Thank you.

Let me clarify you using recruitment as an example. Strategic roles deals with long term planning in the case of recruitment it entails man power/workforce planning, new skills requirements, Organizational interventions and they are done by the executives

Tactical roles are not day to day functions as you
claim but mid-term roles in the case of recruitment would entail high potential identification, candidates sourcing channels, using recruitment analytics to improve the process and it is undertaking by management typically GM and snr managers .

Finally we have the operational roles which involved the day to day functions of recruitment like screening of CVs short listing of candidates interviews and the likes handle by recruiters

NOT all roles in corporate HR is strategic. Corporate HR depends on the size of the organisation. smaller organisation will have all HR functions in corporate but larger organisations will have just strategic functions and roles in corporate and other distributed within the business.

AND to remain you you've not answered my question. Abi you no know am?
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by dramaticspeak(m): 12:27pm On Sep 26, 2018
I agree with @officialapcng. Every function in corporate hr is strategic.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by woodfrank(m): 1:18pm On Sep 26, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

Let me clarify you using recruitment as an example. Strategic roles deals with long term planning in the case of recruitment it entails man power/workforce planning, new skills requirements, Organizational interventions and they are done by the executives

Tactical roles are not day to day functions as you
claim but mid-term roles in the case of recruitment would entail high potential identification, candidates sourcing channels, using recruitment analytics to improve the process and it is undertaking by management typically GM and snr managers .

Finally we have the operational roles which involved the day to day functions of recruitment like screening of CVs short listing of candidates interviews and the likes handle by recruiters

NOT all roles in corporate HR is strategic. Corporate HR depends on the size of the organisation. smaller organisation will have all HR functions in corporate but larger organisations will have just strategic functions and roles in corporate and other distributed within the business.

AND to remain you you've not answered my question. Abi you no know am?

Baba, it seems you are ever ready to help. Please I need your help. Please pm your email. Thank you.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by TRUSTEDGUY: 3:08pm On Sep 26, 2018
dramaticspeak:
I agree with @officialapcng. Every function in corporate hr is strategic.

Including HR Administration, Payroll, Recruitment and employee welfare? shocked

No body fit catch me mugu again I don know everything for HR. grin

Tell me why did the NNPC outsource recruitment? Because it is a transcational role not transformational .

I repeat not all HR roles are strategic that is why organisations outsource those transnational roles to save cost.

The strategic roles are those roles your clients companies will never out source. grin
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by Fabuloski(m): 3:09pm On Sep 26, 2018
souljaboi51:

You are a recruiter and you are handling 11,000 cvs when there are applications and algorithms imbeded in websites that can narrow it down for u. Lmaooo is this a joke?

Continue giving yourself unecessary headache in the 21st century. Smh

please sir, I am an undergraduate and I will love you to elaborate about these applications and algorithms.
Thank you.
I will be sending a mail for future purpose if that cool with you

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

When Are We Going To Talk About These Lebanese And Chinese Companies / Hilton Worldwide FINESSE Graduate Finance Programme. / Gnld Network Marketing Opportunity Please Read!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.