Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,253 members, 7,780,539 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:04 PM

Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers (608 Views)

Obi Donates ₦3m To Benue IDPs, Says Nigerians Should Not Be Living Like Refugees / Sanusi Living 'Like A Prisoner' In Nasarawa, Police, NSCDC Deny Visitors Access / EXCLUSIVE: 'No Pay Since May..We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers In Gubio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by Built2last: 10:02pm On Jul 31, 2018
“Since we have been on this assignment, we have not been eating well. No food for us to eat and we have no money to get food. We were supposed to be paid N1,000 daily but we were never given. The last time we got money was May, after the two weeks of training we had before coming to Gubio. We've been living like refugees."

Nigerian Military deployed to Gubio Local Government in Borno State have accused the government and the chief of Army staff, Tukur Buratai, of abandoning them in the state.

The troops, who were recently attacked by Boko Haram, bitterly complained that the Chief of Army Staff sent them to Borno with inadequate ammunition despite the refusal of many soldiers to embark on the trip.

They said they had not been eating feeding well since their deployment to Gubio, particularly because they hadn't been paid their allowances since May.

The attack, according to one of the survivors, began at night and the soldiers were completely overpowered.

“The Boko Haram people came with nine gun trucks and military motors. We were surprised because the trucks were painted in the same colour of the army," the soldier, who asked not to be named for fear of losing his job, told SaharaReporters.

“They opened fire and when we could not face them because of our weapon, we all ran away. They followed us with big torchlights and killed many of us.”

Another source within the Nigerian Army revealed to SaharaReporters that the troops, who camped in a bush in Gubio, near Chad, were not given sufficient ammunition and materials to protect themselves and the territory.

“The troops were deployed to Gubio on 7th of June because of the Army Day that took place on the 6th of July," he said

“When they were asked to go, many of the soldiers declined but they were forced to go. They were given little combative weapons and ammunition to protect themselves. Many of them were afraid that Boko Haram would attack them.”

Lamenting the ugly situations they found themselves, the soldiers disclosed to SaharaReporters that they sometimes went two days without food because they are not well-paid.

“Since we have been on this assignment, we have not been eating well. No food for us to eat and we have no money to get food. We were supposed to be paid N1,000 daily but we were never given. The last time we got money was May, after the two weeks of training we had before coming to Gubio.”

Speaking about casualties of the recent attack in Gubio, another survivor told SaharaReporters that of the about 700 soldiers, less than 150 were alive and could be accounted for.

“When we did the last headcount, we were just 150. Fifty-two bodies were recovered dead from the attack and that means about 500 are still missing.”

The soldier added that some might be dead while fleeing the attacks.

The troops further criticised the Federal Government for not sending any aid since the attack; they added that they were "living like refugees".

“It is sad that nobody has come to see us or sent anything to us since we relocated to Gubi town," he added. “We are living like refugees because we are staying in a secondary school opposite 5 Brigade in Borno.”

The soldiers demanded that they are immediately taken out of Borno and returned to their units.

When contacted, Brigadier General Texas Jude Chukwu, Director Army Public Relations, debunked every claim, reiterating that the Army is not an institution that would send its personnel to a war zone and forget them there.

“Why would a soldier be complaining? Complaining of what? Are they owing any soldier?" he asked? “There is nothing like that, please. They are not owing anybody."

On his part, Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu also discredited the accusation that the Nigeria Army does not provide adequate welfare for soldiers. He added that allowance for every official is #45,000.

“The operational allowance for all soldiers is a flat rate of #45,000. It is unfair for anybody to say they’ve been in this theatre and they have not been fed. If there is any complaint, there is a simple channel of communication.”

He added, “The affected soldiers should get in touch with the Brigade Commander in Gubio. If the soldier is not going to the headquarters in Gubio, then there is an issue.

He further mentioned that there are soldiers in Malam Fatori, Kangarwa, who travel down to get their allowance.

The Colonel also stated that the Theatre Commander in Gubio doesn’t take the welfare of soldiers lightly.

“The welfare of our soldiers is very paramount. The Theatre Commander goes down the ladder to ensure soldiers are properly taken care of.”

He reiterated that personnel are supplied with enough ammunition to face insurgents group in the part of the country.

http://saharareporters.com/2018/07/30/exclusive-no-pay-may-were-living-refugees-say-soldiers-gubio#.W2C4ODpwEow.facebook

1 Like

Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by amaniro: 10:03pm On Jul 31, 2018
say Buhari grintongue

1 Like

Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by Merimental(m): 10:05pm On Jul 31, 2018
we are even talking internal conflict yet soldiers ar not well paid or even equipped...is it dis same soldiers dat ar supposed to be d Country's last defence against outside force/threat dat will be mobilized to fight WARS n WIN?...dey will be swept aside b4 it even begins..
Every tin is upside-down currently in dis country...enemy countries do not even fear naija anymore...
Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:10pm On Jul 31, 2018
The President should look into this matter URGENTLY and find out the people at the bottom of these wicked act of impunity.

Our soldiers should never witnessed all they went through in the past.
They are laying their lives on the line for the country.

Our President, dig into the matter personally...NOW!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by madridguy(m): 10:11pm On Jul 31, 2018
This is bad.

PMB should act fast on this allegation.
Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by Tolexander: 10:20pm On Jul 31, 2018
madridguy:
This is bad.

PMB should act fast on this allegation.
lol bro gringringrin

Which allegation is PMB looking into?

But Garba Shehu said PMB has compromised the entire military and civil defense. cheesy
Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by mpianya39(m): 10:32pm On Jul 31, 2018
Chai grin Egwu eke dance need their own private idp camp somewhere in simbasa forest grin grin grin

Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by ManirBK: 10:40pm On Jul 31, 2018
Agents of looters PDP behind the sapotage
Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by AroleOduduwa(m): 10:42pm On Jul 31, 2018
Buhari has failed every living thing in Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by Karlovich: 10:46pm On Jul 31, 2018
You retards better start shooting fulanis and killing cows anywhere you see them, that is the only way the senile bastard can come to your aid
Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by bedspread: 11:05pm On Jul 31, 2018
Toooo bad
Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by annnikky(f): 11:15pm On Jul 31, 2018
Does the dullard know what is happening around him talk more of the con3, no, unless his aides brief him about happenings in the con3 and that is more reason why is he should go back to daura to retire peacefully buh no he is intoxicated with power.
Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by RevenGeMission: 11:44pm On Jul 31, 2018
I agree , if a soldier really said this and it's true , Buratai needs a overhaul, like remove him permanently , however from personal records, Buhari has been super generous with Army , i have a friend whose dad was ill for years, Buhari paid all salaries, pensions and everything else, Till this day , as long as you a verified army member , retired or serving treatment at any hospital is free !!

Ask anybody else because children of hate will still argue with their destiny

post=69874077:
The President should look into this matter URGENTLY and find out the people at the bottom of these wicked act of impunity.

Our soldiers should never witnessed all they went through in the past.
They are laying their lives on the line for the country.

Our President, dig into the matter personally...NOW!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by iykofias(m): 11:52pm On Jul 31, 2018
So you want buhari to pay you for fighting his terrorists? You better burn that uniform go find handwork

Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by fykes(m): 12:08am On Aug 01, 2018
RevenGeMission:
I agree , if a soldier really said this and it's true , Buratai needs a overhaul, like remove him permanently , however from personal records, Buhari has been super generous with Army , i have a friend whose dad was ill for years, Buhari paid all salaries, pensions and everything else, Till this day , as long as you a verified army member , retired or serving treatment at any hospital is free !!

Ask anybody else because children of hate will still argue with their destiny

Your friend is a Northerner... From your post I can authoritatively deduce that you are not anywhere close to military circles...if you wanna know what rot goes on in the army get close to atleast a major in the army. I won't write anything here but plss don't insult the sensibilities of all thoae who their loved ones have paid the supreme price in NA. Your friends dad is just 0.00001% and hes just lucky.
Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by RevenGeMission: 3:33am On Aug 01, 2018
Actually Child of hate , My friend is Yoruba , we spoke and had drinks together just yesterday , i took his dad to hospital twice around osun state and all he ever presents was some kind of card , no cash , no bills and he gets whatever meds or treatments he requires

No , i am not saying the army is filled with saints, i am saying at least under buhari the care package among other things for military is being taken care of

FYI i have several military guys as friends, i for one went to CSSJ several years back was going to cross with my friends to NDA or NMS until
some people started freaking out and yes i still visit some of them whenever i have the chance, You do not know it all

fykes:

Your friend is a Northerner... From your post I can authoritatively deduce that you are not anywhere close to military circles...if you wanna know what rot goes on in the army get close to atleast a major in the army. I won't write anything here but plss don't insult the sensibilities of all thoae who their loved ones have paid the supreme price in NA. Your friends dad is just 0.00001% and hes just lucky.
Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by Yankee101: 3:44am On Aug 01, 2018
Soldiers doing press up...until....
Re: Sahara Reporters: No Pay Since May... We're Living Like Refugees', Say Soldiers by cosmatika(m): 3:45am On Aug 01, 2018
Ok

(1) (Reply)

The Face Of A Liar / Proof That, And Explanation As To Why APC Has No Morals / Buhari Would Be Full Blown Dictator If Allowed To Return In 2019 – Soyinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.