Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) (38449 Views)

I'm 30 And Still Living With My Parents..smh / Genotype: I'm The Only One Still Living In This Picture - Man / Age 25 With 1 Million Naira & Living With My Parents: Buy Land Or Pack Out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by justtoodark: 12:27pm On Aug 01, 2018
samuelchimmy:
I don't understand why you can't save 20k per month for one year and move out .. I was earning less than 10k with some daily changes when I started living alone,i was 18 then,i remember when I started, my room was empty, I slept on cold floor for some time, bought some few stuffs including bed... But I must mention rentage was 30k per year....... I'm 23 now.you can do it bro, but there will be many times when you wish you were in your parents house

he should keep on using the help of his parents...let them help you pay the half of the rent,till you can stand on your own....

they would still try to control you...but you are not in the same house no more....

he can be happy people still care about him sef......
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by dam007(m): 12:28pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:
Greetings family-landers, I'm having this issue which has been bordering me, I finished service last year, recently got an online side hustle which gives me 30k per month.

And at 26,I'm no longer comfortable staying at home with my parents, I can't hang out late with my friends without my parents drowning my phone with calls, as early as 8.pm at night the calls will start flowing as if I'm a customer care agent. (really frustrating)

Almost all my guys are living on their own, and to make matters worse, I can't receive any female visitor cos of my religious parents and lack of privacy.

On the flip side, I'm scared if a 30k monthly salary can be enough for a guy who wants to rent and probably furnish a self-con of 70-80k per year. (I'm not the extravagant type)

I've never lived alone so I'm really confused if I should make this move at this point in my life.

Guys who are living on their own, what's your take on this?

brother, I left home at 25, my parents were too smoldering, they in fact offered to give me transport to work but that liberty to go out, party, hosts friends or do anything fun... much like what you're facing currently. I had a similar pay too, actually I was favoured to find an agent who agreed to hire me, pay 30k but deduct 10k per month to defray my rent. it was the right set up... mind you, it was God purely, no connections or favour.
the catch really is this, in that comfort zone, nothing positive will happen to your status. it'll only deteriorate. do you have a girlfriend?? mine was my ultimate motivation. she actually threatened to leave if I didn't find a job however little and start off. your parents may still help out while you find your footing but be rest assured. you have what it takes to take the bold step. pray about it, then get the Bleep outta there. daddy's money can buy you chicken and fried rice but I kid you not, it'll never be as sweet as the garri and suya you purchase with your hard earned money. if you know you know.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by yesloaded: 12:29pm On Aug 01, 2018
obailala:
I disagree with the bolded; what exactly is wrong about his reasons?... and what could possibly pass as a 'right reason'?

Truth is that the reasons he gave (i.e. freedom and privacy) is the reason 95% of guys (who still live in the same city with their parents) moved out of their family houses. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 26 year old guy man desiring to have freedom and privacy.

Irrespective of his current income, this is the time in his life when he needs to start learning to live alone and also a time he needs to start sampling and learning how to receive or be with women; he's already walked into the marriage realm and he shouldnt really wait till he got 300k before he starts learning to be with women.
so because his parent never allowed him to keep late night out is bad right? how old are you biko?
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by obailala(m): 12:30pm On Aug 01, 2018
yesloaded:

Your reasons is not enough bro, I still stay inside my father house even when I already made my first million naira. I remain in single room in my father house, I pay more than 30k to staffs I employed in my own office and to make matter worse, my Dada house to my office is 700 to 800naira transport fee everyday while I can get myself decent self contain or 2bedroom flat at 100k to 120k very close to my office without any transport fare. You should focus on how to develop yourself other than keeping late night outings, partying or carrying girls up and down. Work hard, make money and very other things shall fall in place bro.
Good luck
Someone who's 26, but you're still giving him the advice of a teenager?... He should stay in his fathers house as a 26 year old man?... Even his father would be irritated by his presence. And yes, living out of the home and receiving 1, 2 or 100 female visitors, that's a basic requirement/phase in a man's life before he gets married, it doesnt necessarily make him irresponsible. He s8mply desirrs to be a man before crossing to the next stage in his life which is marriage.

4 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by dukeo(m): 12:31pm On Aug 01, 2018
pocohantas:
Nothing wrong with seeking to move out of your parents house, but you want to do it for all the wrong reasons.

So, your definition of worse is that you can't receive female visitors?

Took em right out of my keyboard
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Lomprico2: 12:31pm On Aug 01, 2018
Its good you want to leave ur parents home, but don't do so because u want to hang out late n take girls home!
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by obailala(m): 12:33pm On Aug 01, 2018
yesloaded:

so because his parent never allowed him to keep late night out is bad right? how old are you biko?
I'm a man, and I know what it means to have some freedom, space and privacy. There's a difference between a man who's already over 25 and working and a teenager.

1 Like

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by enemachris(m): 12:33pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:
Greetings family-landers, I'm having this issue which has been bordering me, I finished service last year, recently got an online side hustle which gives me 30k per month.

And at 26,I'm no longer comfortable staying at home with my parents, I can't hang out late with my friends without my parents drowning my phone with calls, as early as 8.pm at night the calls will start flowing as if I'm a customer care agent. (really frustrating)

Almost all my guys are living on their own, and to make matters worse, I can't receive any female visitor cos of my religious parents and lack of privacy.

On the flip side, I'm scared if a 30k monthly salary can be enough for a guy who wants to rent and probably furnish a self-con of 70-80k per year. (I'm not the extravagant type)
I've never lived alone so I'm really confused if I should make this move at this point in my life.

At least you are an adult and you have even finished service. So moving out of you parents house is not a bad idea because you need to go out there and face the four square of life and your parents will not also see you as a burden . What you should consider first is the standard of living of where you are. I could remember collecting N19800 IN Ondo State, Isua Akoko to be precise and was living well. So standard living is the deciding factor bro.

1 Like

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by moststylish(m): 12:33pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:

Finally, someone who has been in a similar situation, few days ago, I was on a sweet lovely date with one Chica bonita, Before I could say Jack, calls had started flowing in... SMH.

Talking about properties, first of all, My target is a room self-con, can't afford two rooms, and one room face me I face you is a total turnoff for me.

I already Have a mattress, I envisage it's mostly electronics and fridge that I will have to save for.

With Side hustles like playing musical instruments and writing yielding about 40k monthly, I Still plan to apply for a regular job.

And if there's vacancy for the company I write for, I'll sure notify you
am wondering where your location is currently to be contemplating 70-80k rent for a room self con. Here in warri if you don't have 180k plus agent fees don't bother and even bed sitter goes for 120k, so you can imagine the trauma of an unemployed graduate here.

1 Like

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by siegfried99(m): 12:34pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:

Look for a friend u can share accommodation with.
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by DavidEsq(m): 12:34pm On Aug 01, 2018
zicoraads:

I moved out of my parents house at this age too. cheesy

But I was definitely earning more than you. I totally understand your points, I won't lie, that was some of the reasons I decided to move as well. I remember back then, my dad will call me at about 8:30 and say things like 'I'm about to lock my gate, you had better start coming home'. Some days it was really embarrassing, especially when the outing was a dinner at work or the likes.

For you though, too soon. Way, way too soon. There are a lot of things to be done before taking that step.

I'll advice you start buying a few things though. Get your own mattress if you don't have any. A two seater couch. A small TV. Gas etc. With few sacrifices, you should be able to get the basics in about a year and move out in that same year.

Then think about moving to a room self contain first. Cut your coat according to your size.

But realize that once you do, you are on your own. There are bills to pay. Power, gas, water, food etc. And before you know it, it'll be time to pay another rent. So be sure this is what you want.

Oh, and I'm interested in that writing job as well. Is there space for another writer?

Pocohantas, this thread is for guys only. Steer clear cos you can't relate. tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by justtoodark: 12:34pm On Aug 01, 2018
obailala:
Someone who's 26, but you're still giving him the advice of a teenager?... He should stay in his fathers house as a 26 year old man?... Even his father would be irritated by his presence. And yes, living out of the home and receiving 1, 2 or 100 female visitors, that's a basic requirement/phase in a man's life before he gets married, it doesnt necessarily make him irresponsible. He s8mply desirrs to be a man before crossing to the next stage in his life which is marriage.

carrying girls upandan is a bad idea...choose wan you like most and marry her immediatly....

young marriage is the best.....
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by newoffer: 12:34pm On Aug 01, 2018
Gentlevin:
@op. From your write up, I can deduce that all you want is freedom to do whatever you like just because your friends are doing same. Let me tell u that your 30k is nothing in this present economy. Better remain with your parents for now and do some savings till when you are buoyant enough to live on your own...

Better leave girls alone and focus on building your life. If the so-called female visitors come visiting, is it from the same 30k that u will be using to feed yourself and also entertain them? be wise my guy.

My brother respect the poverty you are trying to indulge your self into. U don't need a girl friend now Bro. My youngest bro earns 80k while his babe earn 270k. The family of the girl discourage their relationship. Save where u are right now.

You will suffer. Take away ladies from you r plan. U will spend all ur money on them. Big dick is not enough to keep a woman.

8 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by yesloaded: 12:36pm On Aug 01, 2018
obailala:
Someone who's 26, but you're still giving him the advice of a teenager?... He should stay in his fathers house as a 26 year old man?... Even his father would be irritated by his presence. And yes, living out of the home and receiving 1, 2 or 100 female visitors, that's a basic requirement/phase in a man's life before he gets married. He s8mply desirrs to be a man before crossing to the next stage in his life which is marriage.
Read up my post again but this time gently, I have all what it takes to leave my fathers house even at age of 18yrs but I never left not because o any other thing. Am not talking as a boy or giving rubbish advise but my advise was based on his reasons which is keeping friends, late night outings and inability to bring in girls. His parent can't tell him not to have girlfriend at at 26years in fact a 25years old man who's capable of providing for his family should go and get married. No responsible parent will allow his child bringing in all sorts of women home anyhow and no responsible parent will encourage their child to keep late night outings like partying, clubbing and all sorts. if its due to work or other reasons, he can leave but based on his aforementioned reasons then he's not on the right path

6 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by DavidEsq(m): 12:37pm On Aug 01, 2018
zicoraads:

Yups, apply for a regular job. I have one and two others. And I'm hoping to add that writing too, especially now that I'm free.

When I moved into mine, I only had a GOTv and a 32 inch TV. grin

You mustn't have a fridge and all. There is a thread on Nairaland about home clearance sales. I've seen really cheap and good items there. So you can start from there.
Abeg wr is dat thread o! I wan buy stuff for my son.
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by emelda86(f): 12:37pm On Aug 01, 2018
On a more serious note to live alone is good but your reasons are somehow because of woman naim make u wan move its a good initiative but...

E get time wey e go reach u go dey crave for mama thank ma....

2 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by newoffer: 12:37pm On Aug 01, 2018
justtoodark:

carrying girls upandan is a bad idea...choose wan you like most and marry her immediatly....

young marriage is the best.....

Inbox me if u need private sense. I bought all my stuff before renting an apartment. Cost of living is mad right now.
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by commited(m): 12:38pm On Aug 01, 2018
I must say that's a brave thought. Staying on your own will expose you to a lot if things which you dont plan for and you have to be very very self discipline and concious of the things you do and you you go about doing them, faninancial planing and the will power to say ye or no irrespective of the person you are dealing with. But must tell yourslef the truth WHY DO YOU WANT TO MOVE out of your parents house. Are you strong enough to handle the realities of staying on your own.

However, do you see your inline income rising in the future or do you have a back up plan aside that.

I will say yes to it but once you take that start bro, there is no going back.

Life will not give you all you need at your comfort zone. Miracles do happen but you gave to go out and take what you need out of life.

I pray God help you. Have faith and all will be well.
Charmingrascal:
It is advisable for every young man at the age of at most 25 years who can afford an apartment of his own to leave his parents house.
At the age of 25 every young man should strive to leave his comfort zone (parents' house) not because u want to live a life that no one will check mate u but because u have to be a man of ur own.

#Mytake
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by jeff1607(m): 12:38pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:

I 've only one thing to tell you. live within your means

1 Like

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by yesloaded: 12:38pm On Aug 01, 2018
obailala:
I'm a man, and I know what it means to have some freedom, space and privacy. There's a difference between a man who's already over 25 and working and a teenager.
I understand what freedom means but his own definition of freedom is completely out of it.
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by DavidEsq(m): 12:40pm On Aug 01, 2018
dam007:
brother, I left home at 25, my parents were too smoldering, they in fact offered to give me transport to work but that liberty to go out, party, hosts friends or do anything fun... much like what you're facing currently. I had a similar pay too, actually I was favoured to find an agent who agreed to hire me, pay 30k but deduct 10k per month to defray my rent. it was the right set up... mind you, it was God purely, no connections or favour.
the catch really is this, in that comfort zone, nothing positive will happen to your status. it'll only deteriorate. do you have a girlfriend?? mine was my ultimate motivation. she actually threatened to leave if I didn't find a job however little and start off. your parents may still help out while you find your footing but be rest assured. you have what it takes to take the bold step. pray about it, then get the Bleep outta there. daddy's money can buy you chicken and fried rice but I kid you not, it'll never be as sweet as the garri and suya you purchase with your hard earned money. if you know you know.
Na dis kain thread suppose dey grace front page on a steady basis.

1 Like

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Shaev7(m): 12:40pm On Aug 01, 2018
czarina:
Been there done that.
Dr. Dre
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:42pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:

If you leave your parents house, your mind will "force" you to make more than 30K/month.

3 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by gdon1010(m): 12:43pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:

Lol, na yesterday I knack the question, na u come dey see am this morning
hey bro I got sumtin 2 ask u and will appreciate if u can put me tru... chat me pls 08039332382
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Buffalowings3(m): 12:45pm On Aug 01, 2018
zicoraads:

Yups, apply for a regular job. I have one and two others. And I'm hoping to add that writing too, especially now that I'm free.

When I moved into mine, I only had a GOTv and a 32 inch TV. grin

You mustn't have a fridge and all. There is a thread on Nairaland about home clearance sales. I've seen really cheap and good items there. So you can start from there.

Oya link the thread o
I hope say no be Lagos alone sha
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by frozen70(f): 12:45pm On Aug 01, 2018
If you pack out for those things you mentioned as reason
Be prepared and make up your mind that you won't go back to them for any help
Those things you mentioned shows that you what freedom
Freedom is good but it comes with a price

Are you ready for it?

3 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Dami12345: 12:46pm On Aug 01, 2018
zicoraads:

I moved out of my parents house at this age too. cheesy

But I was definitely earning more than you. I totally understand your points, I won't lie, that was some of the reasons I decided to move as well. I remember back then, my dad will call me at about 8:30 and say things like 'I'm about to lock my gate, you had better start coming home'. Some days it was really embarrassing, especially when the outing was a dinner at work or the likes.

For you though, too soon. Way, way too soon. There are a lot of things to be done before taking that step.

I'll advice you start buying a few things though. Get your own mattress if you don't have any. A two seater couch. A small TV. Gas etc. With few sacrifices, you should be able to get the basics in about a year and move out in that same year.

Then think about moving to a room self contain first. Cut your coat according to your size.

But realize that once you do, you are on your own. There are bills to pay. Power, gas, water, food etc. And before you know it, it'll be time to pay another rent. So be sure this is what you want.

Oh, and I'm interested in that writing job as well. Is there space for another writer?

Pocohantas, this thread is for guys only. Steer clear cos you can't relate. tongue

Fact!!
Ladies should steer clear. You can't relate.
Guys don't get free food, they don't have Random women sending them recharge cards, they don't have someone else paying rent, someone else paying school fees, someone else buying phones and someone else maintaining them so girls take your faulty advice and keep it.

To op, 30k isn't much, you need to expand your hustle if you want to have peace, wait a year, plan towards it.

And pls pls rent a house during the rainy season, this way you don't end up living in an aquarium.

Remember now you will have no support from mum and dad, and just imagine if the little source if income should disappear what next, so think well and plan,
Fuvvcking is all good and well but you have more years to fvck younger and sexer girls.
Peace bro, we have all been here. It won't be easy but you'll make it work.

2 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Luvdmx(m): 12:46pm On Aug 01, 2018
vingeophysicist:
get out from here.Your own situation is different nah. Men will definitely assist u.Are u not a lady?

Because she's a lady means she can't survive on her own?

Guy grow up and stop this your myopic reasoning, this is 2018.

2 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Ishilove: 12:47pm On Aug 01, 2018
oyb:

this was in 2003.

i did not get married until 2006, when i got a good job. my new bosses were definitely a little vexed. they had thought this young guy will enjoy the money and status for three or four years so we can use him well. instead - i got married within 6 months smiley
Wow..that was just a few years after I was born...In other words, you are old enough to be my father.

Twaile

2 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by vena92: 12:48pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:

This is exactly my point, I know I can hustle more when I'm alone, but at the moment, I just make Lil cash with my online stuff, and somehow I'm contented because I have free food and accommodation..

I just need something to challenge me.

Perhaps the reasons I gave in my post are mundane but yes, at 26, I'm supposed to have freedom to do what ever I wanna do(responsibly)
Brother can you drive? If yes then sign up on Uber/Taxify and start car-hunting.
That one fast way I am sure you can double your earnings and move out.
If you keep putting up with your folks, trust me you won't make so much progress.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man Died Of Heart Attack After His Wife Confessed To Him That She Cheated / One-year-old Baby Bites Snake To Death / Lady Dies 2 Months After Her Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.