Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,991 members, 7,803,285 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan (3380 Views)

Understanding The Gang Up Against Akanu Ibiam Intl Airport Enugu / APC Is A Gang-up - Ekweremadu (Deputy Senate President) / The Gang-up Against Emeagwali Is Ethnically Motivated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by naijaking1: 4:06pm On Jun 18, 2010
Since after the British gave independence to Nigeria, the northerners have had the most occupany of our presidency. In 1999, when Alex Ekeueme had an opportunity to win the PDP presidential ticket, many northerners lined up to rile against zoning the office. Now, following the death of Yar'dua, and the likehood that Jonathan might compete the election for a full term on his own merit, the same group is linining up with the same song, but this time in reverse. Their theme is that zoning must be respected. However, they forget to answer simple question about their inordinate ambition to hold on to power in Nigeria at all cost. Some of these questions are?

1. Where was zoning when Gowon, Murtala Mohammed, Buhari/Idiagbon, Babangida, Abacha, Shagari, Abubarkar were ruling the country since after the war? Only one southerner, OBJ was allowed to into the ruling circle, apart from Shonekan who acted for a few weeks.
2. Why are all these people suddenly PDP members, who are not only demanding, but misrepresenting PDP policies with the nation's policy.
3. Is IBB using the now famous terminology "northern interest" to boost his own presidential interest?
4. What would the south, especially SS, and to a lesser extent SE do? The role of SW is always ?
5. What's Jonathan going to do about it?

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

[size=28pt]2011: It’s zoning or nothing, Northern leaders read riot act [/size]
From AMOS DUNIA, FRANCIS AWOWOLE-BROWNE, TAIWO AMADU AND JAMES OJO, Abuja
Friday, June 18, 2010

The meeting of political leaders from the North strategizing to stop the perceived ambition of President Goodluck Jonathan for the 2011 elections took place Thursday night at the Shehu Musa Yar’Adua Centre, Abuja.
The meeting, which held behind closed-doors in the Atiku Abubakar hall started at about 8.00pm.

A dependable source close to the meeting told Daily Sun that the Northern political leaders harped on the need to put aside their differences with a view to pursuing the common good of the North with regards to the 2011 presidential race.

That common good of the North, Daily Sun gathered, centred around the need for the region to retain the presidency in 2011, in keeping with the spirit of zoning which the PDP had long adopted. Although the meeting drew attendance from across political parties, Daily Sun learnt it was headed towards, among other things, producing a Nigerian president of northern extraction.

The Northern leaders were particularly concerned that President Goodluck Jonathan had allowed some people driven by selfish desire to propel him towards contesting the 2011 Presidential election without recourse to unity and oneness of the country.

They noted that rather than face governance, President Jonathan had got engrossed in unnecessary and unwarranted tours, just to sell his candidacy, besides adopting intimidating tactics to coarse perceived opponents to drop their ambition in order to further his own cause to the detriment of the overall interest of the country.
As at the time of filing this report, the meeting was still in progress just as a communiqué based on the resolutions of the meeting is expected to be issued today.

ROLL CALL

Former military President Ibrahim Babangida; former Vice President Atiku Abubakar; ex-Minister of Finance Adamu Ciroma; former Inspector General of Police Mohammed Dikko Yusufu; Alhaji Jibril Maigari, former Minister of Commerce, Alhaji Bello Maitama Yusuf; Ex-governor of old Kaduna State, Alhaji Lawal Kaita; Alhaji Ibrahim Isa Kaita, Alhaji Suleiman Ishiaku, Mr. Eziekiel Ibrahim, former National Chairman of the defunct Democratic Party of Nigeria (DPN) Alhaji Saleh Hassan, Former Minister of the FCT, Air Vice Marshal Hamza Abdullahi (retd); former Minister of Internal Affairs, Gen. Muhammed Ali Magoro; former military Governor of old Western State and Minister of Police Affairs, Gen. David Jemibewon; former Governor of old Borno State, Alhaji Mohammed Goni; Sen. Daniel Sarror; Dr. Shettima Mustapha; Sen. Nuhu Aliyu (retd DIG); Sen. Awaisu Kuta; former National Chairman of PDP, Chief Audu Ogbeh; Prof. Ignatius Ayua; Former Governor of Kwara State, Alhaji Shaba Lafiaji; Alhaji Bello Kurfi; Senator Zainab Kure, wife of the former Governor of Niger State; Sen. Mohammed Ahmed; Hon. Kola Yusuf; former Senate Minority Leader, Senator Usman Albishir; former Chief of Army Staff General Salihu Ibrahim; Senator Gada who is a member of the National Interest Group in the Senate that worked to actualize the Doctrine of Necessity and the Coordinator of the meeting; former Senate President Senator Iyorchia Ayu; National Security Adviser, General Mohammed Aliyu Gusau.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Beaf: 4:11pm On Jun 18, 2010
Maybe its time for everybody to answer dem papa name. Maybe, it is time for the south to arm up.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by EzeUche(m): 4:15pm On Jun 18, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by EzeUche(m): 4:17pm On Jun 18, 2010
I know some of my Igbo brothers will insult me but the SE needs to throw their weight behind Jonathan.

The is getting way out of hand. If they want a conflict then we will give them a conflict. Jonathan a cousin of the Igbo must be protected at all cost.

1 Like

Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by naijaking1: 5:03pm On Jun 18, 2010
EzeUche:

I know some of my Igbo brothers will insult me but the SE needs to throw their weight behind Jonathan.

The is getting way out of hand. If they want a conflict then we will give them a conflict. Jonathan a cousin of the Igbo must be protected at all cost.

Against the background of all the internal problems in the former eastern Nigeria, against the backdrop of the memory my own family member killed by Ijaw people during the civil war, and against the background of all our former fraternicide in the east and the south in general, I agree with you that Igbo people, Edo people, Efik people, Yoruba people, Ibibio people and all others join hands, be prepared to fight and defend this president.

Why must we always justify evil in this country all in the name of "northern interest"?
A president goes AWOl for more than 6 months, and we did nothing in the name of northern interest.
Unqualified and mediocre people are used to run our country in various capacities in the name of northern interest.
We are afraid of calling a spade a spade in the name of northern interest
We have installed corruption against honesty because of northern interest.
We annulled June 12th, because northern interest.

We must rise up and speak with one voice, and say enough is enough.
The first step will be to allow governors of the former eastern Nigeria, and those of the former western Nigeria to meet officially, and according to their specific agenda just like their counterparts in the north meet everything for the interest of the north.

The north, and according to history will not voluntarily give up power, they must be met and confronted with some degree of their own medicine- threat of violence.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Cohomology: 5:22pm On Jun 18, 2010
Nigeria problem too much.

Can't the North just go on their own? When Ndi-Igbo taya for Naija dem no want dem to go, but these northerners are still trying to force their will on the rest of us?

Can the South unite and fend off these crooks calling themselves Northern elders?

Jonathan 2011!

1 Like

Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 5:29pm On Jun 18, 2010
naijaking1:

1. Where was zoning when Gowon, Murtala Mohammed, Buhari/Idiagbon, Babangida, Abacha, Shagari, Abubarkar were ruling the country since after the war? Only one southerner, OBJ was allowed to into the ruling circle, apart from Shonekan who acted for a few weeks.
First off, I believe zoning came in after democracy, so the list you have above is not applicable especially because most of those leaders came before democracy and PDP arrived in Nigeria. Secondly, zoning issue applies to PDP and not all of Nigeria.

naijaking1:

2. Why are all these people suddenly PDP members, who are not only demanding, but misrepresenting PDP policies with the nation's policy.
Misrepresenting PDP policies? WOW! That's a new one for me. The zoning issue started long before we found ourselves where we are today. It is NOT new and should not be treated as if it were. People are free to join whatever party they choose to but that ought not to stop progress in Nigeria, in anyway.

naijaking1:

3. Is IBB using the now famous terminology "northern interest" to boost his own presidential interest?
I have no answers to this question as I cannot read the man's mind!
naijaking1:

4. What would the south, especially SS, and to a lesser extent SE do? The role of SW is always ?
If the SS or SE decides to play AGAINST THE NORTH, it will most likely lose out in the end. What the SE/SS needs to do is rally together(NOTE: not saying around Jonathan) to demand Jonathan put in place an effective electoral system to ensure a fair and free election that rivals that which we had back on June 12th 1993.
The SE/SS should also call Jonathan to stand accountable for his part in all the decay. The only reason he has been able to rise to where he is today is because he rode the ZONING horse all the way to Aso Rock, and it would be hypocritical of him to now decide to DENY that.
We cannot pretend the man is a SAINT in all this and expect it all to end well. This is Nigeria and we have been used by these politicians to play this game for far too long. Not until we start holding them ALL, not some, accountable, will we start to see lasting change.

naijaking1:

5. What's Jonathan going to do about it?
If he is the man you all think him to be - if he even has a spine of his own, he will do the right thing by the NIGERIAN people, not the ND people, or the SS/SE alone.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by freegaza(m): 5:29pm On Jun 18, 2010
ROLL CALL

Former military President Ibrahim Babangida; former Vice President Atiku Abubakar; ex-Minister of Finance Adamu Ciroma; former Inspector General of Police Mohammed Dikko Yusufu; Alhaji Jibril Maigari, former Minister of Commerce, Alhaji Bello Maitama Yusuf; Ex-governor of old Kaduna State, Alhaji Lawal Kaita; Alhaji Ibrahim Isa Kaita, Alhaji Suleiman Ishiaku, Mr. Eziekiel Ibrahim, former National Chairman of the defunct Democratic Party of Nigeria (DPN) Alhaji Saleh Hassan, Former Minister of the FCT, Air Vice Marshal Hamza Abdullahi (retd); former Minister of Internal Affairs, Gen. Muhammed Ali Magoro; former military Governor of old Western State and Minister of Police Affairs, Gen. David Jemibewon; former Governor of old Borno State, Alhaji Mohammed Goni; Sen. Daniel Sarror; Dr. Shettima Mustapha; Sen. Nuhu Aliyu (retd DIG); Sen. Awaisu Kuta; former National Chairman of PDP, Chief Audu Ogbeh; Prof. Ignatius Ayua; Former Governor of Kwara State, Alhaji Shaba Lafiaji; Alhaji Bello Kurfi; Senator Zainab Kure, wife of the former Governor of Niger State; Sen. Mohammed Ahmed; Hon. Kola Yusuf; former Senate Minority Leader, Senator Usman Albishir; former Chief of Army Staff General Salihu Ibrahim; Senator Gada who is a member of the National Interest Group in the Senate that worked to actualize the Doctrine of Necessity and the Coordinator of the meeting; former Senate President Senator Iyorchia Ayu; National Security Adviser, General Mohammed Aliyu Gusau.

Jonathan is finished

[quote][/quote]
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Nchara: 5:31pm On Jun 18, 2010
Did I not see Aliyu Gusau's (NSA to the same jonathan) name on that list of those seeking to stop Jonathan? Now what is Jonathan doing with a traitor? Is Jonathan actually serious about 2011?
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by seanet02: 6:31pm On Jun 18, 2010
they will fail, the northerners have nothing to offer this country, we the southerners have to resist them. they can eat their cake and have it
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by naijaking1: 9:10pm On Jun 18, 2010
Kobojunkie:

First off, I believe zoning came in after democracy, so the list you have above is not applicable especially because most of those leaders came before democracy and PDP arrived in Nigeria. Secondly, zoning issue applies to PDP and not all of Nigeria.

Which democracy? The Balewa democracy? Shagari? Or Shonekan?
Zoning is about an attempt at fairness, you just can't dismiss the issue with some quasi-technicality. The zoning issue at stake is about PDP, I would agree, but you can see from the list that even non-member of PDP have joined in the chorus, because your-so-called northern interest trumps every other consideration in Nigeria.

Misrepresenting PDP policies? WOW! That's a new one for me. The zoning issue started long before we found ourselves where we are today. It is NOT new and should not be treated as if it were. People are free to join whatever party they choose to but that ought not to stop progress in Nigeria, in anyway.

I agree the issue is an internal PDP issue, and should not have been elevated to a national omnipotence. There has always been some form of zoning in Nigerian politics, right from the Balewa era, some form have more formal than others.

I have no answers to this question as I cannot read the man's mind! If the SS or SE decides to play AGAINST THE NORTH, it will most likely lose out in the end. What the SE/SS needs to do is rally together(NOTE: not saying around Jonathan) to demand Jonathan put in place an effective electoral system to ensure a fair and free election that rivals that which we had back on June 12th 1993.

Now you're talking, "an effective electoral system to ensure a free and fair election" I have not said anywhere that I like Jonathan personally, but for any group to gang up, and demand that the presidency belongs to them is not going to work. Jonathan is going to continue along the line of Yar'dua, hopefully with good modifications, but for the SS and SE to demand a fair election system while the whole north demand the presidency on a platter of northern interest gold is sort of silly, don't you think?

The SE/SS should also call Jonathan to stand accountable for his part in all the decay. The only reason he has been able to rise to where he is today is because he rode the ZONING horse all the way to Aso Rock, and it would be hypocritical of him to now decide to DENY that.
We cannot pretend the man is a SAINT in all this and expect it all to end well. This is Nigeria and we have been used by these politicians to play this game for far too long. Not until we start holding them ALL, not some, accountable, will we start to see lasting change.
If he is the man you all think him to be - if he even has a spine of his own, he will do the right thing by the NIGERIAN people, not the ND people, or the SS/SE alone.

Jonathan is not abandoning zoning, there is no denial that both Yar'dua, Jonathan, Mark, and Bankole came into office based on zoning. I am of the view that Jonathan be allowed to complete Yar'dua's expected term based on his merit. He shouldn't be denied a full term because he's from the SS. All those gunning for his head have not given him any chance, all they know is that the seat he's occupying belongs to them.

Among the group, IBB is the only one that has publicly thrown his hat into the presidential ring. It's easy to see how he would weep up sentiments and protest denial of zoning formula that promised unlimited northern domination of the presidency, but why should we, ordinary Nigerians fall for his Maradonna tactics again, and again, and again

Why doesn't IBB challenge Jonathan based on his record of accomplishements or lack thereof? Why gather old northern politicians together and cry "denial of northern interest"
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by seanet02: 9:31pm On Jun 18, 2010
Stop fooling Nigerians the north have nothing to offer this country. They are dummies
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 9:42pm On Jun 18, 2010
naijaking1:

Which democracy? The Balewa democracy? Shagari? Or Shonekan?
Zoning is about an attempt at fairness, you just can't dismiss the issue with some quasi-technicality. The zoning issue at stake is about PDP, I would agree, but you can see from the list that even non-member of PDP have joined in the chorus, because your-so-called northern interest trumps every other consideration in Nigeria.
Let us not pretend now that this is new to us. Jonathan knew of and accepted this when he joined the party. I don't see why we should now BLAME the PDP North for trying to protect its own interest in all this. I really don't understand why we now pretend the North has no right to protect its interest in this.

Regardless of who is coming on board, the fact is the zoning arrangement within the PDP is not new, was agreed to by most all party members when they signed on and should be adhered to. The North is just trying to make sure that it gets its own turn in this, as I would expect it should.
naijaking1:

I agree the issue is an internal PDP issue, and should not have been elevated to a national omnipotence. There has always been some form of zoning in Nigerian politics, right from the Balewa era, some form have more formal than others.
Our constitution remains law over any PDP scheme and so, I believe the PDP zoning should not be a problem for Nigerians at all. The ball is squarely in Jonathan's court on this.

naijaking1:

Now you're talking, "an effective electoral system to ensure a free and fair election" I have not said anywhere that I like Jonathan personally, but for any group to gang up, and demand that the presidency belongs to them is not going to work. Jonathan is going to continue along the line of Yar'dua, hopefully with good modifications, but for the SS and SE to demand a fair election system while the whole north demand the presidency on a platter of northern interest gold is sort of silly, don't you think?

But is the PDP North really demanding the presidency on a platter or are they simply demanding the PDP selects a Northern candidate to contest in the next elections? Is it possible you are confusing the latter with the former? I have yet to read anywhere where "THE NORTH/ PDP North " has stated they, BY NIGERIAN LAW, ought to rule Nigeria.  

naijaking1:

Jonathan is not abandoning zoning, there is no denial that both Yar'dua, Jonathan, Mark, and Bankole came into office based on zoning. I am of the view that Jonathan be allowed to complete Yar'dua's expected term based on his merit. He shouldn't be denied a full term because he's from the SS. All those gunning for his head have not given him any chance, all they know is that the seat he's occupying belongs to them.

But, you state above that he, Jonathan,  is not abandoning zoning. So, how exactly is he supposed to get a full-term if that is the case? Going by the zoning agreement, he SHOULD be denied a full term because he is not from the right region. Yar adua's expected term? What do you mean? The man is dead and the people know of this. I am not certain why you now want the PDP North to pretend for another 4 years that Yar adua is not dead. I don't get it! lol

And what has merit to do with this? Yar adua never really MERITED the role of President; Jonathan never MERITED the role of VP. So what has merit to suddenly do with this?
naijaking1:

Among the group, IBB is the only one that has publicly thrown his hat into the presidential ring. It's easy to see how he would weep up sentiments and protest denial of zoning formula that promised unlimited northern domination of the presidency, but why should we, ordinary Nigerians fall for his Maradonna tactics again, and again, and again

As much as I loathe that man, he does have an upper hand here over Jonathan since he is from the right region and running for the PDP ticket which is zoned.

naijaking1:

Why doesn't IBB challenge Jonathan based on his record of accomplishements or lack thereof? Why gather old northern politicians together and cry "denial of northern interest"
That is simple!! Because he can.

I am not really a Jonathan fan myself as I have yet to see him capable of handling the job. I am still waiting for him to convince me, and hopefully millions of Nigerians out there that he is the right man for the job. I would rather we throw our weight behind someone who is worthy of the portion, and hopefully non-PDP. However, if what people are expecting to happen is for Jonathan to win as PDP champion, I have serious doubts about that happening.

If, and I mean If, Jonathan really is the man some are willing to believe he is, he will do all he can in this short time to level the playing field so candidates from other parties can have an equal go at that seat. Only then will I consider him worthy of this, and maybe another shot.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by naijaking1: 9:51pm On Jun 18, 2010
Just another version of the same story, this one is more analytical.
I don't understand why some people shout one Nigeria whenever it suits them best, and then "northern interest" only when it suits them at another time.
Is the rest of Nigeria enslaved by these 19 northern states?

[size=18pt]2011: Northern Leaders Plot Against Jonathan[/size]•Partisan Politicians Qualified To Lead INEC – President

By Adetutu Folasade-Koyi and Obiora Ifoh, Abuja

Northern political leaders converged on Abuja on Thursday night to sketch a modus operandi for the Presidential vote next year, with an agenda to insist on the zoning in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and scuttle what may be President Goodluck Jonathan’s quest for the Villa.

Young Northern turks and former heavy weight political office holders were invited to the meeting at the Shehu Musa Yar’Adua International Conference Centre.

The attendees included former military President Ibrahim Babangida, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, former Finance Minister Adamu Ciroma and former Inspector General of Police, Mohammed D. Yusuf

The meeting was a follow-up to the first one by the Northern G15, it was learnt.

A source said invitation to the gathering was extended to National Assembly (NASS) members, and “five people have been picked from each of the 19 Northern states as representatives.”

He added that this is “one of several meetings lined up in the run up to the 2011 Presidential election.

“Nobody envisaged the death of President Umaru Yar’Adua but it has happened and we are not happy with what is now happening concerning the zoning arrangement agreed upon in 1998.

“Were it not for zoning, how was it possible for Yar’Adua to clinch the PDP ticket? We are saying that there is zoning, and so, the North will not chicken out of the race. We are coming together.”

The source, who attended the meeting, noted that although it was meant to consolidate the gains of the G15 meeting, concessions may be drawn from the leaders.

“This is an inaugural meeting of political leaders in the North and the focal point is to tell our leaders that we should not allow anything to divide us this time around.

“We know that some of those invited for the meeting have Presidential ambitions but they may be asked to drop their ambitions for the sake of the region.”

Another agenda on the cards is to “convince our leaders on the need for a consensus candidate for the 2011 polls.”

Former PDP National Chairman, Vincent Ogbulafor, argued while in office that the party would respect the zoning arrangement and allow the Presidential slot remain in the North.

But the claim has been hotly contested by the South which wants the zoning jettisoned for good reason.

Part of their argument is that the arrangement is not constitutional.

Besides, the North has ruled Nigeria for 37 of the 50 years of its independence; the South has done so for only 13 years – and sticking to a so-called zoning, an internal arrangement in the PDP, would only widen the gap.

Former PDP National Chairman, Barnabas Gemade, also punctured the agitation of the North on May 27 when he said the zoning arrangement in 1999 and 2007 was a matter of necessity that can now be made flexible.

“At any given time, man is flexible, and he does things based on the exigencies of time, and the necessity of time. And it is not only human beings that can zone, God can also zone, and I believe that we are beginning to see a lot of divine zoning,” he stressed.

“Therefore, nobody should clubber anyone down based on his own interests of pursuing his fundamental human rights.

"I believe that no one should stop an incumbent President, or an incumbent office holder, in any respect from exercising their fundamental human rights to contest an election.

“Nigerians are very understanding when it comes to issues of politics and, therefore, there is no reason why Jonathan cannot get support from all parts of Nigeria if he decides to contest.”

Gemade explained that the PDP had zoned the Presidency particularly to the South West to compensate for the Presidential election won on June 12, 1993 but annulled by Babangida, a Northerner.

It was for it to “be seen that Nigeria will pay its dues where people feel aggrieved,” he said.

He described as “divine zoning” the development which threw Jonathan up as President – and urged him to go the whole hog and run for Aso Rock in 2011.

Meanwhile, on Thursday, Jonathan fleshed out another argument by saying that there is nothing in the Constitution that prevents a politician from being Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Chairman.

He said criticism over his nomination of Attahiru Jega as INEC Chairman is uncalled for as he reserves the right to fire the unqualified members of the INEC board and pick those qualified.

Jonathan told the PDP National Executive Council (NEC) meeting in Abuja that his action since assumption of office has been guided by his love for the country, giving himself a pass mark for “a marvelous achievement.”

He added: “I did mention to members of the National Council of State the day I presented (the list of new INEC board members) that from that day till when the list will be screened if I hear any complaint about a particular person we are going to withdraw that person.

“Immediately the Senate screens the list, I will no longer have powers to withdraw except there are major challenges.

“If we follow media publications you will notice that they come with clear evidence of some people that are clear members of political parties. The Constitution does not say that if you are a member of a political party, you should not be in the INEC.

“You can be a member of a political party, we can decide to make the INEC acting Chairman the Chairman if we chose to do so, if we believe that he can conduct elections free and fair.

“I am not saying that he is going to rig election for PDP. In fact, the law emphasises that to be in the INEC you must qualify to contest election in the House of Representatives.

“For you to contest election into the House of Representatives, you must be a member of a political party. So, if you follow the law to the letter you can appoint people in political parties to be in the INEC.

“Active members of a political party will feel, wrongly or rightly, that we will be biased if today I make the acting Chairman as the INEC Chairman. They will say the PDP has taken over the place, but for that reason I promise Nigerians and the whole world that come 2011 we are going to conduct free and fair elections.

“For that reason, anybody that will be in the INEC should be somebody who is above board, people should have confidence in him, because perception is one thing and reality is another.

“If they perceive that he will do the wrong thing even if he does the right thing, and somebody fails election, they will believe that he was manipulated out. And for that reason those people that have been linked to have played key roles in political parties, I am withdrawing them.”

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by seanet02: 9:52pm On Jun 18, 2010
@kobojunkie what sort of posting are you making here my cattle rearer, the north has failed us several times. So carry your ignorance to another place.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by sjeezy8: 10:02pm On Jun 18, 2010
Who fukin cares- like really Jonatahan isnt the best candidate out there and he is a dunce to the highest level. He is/was corrupt and is no different than the northerners who are against him- except the fact he is from the south.

There are southerners who have better records than him- Duke, Fashola, Ameachi

There are northerners who are even more (well recieved in Nigeria and around the world )than him- Ribadu, El rufai

At this point I DONT CARE WHO BECOMES PRESIDENT - northerner or southerner christian or muslim

Its a democracy mudafukas are going to have to realize that nothing in a democracy is fair- Federalism and thats it.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by naijaking1: 10:13pm On Jun 18, 2010
sjeezy8:

Who fukin cares- like really Jonatahan isnt the best candidate out there and he is a dunce to the highest level. He is/was corrupt and is no different than the northerners who are against him- except the fact he is from the south.

There are southerners who have better records than him- Duke, Fashola, Ameachi

There are northerners who are even more (well recieved in Nigeria and around the world )than him- Ribadu, El rufai

At this point I DONT CARE WHO BECOMES PRESIDENT - northerner or southerner christian or muslim

Its a democracy mudafukas are going to have to realize that nothing in a democracy is fair- Federalism and thats it.

I would have agreed with you 100%, but that's not the reason for the present campaign against Jonathan. Their interest, which you know is to protect "northern interest"---caputuring the big prize. Did you hear any of them say 'protect interest of Nigeria'? It's all about the north sad
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by sjeezy8: 10:24pm On Jun 18, 2010
naijaking1:

I would have agreed with you 100%, but that's not the reason for the present campaign against Jonathan. Their interest, which you know is to protect "northern interest"---caputuring the big prize. Did you hear any of them say 'protect interest of Nigeria'? It's all about the north sad

lol north has no interest look at all the states in north- So when they say Northern interest they are just using to cover their own selfish elitist interest.

All nigerians by now should know how the story goes - when politicians degenerate to region, tribe, ethnicity or religion - those politicians arent being serious.

Southerners should govern their states better and keep on federalism- the presidency nothing.
The northern elites are only putting their regions at an dissadvantage.

A northerner can be president time and time again aslong as there is federalism and regional governements- southerners are fine.

If jonathan wins great but if he doesnt no big deal southerner should still govern their states well. Prsidency is nothing but title- regional governments benefit the south more.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 10:26pm On Jun 18, 2010
naijaking1:

If you are going to indict the PDP NORTH for that, at least be fair enough to state the truth which is that Jonathan signed up for it and would do same if it came the South South's turn at this zoning thing. Why make it seem as if ONLY THE PDP North would not do the same if the PDP North tried to deny them of their turn at this?

I don't see/know why you are TAKING SIDES in this when the same PDP South would readily do the same if the tables were turned. All this is obviously sensationalism and nothing more on the side of the journalist. We ought to be wise at this point to realize that there is no way we can play this game and win since it is rigged against us.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Dede1(m): 10:29pm On Jun 18, 2010
The written or unwritten gentlemanly agreement of PDP on zoning of the presidency, which ironically produced Goodluck Jonathan, must be observed. If the Goodluck Jonathan does not feel comfortable with such political arrangement of zoning, why did he not kick against the modality that selected him as the Vice President? Or better still, Jonathan could join another political party without such presidential zoning agenda

Anybody who called on the Ndigbo to engage in any form of fight, even a moonlight wrestling match, because of presidency must be retarded junkie.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by sjeezy8: 10:32pm On Jun 18, 2010
Whether 2011 or not Zoning is over in the PDP even if anortherner becomes president in 2011.

They will dump because it doesn benefit them.

Nigeria should go back to regional governements I now see its better.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Eziachi: 10:37pm On Jun 18, 2010
You really have to laugh over Nigeria as a basket case. Both sides that wants zoning and those that doesn’t are just bunch of insincere pitied humans. Look at Jonathan pushing out one rogue Igbo man, Ogbulafor because he will truncate his ambition by insisting on zoning and then replace him with another  that is agreeable to his plans in Nwodo, based on the same evil zoning system himself and his supporters now hated.

And the northern rogues ganging up on Jonathan by insisting on their divine zoning system will often and conveniently forget the same zoning in their own states or senatorial districts that they occupied. If their wishesare to be granted, will they zone that presidency to Benue, Plateau, Borno area or just for the katsina moslem mafias? Is northern Christians part of the zoning or just for moslems? Hypocrites!!

Can you just imagine Iyorche Ayu attending such a meeting but cannot explain to us why the same wonderful zoning system does not apply in his own state of Benue between the Tivs and the Idomas? When was the last time governorship of his Benue State was zoned to Idoma?

When will Nigeria and their blind leaders wised up and face fact and go their separate ways, so that those meeting in the dead of the night solely on how to grabs hold on to power without any new ideas can rule their enclaves to time indefinite without having to worry about zoning any longer?

With every single melancholic days of Nigeria that passes, we Biafrans will continue to remind you that we told you so.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by nedu2000(m): 10:41pm On Jun 18, 2010
pls i'm a southerner o!!but lets relax and think this over,in a multi-party system with an election devoid of fraud,what part of the country do you think would regularly produce the presidency?In the 2007 elections,who were the top 3 finishes and what part of the country did they come from?yes,the election was filled with fraud but really if it was devoid of such fraud who do you think would have won the election?you may ask, didn't a southerner MKO Abiola win an election against a northerner in 1993,and my reply would be, MKO won that election because it was a 2-party system e.g. an Igbo man or an Ijaw man (being between the devil and the deep blue sea)would say- "well,I might as well vote for the yoruba man at least he is a southerner like us"but would that be the case if that Igbo man or that Ijaw man had his own tribesman running for president?             MY POINT IS SIMPLE AND I IMPLORE YOU GUYS TO REASON IT OUT THAT IN A MULTI-PARTY SYSTEM, NORTHERNERS WILL CONTINUE TO WIN ELECTIONS IN NIGERIA EVEN IF ITS FREE AND FAIR,we ask for non-zoning just because a southerner is president by "chance" with the belief that as an incumbent he stands a chance  to win in a well-expected to be flurred election come 2011, zoning is the best for us 'for now' until we change our ways and place our votes based on character,party manifestos et al and not  on tribal connections and religious beliefs
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by DisGuy: 10:41pm On Jun 18, 2010
AND THE SOUTHERN EXCUSES BEGINS O OR COULD IT BE PARANOIA

I CAN JUST SEE UCHE, NNAMDI SALAMI,GBADEBO IN IBB's AND ATIK's PALATIAL MANSION STOCKING UP ON CAMPAIGN FUNDS FOR THESE mallams YET

southern newspaper will for some unknown reason give these so called northerners a big mighty feel even they themselves start walking on water!!

the HEAD of PDP for the past 8 years or some have been a southerner yet no one mentioned his name or called him for dining with the 'enemy'
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by SapeleGuy: 10:42pm On Jun 18, 2010
Dede1:

The written or unwritten gentlemanly agreement of PDP on zoning of the presidency, which ironically produced Goodluck Jonathan, must be observed. If the Goodluck Jonathan does not feel comfortable with such political arrangement of zoning, why did he not kick against the modality that selected him as the Vice President? Or better still, Jonathan could join another political party without such presidential zoning agenda

Anybody who called on the Ndigbo to engage in any form of fight, even a moonlight wrestling, because of presidency must be retarded junkie.

Spot on. Agreement nah agreement.

This does not mean that the country must support Peoples Demonic Party. To deny zoning at this point, after benefitting from it is simply ridiculous.

Furthermore, I also agree with your assessment of Ezeuche.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by DisGuy: 10:47pm On Jun 18, 2010
Why are the Southerners always looking up to the Northerners for Directions anyway

If the PDP has cheated you severally why not just leave it and form a party at least that way the split up will be faster

the lure of Gucci must Go seems too much to ignore
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by sjeezy8: 10:52pm On Jun 18, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Spot on. Agreement nah agreement.

This does not mean that the country must support Peoples Demonic Party. To deny zoning at this point, after benefitting from it is simply ridiculous.

Furthermore, I also agree with your assessment of Ezeuche.

lol

@ post Northerners are nothing without the South- its just that Most southern political Elite have no sense of reasoning.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Beaf: 11:02pm On Jun 18, 2010
If no one is willing to sit up in the South, the South South should buy bigger guns, acquire foreign allies and foreign bases from which they can operate. . .
Power must never go to the core North again.
Goodnight Nigeria.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by naijaking1: 11:43pm On Jun 18, 2010
Let's recap the principles as I understand it: Jonathan must not run in 2010, because the interest of the north will be adversly affacted?
Not because he's not qualified, not because he didn't perform well in office, or for any other reason, just because he's a southerner.
That's wrong, and based on the wrong principles.
If we don't fight on principles, we allow repeat June 12ths, we allow months of power interruption gleefully, we are robbed at every police check point in the name of security, we simply allow our very essensce to be sold or taken away.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 11:49pm On Jun 18, 2010
naijaking1:

Let's recap the principles as I understand it: Jonathan must not run in 2010, because the interest of the north will be adversly affacted?
Not because he's not qualified, not because he didn't perform well in office, or for any other reason, just because he's a southerner.
NEWSFLASH : that is what ZONING deal implies. Jonathan UNDERSTOOD this well before he signed up. In fact he benefited from it.
Please take ZONING 101 classes if possible to understand why what you are trying to do here is UNFAIR.

naijaking1:

That's wrong, and based on the wrong principles.
If we don't fight on principles, we allow repeat June 12ths, we allow months of power interruption gleefully, we are robbed at every police check point in the name of security, we simply allow our very essensce to be sold or taken away.
PDP Principles have NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH to do with Nigerian principles of June 12th. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with all that!
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by naijaking1: 12:20am On Jun 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

NEWSFLASH : that is what ZONING deal implies. Jonathan UNDERSTOOD this well before he signed up. In fact he benefited from it.
Please take ZONING 101 classes if possible to understand why what you are trying to do here is UNFAIR.
PDP Principles have NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH to do with Nigerian principles of June 12th. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with all that!

I don't know why you've insisted on making PDP the culprit in this case. I told you that even non-PDP members like Yusuf joined in this sectional gathering. Everybody knows that any PDP candidate has the best chance of victory, so they have confused northern cause for a northern PDP cause.
Are you going to speak about fairness? Go ask people like IBB and other people in the north about fairness.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 12:33am On Jun 19, 2010
naijaking1:

I don't know why you've insisted on making PDP the culprit in this case. I told you that even non-PDP members like Yusuf joined in this sectional gathering. Everybody knows that any PDP candidate has the best chance of victory, so they have confused northern cause for a northern PDP cause.
I am sorry, but you are not being honest in this.

ZONING is not CONSTITUTIONAL but PDP-ONLY applicable. So, that is the reason why I keep bringing up PDP over and over so you get it. That non-PDP members show up for this gathering DOES NOT change the fact that THIS IS PDP, and NOT Nigeria. I am certain Yusuf is FREE to go anywhere he chooses and if invited to a PDP gathering, there is nothing in the constitution that bars him from doing so.

naijaking1:

Are you going to speak about fairness? Go ask people like IBB and other people in the north about fairness.
I can't ask IBB anything because I am not a PDP member. Jonathan is and understand what Zoning is all about from the start. He signed up for it anyways . .  heck, all Southern PDP members knew of the consequences of Zoning, but chose to sign up anyways. I am not even sure what your argument here is?

Is Jonathan a victim? ABSOLUTELY NOT

Would the PDP South also demand that the Zoning rules be respected when it comes their turn?  I am almost 100% they are likely to do so
So, NO ONE who belongs to the party can directly claim to be VICTIMIZED by this system which they willingly went in for.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chairman Gwaram Local Government Speaks “i Was Not Involved In The Case / Us Army Prepares For Nigeria’s Possible Break-up (2015) / BREAKING NEWS: Adams Oshiomole Escapes Death as 3 dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.