Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,144 members, 7,780,076 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:21 AM

13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria (19417 Views)

Many Dental Procedures Lack Scientific Backing, Data Review Finds / Doctors Develop Procedures That Could Delay Menopause For 20 Years / 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by Clinicaid(m): 1:34pm On Aug 02, 2018
Before I talk about the most common dental procedures in Nigeria, let’s talk about why people visit a dentist. People have different reasons for visiting a dentist. Most times, especially in Nigeria, pain from toothache drives them to the dental clinic.

Poor dental education is the reason why most people only visit the dentist when they are in pain.

Anxiety, lengthy period on dental chair, specious information passed around from ignorant citizens and previous unpleasant experience on a dental chair are some of the reasons militating against visits to the dental clinic.

However, advent of Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) has improved visits to the dentist lately, this can be arguably due to people’s resolve to utilize their monthly or yearly contribution, as the case may be, to these HMOs.

There are lots of dental procedures that anyone that goes to the dentist can experience. Here are the most common dental procedures in Nigeria.

1. Extractions

This is the removal of teeth from the alveolar bone under local anaesthesia (LA). Extractions can be simple or surgical.

For a simple extraction, after it is confirmed that the LA is working (the patient feels numbness around the tooth to be extracted), an elevator is used to luxate the tooth after which an extraction forceps is used to pull the tooth out.

The procedure is a bit more advanced when it comes to surgical extractions as the tooth area has to be incised and the tooth drilled out with motor- driven burs, once the tooth is removed, the incision is then sutured with the right sutures.

2. Fillings

Fillings are restorative dental treatments to repair minimal to moderate tooth fractures, tooth decay and damaged surfaces of teeth.

Fillings are conservative procedures. They are utilized to prevent further damage to teeth.

Different materials for fillings are used depending on the location of the tooth, extent of tooth decay or damage and preference of the patient or the dentist.

Examples of filling materials are but not limited to composite, glass ionomer cement(GIC), MTA, Zinc Oxide Eugenol cement, Zinc Phosphate cement etc.

3. Root canal treatment (RCT)

RCT, as commonly used by dentists, is a procedure used to salvage teeth that otherwise would have to be extracted.

It involves the total removal of the pulp tissue which supplies the tooth with blood and nerves. This procedure involves 2 to 3 visits to the dentist after which it is always advised to crown (put a cap on) the tooth.

4. Crowning

This can be done both in the clinic and the dental lab. A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap placed over a tooth to restore its shape, strength, and improve its appearance.

Crowns are cemented after the tooth is prepared, and they fully encase the visible or coronal part of the tooth (the portion above the gum line). There are different types of crowns namely Porcelain- Fused with metal crown (PFMC), Metal crown, Zirconia crown, Gold crown etc.

5. Denture

A denture is a removable replacement for missing teeth. Dentures can be partial or complete depending on number of missing teeth.

An impression is usually taken in the the clinic, cast with dental stone to make a model then sent to the dental lab for the fabrication of the denture. When the removable denture returns from the lab, the dentist then fits it in the patient’s mouth.

6. Gum surgery

Infection to the gum may lead to surgery to the gum. Gum surgery due to gingival recession is as a result of the use of a hard brush and over zealous tooth brushing. This involves raising of flaps or gum grafts under local anesthesia.

7. Braces

Braces are orthodontic appliances that are fixed on the surfaces of teeth to align and straighten them. They help to position teeth with regard to the patient’s bite thereby improving aesthetics and facial appearance of the patient.

Braces corrects a lot of dental anomalies by a constant force which over time move teeth into the desired position. There are different types of Braces with relative cost.

8. Groove sealant

This procedure involves the application of a thin, plastic restorative material on the occlusal (chewing ) surfaces of the teeth. Sealants are usually applied on deep grooves on molars and premolars to reduce food stagnation thereby preventing tooth decay.

This procedure is mostly done for children. It is a treatment that gives children a good impression of a visit to a dentist because it is painless.

9. Scaling and polishing

This is becoming the treatment most enlightened individuals visit a dental clinic for.

It involves the use of dental instruments or an ultrasonic machine to remove plaque, calculus, and stains attached to the surfaces of teeth, then polished using prophylactic paste which contains higher fluoride level than toothpastes.

Patients are advised to do S&P, as fondly called, at least once a year.

10. Bridges

Bridges are used to replace missing teeth. They are cemented permanently. They are a better option compared to a removable denture.

They use the support of the two adjacent teeth of the space created by the missing tooth or teeth. The dentist prepares the adjacent teeth to accept a cap which will hold and act as the support for the replacement.

There are different types of bridges which are employed by the dentist according the location of the missing teeth or space created.

11. Implants

These are used to replace missing teeth too. The advantage of implant over bridge is that an implant only utilizes the space as the adjacent teeth are not disturbed.

The treatment involves an implant being sunk and surgically positioned into the bone which acts as the root. And an appropriate crown fabricated and cemented on the implant.

12. Teeth whitening

This procedure also is gaining ground as more and more people become conscious of their looks. Thanks to advertisement people watch on the TV showing sparkling white teeth.

It involves the use of chemicals or solutions to improve the shade of teeth colour.

There are two types. In-office teeth whitening which is done by the dentist using some equipment including teeth whitening machine in the clinic and take-home kit which is used by patient at home. In-office teeth whitening gives an instant result while the take-home kit takes some time before result is seen.

13. Veneers

People go to the dentist to get veneers for chipped, decayed and stained teeth. Veneers are strong thin pieces or facings of ceramic or resin material that are bonded to teeth. They restore aesthetics and also help to close gaps between teeth.

Source: https://clinicaid.com.ng/common-dental-procedures-nigeria/

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by LuciferChristi: 1:40pm On Aug 02, 2018
I need all 13 of them

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:37pm On Aug 02, 2018
Good thread.
We learn everyday.
Just learnt something new.

8 Likes

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by BruncleZuma: 3:38pm On Aug 02, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by ictjobber: 3:38pm On Aug 02, 2018
Great post

see my signature

2 Likes

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by Jubilancy(f): 3:39pm On Aug 02, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by Sektor101(m): 3:39pm On Aug 02, 2018
Helpful

1 Like

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by MartinCorridon: 3:39pm On Aug 02, 2018
I once removed 2 compacted molars (not due to lack of dental hygiene) at 97k

Ladies & Gents take care of your teeth

3 Likes

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by psychologist(m): 3:40pm On Aug 02, 2018
Dude needs them all

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 02, 2018
MESSAGE OF HOPE: This is the first time the common masses have their own Presidential Candidate.

IF THEY DON’T KNOW, WE KNOW.

Nigeria has 60 Million voting capacity but only 11 Million use to participate in an election. So if they like let all 109 Senators and 360 Reps including some Governors decamp to any political party of their choice.

Muhammadu Buhari as a person is more powerful than their party and we, the masses voted them because of Buhari. Our duty is to mobilize and canvass more good people to get their PVC.

As we can see now, looters are back to their base, more are still going, its not yet over.

2019 general election is between the Masses and gang of Looters.

........ if you’re with us, then Say it loudly #iStandWithBuhari2019

WE STAND WITH A MAN OF HONOR CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by scovic33: 3:40pm On Aug 02, 2018
You are right
Most especially scaling and polishing...

1 Like

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by Judolisco(m): 3:41pm On Aug 02, 2018
D day wey I go comut my tooth I saw my the mother of my ancestors
I wan die

2 Likes

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by Seconsol92(m): 3:41pm On Aug 02, 2018
Ok
Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by mytime24(f): 3:42pm On Aug 02, 2018
J for ..... lipsrsealed
Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by mrfm1: 3:42pm On Aug 02, 2018
LuciferChristi:
I need all 13 of them
You need am
Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by TemmyWon(f): 3:46pm On Aug 02, 2018
MartinCorridon:
I once removed 2 compacted molars (not due to lack of dental hygiene) at 97k

Ladies & Gents take care of your teeth
Uhnnn! Bros please last last each extraction is 10k dentures would be like 15k for both. Ahaa shocked shocked
Judolisco:
I wan die
Should you lie? Maybe a carpenter did it for you

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by OmoDavido(m): 3:46pm On Aug 02, 2018
Removed one then at 4K

2 Likes

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by martowskin1(m): 3:52pm On Aug 02, 2018
DonDemu:
MESSAGE OF HOPE: This is the first time the common masses have their own Presidential Candidate.

IF THEY DON’T KNOW, WE KNOW.

Nigeria has 60 Million voting capacity but only 11 Million use to participate in an election. So if they like let all 109 Senators and 360 Reps including some Governors decamp to any political party of their choice.

Muhammadu Buhari as a person is more powerful than their party and we, the masses voted them because of Buhari. Our duty is to mobilize and canvass more good people to get their PVC.

As we can see now, looters are back to their base, more are still going, its not yet over.

2019 general election is between the Masses and gang of Looters.

........ if you’re with us, then Say it loudly #iStandWithBuhari2019

WE STAND WITH A MAN OF HONOR CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY.

Another mumu campaigning for his grandfather rather than campaigning for him self to take lead.... Ode at its peak

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by AndriaRich(m): 3:54pm On Aug 02, 2018
Toothache one of the most excruciating pains i went through as a child...
Had to remove 4 of my teeth due to cavities at a very young age.... grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by dbynonetwork: 4:00pm On Aug 02, 2018
I will never forget the most horrific day of my life, it happened two months ago... I had severe tooth pain so I decided to see a dentist because I couldn't endure the pain. After the dentist (a young man) examined my tooth( upper pre-molar) without any medical equipment, he suggested I should choose between tooth refilling or extraction. I settled for tooth extraction. Immediately he started the extraction process. He injected the first anaesthetia to numb my gum, my gum felt normal (note: each anaesthetic dosage is injected twice or more on both sides of the gum close to the aching tooth). Then came the second dosage, my gum felt the same not numb yet... He tried pulling my tooth and I screamed so hard, he stopped. He injected the third dosage, repeated the same process of pulling my tooth that still did not work.. At this point he used a sharp hook like object to prick my jaw hardly to know if I felt pain.. Since the third dose did not work he injected the fourth dose then tried pulling my tooth .He did the same until the fifth dose.. At this point I shouted, though my voice was no more audible because my jaws and chin were swollen blood over.. I told him that he is trying to use force to detach my tooth from my skull. The dentist became confused, not knowing what to do he had to call a senior colleague.. I was given the 6th, 7th and 8th dosage with tooth pulling after each dosage... Finally I was told to come back after two days. I discontinued the tooth extraction, and yet no refund of the money I paid..

There are many quack medical practitioners everywhere we just need to be careful...

6 Likes

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by Thayorla101: 4:06pm On Aug 02, 2018
Please how much does it cost to implant a front tooth in Nigeria
Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by Thayorla101: 4:07pm On Aug 02, 2018
Thayorla101:
Please how much can I get a tooth implant needed to fix up my front tooth
Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by Darkseid(m): 4:11pm On Aug 02, 2018
I cracked one of my front teeth while playing about thirteen years ago. Since then I've always thought about going to the dentist to fill it up but I've gotten so used to the feeling that I don't know how I'll live without the crack.

2 Likes

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by pweshboi(m): 4:17pm On Aug 02, 2018
Nice
Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by Deo1986(m): 4:17pm On Aug 02, 2018
Thayorla101:
Please how much does it cost to implant a front tooth in Nigeria
depends on the materials, the cheapest is around 65k in a public hospital.

1 Like

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by MartinCorridon: 4:29pm On Aug 02, 2018
TemmyWon:

Uhnnn! Bros please last last each extraction is 10k dentures would be like 15k for both. Ahaa shocked shocked

Should you lie? Maybe a carpenter did it for you

grin grin grin grin grin grin

15k was just for consultation, where will you do 2 teeth for 15k? A surgical procedure where the jaw is broken to reach in? grin grin grin

Maybe you did it in 1980.

I did it in ilorin, Kwara State, 1 single one in 2013 for 45k, 2 in 2017 for 97k (after the Dollar crisis and rise in cost of materials)

One would be very stupid to go to a cheap establishment when your facial nerve is in danger of being damaged.

It would be far more expensive in places like Lagos and Abuja.

Stick to what you know and stop saying nonsense. Dentistry is very expensive

6 Likes

Re: 13 Most Common Dental Procedures In Nigeria by FreeConCiencE: 4:29pm On Aug 02, 2018
Judolisco:
I wan die

Why patronizing quacks? Toot removal should be a painless procedure

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Brushing Before Or After Eating In The Morning. Which Is Best Practice? / What Are Your Allergies? / COVID-19: FG To Vaccinate Nigerians In Church On Sundays

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.