Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

Fopefolu Memorial High School - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Fopefolu Memorial High School (6530 Views)

My Life In Hilton High School- Episode 1-3 (e-book/story) / High School Love / Eva Nneka's Story: High School Crush To A Forced Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 6:31am On Aug 15, 2018
Episode 10

"Good Afternoon Akin." She greeted. "Is that not Twelfth Night?"

"Yes." I responded.

"I was told it's a very interesting novel." She said, approaching my sit.

"It really is."

"Would you lend me when you are done reading?" Ewatomi requested, flipping through the pages.

"I definitely will."

"Thanks so much." She concluded, and wanted to leave.

"Ewatomi, can you spare me some few minutes?"

"Why not?" She responded, and turned to face me.

"I love everything about you. The strands of your hair and the nails on your toes. I really do love you and need you to be my girlfriend, please."

"Akin, are you in school to study or love? Are your parents spending on you to waste time on distractions? Well, I'm in school to study and study good. I've got no time for this ridiculous talks about love now, there's time for everything." She talked back.

"I understand what you said. But... I promise I won't disturb your studies."

"Please, let this be the last time you will talk to me about love. I'm not ready for it yet and the next time you approach me with poems, I'll drag you to the authority." Ewatomi concluded and left.

The world around me seemed battered by her words. Her rejection was hurting, and left me between pains and despair. My whole self was filled with shame and disappointment.

"So, she doesn't love me. She only saved my face in the social night. Why did I ask her out in the first place? But, I love her. I love Ewatomi. Report me to the authority? Please don't."

"Senior Akin." Vikkie called and entered the classroom.

She met me a depressed dope and spoke.

"Are you so sad she didn't say yes?"

"She threatened to report me to the authority." I replied.

"She wouldn't. She only scared you off. But, why not love someone else? Someone who loves you." said Vikkie.

"I will never love anyone. Not anymore." I concluded, with teardrops.

"I'm so sorry." Vikkie muttered.

"Thanks. I may have to leave now."

Back in the hostel, I mounted my bunk and slept off. I woke up five minutes late for the drama rehearsal and I quickly put myself together and set out. At the exit, I met Jide who was about entering the hostel.

"Are you set?" I asked Jide.

"Yes, I was going to call you."

"We need walk fast, we are already late." I said, and we made for the auditorium.

Mr. Koffi Green, our Ghanaian instructor, was already in front when we entered the hall. I quickly sat beside Vikkie at the back, while Jide sat close to Vincent at a distance.

"Chief-who-is-chief." Vikkie teased, while I made myself comfortable.

"Who is Chief-who-is-chief?" I asked, knowing he must be a character in the drama we were about to practice.

"You." She responded, all smiles.

"Akin and Jide, why are you this late?" Mr. Koffi Green asked.

"I'm sorry sir, my wrist watch was a bit late." Jide answered.

"And you, Akin?"

"I'm really so sorry sir. I slept off."

"Should this repeat itself in the next rehearsal, you will not escape the punishment. Is that clear?"

"Yes sir." Jide and I chorused.

"I have told your colleagues The Schools Festival comes up in two weeks' time. It is unfortunate that the Principal informed me just yesterday. You all know what the schools festival is. It is a come-together of leading private secondary schools in Lagos, where students put their talents on display through different arts. It has always been a big event. This year, the Executive Governor of Lagos State would be on seat and, most importantly, our school has been selected to present the festival play. We have but just few days for rehearsals and we need put all our best into it. More challenging is the fact that we are to act a novel not many of you are familiar with. The novel, 'The marriage of Anansewa' was written by a Ghanaian writer, Efua T. Sutherland and it depicts the triumph of Love in all circumstances. I have put my best into the characterization. Don't be surprised should you see some few students who were not original members of our group among the characters. I have picked those whose physical and mental attributes are naturally close to the roles. Please listen to your names and roles: Adewale Adams is to act Ananse, while Ewatomi Coker acts Anansewa..."

"Ewatomi? She was never an actor." I thought, but Mr K. Green continued.

"Jide Badmus will act Chief Togbe Klu, Nifemi Charles will act Christie and Akinwunmi Peters goes by Chief-who-is-chief."

“The play centers on a wretched poor Father, Ananse and his daughter Anansewa; a pretty student of E.P. Secretariat School whose school fees could not be payed as a result of his Father's poverty. Ananse devices a means to pay her only daughter's fees, feed his family and eventually get out of penury. In his plan, he's to visit four rich chiefs with a promise to give each his daughter in marriage. When Anansewa finds out, her father convinces her such a move is necessary if she should return to school. Ananse also aroused her daughter's interest in one of the chiefs, Chief-who-is- chief, whom he described as 'handsome as anything.' The chief payed Anansewa's fees and she falls in love with him. Ananse takes money from all the chiefs and becomes comfortable, but, when the time arrives that the four Chiefs marry his daughter, he decides the daughter must die and so connives with Christie and Anansewa to announce the latter's death. The news got to the four chiefs and they all sent their condolences and gifts. They also revealed, since the bride was dead, that they never really loved her in the first place, but not Chief-who-is-chief who was touched and revealed how she loved Anansewa so much. Since the true lover had been made known, Ananse faked going into a trance and invoked Anansewa to resurrect. He says:

Ancestors, I'm pleading with you, if it is your desire as it is ours that Chief-who-is- chief should marry Anansewa, see to it that she returns to life! See to it that Anansewa awakes and returns to become a bride.

Then she awakes claiming to have heard the call of Chief-who-is-chief. The play ends on a very happy note- the triumph of Love.”

"Ewatomi again?" I couldn't help but utter in a low pitch, after the narration.

I would be playing a romantic role with Ewatomi. She also was in the hall seated in the front row, from where she listened. She wasn't satisfied, I guess, but was helpless. No one could question Mr. K. Green, his decisions were always final: but I didn't want to think about Ewatomi any longer. I wanted the feelings all gone.

"Is this fate? I would play the role of a lover to Ewatomi whose rejection of me brings about a deadly pain I'm yet to recover from?"

"Smile." Vikkie said, rubbing her left palm on the right lap of a lost me.

"How would I?" I replied, looking her in the face.

"We can no longer rehearse today as it is getting late. I have the scripts here and it will be given to the cast to study well before we meet by 4.00pm tomorrow. Be punctual or we fight." Mr. K. Green concluded and left the hall.

Jide was the next thing my confused eyes saw. He held my chin and exclaimed:

"Chief-who-is-chief, the spouse of Ewatomi. Sorry, Anansewa."

Everyone laughed as they dispersed, living my daughter and me behind in the darkening auditorium.

"It's time for dinner Akin" Vikkie talked.
"I don't just feel like eating nothing." I replied.

"You would at least move out of here." She said and ran her fingers up and down my sides.

I couldn't stop giggling hard. She then stopped, held my left hand and dragged me out of the darkening auditorium.

"See the Lover boy in class." She teased and made to leave for the refectory.

"Vikkie, the naught." I replied.

She turned and rolled her eyes, before running back to tickle me again, but I ran towards the boys hostel.

Vikkie actually altered my bad mood the way no one else could do.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by queenbetsy(f): 11:05am On Aug 15, 2018
Awwww.... That drama is gonna be "drama-in-drama" kiss

Ewatomi has no choice now tongue
Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by IAmkingoludav(m): 10:00pm On Aug 15, 2018
grin
Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 10:20am On Aug 16, 2018
Episode 11

It was a Monday morning, everyone in the hostel hurried to do the necessaries and got set for School. So many boys were in the bathroom at once, struggling for space. Harmattan was already taken its toll, and I wished I was still under a blanket.

"How I'm I supposed to pour this very cold thing on my body? No place like home." I mused, looking at my water-filled bucket.

Back home, Mum would have boiled water for Valentina and me to bath with. I laid my bed and made my junior roommates tidy up the room before heading towards the bathroom with a bucket of water and a pasted toothbrush in my mouth. The bathroom which could house twenty students at a time was a roofless but well plastered structure attached to the rear end of the boys hostel. It was hurriedly put in place when the original state-of-the-art bathroom could no longer be put to use due to water insufficiency.

In the refectory, a hot Tea, and bread was served; it was a perfect match for the frosting weather. We all ate, everyone in his/her blue sweater before heading for the morning devotion which lasted just few minutes. Like every other Monday, English was our first lesson and Mr. V. was at it in time.

"Good morning sir." Ewatomi greeted the comic but bizarrely brilliant English teacher.

"How are you?" Mr. V. Responded with a British assent that left the class laughing.
Ewatomi made for her sit, but the teacher cautioned.

"Stop there." He ordered, and the class laughed again.

"Why did you come late to my class?"

"The proprietress sent for me immediately after the devotion."

"Oh! I see. But the rule says: A late comer must answer a question before being allowed to sit down. Are you ready for that?"

Ewatomi replied "yes" with a bright smile. Then the teacher turned to the board and wrote: 'Akin is a goat.'

"What figure of speech is the above? And, what does it mean?"

"It is a metaphor, which means that Akin is troublesome or stubborn."

"A round of applause for her please?" Mr. V. requested, and the whole class thundered.

Ewatomi walked to her sit with a faint teasing smile she directed at my very eyes, but I quickly retrieved mine. I'd resolved never to catch her gaze again. I've just got to let her be.

Shortly after the English Teacher's exit, the memories of Sunday rehearsal stared me in the eyes: By 4.00pm in the evening, we all settled down in the auditorium as instructed the previous day. Mr. K. Green wore his usual non-smiling self and directed the play with palpable seriousness. Everybody co-operated and the rehearsal was a success. But, I was really dazed by Ewatomi's performance on stage. Chief-who-is-chief was supposed to wrap his hands around his bride with visible emotions after her unexpected resurrection by the gods. Anansewa too was supposed to reciprocate on the verge of tears. Ewatomi walked slowly up to me from her death bed, in a white bridal robe. Tears ran down her cheeks while I wrapped my arms around her waist. She in turn put his arms around my shoulder and nuzzled her face into my neck. We gently clutched a bit tighter for a few seconds, then I rubbed my hand on her back while she stroked my hair gently. The audience showered us with claps as we displayed the triumph of love over death.

It was indeed a drama by the right actors and the memories were quite too good to let go of, but, Mr. Adeoye, the maths teacher, found his way in.

"Good morning class." He greeted.

"Good morning sir." We greeted the tall, bald headed and dark skinned teacher back.

It was the start of a hell boring forty five minutes of Geometry.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by IAmkingoludav(m): 5:50am On Aug 17, 2018
Nice work but short

1 Like

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 6:22am On Aug 17, 2018
Episode 12

On the Eve of The Schools Festival, a twinge of excitement filled my whole body as I anticipated the event of the next day with robust imaginations. I couldn't wait to be in the City hall, in the midst of students from different quarters. Those to grace the occasion from my school were the senior students and some few brilliant chaps from junior classes. The school closed earlier than usual to give the attendees enough time to prepare, and in the dormitory, everyone was either ironing clothes or washing socks and sanders in preparation. In the night, the flashes of anticipation could not be suppressed as I laid on my bed rolling.

"How would it feel like to act in the public glare, entertaining the Governor and other big guests?"

It is yet surprising that I eventually slept despite the very warm feelings of excitement that sipped into my fragile mind. I imagined the frenzy of holding Ewatomi so close to myself, fully wrapped with emotions, under the flashes of camera and the coldness of stage lights. It was really a beautiful day ahead!

Waking up to the call of an alarm by 5:30 in the morning, my defenseless mind swarmed with chaotic exhilaration. The deal day had arrived. By 9am, the school bus moved and we clapped and sang as we journeyed towards the city hall, a historical architecture located in the Catholic mission street, Lagos Island.

"These young ones are the very future of this state. The treasures of our great nation whose future we must work hard to secure. I have never been a part of this beautiful event-The Schools Festival before now, and I must say a big thank you to those who extended this year's invitation to the state house. This is the best entertainment I've seen in recent years, every single activity was really entertaining. The student of St Louis danced so well. Most especially, I want to commend Fopefolu Memorial High School for an emotion triggering play. I must confess to being weepy as Anansewa woke up from the dead to embrace his dejected lover so warmly.
It looked so real and I'm proud of the young vibrant actor and actress. They showed us, perfectly, the joy in the triumph of love. My Government would continue to give necessary support to the private schools in Lagos State. Long live Lagos state, long live Nigeria. Thank you."

Those were the words of the Executive Governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Ahmed Tinubu at the close of The Schools Festival 2003.

My feelings for Ewatomi grew after the event. The sweet fragrance in her breathe and the softness of her skin left me with much to think about. She was a perfect girl, an angel.

The next Saturday, in the afternoon, I decided to pour out my feelings to Jide, hoping that he would be of help.

"Jide, I really need see you." I informed a profusely sweating Jide after a competitive session in the sports room. It had been minutes at the table tennis court between the two of us alone.

"Hope it's not to make fun of me?" He replied.

"Make fun of you for what?"

"For winning against me in the game."

"Oh! I've always trashed you. You are my boy remember?" I joked.

"I'll show you my true color the next time." He concluded.

"Let's wait and see."

I moved closer to him on his side of the table and got into detail:

"I really do love Ewatomi, but don't know what to do. I've tried to pour out to her but she seemed far away."

"So, you can talk to me about Ewatomi. I thought you were so sure of yourself that you thought it not fit to inform your, so called, best friend. Why not go tell your Vikkie, or can't she help?"

"But, I'm sorry. Are you still Jealous of Vikkie?"

"Anyway, now that you've come back home to your Dad, I'll surely help you get her."

"But, how?"

"Do you now accept that I'm your Dad when it comes to girls?"

"Jide, this is no time for Jokes."

"Have you accepted that I'm your Dad and boss?"

"Anyhow." I submitted.

"Good boy. Now, let's go get Ewatomi."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by queenbetsy(f): 2:02pm On Aug 17, 2018
Ride on boss... wink

I just hope these boys are not humiliated

1 Like

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by queenitee(f): 9:04pm On Aug 17, 2018
Hmm..

1 Like

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 6:07am On Aug 18, 2018
Episode 13

He made for the hostel singing, and I followed gently behind him brainstorming the Magic wand my friend would employ. In the Night class that Saturday, after two hours of unsuccessful study, I went to Jide's class to get the hang of his magic wand. I narrated my series of attempt at getting Ewatomi, and the resultant threat that finally kept me off and Jide advised that I write her a letter.

"A letter?" I asked.

"Yes, every girl will do just what she did at the start."

"What if she takes it to the authority?"

"Who does that? Ewatomi loves you Akin. It is boldly written all over her and the threat could just be a test. She wanted to test your courage." Jide lectured.

"A test?"

"Yes. Anyways, you are still a small boy and might not get the antiques of a girl as intelligent as Anansewa, your bride."

"Don't go there now."

"Just do what I said and you would thank me."

"Well. But, I'm afraid."

Back in my class, I met Vikkie seated on my chair, flipping the pages of my Chemistry text book. What took you so long? I thought you were out to ease yourself." She questioned.

"I was in Jide's class."

"Oh! Alright. Akin, you didn't even bother to write your name on any of your text books here. What if they get stolen?"

"I can see you've done that for me. That's one of the goodies of having a nice daughter."

"See your mouth like nice school daughter. Naughty School Father." She said and pinched me.

"Vikkie, Jide said I need write Ewatomi a letter."

"That seems nice actually." She responded.

"Don't you think she might end up taking it to the authority?"

"I trust she wouldn't do that."

"Are you so sure?"

"She really won't. But, do you even know how to write a love letter, or you need me put you through?" She teased.

"You've started again with this your rat teeth."

"I won't reveal what your own teeth looks like tonight. I'll free you just because of Senior Ewatomi."

"Naughty girl. You call every other classmate of mine senior, but not me."

"Don't even go there." She returned, all smiles.

Few minutes into our buzz, the bell rang and the prep was over.

On Sunday evening, at about 5:00pm, I sneaked the very first love Letter I'd written all my life into Ewatomi's locker and returned to the dormitory. The next day was a Monday, a very bright sunny day. The Principal who was present at the devotion in his well-known brown conductor stepped forward for his address.

"Good morning students." He greeted.

And we all responded "Good morning sir."

"It has come to my notice that some of you really do not know the reason you are in school. If I may ask, why are you in this school?"

The assembly was grave silent.

"I said, why are you in Fopefolu Memorial High School?" He roared before the head boy answered.

"To study."

"To study you said? It is really disappointing to learn that some of you are bent on wasting your parent’s hard earned resources. You channel your energy towards the wrong things. There's time for everything, the elders would say. But, you would not listen. When a boy wakes up early in life and places a girl in an important place in his heart, he'll never be important. The same thing goes for the girls. The last time, the sweepers brought nylons of used condoms found in one of the classes to me. Who used them? Some of you. You are busy destroying your lives while your parents work so hard..."

The principal paused, adjusted his spectacle and continued.

"You seem to need a scape goat to be wise and I’ve got you one. Please listen to the content of a letter written by one of you."

At the last sentence, my heart skipped. The principal brought out a letter and read:

To my dearest... I've never felt it this real. This is Love sweeping me off. I love the brightness of your skin, the darkness of your blonde, and the whiteness of your teeth. The fragrance in your breathe reminds of the beauty of the first garden. The very garden of love and life, where the warmth of passion was first felt. I've read Solomon's song so well. I read so many poems of love too, written by the old wise kings. All the writers did so well was to describe just you. So the language of love is one, so their description of beauty is real. They described, but I can see. I can see an angel, a perfect figure of a girl. I am this minute a victim. A victim of genuine feelings. A victim of your smile and intelligence, and I can't just let go. I can't stop thinking about you. I love you so well... that my life is a wretch without you. Sincerely...

I will not reveal the writer's identity, but, I can assure you he will regret ever attempting this nonsense. His parents will be invited and he sure will dance to the music as soon as the disciplinary committee decides on the measures. You may go into your classes." The Principal finished.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Yemike(m): 11:44am On Aug 18, 2018
I still don't believe the letter is Akin's.

1 Like

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by bakeuhappy: 2:15pm On Aug 18, 2018
Thanks for the mention. I appreciate.
Let me start reading..

1 Like

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 7:44pm On Aug 18, 2018
Yemike:
I still don't believe the letter is Akin's.
Yemike, lemme welcome u 2 my high school.
Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 18, 2018
I'm just speechless

1 Like

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Yemike(m): 8:10pm On Aug 18, 2018
Africlegend:

Yemike, lemme welcome u 2 my high school.
Thanks boss.

I've been secretly attending your extra moral classes.

Time to enrol fully into your high school.

Kudos vickie......helping someone you admire secretly in pursuit of a rival isn't easy. #jez_saying.
Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by OlufemiWhit(m): 8:39pm On Aug 18, 2018
Wonderful story...keep em updates coming

1 Like

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 10:06am On Aug 19, 2018
Episode 14

The next day-Tuesday, I woke up feeling so feverish. My head ached so badly, and the entire bonk knew no peace as I shivered. Few minutes later, one of the house masters stood beside my bonk feeling my temperature with the back of his palm.

"Your body feels so hot Akin. What is wrong with you?"

"My head aches and I'm chilly." I replied.

"Alright, I'll get the School nurse." He promised and left.

I remained in bed till around 8 o'clock in the morning when the fair, young female Nurse in her early twenties emerged and used a thermometer on me.

"Please get him some food and he'll take these drugs." She told the house masters present.

A plate of rice with egg was brought in, and I sat to eat, after which I swallowed two tablets each of Chloroquine and paracetamol.

"You will be fine Akin. Make sure you relax and take your drugs in the afternoon and night as prescribed." The Nurse said.

I felt a bit relieved in the afternoon, but, I soon was gripped by fear again. Remembering the words of the Principal, I imagined how my Dad would react to the news of his Son writing a love letter in school.

"He'll just kill me."

On the next day, the sickness grew worse and I was unable to take drugs as I had vomited every food I'd eaten. The house master called my Dad's office line and he promised to be in the school to take me home for proper treatment. The housemaster also assisted in packing my things and I was to await my Dad's arrival in the Principal's office.

The office was an air conditioned room, and the floor covered with a reddish brown rug. The principal sat on a well cushioned office chair and before him was a large executive desk on which different types of books were neatly arranged.

My Dad's arrival would be a tragedy, or so I thought, as it would be an opportunity for the Principal to burst the bubble.

"Akin. I'm so sure nothing is wrong with you. You are only suffering from the fruits of your own evil. Yours is a sickness of the mind. Why divert your energy towards the unprofitable at this age? Love should not be your problem now. Face your studies first and when the time comes, no one will tell you."

"I'm sorry sir."

"Well, I've forgiven you. I've also decided not to inform your Dad anymore." He continued, and sipped his fuming coffee. “But, promise me that nonsense will not repeat itself."

"It won't sir." I quickly replied, feeling like I'd just been acquitted of murder.

"Make sure you read your books at home as your second periodic test starts next week Wednesday."

"I will sir."

"Alright." The principal concluded.

"Sir, I'll like to get some of my books from the class before Daddy comes."

"That's alright." The principal replied.

In class, while I searched my locker, Vikkie bagged in, but was shocked to meet a teacher who asked what she was looking for.

"I'm sorry sir. I didn't know a teacher was in class. I want to see Akin... sorry, senior Akin."

"You may wait for him outside." The physics teacher returned.

Outside, I met Vikkie who was impatiently waiting.

"There's a teacher in our class Akin. I learnt you would be going home today for treatment and I felt I must see you."

"Yes Vikkie. But, I'll be back in few days."

"I'll miss you." She said with a tightened throat.

"I will too."

"Take care of yourself." She said, waved goodbye and ran back to her class.

But, before I could get to the Principal's office, Vikkie called again and ran to catch up with me.

"Akin, why not try someone who really loves you?" She said gasping.

"Not anymore Vikkie. I really don't want to have anything doing with love."

"Bye bye school Father." She finished, and left.

1 Like

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 9:15pm On Aug 19, 2018
Episode

Home was so boring as a result of Valentina's absence. She was the life of my parents' house, but was far away in Matter Christi Girls School.

My response to treatment was fine, and I had felt much better on Friday, the third day at home. My Mum and Dad had left for work, but Mum would return home at intervals to check on me. Around 10:am, I decided to read through my Chemistry note in preparation for the second periodic test which was to commence in five days' time. So, in my room, I fetched my school bag and searched the inside for the note. In the course of that, I came across a strange sheet of paper and I decided to unfold and check if it contained any valuable information. But, it turned out to be a note written with a not too familiar beautiful handwriting. It read:

Akinwunmi, I don't know how to say sorry to you. In the first place, I never expected that the Principal would read your letter in the public glare. All I needed him do was to stop you from pestering me any further. I love you Akin. I had loved you from the first day. The day you first set your feet on the soil of Fopefolu Memorial High School. The feelings came rushing through my veins and I needed no one to tell me it was Love. But, I was afraid. I was afraid of anything capable of drifting me away from academic excellence. I must let you know I'm the only surviving daughter of my Mum and all she ever requested of me is excellence in my studies. So, I never wanted to fall in love with nothing but my books. Still, it kept growing. Akin, your love kept growing in my heart. I thought the threat of reporting you to the authority would keep you off but you pressed on. I wanted the Principal to help me scare the feeling out of you, but he ended up doing something else. I'm really so sorry. Please get well fast and come to class. I really want to see your curly hair again. But, you'll need teach me how your love will not alter my academics. Please come and tell me how to Love you and still make my Mum happy. Come now Akin, come! I truly really do love you. Ewatomi.

Tears welled up in my eyes while I read, but I choked it off. I checked the name again, it was Ewatomi: how can this be true?

"I'll go back to school this evening." I said, hopping up and down the house.

It was too good a news and I couldn't rest till my parents returned from work. I had packed all my things-beverages, drugs and books; and on my Mum's return, I informed her of my plans.

"Mummy, I need go back to school this evening."

"This evening?" She pressed.

"Yes Mum. I'm Ok now and moreover, our second periodic test comes up next week, and I need update my notes and read."

"Well, you have a point there." She said, feeling my temperature with the back of her right palm placed on my forehead. "Your temperature seems normal now, but, I'll advice that you wait till Monday, health is wealth. Besides, you wouldn't take your drugs should you step out of this house."

"I will take care of myself Mum, please."

"Tell your Dad when he comes." She said and entered her room.

My Dad came back some minutes after 4pm. When he had changed to his casuals of a black baggie knicker and a blue polo shirt, he sat down relaxing in the sitting room. I quickly informed him of my plans.

"Dad, I'll go back to school this evening."

"Says who?" He responded with eyes fixed to the pages of Daily times.

"Their second periodic test comes up next week and he would like to update his notes and prepare." My mum spoke, coming out of her room.

"Well, this is the best I can do. I'll take you back to school on Sunday evening. You’ll do whatever you can between then and Wednesday."

"But Dad...” I wanted to protest.

"I've made myself clear." He interrupted.

Those two days were the longest in my life: a whopping 50hours before setting my eyes on my love.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by skubido(m): 9:44pm On Aug 19, 2018
I gat here finally,,
OP nice work.. Jah bless

1 Like

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 5:50am On Aug 20, 2018
Episode 16

On Sunday evening, My Dad drove through the streets of a not-too-busy Lagos to Fopefolu Memorial High School, but a few minutes to the school gate, the exhilaration was fast turning to anxiety, or a mixture of joy and fear: what will I say to Ewatomi?

My Dad drove past the girls hostel and stopped in front of the Masters quarters.

"Akin, are you fine now?" Said a smiling Mr. John. "Good evening sir." He greeted my Dad.

"Good evening Mr. John. Yes, he's fine now, in fact, he wanted to return on Friday, but I insisted he took some more days off, health comes first, you know?"

"You are right sir." the master returned, smiling and rubbing his palms until Dad handed him some naira notes.

"Thank you sir." The visibly excited Mr. John bent to appreciate, then put his hand around my neck.

"Let me drop him off at the dormitory. I'll then leave, before it gets late."

"Alright sir. See you Akin." The Master responded, and my Dad drove to the boy's hostel.

To some of my friends who came around on sighting My Dad's black V. Boot, he also handed some money.

When he had left, I dropped my things in the room and headed straight to the classroom. The whole place was empty and silent. I arranged my books back in the locker and went on the lookout for a girl I would send to the girls hostel: I just wanted to see Ewatomi.

"Princess, please come." I called a girl on her way to the girls hostel.

Princess was a pretty JSS2 daughter of the king of Shagamu.

"Senior Akin, you called me."

"Yes. Please tell Ewatomi that I need burrow her Chemistry note."

"Alright." She said, and left.

Back in class, Vikkie emerged.

"Akin!" She called, and walked to my seat wearing a frown.

"Did anyone hurt my daughter?" I asked.
"It’s just that I missed you so much." She replied.

"I'm sorry. I really did miss you too."

Vikkie moved closer and felt my temperature.

"You are fine now?"

"I think I am."

"So, how was home, Mum and Dad?"

"All was fine."

"Did you tell them about me?"

"I sure did tell them I had a naughty daughter with a rat teeth back in school, who must have missed me so badly."

"You are not serious, are you?" Asked Vikkie, all smiles

"You can see I am."

Minutes into our buzz, Ewatomi walked in. We shared an eye contact and she looked down, but when I caught her gaze again, it was an intense eye contact which lasted till Vikkie interrupted.

"Senior Ewatomi." She greeted and the latter greeted back.

"Hi Victoria."

She went to her locker, pulled out her Chemistry note book and brought it to me.

"This is the note Akin. You've missed not a lot." She noted.

"I'll help write the ones you missed." Said Vikkie, who took the notes and stood to leave. "See you in the Prep School father."

"See you Vikkie. Thanks so much."

The classroom was a grave yard for the two minutes that followed Vikkie's exit. Ewatomi stood by my locker rubbing her finger on its flat surface while I seeked the many breathes I've lost.

"Ewatomi. How are you today?" I broke the silence.

She raised her eyes brow a bit to look me in the eyes, exposing some snow white eye lids.

"I'm fine." And with a faint voice, she continued. "Did you get my note?"

"I did."

"I'm so sorry." She returned with a bit shaky voice.

"You don't need be sorry. I'm the one that should say sorry here."

"But I made you go through pains." She replied.

"You need not worry, I really do understand now."

"OK." She said, and bit her lips.

"Ewatomi, can I call you my love now?"

"Yes." She replied with a nod, her gaze directed at my chest while her nostrils flared nicely.

"I love you." I said with teardrops in my eyes.

Why was I weepy? Her innocent beauty was a bit too much to cope with, I guess.

"I love you too." Ewatomi replied, lowering her eye brows shyly.

"I can't believe this is happening."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 5:51am On Aug 20, 2018
skubido:
I gat here finally,,
OP nice work.. Jah bless
skubido, u welcome to my high school.
Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Yemike(m): 8:43am On Aug 20, 2018
High school love....

Really missed some opportunities back then.

ride on boss i'm enjoying every bit of the story.
Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by skubido(m): 9:27am On Aug 20, 2018
Africlegend:
skubido, u welcome to my high school.

tanks boss,, nice wan
Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by IAmkingoludav(m): 11:37pm On Aug 20, 2018
Oya na
Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by bigbauer(m): 12:18am On Aug 21, 2018
interesting and captivating story you've got here.
Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 5:59am On Aug 21, 2018
bigbauer:
interesting and captivating story you've got here.
Thanks bigbauer. U wlcm to my high school.
Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 6:01am On Aug 21, 2018
Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 6:35am On Aug 21, 2018
Episode 17

I stood on my feet and sat back feeling a mixture of warmth and excitement. I held her palms, they felt cozy and warm. Ewatomi then sat on my locker, facing me, with her hands still in mine.

"Are you happy?" She asked.

"I…I am."

"You will teach me how to Love you and still make 'A(s)?" She asked again, looking into my eyes.

"We'll do it together. We'll have 'A(s)." I responded.

"Ok."

On another Monday morning, the first Lesson was English as usual. Mr. V entered our class to teach the day's topic. 'Comprehension,' he wrote on the white board and commenced the teaching.

"Good morning sir." Ewatomi greeted, some thirty minutes into the lesson.

"You again?"

"Sir, the Proprietress sent for me. She had a message from my Dad."

"Anyways, you know the rule. Are you ready?"

"Alright sir."

"Good."

"What figure of speech is the above and how will you interprete it?"

"It is a metaphor sir."

"Correct! And the Interpretation?"

"Akin is a pig?" Ewatomi asked again.

"Yes. Akin is a Pig." The teacher replied, catching my gaze.

Ewatomi covered her mouth with her left palm and said:

"Akin is a dirty boy."

"I couldn't hear you. Could you hear what she said?" He asked the class and we chorused "NO!"

"Akin is a dirty boy." Ewatomi said louder, all smiles, and everyone laughed.

"Yes. You may have your seat."

"Thank you sir." She said and left for her seat.

The teacher continued: "But, is Akin really a dirty boy?"

The class again answered "No!"

"In that case," the teacher lectured on. "In light of Akin's well-known neatness, under what figure of speech can we explain ‘Akin is a dirty boy’?"

A lady raised her hand up.

"Let's hear from you Mariam."

"Irony." Answered Mariam.

"Irony! A round of applause for her please."

We all clapped.

"Do not forget these things." The English teacher concluded and left.

During the break time, Ewatomi came to my side of the class, handed me a sausage roll and sat on my locker, facing me.

"Akin." She called excitedly, and kept on. "I dreamt of you all night."

"Will you tell me about it?" I requested, biting my snack.

"Yes. It was a wedding."

"A wedding?"

"Yes. You were the groom and I, your bride." She continued. "I saw the engagement and the Church service. But, at the reception, the host seemed taking much time and you were so much in a hurry that you approached and requested that he rounded up. When you returned to the well decorated seat we both shared, I asked for the reason you were so much in a hurry and you responded that...that, you couldn't wait to knock me up. When you said that, the shy me pinched you, you returned with a kiss on my cheek and we both smiled."

She stopped, hit me lightly on the shoulder and said:

"You are paying too much attention."

I smiled and bit my sausage again. We were both silent for almost a minute, during which she kept a flirting stare at me.

"You won't tell me more about the dream?" I asked.

"You love it right?"

"Yes." I answered.

"Do you wish to get married to me?"

"That's my greatest desire."

"OK." She said with a nod and continued. "Promise me we won't have sex before our wedding night." She requested, flaring her nostrils.

"I promise ma." I replied. "Tell me more about the dream."

"Ok." She said, and talked on. "So, after the wedding we got to your beautiful flat. We prayed and I told you I would like a shower, then left for the bathroom. It was a very decent room, with a free standing bathtub, a floor-to-ceiling mirror, skylights, and some framed modern prints on the wall, a flower pot and a greenery..."

"You mean my bathroom was that beautiful?"

She smiled and continued.

"I only just stripped myself when you entered and met me in the middle of a bubble bath. At first, I was shy of being naked in your presence, but I soon got over it and we both relaxed in the water. When we left the bathroom, my heart skipped a bit, knowing too well that you would want the sex you've so much dreamt of, and, you know, I'd never experienced it. You wrapped your hands around my unclad body, planted a kiss on my cold lips and promised to be gentle with me. You then swept me off the ground, placed me gently on the bed and..."

"Good afternoon class." The Geography teacher greeted.

The break was over and it was time for the first afternoon lesson that beautiful Monday.
Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by skubido(m): 8:48am On Aug 21, 2018
OP abeg we small pikin dey aoz oooo.

tanks for the update.. more

1 Like

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by IAmkingoludav(m): 11:06am On Aug 21, 2018
Errm errm okay Next!
Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 7:03pm On Aug 27, 2018
Episode 18

On Thursday, the second periodic Test was finally brought to an end in the afternoon, some forty five minutes before the school would close for the day. The class was a bit noisy as everyone was either here or there talking. Ewatomi remained on her seat reading a novel, and from there she often caught my gaze. Few minutes into the free period, the class rep. came in with English language test notes. We wrote the test on Wednesday and the results were ready. Everyone flocked around him, eager to get his/her note and check the score. On seeing hers, Ewatomi sent me a long stare and smiled. She then got up and walked up to me. I only smiled as she approached, knowing she must have got a good score she wanted to show me. She placed her test note on my locker and said:

"Your Ewatomi scored 90%."

"What did you do with the remaining 10%?" I questioned.

"Seriously?" She screamed. "Let me see your own score."

I quickly picked up my test note from the locker before she could pick it up. She wanted it so badly that she tried to seize it, but I swiftly put the book in my left hand. I kept on changing it from one hand to another and her persistent effort was in vain. I laughed as I watched her try, and finally she pleaded.

"Akin please..."

And I handed her the note.

"Wow! 98%?" She initially exclaimed. "Where is the remaining 2%?" She then asked.

I let out a teasing smile and the final bell rang.

"I love you." She whispered, and left for her hostel.

I watched her model-sexy steps out of the class and mused.

"She's really fun."

In the night class, there was not much serious reading. The second periodic test just ended, so, even before 9:00pm, the prep class was already noisy. Vikkie sat beside me in an oversized brown hoodie, a bit chilly. At every word I uttered, she would laugh. The weather was cold and the junior students had dosed off while the senior ones had left for other classes to chat with friends. Ewatomi entered my class through the exit and came to my place looking a bit dull.

"Akin, my head aches and I'm cold."

"Oh! Sorry."

"Thanks." She replied with her two hands on her face.

"Would you like to see the health mistress for some drugs?"

"No." She cut in with a frown, sticking out her lower lip.

Her body language suggested that all she wanted was to sit beside me that cold night, so I asked:

"Would you sit?"

And she nodded in approval. I quickly drew a chair and locker very close to mine, but, Ewatomi would not move an inch until I held her right hand, after which she sat catching every gaze of mine.

Each time I went into a conversation with Vikkie, Ewatomi would stroke her pen dejectedly, with her eyes focused on the locker in silence.

"I need see my friend." Vikkie said, and left the class living my girlfriend and me behind.

After some seconds of silence, I turned to Ewatomi who was fidgeting with her hear ring and asked.

"Are you jealous of my school daughter?"

"Akin, I...I don't know." She uttered with a broken voice.

"No one will take your Akin away. We are getting married remember?" I soothed, and she giggled, bit her lips then looked me in the eyes and said with a lower pitch:

"I know. Just that it hurts to see another girl share your attention." She continued, lowering her eye lids shyly. "I just want to be around you every minute these days."

"On my part, it's quite difficult to express what I feel. I never knew love was this beautiful. I love you Ewatomi, with all my heart." I replied, maintaining the intense high contact we shared.
The distance between our lips closed, but I ended up planting the kiss on her forehead. I then took my right hand from her warm palm to tickle her armpit playfully.

"Akin...Aki...n...Stop...Stop...Please...Akin...stop." She said, as she giggled uncontrollably loud.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by skubido(m): 9:49pm On Aug 27, 2018
Hmmmm, tanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Fopefolu Memorial High School by Africlegend: 5:58am On Aug 28, 2018
Episode 19

The following Monday morning was blue. The sun deemed its scorching radiance and the cloud gathered, leaving a completely gloomy atmosphere. At about 9am, Ewatomi was summoned to the Principal's office. His American based, business man Dad was around and she was visibly happy to hear the news of his arrival. But, some five minutes later, she ran back into the classroom. She placed her head on her locker and let out a bitter cry.

"Ewatomi, is anything wrong?" The mathematics teacher asked.

No response, but a higher pitch wail that suggested genuine pain, sadness and agony. The teacher hurried to her sit and managed to race her head up. She was a different Ewatomi. The snow white eye balls were bloodshot, and from them rolled out tears. Her pretty face erupted fumes, and from her nostrils, a colorless fluid deprived of attention.

"My Mu…ummy ooo!" She exclaimed with a stuttering breathe.

Ewatomi's Mum was gone! A salty fluid sipped into my mouth as I watched the prettiest girl in Fopefolu mourn.

"It's such a wicked world."

Her Dad entered the Classroom and walked towards her weeping daughter. He was a tall man with splotches of grey bears, in his early fifties. His dark hair also had some splotches of greyness. A stripped brown polo did justice to a glowing fair skin, and on his neck hung a spectacle. He was a good looking man with a meek demeanor. He lifted her daughter up and wrapped his hands around her head, which he had earlier placed on his chest.

"Ewatomi Aduke, your mum is gone for good, and there's nothing we can do about it. Life could be so unpredictable my darling. We are mere mortals, fools, and no not what tomorrow brings. God gives, and he takes away. It's so painful, but let's take it as our own fate. You'll be fine, I promise you'll be fine."

Ewatomi had soaked his Dad's shirt in tears. She squeezed the shirt and cried miserably.

"But she told me she was getting better. She said she was responding well and would soon get over cancer. Why this now? Daddy! Where is my Mum?"

She then left her Dad, and the next minute, was on the floor rolling and weeping. It was a pathetic scene, so tragic.

Her Dad quickly wiped the tears forming in his own eyes and attempted to lift her daughter from the ground, but he was soon overpowered by grief. He allowed the tears a free flow as he bent towards her dejected daughter. About five teachers had gathered in our class and Mr. Vincent quickly lifted Ewatomi. She was led to the Proprietress’ office and her Dad followed.
The class became noisy as everyone had one or two things to say to another. On my sit, I remained, filled with grief, guilt and anger. I couldn't help the girl I love than life itself? I couldn't stop her mother's death and could not even lift her up when she rolled on the floor? I couldn't wrap my hands around her head and console her while she cried, lest our love become public knowledge and I would have to answer questions? So painful.
I longed to see her and say sorry, at least, before she would be taken home. But, about an hour later, the proprietress found her way into our class.

"You all know what had happened to one of you. She would have followed his Dad home, but I sensed he would be too busy to be around her always. He'll need put things together for the burial which has been stated for Friday this week. So, I requested that Ewatomi remained in school, where you all would be around to console and keep her company. Her Mum was a very nice and charming woman, she would definitely miss her so much. Please do well to make your friend feel good.” She said and left.
After a couple of hours, the Proprietress brought Ewatomi back to class, sat her down and mused some few words into her ears before leaving.

Ewatomi sat down with her eyes fixed to one direction while our classmates went in groups to say sorry, to which she never responded.
The next minute, she sat quietly, facing the unengaged board in teardrops. It sucked to see her that depressed and empty. I watched her scream silently, trying so hard to not to call the attention of consolers. I saw her clench her fists, struggling between a tortured hope and despondency. She wiped her tears a number of times only to find it rushing out in torrents again. Then, she covered her mouth with her right hand, but her cry found its way into her ears still, so, she jumped up and screamed so loudly again. Everyone rushed to her place, students and teachers alike.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Best Inspirational Books By A Nigerian Author / Trapped (an Anthology Series) / Gold Blood: The Resurrection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.