Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:27 AM

'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes (12044 Views)

Social Media Reactions To Aisha Buhari Statement On Edo Prostitutes / Video- We're going to Create UNEMPLOYMENT- Goodluck Jonathan / Bankole Defects To SDP, We're Unmoved - PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by cold(m): 9:44am On Jun 19, 2010
We’ll not leave Abuja – Prostitutes

The two weeks ultimatum recently given to commercial sex workers in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, to quit their activities or vacate the city is being faced with unease, as a good number of the call girls have not indicated readiness to vacate the city. Weekly Trust can reveal that even though a good number of the commercial sex workers in Abuja are seemingly unaware of the ultimatum, the few who are aware have said they will not leave and revealed some reasons why it is unfair for government via the FCT authority to sack them.

Jennifer, 17, refused to reveal the state she hails from but she was dressed in Ankara material, sewn as it is in Northern Nigeria. “I dress like this because many non-Northerners like to have the company of girls from the North. They know I’m not from there but I guess the outfit does it for them.” Jennifer said she was forced to run to Abuja when her mother died and her stepdad raped her repeatedly. “With this work, I’ve sent my two younger ones to school. And now the government wants me to quit? No way.” With that, she chuckled and walked further down the Gimbiya Street in Area 11, lined with other girls like her.

Some of the call girls told Weekly Trust that they are unemployed and that they have financial responsibilities to take care of, while some argued that they are Nigerians and entitled to their constitutional rights, the right to live in any part of the country, as well as the freedom of movement and association.

Abuja is viewed by prospective migrants as a goldmine. As a result, sex workers have also moved en masse to the city to source substantial incomes. Even though there is no available official statistics of the numerical population of commercial sex workers in the city, today there are, visibly, a sizeable number of call girls in almost all satellite towns and suburbs within and around the FCT.

The modus operandi of the Abuja call girls differs in styles and standards. There are the locals, those who operate within the surrounding suburbs (Kubwa, Dutse, Karimo, Mararaba, Nyanya etc).

There are also the ‘classy’ types, operating from the vicinity of highbrow hotels in the city. These are the high class prostitutes. This category, it is suspected, may likely not be affected by the FCTA’s quit order because of their methods and operational base, usually five-star hotels across the city, where they pose as entrepreneurs’ and multinational corporations’ staff who are out for a meeting or dinner. They hang around hotels and buy drinks or food in such places, even tipping junior workers with a view to attracting prospective clients.

Others in the middle range operate in brothels and also the street-waiting girls. Some of them in this category move from the satellite towns in Abuja into the city at nights to hang around major streets waiting for patrons. A bevy of these ladies are found mostly in Wuse Zone 4, Garki, Area 11(Gimbiya Street), Ademola Adetokumbo Street in Wuse 2 and a host of other areas.

It was gathered that another category are students of tertiary institutions from neighboring states and within the FCT as well. The female undergraduates hire rooms in major hotels where they bring in men. Sources at these hotels say the female students contribute money to pay for the hotel rooms and, in most cases, keep the room for weeks. The idea is that, operating from the hotel room will give access to male lodgers who could be prospective clients.

Then there is the main brothel set. They are mostly in their late teens and mid 20s.

This category is spread all over the city, from the city center to the satellite towns and other suburbs; they dwell in their base (brothels) and render services there. The much-reported quit order was handed to this set at a hotel in Wuse.

While the call girls in the satellite towns of Kubwa, Mararaba and Nyanya are unaware of the ultimatum, some of them told Weekly Trust that they are not ready to quit the trade, at least for now. “We’ll not leave Abuja,” said one of them as they all seemed to agree.

Mercy (Not real name), initially refused to speak with our reporter but later did under the condition that no pictures whatsoever be snapped. She said it is going to be difficult for them to quit and leave town within 48 hours. “It is not realistic,” Mercy said between puffs of cigarette smoke from heavily painted lips. “What type of law is that? We are not criminals, for God’s sake. The government should leave us alone and focus on hoodlums and criminals, not innocent people like us.”

Mercy later referred our reporter to one of her colleagues who refused to reveal her identity but sounded eloquent. “Are we not Nigerians? Don’t we have the right to live in Abuja? We know our right to free movement and association. Nobody chooses to do this. If there is another means, if the government gives us jobs, we’ll quit of course. I am a diploma holder but I don’t have a job and the government expects me to do what, beg?”

“Most of us come from a very disadvantaged background with aged parents and siblings to cater for. I actually came to Abuja to search for a job after school but I discovered that getting a job with a diploma is very difficult. However, the lady I was staying started frowning at my stay with her and I had no choice than to look for something to help myself with. Nobody would intentionally choose to be in this thing.”

Another colleague of hers cut in: “They are disturbing us because we do ours in the open. What about other ladies who claim to be workers in Abuja? They also do it for money. They sleep with men both in their houses and hotels or the men’ places, as well.”

Meanwhile, the commercial sex workers at the hotel where the FCT minister handed the warning via his Social Development Secretary, Mrs. Blessing Onuh, are having a serious re-think about their profession. A visit to the brothel revealed that a good number of them are gearing up to vacate the premises, though no one can tell how soon. It was not certain if they are quitting the profession or simply changing their base. However, it was learnt that some of them who are seemingly ready to repent have collected vocational training forms from the FCTA Secretariat for Social Development within the week. One of them reluctantly and briefly confirmed to Weekly Trust.

Investigations however revealed that the ultimatum has made the call girls to hike their service charges between 25 and 50 percent, especially those operating inside the city center, where the FCTA task force will have eagle eyes on them.

Meanwhile, for those in the satellite towns who claimed to be unaware of the ultimatum, it is business as usual, as they still maintain their service and go about their normal activities. According to a client, he just read the issue of the sack in the newspapers. He quipped: “Even though their activities are immoral, they still provide services that are much needed.” He added: “Government is just trying to exhibit a holier-than-thou attitude. I feel it is better they prostitute than join robbery gangs. There are people who cannot do without their services or they would engage in other negative activities like rape and harassment of women.”

Despite the ultimatum, Weekly Trust survey of the operations of the call girls suggests that for a good number of them and their operational base, it is a matter of redesigning their modus operandi than outrightly quitting of one of the world’s oldest professions.

Confirming the positive reaction of some of the call girls to the vocational training programme, Mrs. Blessing Onuh said over 150 of them have collected the forms in readiness to participate in the programme. In line with the response by some of the call girls, the FCT minister directed an extension of the ultimatum by another 48 hours, which elapsed yesterday, Friday.

According to Mrs. Onuh in a statement: “The reason for the extension of the quit order was to give more time for the information on the decision to spread properly, especially among the sex workers and their clients.” However, enquiries to ascertain enforcement could not be confirmed by the police. Moshood Jimoh, the FCT Command’s Public Relations Officer told our reporter that he was going to get clarification from the Operations Unit on the enforcement and arrest matter, but up to press time, no information is available. As the sun sets on the eve of the expir of their deadline, a couple of scantily-clad call girls told Weekly Trust that they are getting ready for the start of the weekend. “Business is cool on Friday evenings. To hell with the ultimatum, because man must wack.”

http://www.weekly.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3459:well-not-leave-abuja-prostitutes&catid=40:cover-stories&Itemid=26

Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by skyndyp(f): 12:11pm On Jun 19, 2010
Make they leave them to do their business jare grin grin grin
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jun 19, 2010
naija morality police tongue
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jun 19, 2010
lol, hehehehehehehe grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Ranoscky(m): 12:21pm On Jun 19, 2010
Useless politician leave important things to do, bone all the files wey dey office dey disturb innocent hustlers. sad
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by philip0906(m): 12:38pm On Jun 19, 2010
@op
y all of dem dey cover face na? cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jun 19, 2010
Abeg stay jare, no let anyone intimidate u for your papa land tongue tongue grin grin
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by mrofficial(m): 1:07pm On Jun 19, 2010
philip0906:

@op
y all of dem dey cover face na? cheesy grin grin

I don't know oooo. they should flaunt it, and tell the governments that they are not ashamed and that, its their business.
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by gentlegg(m): 1:22pm On Jun 19, 2010
In as much as I don't support commercial sex-working, but what happens to all these girls that work in coperate firms, banks etc that have to sleep from gateman's bed to MD's office before she gets any of her demand? What of all these girls that moves from Lagos weekend visit to Portharcourt monthend visit in a guy's house just to get some cash for her personal needs? What of all these our girls that are immorally very active, yet behaves like Angel Michael in the open? Useless Nigerian government officials, always pursing shadow instead of main object. Love-peddlers doesn't contribute up to 1% of the problems of this retard called Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by philip0906(m): 1:27pm On Jun 19, 2010
gentlegg:

In as much as I don't support commercial sex-working, but what happens to all these girls that work in coperate firms, banks etc that have to sleep from gateman's bed to MD's office before she gets any of her demand? What of all these girls that moves from Lagos weekend visit to Portharcourt monthend visit in a guy's house just to get some cash for her personal needs? What of all these our girls that are immorally very active, yet behaves like Angel Michael in the open? Useless Nigerian government officials, always pursing shadow instead of main object. Love-peddlers doesn't contribute up to 1% of the problems of this retard called Nigeria.

GBAM!!!!they don't contribute up to 1% of our problems,yet they leave 99% of d problem and start chasing wild goose.bunch of azzholes!!! undecided
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Princek12(m): 1:27pm On Jun 19, 2010
All the corrupt politicians should also leave Abuja.
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by 190: 1:35pm On Jun 19, 2010
this is good news oo
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jun 19, 2010
Lol.so ashewo dey protest.they berra carry placards and march to national assembly to demand for a constitutional enactment for their profession.shameless daughters of lucifer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by kcreal(f): 1:55pm On Jun 19, 2010
I don't support prostitution, but I think there are other important things he would have started with.
Is like chasing a rat while ur house is on fire.
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by skyndyp(f): 2:02pm On Jun 19, 2010
What do we call the men that keep them in business? Will they be ask to leave Abj too? Just wondering,
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Owoblows(m): 2:08pm On Jun 19, 2010
Ashawo dey evywhere, even gay dey fear say ashawo go collect all d boiz 4 dis year, Is d minister a gay?

1 Like

Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Youngichou(m): 2:18pm On Jun 19, 2010
skyndyp:

What do we call the men that keep them in business? Will they be ask to leave Abj too? Just wondering,
help me tell them
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Youngichou(m): 2:19pm On Jun 19, 2010
skyndyp:

help me tell them
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Spyker: 2:32pm On Jun 19, 2010
This is where the Nigerian Police will be strong to act. They are all afraid of the Niger Delta and the South Eastern states where guns are brandished and people are assassinated, maimed, kidnapped and robbed while they stay in Abuja (fake city fool of Crooks who have stolen the wealth of the Nation) pursuing prostitutes. Why don't they pursue the men who patronize these girls see if they don't arrest the IGP and the politicians.
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by adconline(m): 2:41pm On Jun 19, 2010
Maybe they should consult Oba of Benin to curse them. When human science fails, juju is there to help.
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Joe50(m): 2:46pm On Jun 19, 2010
stop patronizers first (police men and politicians) before sending love-peddlers away
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Kayflexy1(f): 2:50pm On Jun 19, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

IDIOT LAWON GOVERNMENT LEADERS WA YII SHA,

WHY USE ONE PROBLEM 2 CAUSE ANODA

WALAHI,KO NI DAA FUN WON!!!!!!!!!!
[/size][size=8pt]
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Acidosis(m): 2:57pm On Jun 19, 2010
Funny politicians. These same politicians already have their full-time prostitutes as client (not wives). Have we not heard of politicians sleeping around with our wayward nollywood actresses?
I'm not in support of prostitution as a business in Nigeria, but if one must remove the dirt in the eye of his/her fellow, he/she must check a mirror to confirm if there aren't any dirt on his/her own eye.
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by ladi02(m): 3:04pm On Jun 19, 2010
The Minister must be a Sharia man grin

1 Like

Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by idifu(m): 3:05pm On Jun 19, 2010
fix d economy mr.Good luck jonathan or wat eva is ur name
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by tellwisdom: 3:07pm On Jun 19, 2010
Free these pple jo! Its a freedom of life, Omo i for like come collect one into my house oo! Ahh!! On ma way
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by skyndyp(f): 3:10pm On Jun 19, 2010
@Idifu mind your language with my Oga! I fit vex now.
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by oderemo(m): 4:01pm On Jun 19, 2010
Have we not heard of politicians sleeping around with our wayward nollywood actresses?
hey dude tell me that part of the gist. grin grin grin cheesy
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Ranoscky(m): 4:24pm On Jun 19, 2010
Back in the yrs when i was still at ajegunle. i was caught by the police when they were on rading at auto wharf mile2.
i was the 1st catch so they took me into their bus (danfo as usual) and asked me to give them 1000naira to free myself but i told them that i don't have such amount with me that all i have is 100naira. and they asked me if i have 500 and i said no and showed them the money with me, but they refused collecting the 100naira and took me too their station (ajeromi police station). before then, they caught more guys along. they kept us in 1 of their boss office and went for the 2nd rading. after all set and done, they asked us to call our parents 4 bailing. some guys amongst us were chevring in fears and some of them called their relatives to come and bail them. Omo me i refused OO, wetin?  undecided wey b say i no tiff nai'em u say make i bail mysef, Omo i bone o. na long tory sha, but to cut d tory short, on their 2nd rading they caught 3gurls and those gurls were asked to bail themselfs with 5000naira each or they'll pass the nite inside cell or if they (the police men) sleep with them (the 3gurls) they'll be freed that nite. can u imagine? asking them to bail themselfs with 5000 each wey dem no b ashawo  shocked. .after every-every sha, 2gurls decided to give them (the police men) their "kpomo" to be freed but 1gurl resisted and decided to pass the nite inside the cell than for her to give them (the policemen) her "kpomo" for them to. . .u know na grin. but the next day dem com livam sha, e com remain 3 of us wey b boys and for d begining we b 30sometin pipu wey dem catch but i was among the last 3peeps to leave d station cos i decided not to call my pipu b'cos i no tiff na  undecided sad. . .y i go bail mysef? sad.  after much-much dem leta leave me d next day sha. omo but i laff tire b'cos na dia u go hear and see different character. we all proove sturbbon head but 1 boy own too much, d police pipu beatam ehn. . .dem tellam to go d nxt day, him say 'em no dey go anywhere oo, say dem don dey beatam since last nite say make dem kuku killam fro here make him die b'cos him no go commot for there. say him come from far place and wen dem (d police pipu) dey beatam, him lost 'em money and him no get money to go back house again. so d police ask am how much be 'em money? him come lie say na 5000, d police pipu com vex com beatam more and more ehn  grin grin grin. . . omo na long tory jare, so 1 of d police come say make dem give am 500 make him carry him wahala dey go make him no come die 4 here. omo i don laff tire so teyyyyyyyyyyy laff no gree me leave police station again oo!  grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by Acidosis(m): 4:34pm On Jun 19, 2010
ode remo:

hey dude tell me that part of the gist. grin grin grin cheesy
I wouldn't wanna mention names.
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by cvibe: 5:18pm On Jun 19, 2010
;d
Re: 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes by soyad: 5:19pm On Jun 19, 2010
What of men who patronise them , it takes two to tango .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ekweremadu’s Attackers Will Face German Law - Embassy Reveals / Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦216, Daily Subsidy Now ₦4.64 Billion / Wike - We Will Frustrate New PDP In Rivers –wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.