Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Igbo Women And Social Status - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Women And Social Status (28498 Views)

When Would Yoruba Men Start Marrying Igbo Women? / Beauty Of Igbo Women / Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ChinenyeN(m): 5:39pm On Aug 19, 2011
If I'm not mistaking, this horsetail thing people are going on about here is generally called a fly-whisk, and it is widespread throughout West Africa, even in Igbo. Ibibio also have them. Ijaw also have them. It is either made from horse or cow tail, or any other kind of furry animal hide, or fibre.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by Chyz2: 6:06pm On Aug 19, 2011
tpia@:

Odumchi you are quite wrong here.

Those wrappers are typically associated with yoruba because its part and parcel of yoruba culture.

The dressing is usually worn by oba's wives and in olden times they werent allowed to wear anything else.

I've seen a photo of my grandma(yoruba) when she was young-maybe in her twenties or so- and that was the kind of wrapper she tied.

Yoruba cultural dances also feature that exact dressing combined with horsetail. Horsetails are very prominent in the traditional culture.

I really dont know what you're trying to accomplish with these lies of yours. Its getting too much.
I could assume an edoid link for the photo because of the hair beads, but some yorubas also use those and the horsetails are more conclusive.

How are you goin to come here and tell us what our women do and don't weear? lol. Ok, since you know so much, what do Igbo women wear? Pictures too pls.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://migrationstoriesofnigerianigbo.files./2009/11/igbo.jpg%3Fw%3D264%26h%3D310&imgrefurl=http://migrationstoriesofnigerianigbo./category/ndi-igbo/&usg=__g44Kw8UtpzfQFGuEnSdsRH9Bjx0=&h=351&w=264&sz=25&hl=en&start=461&zoom=1&tbnid=ncEhx0vmbgKY4M:&tbnh=120&tbnw=90&ei=IJxOTp-tI8GtgQfZsMGPBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Digbo%2Bwomen%26start%3D441%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ifyalways(f): 6:31pm On Aug 19, 2011
LOL

This thread eeeee,Can't even believe what Im seeing here.Say what
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 6:35pm On Aug 19, 2011
Odumchi

what i'm telling you is that combination of beads, wrapper and horsetail all point to yoruba.

I'm not looking at beads alone and i repeat- that dressing is commonly associated with yoruba culture.

Edoid also in some instances- mainly benin.

The smaller wrapper is called oja or gbaja in some parts of the southwest. It can be used to back a baby, as an accessory as we see in that picture, or sometimes as the headtie. It is different from iro and also has a satirical reference in yoruba to describe someone who is ready to fight ie tie wrapper which is the equivalent of removing your earrings when you're getting ready to beat someone up.

The wrapper in such saying is referring to this smaller one shown in the photo. It can also refer to someone who is determined about a matter.

All this is to show you the dressing in question is entrenched in yoruba culure.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 6:35pm On Aug 19, 2011
@ chyz

not sure i get your point.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 6:36pm On Aug 19, 2011
Chyz*:

How are you goin to come here and tell us what our women do and don't weear? lol. Ok, since you know so much, what do Igbo women wear? Pictures too pls.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://migrationstoriesofnigerianigbo.files./2009/11/igbo.jpg%3Fw%3D264%26h%3D310&imgrefurl=http://migrationstoriesofnigerianigbo./category/ndi-igbo/&usg=__g44Kw8UtpzfQFGuEnSdsRH9Bjx0=&h=351&w=264&sz=25&hl=en&start=461&zoom=1&tbnid=ncEhx0vmbgKY4M:&tbnh=120&tbnw=90&ei=IJxOTp-tI8GtgQfZsMGPBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Digbo%2Bwomen%26start%3D441%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1

thanks for the link, it comfimed my theory that such items could only be gotten from trades
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 6:36pm On Aug 19, 2011
ifyalways:

LOL

This thread eeeee,Can't even believe what Im seeing here.Say what

LOL what can't you believe here?
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by Chyz2: 7:40pm On Aug 19, 2011
alj_harem:

thanks for the link, it comfimed my theory that such items could only be gotten from trades

Yea, that's how your yoruba women got beads. Never forget that.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 8:35pm On Aug 19, 2011
The woman third from left's top is not Igbo style. It is a Yoruba top or style. But then, most groups that tye two wrappers are Igbo and other southern groups minus Yoruba.
Nowadays, you see Igbo women and others in Yoruba style of wrappers.
The identity of the women is Igbo but then, I will speak to Uche Nworah about this.

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 9:03pm On Aug 19, 2011
Igbo women.

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 9:48pm On Aug 19, 2011
The photo i've been referring to is the one where the women are holding horsetails.

ie this one:

I hope nobody thought i meant the other pictures where the women were tying george or up and down which everybody knows is an igbo form of dressing.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 10:00pm On Aug 19, 2011
@ chinenye

yoruba women use the horsetail aka flywhisk in traditional dances.

not sure if women elsewhere do the same.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 10:03pm On Aug 19, 2011
@Tpia@, I think that attire is a Southern Nigerian thing during the colonial era.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 10:12pm On Aug 19, 2011
Andre Uweh:

@Tpia@, I think that attire is a Southern Nigerian thing during the colonial era.

Nope it is not a southern nigerian thing but a Yoruba/bini thing. No other group could have gotten it as hair tail animals don't live in the south.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by odumchi: 11:05pm On Aug 19, 2011
^^^
Ignorance is bliss.

Here's a link of where the pic is from. It was a picture taken in 1929 of the Igbo women of the Aba women's riot. Abi it's still Yoruba/Bini huh? Aniova

http://igbokwenu.wikispaces.com/Aba+Women+Rebellion
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 11:14pm On Aug 19, 2011
Alh Harem, look at this photograph closely, you will see that it is similar to the one recently posted by Tpia@. Most southern women dress in that fashion during the colonial era.

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 11:16pm On Aug 19, 2011
Igbo woman during the colonial era.

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 11:21pm On Aug 19, 2011
21st century Igbo woman.

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 11:33pm On Aug 19, 2011
@ andre uweh

i think akwete cloth is the word you're looking for. Correct me if i'm wrong.

akwete is regarded as traditional igbo weaving specific to the ndoki area.

according to the following site, the industry was introduced from ijebu ode or bini [your guess is as good as mine- maybe via europeans, trade or ijaw/itsekiri] in the 19th century, became firmly established in ndoki and sold mostly to ijaws from there. Ijaws had their own cloth called tortoise cloth [for the pattern], but were still heavy purchasers of akwete.

http://books.google.com/books?id=QKD_VNQ0MF4C&pg=PA47&dq=akwete+cloth&hl=en&ei=F-BOTpzaGoTX0QG74t2KBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=akwete%20cloth&f=false

**i'm not familiar with ndoki so I have no idea where they are offhand- just saying**
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 11:34pm On Aug 19, 2011
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 11:37pm On Aug 19, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Alh Harem, look at this photograph closely, you will see that it is similar to the one recently posted by Tpia@. Most southern women dress in that fashion during the colonial era.

Thanks but didn't see anything there
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 11:39pm On Aug 19, 2011
odumchi:

^^^
Ignorance is bliss.

Here's a link of where the pic is from. It was a picture taken in 1929 of the Igbo women of the Aba women's riot. Abi it's still Yoruba/Bini huh? Aniova

i think ignorance is bliss indeed

did u read chyz link at all

the link tells us of the trading like backe then before 1920's thus my suggestion was right. it could only have been gotten for trades and no other means

the land and topograpgy does not support it.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 11:42pm On Aug 19, 2011
odumchi:

^^^
Ignorance is bliss.

the picture was not taken during the aba women's riot, and indeed has nothing to do with it.

besides, the link it was taken from is right there under the photo.

the women are wearing rubber slippers- that wouldnt have been possible back then. The footwear isnt that old.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 11:44pm On Aug 19, 2011
tpia@:

the picture was not taken during the aba women's riot, and indeed has nothing to do with it.

the women are wearing rubber slippers- that wouldnt have been possible back then. The footwear isnt that old.

gbamm well said
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 11:49pm On Aug 19, 2011
tpia@:

although rubber slippers would have been possible through trade with the white men.

it is the horse tail i know did not come from aligbo likly from trade as chyz's link suggested
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 11:50pm On Aug 19, 2011
according to this site, akwete designs were originally traded to the ijaws by ijebu ode people. When trade was disrupted, kalabari ijaw took the cloth to the igbo weavers of akwete town and asked them to reproduce the patterns. They did so, and in addition, inculcated an indian madras design which they also obtained from the ijaw.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5_G3r3ANaZMC&pg=PA73&dq=akwete+cloth&hl=en&ei=GuVOTu-cIKTh0QHT2NWzDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=akwete%20cloth&f=false
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 11:51pm On Aug 19, 2011
alj_harem:

although rubber slippers would have been possible through trade with the white men.

it is the horse tail i know did not come from aligbo likly from trade as chyz's link suggested

plastic slippers werent invented until the 1940s or 50s.

i looked it up.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 11:54pm On Aug 19, 2011
tpia@:

plastic slippers werent invented until the 1940s or 50s.

i looked it up.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/372914_Aba_Station_jpgb794cf2aeba0281086773d952972e2ea

trade with the white people, pretty industrialised then
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by odumchi: 11:54pm On Aug 19, 2011
tpia@:

I provided you with the link that states it was taken in that era. Do you have any evidence that disproves it? Besides Ogbos didn't trade with Binis and Yorubas. I told you they traded with other Easterners. Here's a link of Igbo trade routes prior to 1900.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Igbo_Trade_Routes_before_1900.svg
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 12:02am On Aug 20, 2011
alj_harem:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/372914_Aba_Station_jpgb794cf2aeba0281086773d952972e2ea

trade with the white people, pretty industrialised then

the japanese had slippers long before then, but they werent made of rubber.

the modern one in the other photo is a relatively recent invention.

i cant see what shoes the people in this picture are wearing, but if it's slippers, then that casts doubt on the date attributed to the photo.

however, i dont think that's what they have on.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 12:03am On Aug 20, 2011
odumchi:

I provided you with the link that states it was taken in that era. Do you have any evidence that disproves it? Besides Ogbos didn't trade with Binis and Yorubas. I told you they traded with other Easterners. Here's a link of Igbo trade routes prior to 1900.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Igbo_Trade_Routes_before_1900.svg

this was the trading back then way before 1920's and pre-colonial era

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 12:04am On Aug 20, 2011
odumchi if u notice, igbos did have trade with the binis then

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Believe In These Superstitions? / Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) / Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.