Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:48 PM

Why Religions Don’t Care About Truth - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Religions Don’t Care About Truth (711 Views)

Fun Game For Everyone! Come Laugh At Other Religions. Who Wins? / Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? / Should Christians Care About Physical Appearance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Religions Don’t Care About Truth by dalaman: 12:56pm On Aug 06, 2018
"All religions insist they have found the truth, despite the fact there are hundreds of religions and thousands of denominations preaching contradictory beliefs. This made me wonder, if religions were REALLY concerned about finding the truth, how would we expect them to behave?

I wouldn’t expect to see religious or inter-denominational wars, such as we have seen between Shia and Sunni Muslims, Catholics and Protestants, Muslims and Hindus and others. Obviously, you don’t discover who has the truth by killing those who have different opinions.

Instead, I would expect to see multi-faith working groups in centers of higher learning all over the world, working round the clock, sifting evidence, setting up archaeological expeditions and carrying out research. I would expect these centers of excellence to have ruled out most religions and denominations by now, and be working hard to pare down the remaining short-list of religions.

Finally, I would not expect religions to cling to dogma that cannot be changed; rather I would expect religions readily to change their beliefs as new evidence is uncovered.

But in the real world, we do see killing, we do see rigid dogma, and we see apologists turning intellectual somersaults to “explain” contradictions and apparent absurdities. But we do not see serious attempts to rule out false religions by mutual consent. Why not?

Because religions are NOT about truth. Truth is not in the least relevant to religions. That is why religions rely on faith and eschew evidence; that is why they rely on the indoctrination of children and not on open-minded inquiry.

Religions are not about finding truth—they are about defending lies".

- Bill Flavel

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Religions Don’t Care About Truth by CAPSLOCKED: 2:16pm On Aug 06, 2018
dalaman:
"All religions insist they have found the truth, despite the fact there are hundreds of religions and thousands of denominations preaching contradictory beliefs.

Because religions are NOT about truth. Truth is not in the least relevant to religions. That is why religions rely on faith and eschew evidence; that is why they rely on the indoctrination of children and not on open-minded inquiry.

Religions are not about finding truth—they are about defending lies".

- Bill Flavel

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Religions Don’t Care About Truth by dalaman: 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2018
^^

Fact!

1 Like

Re: Why Religions Don’t Care About Truth by tintingz(m): 2:32pm On Aug 06, 2018
Religions are not about finding truth—they are about defending lies.

This got me.

2 Likes

Re: Why Religions Don’t Care About Truth by dalaman: 3:07pm On Aug 06, 2018
tintingz:
Religions are not about finding truth—they are about defending lies.

This got me.

It got me too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Religions Don’t Care About Truth by dalaman: 12:55pm On Aug 07, 2018
Fear is what fuels all religions.
Re: Why Religions Don’t Care About Truth by kkins25(m): 11:03pm On Aug 19, 2018
indeed OP, religionist dont seem to investigate their so called "truth of a religion". No wonder some entrepreneurs are hitting forbes list in the guise of being pastors.
Lucky me, I realised their "al-taqiya", now we know they are "pastor-preneurs" and "business-malams". they make money by exploiting the stupidity of their brethen.
entrepreneurs are evil.lol

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Panam Percy Paul Reveals His Secrets / Does God Really Support Any Religion? / Roman Catholics Worldwide Praying In Cemeteries To Free Souls From ‘purgatory’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.