Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:40 AM

Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? (9552 Views)

How Cheap And Reliable Are Cars On Auctionexport.com? / What Are Cars Turning Into Check This Ride Bmw Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe / Why Are Cars Still Costly In Nig. After The Lift Of Ban On Tokunbo Cars By Fg? (2) (3) (4)

Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by sdbaba: 4:58pm On Jun 20, 2010
Hello Nairalanders,

Would like to know which state in the US has the cheapest cars. Is it New York, New Jersey, Dallas or Houston?

Any ideas about shipments and costs from any of these places will be greatly appreciated as well.

Many Thanks
Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by KunleA2(m): 7:36pm On Jun 20, 2010
Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by sdbaba: 9:00pm On Jun 20, 2010
Waiting for your contributions guys, abi na because na Sunday and today na Father's Day na him make forum come dry small? wink wink
Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by sultaan(m): 12:46am On Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by BizBooks(m): 1:19am On Jun 21, 2010
Pennsylvania. They have no competition in the East Coast.
Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by german007(m): 1:21am On Jun 21, 2010
@OP.

In my personal opinion and from my personal experience, cars are cheapest in California.

Only downside is the proximity of Lagos-bound ports to it.

The nearest port to it is Texas,  trucking has cost me as much as $750 before.

Good Luck with your quest.  cool

Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by BizBooks(m): 1:34am On Jun 21, 2010
German007 is correct. In the West Coast, cars are cheaper in California and Nevada. But it will cost you an arm and a leg to transport it to the nearest port.

Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by KunleA2(m): 1:47am On Jun 21, 2010
sdbaba:

Hello Nairalanders,

Would like to know which state in the US has the cheapest cars. Is it New York, New Jersey, Dallas or Houston?

Any ideas about shipments and costs from any of these places will be greatly appreciated as well.

Many Thanks

What i will tell you is that "cheap" is always relative. What is cheap to you might not be to me. A lot of things do affect the "cheapness" of a car. There is no one place in the world that can have an absolute edge/advantage of  something like a vehicle. However, having lived in California i know that there are quite a few bargains here. The downside as someone mentioned earlier is the proximity to the ports.

California has the highest number of registered vehicles in the US. That is a double edged sword. You have the volume of cars to chose from and there are also lots of competition. California cars tend to be very clean also. We also don't have rust problem unlike in the East Coast. So its not uncommon to find older cars in very nice shape. Clean engine. Rust free.

I have bought cars out of state before and i have seen lots and lots of cars bought from outsiders from California. It all depends on what is a bargain to you. I don't think that you will get a simple straight response. Answers will be subjective and all over the place.

With that said, and having live in California for almost 2 decades, i will go with California, all the way. I know it and more importantly believe in California. Distance or not !

Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by sdbaba: 2:00am On Jun 21, 2010
@Kunle-A, @German007, @Bizbooks and @Sultaan

Thanks to you all for your submissions. I think from my previous knowledge as well, california seems to be the best in terms of car bargains but one may end up spending the difference on transportation to a port.

Thanks once again guys cool cool cool
Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by sultaan(m): 2:14am On Jun 21, 2010
So when you add up the cost, florida is still cheaper
Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by KunleA2(m): 2:24am On Jun 21, 2010
When getting from Florida, you still need to be careful. Miami is about 6 hrs from Jacksonville. So it might end up costing you like $400 to transport to the port. With about $750 to transport to the port in California, the difference is about $350.

You always wanna get as close to the port as possible, but that is not always practical.

If you can make more than that in the bargain you get on the car, every little help.

Good luck.
Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by german007(m): 2:37am On Jun 21, 2010
Furthermore, the extreme level of cleanliness of Californian cars, outweighs other factors.

Definitely worth the $300 difference.

Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by sultaan(m): 3:34am On Jun 21, 2010
Kunle-A:

When getting from Florida, you still need to be careful. Miami is about 6 hrs from Jacksonville. So it might end up costing you like $400 to transport to the port. With about $750 to transport to the port in California, the difference is about $350.

You always wanna get as close to the port as possible, but that is not always practical.

If you can make more than that in the bargain you get on the car, every little help.

Good luck.

I know if I am planning to drive the whole length of the state

german007:

Furthermore, the extreme level of cleanliness of Californian cars, outweighs other factors.

Definitely worth the $300 difference.

I guess you have not seen Florida's used cars
Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by german007(m): 3:44am On Jun 21, 2010
sultaan:

I know if I am plan to drive the whole length of the state

I Most certainly have.

Bought a few cars from Florida and Currently have 4 Cars purchased from Florida, all enroute to Lagos VIA Jacksonville.

I still reckon California Cars stand out more.

What state do you usually buy your cars from.

REGARDS. cool cool
Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by KunleA2(m): 4:41am On Jun 21, 2010
sultaan:

The spoiler for Florida car is that you sometimes get those cars from the East coast mixed in. Cos of the Hwy 95 that run all the way from New York to South Florida, most cars from New York end up in Florida with rust problems.

Also, the Miami weather can make cars rust especially very close to the coastal region. That is what can "spoil" the pureness of Florid cars.

Cars from east seldom end up in California. Even cars in coastal part of California can have rust but they are very minimal.
Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by sultaan(m): 12:45pm On Jun 21, 2010
I guess the cars on the west coast are not affected by the sea as on east coast undecided

The sea does not to as much damage to cars as road salt. You may say some of the cars might have been affected by hurricane, but generally a lot of these cars were driven by retirees on good streets, not too poor to skip maintenance.

Bought 2 autos from Florida, and they were cheap and in good shape compared to a lot in the market, one is the WJ
Re: Where Are Cars Cheapest In The Us? by Homeyfav: 8:45am On Jul 02, 2022
Financial website GOBankingRates collected data from AAA.com, CarInsurance.com, CarMax.com, CarMD.com, individual state Department of Motor Vehicle sites, Kelley Blue Book and the National Conference of State Legislatures, to determine the costs of owning a car in all 50 states of the USA.

The data totals the cost of buying and owning a car for three years for the following six metrics: annual gas costs, assuming you fill up a 14-gallon tank once a week; annual insurance premiums; car sales tax; average car maintenance and repair; and title and registration fees.

Based on that data, here are the 10 most affordable states to own a car:

1. New Hampshire

Costs for three years of ownership: $10,033.49

2. North Carolina

Costs for three years of ownership: $10,458.23

3. Virginia

Costs for three years of ownership: $10,717.46

4. New Mexico

Costs for three years of ownership: $11,154.68
5. Missouri

Costs for three years of ownership: $11,158.09
6. Ohio

Costs for three years of ownership: $11,166.10
7. Montana

Costs for three years of ownership: $11,167.41

8. Mississippi

Costs for three years of ownership: $11,169.20
9. Alaska

Costs for three years of ownership: $11,258.09
10. Oregon

Costs for three years of ownership: $11,322.84

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/18/the-top-10-cheapest-states-to-own-a-car.html

Porsche And Singer Vehicles Collaborate To Make Porsche 964 DLS / What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? / Pls I Need A Mini-bus For Hire Purchase