Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

To Rebuild Or To Replace? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / To Rebuild Or To Replace? (23565 Views)

Small Nyash... The Rebuild/restoration / How To Rebuild A Honda Accord 1999 V6 Rack And Pinion Steering Gear / Imo Black Cab: Innoson Buses Replace Keke In Owerri (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:58pm On Aug 08, 2018
oblo:

Bros u no shift goal post o.. Na the whole stadium you relocate angry

all join, we de discuss car and vehicles within our region grin
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:59pm On Aug 08, 2018
EgunMogaji:
We do replace engines here too and there are many companies bringing in used engines from Japan especially.

Most of the times, the engines that I have replaced have been to get a better JDM or GDM engine that has more power.

Is replacing an engine cheaper and faster> Of course but the customer needs to be given a chance to make a decision.

What I see here is a "we only replace engine" mantra.

This is not good for customer service.

We only have happy customers is also good too.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 08, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

And at the end of the day this is what matters grin

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by johnabraham: 9:25pm On Aug 08, 2018
in many Asian countries, engine rebuild is done in such a fantastic way that it will feel like driving vehicle with a new engine...
but sadly in our part of the world, replacement with a good toks unit is the best choice..... (my opinion)
engine was replaced for one of my past vehicle and the person who bought vehicle is still enjoying it since last 1.5 years

4 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Piyke: 9:30pm On Aug 08, 2018
Gazzuzz I didn't know you belong to APC cheesy which kind goal post moving be this na?
No rebuilding for this engine. Such an engine should be replaced, if possible replace person in charge of its maintenance too

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by mayor2013: 9:32pm On Aug 08, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
with the level of damage, what do you think will be the average repair cost?

Can we put into consideration the type of engine with this palm oil so we can give an average repair cost. Considering this engine. I would personally replace this
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by weyreypey: 9:52pm On Aug 08, 2018
Rebuild is not worth the effort or time if a replacement engine is readily available
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Inception(m): 10:16pm On Aug 08, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
with the level of damage, what do you think will be the average repair cost?

sludge buildup. Best solution is a complete dissaambly of top cylinder and possibly soak top block ( for hours) in a dissolving agent(solvent). There are are proven solvents in the market that can achieve this( can't remember any for now). Very important to take note of oil passages. Valve shims to be inspected, cam lobes to be inspected, journal bearings to be inspected. Camshaft to be inspected.

This can be repairable to factory specs with the right tools and expertise, religiously following repair manual for tolerances.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 10:18pm On Aug 08, 2018
oblo:
If you have time and mony for a complete teardown then by all means go ahead... But I seriously doubt if you can remove the gunk from all nooks, crevices and passageways. Abi u wan use laser? tongue

Actually, previously mentioned machine will de-gunk it in 45 mins

Inception:

sludge buildup. Best solution is a complete dissaambly of top cylinder and possibly soak top block ( for hours) in a dissolving agent(solvent). There are are proven solvents in the market that can achieve this( can't remember any for now). Very important to take note of oil passages. Valve shims to be inspected, cam lobes to be inspected, journal bearings to be inspected. Camshaft to be inspected.

This can be repairable to factory specs with the right tools and expertise, religiously following repair manual for tolerances.

Exactly what I'm talking about. We use it for trannies too. It takes solvent detergent and steam and in 45 minutes, it looks like a rapper's brand new grill. grin

Stuff like this: https://www.transtar1.com/products/parts-cleaning

Yes, we have one in the shop wink
We came strapped for war with Naija problems o

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 10:20pm On Aug 08, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Yes, but will they still be if they knew there was another choice?
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 10:20pm On Aug 08, 2018
Piyke:
Gazzuzz I didn't know you belong to APC cheesy which kind goal post moving be this na?
No rebuilding for this engine. Such an engine should be replaced, if possible replace person in charge of its maintenance too

LMAO!
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Readonee35L(m): 10:44pm On Aug 08, 2018
radautoworks:

Exactly what I'm talking about. We use it for trannies too. It takes solvent and steam and in 45 minutes, it looks like a rapper's brand new grill. grin

I'm curious about this Transformation 1000 Machine you've been talking about grin
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by weyreypey: 11:01pm On Aug 08, 2018
radautoworks:

Exactly what I'm talking about. We use it for trannies too. It takes solvent and steam and in 45 minutes, it looks like a rapper's brand new grill. grin

My engine and transmission like this one Gazzuzz bought with warranty is less than 150k why bother with the rebuilding brouhaha...
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 11:08pm On Aug 08, 2018
weyreypey:

My engine and transmission like this one Gazzuzz bought with warranty is less than 150k why bother with the rebuilding brouhaha...

Because it's not just about price. Like a couple of people said, when done right you pretty much have a new engine.

Plus he started it! points at Gazzuzz grin

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 11:09pm On Aug 08, 2018
Readonee35L:

I'm curious about this Transformation 1000 Machine you've been talking about grin

The one we have is the bend pak/ranger RS500 spray cabinet. They didn't use detergent in the video FYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIPZ2f2Dl1Y
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by weyreypey: 11:17pm On Aug 08, 2018
radautoworks:

Because it's not just about price. Like a couple of people said, when done right you pretty much have a new engine.

Plus he started it! points at Gazzuzz grin
Madam no offeinse... Time to get a qualified technician, queue on his roll call, then hope and pray he gets it right...then pay a huge sum with my heart in my mouth while taking the car away....

Haba no way....just buy a replacement engine fix and drive away with a bootload of spare parts from the condemned engine... Win-win situation... With a two to three weeks warranty... From the seller

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by LeJeun3: 11:21pm On Aug 08, 2018

GAZZUZZ:
[color=#000099]chairmen and woman have spoken, oya let's shift the goalpost a little....

Would you rather rebuild this (the current state of an average Nigerians engine) or replaces it, oya fire on!

sultaan, egunmogaji, piyke, Obekediamondfuto, thebigkendo, thecar, sooperrescue, Banky3w, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, autologic, Autoelectng, Kingreign, chukel, radautoworks, opsudei1, oblo, weyreypeye, razaqmb, nurey, nwanneni, Princetom1, cosplay, johnabraham, evilspirit,deedee44, carshopper, protocol, taxiappguy, ifyeez,gentlelife50, jayooh, jergermeister, lacomb, chillex8, fogman, Enyinne krisrock. akanniade10 Kashif chucsmoore and all the others I cannot remember.......

Goalpost changed or not....

The size of engine and ultimate cost of such an engine, would be the main factor considered in either a rebuild or replacement.

If a Toyota Yaris is towed into my workshop, I would give an invoice for a replacement engine immediately. Fiddling with that size of engine when I am not going to increase the bores, fit in sport pistons and a turbo isn't worth it to. Secondly, clients with the desire for a rebuild in this case are trying to cut costs and essentially would not afford the cost of genuine new parts for said engine....

The cost of a V8 engine of same cleaness will buy a used car of same model most times.....

So a rebuild is preferred.
[/color]

4 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by LeJeun3: 11:23pm On Aug 08, 2018
Inception:

I am not looking for any special solvent abeg.....

- Thinner
- Diesel
- Acid

Ban gan wani shegen karfe that can withstand this treatment....!

3 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 11:29pm On Aug 08, 2018
LeJeun3:

Goalpost changed or not....

The size of engine and ultimate cost of such an engine, would be the main factor considered in either a rebuild or replacement.

If a Toyota Yaris is towed into my workshop, I would give an invoice for a replacement engine immediately. Fiddling with that size of engine when I am not going to increase the bores, fit in sport pistons and a turbo isn't worth it to. Secondly, clients with the desire for a rebuild in this case are trying to cut costs and essentially would not afford the cost of genuine new parts for said engine....

The cost of a V8 engine of same cleaness will buy a used car of same model most times.....

So a rebuild is preferred.

Agreed. That's why I said Corolla, no. Lx470, hell yeah after teardown and inspection.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 11:39pm On Aug 08, 2018
weyreypey:

Madam no offeinse... Time to get a qualified technician, queue on his roll call, then hope and pray he gets it right...then pay a huge sum with my heart in my mouth while taking the car away....

Haba no way....just buy a replacement engine fix and drive away with a bootload of spare parts from the condemned engine... Win-win situation... With a two to three weeks warranty... From the seller

Aight
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:23am On Aug 09, 2018
radautoworks the last woman standing.... Its 12:22am here wink

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 1:05am On Aug 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
radautoworks the last woman standing.... Its 12:22am here wink

Not my fault. My day is barely starting. As I write it is just 7pm. Plus this baby doesn't seem to understand world cup is over.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by eherbal(m): 2:03am On Aug 09, 2018
based on sound arguments so far, team rebuild wins all roundsgrin

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Nobody: 2:23am On Aug 09, 2018
Piyke:
grin grin grin well said.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Nobody: 3:23am On Aug 09, 2018
The last major work I did was on my MR2.

It developed a water leak in the cylinder head near a spark plug hole. It was completely drivable but when water had an opportunity to pool in their then it will cause a misfire which will go away as soon as the water evaporated.

Anyways, instead of swapping the engine, I simply removed the head and exchanged it at a machine shop or online (I forgot) and reinstalled it.

So guys, if the same thing happened in Nigeria, would you swap engines or just change the head?

PS: The engine had 285,000 miles on it and was sold at over 300,000 miles.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Kashif(m): 6:34am On Aug 09, 2018
oblo:
If you have time and mony for a complete teardown then by all means go ahead... But I seriously doubt if you can remove the gunk from all nooks, crevices and passageways. Abi u wan use laser? tongue

There are parts washers....

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:37am On Aug 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:

It developed a water leak in the cylinder head near a spark plug hole. It was completely drivable but when water had an opportunity to pool in their then it will cause a misfire which will go away as soon as the water evaporated.

Anyways, instead of swapping the engine, I simply removed the head and exchanged it at a machine shop or online (I forgot) and reinstalled it.

So guys, if the same thing happened in Nigeria, would you swap engines or just change the head?

cheesy This engine nah ancestor, it will get an aluminum weld in the machine shop and go back to business wink

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:39am On Aug 09, 2018
radautoworks:

Not my fault. My day is barely starting. As I write it is just 7pm. Plus this baby doesn't seem to understand world cup is over.

baby is bursting a shaku shaku move..... grin like Mama like .....
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 6:48am On Aug 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

baby is bursting a shaku shaku move..... grin like Mama like .....

If I catch this girl doing shaku shaku, koboko ehn!
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 6:49am On Aug 09, 2018
Kashif:

There are parts washers....
Yes!
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 6:50am On Aug 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Heads. You win smiley

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Nobody: 6:56am On Aug 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

cheesy This engine nah ancestor, it will get an aluminum weld in the machine shop and go back to business wink

Now we’re making progress.

So we have a machine shop, we also have an aluminum welder.

It’s good.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips / Best Colour To Go For In A Car!!! / LRU Officials Rescue Car From Canal (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.