Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,402 members, 7,808,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Don't Neglect The Importance of Domain Knowledge - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Don't Neglect The Importance of Domain Knowledge (914 Views)

The Importance Of Github To A Programmer / The Importance Of Email Automation For Businesses / The Importance Of Software Testing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Don't Neglect The Importance of Domain Knowledge by harryobas: 12:29pm On Aug 09, 2018
As developers we all love to write code and we are always looking to improve our coding skills. However, in order to develop professional real world applications, i strongly believe that technical knowledge alone is not enough. Every application you develop or are planing to develop is either explicitly or implicitly targeted at a domain such as banking, retail, aviation etc. As developers we are obviously not domain experts and cannot for example claim to have the same level of banking knowledge as a banker/banking professional. But as software engineers/developers we need to have basic knowledge of the various entities/concepts of our application domain to enable us better understand application requirements which in turn enables us to produce good reliable software artifacts such as specs, architecture and code.

All too often i come across developers who tend to focus solely on technical aspects(i.e languages and frameworks) neglecting domain knowledge and i believe this is an error. Now i am not saying technical knowledge is not important but as developers we should not neglect the importance of domain knowledge. KNOW YOUR DOMAIN smiley
Re: Don't Neglect The Importance of Domain Knowledge by Piuscrown: 10:56pm On Aug 09, 2018
Good advice...

(1) (Reply)

Validating A Form / Programmers Jokes, Memes, Prayers, Fun Thread 2018 / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.