Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. (22607 Views)

17-Year-Old Girl Lures Man From Lagos To Osun, Robs Him Of N1.5M (Pictures) / Woman Gang-Raped And Robbed Of N30,000 In Edo & Killed (Photo) / Policemen Arrested At A Bank While Waiting To Extort Men Of N1 Million. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by dreamwords: 3:31pm On Aug 10, 2018
HungerBAD:
This is bad.

This could have been prevented to a large extent if that person was like me.

My BVN is in my head.

I have no ATM cards(not even one), I don't have online access to any of my accounts. I don't have a current account or sign cheques.

Whatever I have, are in my Savings Accounts,and for you to take anything from there, you have to walk into the Bank.

It is not convenient, but it is better and safer.
But u are using a website created probably via the help of a MasterCard atm
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Obainoneandonly(m): 3:37pm On Aug 10, 2018
this is a 100% inside job.someone she trust so much is behind it......speaking from experience
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by doskie(m): 4:00pm On Aug 10, 2018
HungerBAD:
This is bad.

My BVN is in my head.

I have no ATM cards(not even one), I don't have online access to any of my accounts. I don't have a current account or sign cheques.

Whatever I have, are in my Savings Accounts,and for you to take anything from there, you have to walk into the Bank.

but the bank should have placed a safe daily withdrawal and transfer limit.
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by johnaruson(m): 4:01pm On Aug 10, 2018
Sue mtn to court of law.
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Solatium(m): 4:13pm On Aug 10, 2018
Shaev7:

I am not misinforming anyone. Have you ever made transfer via USSD and OTP or TOKEN is sent as SMS to your phone? If yes then set your security properly, because, USSD I know just requires pin (possibly last 3 digits of your ATM number) and which if its wrong transactions will not take place. So can you compare with Bank App or I- banking that will either send OTP or TOKEN, which is Sim related? That is the reason this fraudsters still deal with persons with Mobile App and I-banking. Don't quote me wrong, now am not saying that USSD is perfectly safe, but at least its better because no SMS will be sent as to validate transactions, only your PIN 4 digits which is same process you perform using your ATM at the machine. Does your ATM on inserting your card sends you message to validate transactions apart from type your pin, withdrawn your money and get out from there?
So bro, generally we just need to be cautious of what we do with our phone and online.

Was it only USSD Services you mentioned in your comments? the fact you embrace USSD as your preferred choice of banking does not make it the best,those Sims been stolen and people losing their money are connected to USSD Services which is the easiest to steal people's money, How many internet banking or Bank official APP user have lost their money in recent time?
For you to steal people's money via internet banking/ mobile app,you must have a combination of the person's password and Token/OTP/PIN which is extremely difficult to get in 99% of the time,the only time that is possible is when you put a gun to people's head.
I worry less when my sim goes missing, because you can't effect any financial transaction on my line,You can't get any jack of my financial transaction.
My advice for you is to quit the USSD and embarce a proper internet banking, USSD is prone to fraud

1 Like

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Shaev7(m): 5:06pm On Aug 10, 2018
Solatium:

Was it only USSD Services you mentioned in your comments? the fact you embrace USSD as your preferred choice of banking does not make it the best,those Sims been stolen and people losing their money are connected to USSD Services which is the easiest to steal people's money, How many internet banking or Bank official APP user have lost their money in recent time?
For you to steal people's money via internet banking/ mobile app,you must have a combination of the person's password and Token/OTP/PIN which is extremely difficult to get in 99% of the time,the only time that is possible is when you put a gun to people's head.
I worry less when my sim goes missing, because you can't effect any financial transaction on my line,You can't get any jack of my financial transaction.
My advice for you is to quit the USSD and embarce a proper internet banking, USSD is prone to fraud
Don't worry, misplace your phone with App on it and watch the next action if you don't contact your bank on time. You and I know that both banks and Telecommunications company are working with some of this fraudsters. You may quote me anywhere. I have 3 persons who recently had their phone stolen with all bank App on it, their money was cleared from their account in no time. So brother, it's all the same, we all have to be careful. All medium are not safe.
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Solatium(m): 6:17pm On Aug 10, 2018
Shaev7:

Don't worry, misplace your phone with App on it and watch the next action if you don't contact your bank on time. You and I know that both banks and Telecommunications company are working with some of this fraudsters. You may quote me anywhere. I have 3 persons who recently had their phone stolen with all bank App on it, their money was cleared from their account in no time. So brother, it's all the same, we all have to be careful. All medium are not safe.

From your replies, it's obvious you have never used a banking app before,none of these apps retains the log in detail,i.e Username and password,you have to put them in by yourself,how do you then Guess a username and password that contains Uppercase, lowercase, Special Character and Figures? how do you guess the PIN/OTP/Token digit?
Dude talk within your knowledge,I repeat talk within what you Know.Chikena
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Shaev7(m): 7:21pm On Aug 10, 2018
Solatium:

From your replies, it's obvious you have never used a banking app before,none of these apps retains the log in detail,i.e Username and password,you have to put them in by yourself,how do you then Guess a username and password that contains Uppercase, lowercase, Special Character and Figures? how do you guess the PIN/OTP/Token digit?
Dude talk within your knowledge,I repeat talk within what you Know.Chikena
You sound like you developed these apps and you sound like within your own knowledge. People who are into tech knows what am talking about. You just speak like you are so secured using these apps. Read my first quote properly if you will spot in any of my write ups that it retains Username and Pw. Let me tell you Internet Banking is even more safe than Mobile App if you don't save Username and Passwords. Ask anybody you'll be told. Even ask a bank staff you will be told. If I were you think of how to be cautious and don't be too confident about this banking apps and all that...
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Schuffeadv23: 7:35pm On Aug 10, 2018
Donald95:
This story no add at all.

Was it also MTN that gave out your USSD banking transaction pin?
I no won talk too much abeg I won sleep.

Why Bank first instead of customer care. You knew exactly where they were heading next because you've compromised some personal data

MTN don't just swap like that. Their are some basic personal info that must be submitted to convince customer care.

If your money was actually transferred, don't panic the money went from a destination to a destination and that destination it went to has an owner that can be traced chikina

Don't say what you don't know, I have a girlfriend that works at MTN connect in Maitama, she gets frequent request from fraudsters to swap sims illegally. Some offers up to 2m.

1 Like

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Solatium(m): 7:52pm On Aug 10, 2018
Shaev7:

You sound like you developed these apps and you sound like within your own knowledge. People who are into tech knows what am talking about. You just speak like you are so secured using these apps. Read my first quote properly if you will spot in any of my write ups that it retains Username and Pw. Let me tell you Internet Banking is even more safe than Mobile App if you don't save Username and Passwords. Ask anybody you'll be told. Even ask a bank staff you will be told. If I were you think of how to be cautious and don't be too confident about this banking apps and all that...

and USSD is safer compare to Internet banking and Mobile app? I don hear you... I do not need to be a developer before I know that a service with Two /three layer of security is safer compare to an unstructured supplementary Service.
What works for u doesn't work for me.continue with your USSD usage
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by kennykg(m): 8:25pm On Aug 10, 2018
I really don't believe this story from my view

1. When mtn sends you a message it bears mtn as the sender automatically, but this one shows message body
Let's say its the phone ( China phone )

2. At the end of the message it shows

(......)

Mtn messages never shows this even if its comes in parts it shows " some texts missing "

Let say again maybe its the phone type

3. Mtn id case numbers are never that short 369551 its more than 7numbers

4. You can't do a sim swap legally if you don't come with a valid I'd card bearing the exact name on the sim , having your photograph on the card same as you doing the saw and the one on the mtn database taken during sim registration, frequently dailed number,last recharge, etc

Let's say he/she was able to bride his way

5. You can't do a sim swap on mtn and get an alert of the swap on the same old damaged line, its impossible either its on an alternative number you provide or. maybe the new one

6. What's the victims bank? What's the daily limit for mobile banking cause most banks are within 100,000- 200,000 expect in some cases.

7. The mode of transfer that was used ATM,ussd,mobile app ,inside job , online transfer

If its ATM then the physical ATM card is needed with the correct ATM pin cause you got 5 trials before the card get damaged from too many trials and can't withdraw,recharge and transfer up to #1m in a day (debatable)

If its ussd then the pin must be known and am sure you can't transfer 1m via ussd in a day

If its mobile, the phone that the victim got the swap alert on is not an android phone so he/ she doesnt have the mobile app on this phone or doesn't use it... But if it was on another phone owned by the victim before you can install and use a.new mobile banking app on a different phone it would ask you some details which you must provide such as account number, phone number , BVN, otp, the long numbers at the front of ATM, ATM expiration date, Security ( 3 digit number at the back of the card), a security question, date of birth, pin..if you get this successful then you can use the app which also has its daily limit below #1m

If it was an inside job then it would be in colabo an mtn staff, a bank staff and someone close that would knows all the information.

Why didn't the complaint also post bank alert or a proof to show #1m was stolen and also tag his/her bank

If it really happened, then you only need to trace the account it was transferred to and pick the account holder(s), if it was an ATM withdrawal with a cloned card simply make an official report and the ATM cam would be check to know who when where it was done,

At the end someone(s) would lose his/her job and would be behind bars for a while cause mtn doesn't joke with such cases trust me I know.

But I know the complaint on twitter is lying just for cheap retweet at the end it would be them say and account deactivation....
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by EmmanuelCena(m): 9:31pm On Aug 10, 2018
Donald95:
This story no add at all.

Was it also MTN that gave out your USSD banking transaction pin?
I no won talk too much abeg I won sleep.

Why Bank first instead of customer care. You knew exactly where they were heading next because you've compromised some personal data

MTN don't just swap like that. Their are some basic personal info that must be submitted to convince customer care.

If your money was actually transferred, don't panic the money went from a destination to a destination and that destination it went to has an owner that can be traced chikina

Lol.
Boss, that money is not traceable.
Same thing happens with POS fraud.
The banks CANNOT trace the money.
So, stay woke man!
Ji masun!
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by EmmanuelCena(m): 9:34pm On Aug 10, 2018
kennykg:
I really don't believe this story from my view

1. When mtn sends you a message it bears mtn as the sender automatically, but this one shows message body
Let's say its the phone ( China phone )

2. At the end of the message it shows

(......)

Mtn messages never shows this even if its comes in parts it shows " some texts missing "

Let say again maybe its the phone type

3. Mtn id case numbers are never that short 369551 its more than 7numbers

4. You can't do a sim swap legally if you don't come with a valid I'd card bearing the exact name on the sim , having your photograph on the card same as you doing the saw and the one on the mtn database taken during sim registration, frequently dailed number,last recharge, etc

Let's say he/she was able to bride his way

5. You can't do a sim swap on mtn and get an alert of the swap on the same old damaged line, its impossible either its on an alternative number you provide or. maybe the new one

6. What's the victims bank? What's the daily limit for mobile banking cause most banks are within 100,000- 200,000 expect in some cases.

7. The mode of transfer that was used ATM,ussd,mobile app ,inside job , online transfer

If its ATM then the physical ATM card is needed with the correct ATM pin cause you got 5 trials before the card get damaged from too many trials and can't withdraw,recharge and transfer up to #1m in a day (debatable)

If its ussd then the pin must be known and am sure you can't transfer 1m via ussd in a day

If its mobile, the phone that the victim got the swap alert on is not an android phone so he/ she doesnt have the mobile app on this phone or doesn't use it... But if it was on another phone owned by the victim before you can install and use a.new mobile banking app on a different phone it would ask you some details which you must provide such as account number, phone number , BVN, otp, the long numbers at the front of ATM, ATM expiration date, Security ( 3 digit number at the back of the card), a security question, date of birth, pin..if you get this successful then you can use the app which also has its daily limit below #1m

If it was an inside job then it would be in colabo an mtn staff, a bank staff and someone close that would knows all the information.

Why didn't the complaint also post bank alert or a proof to show #1m was stolen and also tag his/her bank

If it really happened, then you only need to trace the account it was transferred to and pick the account holder(s), if it was an ATM withdrawal with a cloned card simply make an official report and the ATM cam would be check to know who when where it was done,

At the end someone(s) would lose his/her job and would be behind bars for a while cause mtn doesn't joke with such cases trust me I know.

But I know the complaint on twitter is lying just for cheap retweet at the end it would be them say and account deactivation....

Lol.
All these plenty talk nah story.

Just don't let Internet gangster get hold of your phone boss.
Or your atm
They don't need to know your pin oooo

They go move the money...
And funny thing is Banks will be UNABLE TO TRACE IT... ESPECIALLY ATM and POS scams.

I hope you know thieves Rob with POS machines now.
When you go to the bank to trace it, it's totally untraceable!

This is 21st century
You gotta stay woke!

Abi how do you think even interpol can't trace money swindled by Internet gangsters many times?
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by poseidon12: 2:18am On Aug 11, 2018
EmmanuelCena:

Lol.
All these plenty talk nah story.

Just don't let Internet gangster get hold of your phone boss.
Or your atm
They don't need to know your pin oooo

They go move the money...
And funny thing is Banks will be UNABLE TO TRACE IT... ESPECIALLY ATM and POS scams.

I hope you know thieves Rob with POS machines now.
When you go to the bank to trace it, it's totally untraceable!

This is 21st century
You gotta stay woke!

Abi how do you think even interpol can't trace money swindled by Internet gangsters many times?

Yeah right about money stolen by POS not being traceable. POS machines are issued by banks to their customers for their businesses. I don't know of any bank that will issue one to someone they cannot trace.
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by EmmanuelCena(m): 4:16am On Aug 11, 2018
poseidon12:

Yeah right about money stolen by POS not being traceable. POS machines are issued by banks to their customers for their businesses. I don't know of any bank that will issue one to someone they cannot trace.

Nor worry.
I been nor dey follow you argue.
I see say you nor sabi something nah e make I dey tell you.

If dey Rob you with POS, just go your bank.
No worry, dey go find the thief come out for you.
They go even give you he address sef
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Oyerinde16(m): 5:18am On Aug 11, 2018
otunbakolawole:
without pin/password abi?
Once they get your bvn within 10 min they will reset your password
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by siina(m): 5:43am On Aug 11, 2018
QuickStandard:
Similar thing happened to me two weeks back.

So, two weeks ago been wednesday 25/07/2018 i came back early and went straight to my wife's shop, I dropped my Phone on top her table, carried my baby and decided to get noodles to eat from a lady who prepare noodles just across her shop.

When i came back I was like swht where's my phone, she looked at me and said she didn't see my phone that she only saw the ear phones and brought them inside.
I told her that the earphones were with the phones when I left.

That was when she remembered that a guy came to the shop immediately I left and wanted to buy almost everything, he requested for soap, tea, drinks, milk and some other things, and after she arranged everything the guy said he want to take cash from someone overthere to pay, and she (my wife) happy that she's gonna sell lot of stuffs was unsuspecting of anything.

It was after the guy left, she waited and the guy never returned before i came back.

That was when it dawned on us that the guy must have taken the phone while she was busy arranging his requests.

We dialed the number and it was already switched off.

I tried calling MTN to block my line, but the answering machine kept talking, i couldn't talk to any costumer care Rep.

Later in the night at about 7.25pm precisely we tried the number and it was ringing but the thief kept busying the calls.
that was when I realized something must be fishy because;

1. My Phone is pass worded, meaning my phone can't be accessed unless he's gonna flash the phone that night, and even if he does meaning all the info in my phone would be gone, so I wasn't loosing sleep

2. I have two sim in the phone, the second sim was still switched off.

my thoughts, why will my mtn sim be on and the second line off?

so we started dialing the number, the criminal kept on cutting the calls.

I was worried, does it mean these guys want to commit fraud with my line? why will someone still a phone and instead of throwing away the sim card< he still kept the sim.

I decided to go online to see the easiest way to talk to mtn costumer care service.
until i saw this;

"How To Easily Reach Any MTN Customer Care Rep? Dial 180. Press 9 to go the main menu. Press 6 for support. Press 0 to speak with a Customer Care Rep.".

I followed the procedures and finally i spoke with them to blocked the line.

after asking me a couple of questions and answering them successfully, they promised to block the line.

we kept on calling my line afterwards and it kept on ringing, till someone with well spoken English picked and sincerely i rained curses on him, the guy cut and i called him back he picked, He now told me to calm down that he's a police officer, and that the person that stole my phone was already arrested, that i should come to the station 8.am the next morning.

I told him to give me his number that i have already called mtn to block the line, He declined giving me his number saying there's no need, that his name is Osas, once i get to the station I should ask of him.

After I dropped to my surprise he called me back and said I should call mtn not to block the line, I said ok, but I decided not to call MTN back.

first thing in the morning the following day, I went to the station to complain but I was told there's no officer with the name osas in that station, that I have been deceived.

So i went to MTN office to retrieve my line.

But decided to check my account balance, lo and behold, the some of 15k had already been deducted from my account.

How did they manage to do that i don't know, but thank God for the timely intervention of MTN agent that night.

But all I know is that the line is the line linked with my BVN number and that's what i use to receive alert.

immediately my sim cad was active yesterday all the alert were just pouring in, and to my surprise they were removing, 1000, 2000, 1000......
but thank God that they didn't remove everything once, towards the end before the line was blocked, they even checked my balance to know how much was remaining.

Only God know what would have happen to my account if the line wasn't swiftly blocked.

Am sharing this so that others can also learn. These fraudster are real and ready to wreck havoc.

My advice to everyone that encounters this, is that he/she should call mtn customer care service to immediately block the said line.
This same thing happened to a lady I know but she got a court order to her bank to reveal the details of the person who has the account the money was transferred to, and lo and behold they got all the culprits arrested and got her money back. Lets not just accept everything that happens to us, lets take actions as well to teach this culprits a lesson so that this act could stop.

1 Like

Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by mechanics(m): 9:36am On Aug 11, 2018
How comes they were able to get her BVN?
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by Rochasstatue(f): 1:08pm On Aug 11, 2018
[quote author=FlirtyKaren post=70141159]A man has taken to twitter to rant on how an MTN customer lost N1 million to fraudsters after MTN allegedly gave them access to her SIM and allowed it to be swapped without her consent.

The affected lady identified as Miss Joy allegedly got the message from MTN after her SIM had been successfully swapped by the scammers.

Customer robbed of N1 million after MTN allegedly gave access to her SIM

Read the post as updated on twitter by @touchsquarehq

https://lailasnews.com/customer-robbed-of-n1-million-after-mtn-allegedly-gave-access-to-her-sim/

A girl got robbed a man reports it.
First suspect?
The man!

A man jealous that his wife was paying more attention to their dog instead of him, drowned the dog one day his wife went out to buy groceries.
Re: Customer Robbed Of N1 Million After MTN Allegedly Gave Access To Her SIM. by 400billionman: 5:45pm On Aug 15, 2018
HungerBAD:
This is bad.

My BVN is in my head.

You can own a current account and instruct the bank not to pay third parties at all from your account or mandate a limit on third party cheques like N20000 Also one account needs to have an ATM card for emergency but it is within your power to limit the account balance to N10000mainly for cash transfers emergency cash withdrawals loading recharge cards on your phone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Suspected Herdsmen Rape 80-year-old Woman To Death On Her Farmland In Ondo / Woman Brutally Kicked Down Brooklyn Subway Escalator (Video, Pix) / I Only Put My Hand, I Didn’t Rape Her - Driver Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.